IGNORED

Jomtien - my very rough guide

davidge

In my early days in this region, I spent many happy times in Jomtien Beach road Soi 6.
Most of those in Yellow House, which closed during Covid.
Are any of the other MP in Soi 6 open again? Anyone can recommend one?
No interest in ladyboys, just girls,  preferably FS

• 4 weeks later...

Great map and info here. Pattaya really is huge. So many different places. 

On 20/07/2015 at 10:41, davidge said:

I recently stayed at View Talay 7 in Jomtien for 18 days.

I'd tried to find out as much as I could before going, including on this forum, but found it quite difficult to find out very much.

I thought I'd post a few details of what I found out during my visit. It won't be any use to those who know Jomtien but, hopefully, may be of some use to a few others.

I'm sure any BM's who know Jomtien better than me will correct any mistakes I make 🙂

I've tried to mark some places on Google Maps and have posted below. Apologies that they're a bit messy, I'm not very good at this stuff!

Travelling between Jomtien and Pattaya:

The blue line on the maps shows the baht bus route. 10 baht as usual. A few times I hired one to get back to Jomtien (from Royal, from Soi LK Metro, from Pattaya Tai) and they agreed to150 baht each time. It would be more if you were going to one of Jomtien's higher numbered Sois.

I only went up as far as Soi 10 so I'm not sure how far they go before turning around.

Going from Jomtien I never had to wait very long before a baht bus came along. It usually took about 15 minutes to get to the lights at the junction between Pattaya Tai and Second Road. Saturday night was slower - up to 30 minutes. Every one I caught went straight on at the junction up Second Road.

To get to Jomtien from Pattaya the baht buses line up outside the school at the junction of Tai and Second. I've put a blue blob on the first map. They won't go until full. It is a bit like 'sardines' as they insist on 6 either side and at least 2 standing at the back! They usually filled up quickly but I occasionally had to wait up to 15 minutes.

I went into Pattaya twice most days and didn't find it too bad. I guess about 90 minutes a day travelling on average. I expect it would be slower in high season so I'm not sure I would want to do it then.

I never use motorbike taxis so can't comment on their cost.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Index to map:

1. VT7

2. Bondi

3. O-la-la

4. Simon's Fish & Chips

5. Immigration

6. Soi 6 - massages

7. Rhompo Market and Bars

8. Pig & Whistle

9. Jomtien Complex

10. The Continental Bakery

11. Food Mart. Bus Station. massage.

12. VT1

13. VT2

14. Pastrami on Rye

Bars:

There is a large group of bars at Rhompo. I went there twice. There is a food, clothes, general goods market next door. Mixed lot of girls and some katoeys. A number of places to eat.

If you are going there from Pattaya the easiest way is probably to stay on the baht bus until the bottom of Soi 7 then walk along the Soi and cross the road at the top.

Soi 7 itself has a lot of bars so you can stop for a drink or two on your way.

Soi Whitehouse is the dead-end Soi next along from Soi 7. Quite a few bars here also. hotel Danmark is on the right at the bottom if you want some Scandinavian food.

There are a few bars in the earlier Sois as well which I didn't explore that much.

There are a couple of quite popular bars on Thappraya Road close to VT7. Country Road is just the beach side of VT7 and has a number of pool tables. The infamous No. 1 A-Go-Go is directly opposite. Country Club is a bit further from the beach on the opposite side to VT7. It has a live band, seemed busy a lot of the time and charged more for drinks. Rumours is directly opposite Country Club and is quieter. I stopped going there when they cheated me on my check bin.

Jomtien Complex is a mainly gay bar area with restaurants. I didn't get upstairs (I'm pretty sure there is an upstairs?) so am not sure what that's like.

Massage:

There are at least 3 massage shops on Soi 6. The first two have a number of katoeys, Yellow House seemed to be only girls. There are also 3 or 4 massage shops on Thappraya near VT7 and down the side Soi opposite. A couple are gay, a couple seem genuine 'no extras' places. There is also a massage place next to the big Foodmart and bus station. I didn't try it but there's a thread on here somewhere ( is it

Rose Apple?).

Shopping:

As I mentioned the large FoodMart, it is 24 hour and has a very wide selection of European food etc. Not cheap! Obviously, there are 7-11's and smaller supermarkets everywhere. 3 on the bit of Thappraya by VT7 alone. There is also a Kodak shop on the same side as VT7 closer to the beach. They did a laminated copy of my passport for me and printed some pics from my phone and my boarding pass.

Restaurants:

Lots and lots of restaurants all over the place. Many expensive, many not.

I've marked those mentioned in my Trip Report

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/273814-back-to-the-future/

And those I reviewed or were mentioned in Nixonsbest breakfast thread

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/130612-nixonsbest-and-worst-breakfasts/

I also did individual reviews of some of them.

Other:

It's a very pleasant walk along Dongtan Beach (turn right as Thappraya reaches the beach) especially late afternoon. The road is closed to traffic during the day but watch out for motorbikes and bicycles. Lots of chairs to hire with free wi-fi advertised and drink sellers. I never got around to using them.

There was construction in the other direction all the way along to Soi 6 so I couldn't walk along next to the beach there. Lots and lots of chairs all the way along the beach to about Soi 8.

The buses go from next to the large FoodMart. I think it's only to the airport?

Finally, I've marked Immigration on Soi 5 in case anyone's not sure where it is. Shuts for lunch at 12. Very useful office next door for photos, copies and information.

If I think of anything else I'll add it. Please feel free to ask anything, or correct anything I've got wrong. 🙂

Edit: thought of something already! Nearly always much cooler in Jomtien than Pattaya especially in the evening. I got off the baht bus coming back from Pattaya at night and could actually walk around without sweating! The breeze starts to pick up late afternoon most days and makes a huge difference. I could also cross the roads without taking my life in my hands.

Edited by Bobby G

• 4 months later...

A new wine shop opens tomorrow at the corner of Chayiuprek and Sukhumvit.

84FB58B8-3A00-4756-A7A3-B1D4482F8E2F.jpeg

I think they have shops in Bangkok and Hua Hin?

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• 2 weeks later...

davidge, thanks for the update.  I’ll be there for a month starting late next month so your insights are most appreciated.  Look forward to more.

Re Hemingways

I was in Pattaya last month (only for a week) but made it down to Jomtien to have a look around as I am interested in that area as a longer term option down the track (thanks for all your info @davidge in this thread …….it is really useful).

I was in Hemingways for a few hours in the afternoon (2pm to 5pm) and I felt like I was back in a local pub back in Australia.  There were about 25 mature men (including myself) sitting up at the bar and quietly having some beers.  No ladies could be seen, no loud music, just the sport and a nice chilled atmosphere.  Most seemed like expats and I thought maybe this is the place the expats go to have a quiet beer and reflect before moving on to more lively spots (with more temptation 😂).

Can’t comment on what it was like at night time but it was an interesting experience.

The place itself is set out really well.  Very impressive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prince Candy said:

Most seemed like expats and I thought maybe this is the place the expats go to have a quiet beer and reflect before moving on to more lively spots

Happy hour ends at 6 so a lot of the expats drink in the afternoon, pay for 3 pints just before 6 (the bar lets them do this), then leave. Given how much most of them drink I think it’s more likely they stagger unsteadily back to their condos than go out on the town :rolleyes:

Hemingway’s shows all the sport and the staff are generally very good so it’s a popular hangout for expats.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok that makes sense….great intel …will have to remember that next time and load up on the beers prior to happy hour finishing 🙏

I really enjoyed the day I spent in Jomtien.  A few hours in Hemingways then went to Surf Kitchen ( I think that was the name of the restaurant) and that meal was very good and then walked up soi 5 and Soi 7 and dropped in at a few bars for a nightcap or 3 😂 and listened to some music and took in the scenes.

Really good vibe in Jomtien.    I also thought the streets in Jomtien looked really clean as well (maybe it was more noticeable as I was coming from central Pattaya 😉) but remember walking around and not seeing much rubbish etc (maybe I went there just after the rubbish collection truck 😂) .

Bolt ride was about 70 going there and 85 going back (was staying in Central Pattaya) and both journeys seemed to be around 15-20 mins.

Anyone contemplating Jomtien as an option, it’s well worth having a quick look to get a feel for the place.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Prince Candy said:

I also thought the streets in Jomtien looked really clean as well (maybe it was more noticeable as I was coming from central Pattaya 😉) but remember walking around and not seeing much rubbish etc (maybe I went there just after the rubbish collection truck 😂) .

Jomtien is generally cleaner than central Pattaya. Before covid lockdowns I took a couple of friends around bars in Sois 4, 5, 7 and Rompho, and they commented on the lack of litter and rubbish on the streets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First day on the beach today. Dongtan pretty busy but I got a lounger at the front a few feet from the sea.

273A42C9-6365-492B-BCD2-7EDDB0A534B8.jpeg

Usual good service from the chair vendors. Towels put chair, umbrellas moved to suit me, 100 baht for chair, 30 baht for a soda, food brought from nearby restaurant. A very pleasant afternoon reading on the beach.

Usual vendors if I’d wanted anything else, but not pushy. Manicure, pedicure, massage, fruit, ice cream, fried food, t-shirts, hats, watches, kamagra etc etc.

Generally a more mature population, with some families. If you’re looking for beach babes then Dongtan isn’t really the place :)

1 hour ago, davidge said:

If you’re looking for beach babes then Dongtan isn’t really the place :)

You do get some attractive Thai and Russian women there.

One year there was a pretty Russian lady every day on the sun lounger next to me. She would take off her bikini top probably assuming that the guys on Dongtan beach were gay (most were) and wouldn't be interested in her.

Fat Bunny is well worth a visit, not an extensive food menu but everything I've had there has been excellent and cheap.

Unfortunately as Cheap Charlie's has gotten busier their standards have started to slip, I guess it's understandable as they are probably struggling for good staff like everyone else.

Heaps of places for breakfast, Happy Viking and Amazon are probably my pick of the bunch.

On 18/12/2022 at 11:21, davidge said:

i use bolt a lot

can you give an idea of current prices

thanks

16 minutes ago, cbedford2005 said:

can you give an idea of current prices

thanks

Jomtien to central Pattaya or back between 65 and 100 depending on how busy the App is. Usually 75-80.

From Jomtien to Central Marina or T21 95-130??

That’s for Bolt or Economy options. Taxi option more expensive and less reliable. Comfort or XL usually about double the Bolt fare.

For shorter distances eg Jomtien to Pratumnak or back it’s 50-70 baht as a rule.

As I’ve regularly said the food in Hemingway’s is pretty average, it’s only fair that I post that the meal I had tonight was absolutely bloody lovely. I enjoyed it more than any meal so far this trip.

It’s a weekly special of Cod in Dill Sauce at 285 baht:

231ED9BE-A1E5-48AE-9A5F-91F47144E249.jpeg

Just a very brief update. 

Foodmart was always open 24 hours pre-covid. I’ve shopped there at 3.30am after a delayed flight. It’s now 6am to Midnight, which is fine for me but just something to note.

The NY traffic and crowds have started in earnest. Thappraya/Thepprasit junction very busy, heavy traffic into Pattaya and the baht buses dripping with people. I did join friends in Pratumnak for breakfast today but Bolt more expensive and harder to get. Going up wasn’t too bad, 15 minute wait and a bit more expensive, but coming back was very difficult. Showed nothing available for a while, except Comfort or XL at over 200 baht! Eventually got a Bolt to take the job but it was over 100 baht and took 40 minutes to reach me.

I don’t think I’ll be going anywhere that isn’t within walking distance of my condo until Monday.

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda to all BMs.

Just now, Tarpon said:

How is Thai Friendly working in the Jomtien area? No problem to get company or are the girls more keen on Pattaya?

Someone else will have to answer that as I’ve never used it. Still do things the old-fashioned way. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Tarpon said:

How is Thai Friendly working in the Jomtien area? No problem to get company or are the girls more keen on Pattaya.

Most will go to Jomtien (might cost you a return taxi fare). Actually Condos in the Jomtien area were so cheap over the Covid period, that many girls live around the Pratumnak/Jomtien area now.

I was in Jomtien 3 weeks in November/December. Here a little upgrade about the bar in this area:

The Rompho Complex look to be alive again with more open bars than before Covid. It's a nice place to seat and drink a beer or play pool. Still good food at the Rompho evening market or at Kiss Restaurant but it's not open 24 as it was but close around midnight.

Thappraya road has many different kind of bar: beer bars of course but also the Viper agogo with some nice girls, the Liquor Lounge, one door after the Viper, with some funny ladies. I went a few time to Country Road 3 but it was really quiet.

Soi 2 to Soi Whitehouse have also many small bars full of ladies, massage shop and even ladyboy bar for those who are interested. And I never see so many freelancer on the Beach Road around this area. At my last night it was dozen of ladies sitting on motorbike or waiting on the sidewalk for customer.

There is also about 10 to 15 bars in Kanchana Alley wich is around 1.5 km from Soi Immigration. 

Of course the girls are not all young and superstar as they are in the WS but you can found some lovely girl in a hidden bar around Jomtien.

I will also write a small review about the Jomtien's Gentleman Club.

12 hours ago, Serpeliou said:

Kanchana Alley

That street where it intersects with 2nd road Jomtien has many more bars than years before. Maybe a five minute walk eastward from Beach road gets you to 2nd road.

On 01/01/2023 at 00:02, Tarpon said:

How is Thai Friendly working in the Jomtien area? No problem to get company or are the girls more keen on Pattaya?

Plenty of girls around mate, and they are only a short taxi ride away anyway :)

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

12 hours ago, Serpeliou said:

There is also about 10 to 15 bars in Kanchana Alley wich is around 1.5 km from Soi Immigration. 

Which direction mate ? :)

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

13 minutes ago, Atlas said:

Which direction mate ? :)

Bun Kunchana alley is pretty well known to those familiar with Jomtien as it links Jomtien Beach Road with Sukhumvit Road. It’s between Sois 11 & 12. It has an increasing number of bars, restaurants etc.

• Like 2