IGNORED

Jomtien - my very rough guide

davidge

On 24/10/2021 at 19:02, James Daniels said:

How was the fish and chips at Simons?

Simple Simon's fish & chips weren't that good. Hemingway's does a good beer battered cod and chips with mushy peas/peas and buttered bread.

The chips there were the best I've had in Jomtien.  

1 hour ago, quietguy77 said:

Simple Simon's fish & chips weren't that good. Hemingway's does a good beer battered cod and chips with mushy peas/peas and buttered bread.

Simple Simon’s was on Soi 5.

Simon’s Fish & Chips was on Thappraya near the lights.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

3 hours ago, quietguy77 said:

I am wondering if there’s anywhere around here that uses halibut??  Cod good. But I would really like to find halibut…

23 hours ago, davidge said:

Simple Simon’s was on Soi 5.

I think they were both owned by the same guy. I didn't think much of the fish & chips in either.

Having said Hemingways was better, I have since heard the guy who ran it and the head chef have left, so might be different now.

Edited by quietguy77

23 hours ago, davidge said:

Mal walked away quite some time ago... His missus tried for a while and then it folded... The LB who worked there as cook, now works at a mate of mine's place in Soi 7. I think, tho not sure as I don't look too hard, the shop is either a massage joint or a salon, or something similar...

Couple of new GC's popping up over here.... Don't know the name of the bar, but know the bloke, he is setting up right next door (literally) to Viper Agogo, the old No 1 Agogo... shares a wall toward the beach.

Brass Monkey is setting up near the traffic lights Second Road and Thappraya. More or less next door to The Pantry...It's just past the light on the way to Passions... probably 60m from the lights..coming from Pattaya turn left at the lights and about 60m on the right...

Edited by dave01
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, quietguy77 said:

Having said Hemingways was better, I have since heard the guy who ran it and the head chef have left, so might be different now.

They appointed a new (farang) Head Chef a little while back as there were so many complaints about the food. It has meant to have improved.

Mark, the manager for about 5 years, ‘left’ a couple of weeks ago to concentrate on The Pantry food shop which he co-owns. I don’t know if they’ll appoint a new manager or just stick with Lek who is apparently running it at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Jomtien def needs a good gastro style pub that shows sports too….with the closure of Pig & Whistle and seems Hemingway’s has lost a good manager too now.

The P&W was my go to place for good UK style meals in nice air con pub setting as was always very busy….good foods at a good price too….right opposite more or less VT2 condo which is ideal.

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

5 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

Jomtien def needs a good gastro style pub that shows sports too….with the closure of Pig & Whistle and seems Hemingway’s has lost a good manager too now.

The P&W was my go to place for good UK style meals in nice air con pub setting as was always very busy….good foods at a good price too….right opposite more or less VT2 condo which is ideal.

Yes, I was a regular at P&W though they didn’t show much sport. Consistent food at a reasonable price. I spent more time in Hemingway’s on recent trips purely because they show pretty much all the sport going, though the western food wasn’t particularly good.

There is Fraser’s as well, run by the same bloke that ran the predecessor to Hemingway’s, but I’ve not been there very often.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, davidge said:

I posted this in another thread and thought it might be more useful longer term in the Jomtien section of the forum.

Jomtien Condos 

View Talay Residence - low rise, either side of second road. Not viewed. Huge condo development going up next to 2 of them.

They got as far as building the sales/model building for the new condo complex in a corner of the property, then covid-19 hit and all construction stopped two years ago. A wise move. IMO The new condo market is a fraction of what is was pre-covid. Currently there's zero construction activity on the empty lot. 

Edited by likeaking

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

1 hour ago, likeaking said:

They got as far as building the sales/model building for the new condo complex in a corner of the property, then covid-19 hit and all construction stopped two years ago. A wise move. IMO The new condo market is a fraction of what is was pre-covid. Currently there's zero construction activity on the empty lot. 

Thanks. I seem to remember there being Chinese investment involved??? Guess they’ll wait until the Chinese can travel again.

On 30/10/2021 at 18:52, davidge said:

Mark, the manager for about 5 years, ‘left’ a couple of weeks ago to concentrate on The Pantry food shop which he co-owns. I don’t know if they’ll appoint a new manager or just stick with Lek who is apparently running it at the moment.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of the Mark connection between Hemingway's and the Pantry. I really do not care for Hemingway's because the quality of the food is so variable. The atmosphere on the other hand is better than decent.

I have stopped in at The Pantry a few times and met and chatted a bit with Mark. He seemed to be a decent guy who was trying to understand his customer's needs. For Americans - they do carry the Jimmy Dean Like breakfast sausage. I bought some for the GF's business at her restaurant over in VT2A.

Mark said "If you do not see it, let us know. Good chance we can get it for you."

32 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Interesting. I wasn't aware of the Mark connection between Hemingway's and the Pantry. I really do not care for Hemingway's because the quality of the food is so variable. The atmosphere on the other hand is better than decent.

I have stopped in at The Pantry a few times and met and chatted a bit with Mark. He seemed to be a decent guy who was trying to understand his customer's needs. For Americans - they do carry the Jimmy Dean Like breakfast sausage. I bought some for the GF's business at her restaurant over in VT2A.

Mark said "If you do not see it, let us know. Good chance we can get it for you."

Yes, he’s a decent bloke.

I’m pretty sure he’s involved with the new Cheap Charlie’s on Soi 5 as well.

1 hour ago, davidge said:

Yes, he’s a decent bloke.

I’m pretty sure he’s involved with the new Cheap Charlie’s on Soi 5 as well.

I was told he's the manager at the Jomtien Cheap Charlie's. He did a good job of managing Hemingway's and was responsive to customer input. 

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

On 07/05/2022 at 09:36, davidge said:

I posted this in another thread and thought it might be more useful longer term in the Jomtien section of the forum.

Jomtien Condos 

Chateau Dale - low rise condos just before Foodmart. I’ve not visited. Look like nice, larger, older units at a mid to high price. I’ve seen some on FB for 15-25k monthly for longer stays.

VT1 - older budget option. 2 blocks with one shared pool. I’ve viewed condos but not stayed. Lots of shops, restaurants , laundry etc on ground floor of buildings. 32sqm studios. Under 10k a month long term. Some agents on ground floor.

VT2 - popular with long term residents. 2 buildings each with very nice pool. 37sqm studios. (some bigger). I’ve viewed condos in both and stayed in 2A. Shop, laundry, restaurants. Agents on ground floor. 10-15k a month long term.

VT5 - 2 buildings each with nice pool. 48sqm studios. I’ve stayed in 5C. Similar to VT2 but newer and closer to beach with private gate access. Shop, laundry etc and Some agents on ground floor. 12-18k a month long term.

Jomtien Complex Condo - older building. 2 blocks joined by lower floors. Shared basic pool. 64sqm studios. I’ve stayed in both towers. Not much in house in terms of laundry etc but has pay for machines. Agent in lobby. 12-20k a month long term.

Shining Star - older low rise. Cheaper and basic I think, I’ve spoken to agent on ground floor but not viewed. Don’t know price but needs to be cheap.

Jomtien Plaza Residence - low rise, past it’s best. I’ve viewed condos and in dire need of general maintenance. Pool and restaurant in front of building. Not worth paying too much.

Neo Condo - modern units of various sizes. I’ve stayed in a 1-bed which was very nice. No facilities on site other than 2 very small pools but plenty just outside. No view. Quiet. Prices vary as many sizes of condo but generally 12-18k a month. Not seen many rentals advertised. Sometimes on FB, I used AirBnB.

Jomtien Plaza Condo - older building with reasonably sized units. I’ve viewed condos and visited friend who was staying there. Showing it’s age but some nice units. You enter one building that has pool on top, go up in lift then cross to main tower and use another lift to get to condos. At least one agent inside and often on AirBnb. Usually not that cheap due to location.

VT7 - 48sqm studios, beachfront location with nice pool. Half of units never been sold so reasonably quiet (apart from kids in pool). Shop, laundry, agents on ground floor. Usually more expensive due to location. 15-25k a month long term.

View Talay Residence - low rise, either side of second road. Not viewed. Huge condo development going up next to 2 of them.

Tienthong Condotel - older, run down on Soi 7. Should be cheap.

Jomtien Thip Condo - another older, run down in middle of Soi 7 bars. I’ve viewed condo there which was quite nice. Small pool. 

The Gallery - modern condos with 4 blocks of low rise on Soi 8. Not viewed these.

Dusit Grand Condo View - new tower on second road. 

Jomtien Beach Condos - older condos with 2 buildings on beach side and 3 buildings on other side of second road. 32sqm studios. Popular budget option. One quite nice pool next to beach side buildings. I don’t know about other side of road. Lots of shops etc on ground floor. I’ve viewed condos here. Ok if on budget but definitely not luxurious. Under 10k a month long term.

Renting for short term is more expensive. I’ve paid between 15k and 25k for a month. The bigger property agents aren’t usually interested in short term rentals so it’s not easy finding someone to book with online.

I’ve used AirBnB a couple of times without a problem, I’ve used Dancewatchers a few times and they’re very good (but expensive) and an American bloke in VT7 but I’m not sure he’s still going. I’ve also used the agent on the ground floor of Jomtien Complex Condo who has lots of units in the building - Usually 18-20k a month plus electricity/water. 

I know most expats on here use much less, but I never have an electricity bill of less than 3k for a month and it’s sometimes quite a bit more.

Remember you’ll have to arrange cleaning etc if you want it. Dancewatchers will do it if you pay extra, the agent in Complex will arrange it for extra, otherwise you’ll need to use one of the on site cleaners that most buildings have. Probably 350-500 baht a time without bed change.

Any questions about particular buildings, feel free to ask me.

How about Pratumnak? Pros and cons Jomtien vs Paratumnak?

Thanjs

26 minutes ago, filipef said:

How about Pratumnak? Pros and cons Jomtien vs Paratumnak?

Thanjs

I’ve stayed in Jomtien for several trips now and have looked at a lot of condos with a view to a long term stay. I don’t know Pratumnak nearly as well so couldn’t do the same sort of breakdown. A couple of friends live on Pratumnak so I’ve been to a couple of condos and spent a few evenings out there.

In broad terms, there is much more choice of bars & restaurants in Jomtien. There’s enough in Pratumnak for the odd night out for me but not every night. The other difference is transport. The baht bus route runs down Jomtien beach road but they don’t operate on Pratumnak. Also, Jomtien is flat if you are walking and Pratumnak very much isn’t flat!

If I was to stay on Pratumnak I would stick to the top half of Soi 5 or 6, but that’s me.

• Like 2

I’m not familiar with Acqua condo, which is quite a new building behind Jomtien Night Market, but there seem to be cheap rentals available there. I’ve seen inside view 1-beds (36-40sqm) for 6-7000 a month long term.

Anyone know if there are any issues or is it just buy-to-let investors desperate for any sort of return?

11 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Birthday boy's review of the Rabbit Resort and a couple of my favorite restaurants.

For a starting point if you are looking for cost control info for your upcoming trip, this is not the thread for you.

I retired 6 years ago. At that time I came to Jomtien for two weeks and stayed at the Rabbit Resort, based on recommendations from friends. This was my first stay in Jomtien. Prior to this trip, I had always been a short blast Central Pattaya guy and have many memorable experiences. I was not thinking about Thailand as a full time retirement location at that time. I later changed my mind.

https://rabbitresort.com/

The GF chided me a little recently about spending a few nights in a good hotel for my birthday. I agreed that we had become too much of home bodies and needed to get out a little more. I remembered the Rabbit, showed her a few pics, and made a reservation for two nights for my birthday. I am still shaking my head a bit wondering why I needed to take her someplace for my birthday, but as it is often said all is well that ends well.

The Rabbit looks a little more beat up to me than it did 6 years ago, but not terribly so. With the business impact of Covid that is not hard to forgive. This trip and last I stayed in what is called a Gold Cottage unit. This is an about 50 sqm cottage that opens up directly to the adult swimming pool. (Adult swimming pool appears to be a term from the past, as the number of guests does not require isolating kids at this time). 

This unit cost was about 7000 THB 6 years ago, but goes for about half of that at this time. 6 years ago it was difficult getting a shaded pool lounge chair. Now you can have pretty much have anyone you want.

The Rabbit was popular with locals for it's buffet breakfast. That is now available again. I do not know the cost as it was included in our reservation. The food is not spectacular, but it is more than decent with personal egg order requests included. What is spectacular is the beach front tables with a gentle early morning breeze.

A few Rabbit pics

For me it is all about walking out of a nicely decorated Thai style cottage into a great pool.

1349037617_Rabbit-A.thumb.jpg.d89e2c8058ecec584f3c4c871076366e.jpg

1961523839_Rabbit-B2.JPG.thumb.JPG.30d1e6555e6c2a17c8d5cb50ccd837c1.JPG

After the breakfast buffet, there is pretty decent chow available at the Ganj Cafe also on the Ocean side road of Dongtang Beach. Yes they have offerings with hemp products (not the psychotropic ones).

1447954851_Rabbit-C.thumb.jpg.218275b0e37c57d7789bccfbf626567c.jpg

Day 1 - out for dinner at Gian's

1136748001_Gians-A.thumb.jpg.82ccac7b16cd263fe35b97d47f607e17.jpg

1836712208_Gians-B2.thumb.JPG.e7dc0d024a136777f9daecec27b07fbd.JPG

1714308996_Gians-C.thumb.JPG.457dc76e14879bd22e41de6b6ec95f8d.JPG

Day 2 - birthday dinner at Cafe des Amis

420281961_CDA-A.thumb.jpg.d958335e050aba9dc1e6bb2e2d6e3b6a.jpg

182637514_CDA-B.thumb.JPG.72d0701929cb3d4184f27e110203cbae.JPG

1306883683_CDA-C.thumb.jpg.f6877b885bdeecdff1df21c1f2e436f5.jpg

The dinner/Dishes look pretty descent/delicious - is this dining in the Resort? 

Edited by Laid Back Larry

1 hour ago, Laid Back Larry said:

Gian’s is an Italian restaurant on Thappraya in front of Chateau Dale and Cafe des Amis is at the bottom of Thappraya Soi 11.

On 16/05/2022 at 20:34, davidge said:

I’m not familiar with Acqua condo, which is quite a new building behind Jomtien Night Market, but there seem to be cheap rentals available there. I’ve seen inside view 1-beds (36-40sqm) for 6-7000 a month long term.

Anyone know if there are any issues or is it just buy-to-let investors desperate for any sort of return?

I stayed in an Acqua condo about eight years ago for four weeks. I didn't think much of it for the price.

The air conditioning unit leaked water, I had to leave a bucket under it. The shower rail was collapsing.

I found it a bit too far from the main Jomtien area, at least to walk. I would rather pay more to be more central. 

On 07/05/2022 at 09:36, davidge said:

an American bloke in VT7 but I’m not sure he’s still going.

If you mean Jason, I've stayed in a couple of his VT7 condos too. I think he disappeared at beginning of covid lockdowns two years ago (with my deposit for the following year!), and doesn't seem to have reappeared as yet.

On 22/05/2022 at 13:56, Laid Back Larry said:

The locations are like @davidge described. I would say that Gian's is near Food Mart pretty much across the street from Pan Pan.

There are many reviews of these two places in the restaurant forum. IMNSHO Gian's is in the conversation for the best Italian restaurant in the greater Pattaya area. Cafe des Amis is probably my favorite restaurant in the area at this time.

In both cases, these are not anywhere near being cheap eats places. For our two dinners combined for two persons, I probably dropped 10,000 THB. This is not my normal modus operandi. These were more expensive dinners with cocktails, appetizers, and a little more expensive bottles of wine. Probably half of the 10,000 was for alcohol. 

https://www.facebook.com/giansitaliandiningpattaya

https://www.cafe-des-amis.com/

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

For those interested, an updated map of Jomtien Complex. Lots of new businesses now.

8A86FC86-2311-480C-B8AB-A792F466FC3D.jpeg