IGNORED

Jomtien - my very rough guide

davidge

Had my first trip into jomtien today to meet up with a mate.

Have to say i was plesently suprised at the place, a complety diffrent attmosphre to pattaya. Nice and relaxed.

Started out around 3pm i think it was on soi7? (19th hole bar).

First thing i noticed was the older crowd in the bars happy to just sit around and watch the world go by. Also noticed the total lack of traffic going up and down the soi somthing im not used to in central pattaya and it really made a huge diffrence.

Drank in a few bars in this soi over a couple of hours and yes it deffinatly was full of older ladys that i had no interest in but i did spot a couple of 30-35s that i wouldnt of minded getting to know a little better.

On this soi (same side as 19th hole bar) i came across 2 identical low rise condos next door to each other that look ver nice from the outside. If any locals know which im talking about please post the name of them as id like to look into them further.

Later on we walked up the soi and across to the rhompoo bar area.

Now this i liked alot. May sound stupid but the best thing about it was how clean and well kept the place is.

Im used to shitholes like new plazza ect.

Got here around 5pm and looked like the place was just opening.

Had a few drinks and a walk around and actually was shocked to find a few younger decent looking girls ina few of the bars. Further investigation is required me thinks :D

Finished up around 7pm in i think it was jimmys bar and the complex while not busy did seem to be getting more visitors.

Really did like the rhompoo, clean, well kept bars and bar area. Relaxed atmoshphere with and older crowd

Didnt once get asked for a lady drink or have any ladys approch in the way they just throw themselfs at you in pattaya.

Could tell they were game but they had the attitude of letting you show interest first which i actually like.

Will deffinatly make another visit and check out more of the place.

Saw at least 2 ladys i would quite happliy of taken for a st, is this on the menu over here and are there any short time hotels?

that sucks ....i guess one can pack your own and buy mixer.

Plenty 7/11 or Foodmarts to get your spirits/ mixtures.

Its a Thai setup on weekends.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Had my first trip into jomtien today to meet up with a mate.

Have to say i was plesently suprised at the place, a complety diffrent attmosphre to pattaya. Nice and relaxed.

Started out around 3pm i think it was on soi7? (19th hole bar).

First thing i noticed was the older crowd in the bars happy to just sit around and watch the world go by. Also noticed the total lack of traffic going up and down the soi somthing im not used to in central pattaya and it really made a huge diffrence.

Drank in a few bars in this soi over a couple of hours and yes it deffinatly was full of older ladys that i had no interest in but i did spot a couple of 30-35s that i wouldnt of minded getting to know a little better.

On this soi (same side as 19th hole bar) i came across 2 identical low rise condos next door to each other that look ver nice from the outside. If any locals know which im talking about please post the name of them as id like to look into them further.

Later on we walked up the soi and across to the rhompoo bar area.

Now this i liked alot. May sound stupid but the best thing about it was how clean and well kept the place is.

Im used to shitholes like new plazza ect.

Got here around 5pm and looked like the place was just opening.

Had a few drinks and a walk around and actually was shocked to find a few younger decent looking girls ina few of the bars. Further investigation is required me thinks :D

Finished up around 7pm in i think it was jimmys bar and the complex while not busy did seem to be getting more visitors.

Really did like the rhompoo, clean, well kept bars and bar area. Relaxed atmoshphere with and older crowd

Didnt once get asked for a lady drink or have any ladys approch in the way they just throw themselfs at you in pattaya.

Could tell they were game but they had the attitude of letting you show interest first which i actually like.

Will deffinatly make another visit and check out more of the place.

Saw at least 2 ladys i would quite happliy of taken for a st, is this on the menu over here and are there any short time hotels?

i think you described the Jomtien bar scene and Rompho perfectly. I like it a lot there too. i live here and am not always in the mood for full on Pattaya.. A bit bit more out of the way are Apple bar and Tequila Sunrise bar on soi chaiyapreuk. More night time places though

There is a good, clean ST hotel approx. 100m from Rompho complex, I think its called 280, that's how much it costs for a room ST. And yes, most ladys will go.

Had another night out there tonight.

Again went to rhompoo. Found a bar with 2 pattaya quaility 20 somethings. Unfortunatly they had the pattaya attitude. Spent all night on there phones and it looked like they were waiting for the bar to close so they cloud hit the Walking Street discos

Then i hit the grail.

Come arcoss a bar with a tiny lady in it. Got chating and she said it was her first day in the bar (i know)

Straight away clocked that she had quiet a few tattoos so didnt belive a word.l but english was pretty much none exsistant so good signs

Anyway long story short after spending most the night with her i can 100% garentee it was her first night ever working in a bar( purley for what she said but also from talking to the bar owner that had a to explain a few things to her)

Not really know how to play this one. Took her for somthing to eat but could see she was visibly shaking thinking the enevitable trip to the room was coming.

In the end sent her home and she wouldnt even take the tip i offered her.

Agreed to meet her tommorow so im either going to turn out the biggest mug ever are ive just found a farm fresh one

She aint young either 31. Preety sure shes been around the thai mongering sceen for a while but its easy ti see she hasnt got a clue about pattaya.

Downside is ive got 5 days. Im 100% sure within 3 months she will be working in pattaya and a hardend pro so i want to hit it while i cam

Every time I stay in Pattaya I spend one day in Jomtien. It make a relaxing break from the hectic scene.

Usually I walk all the way. I walk from Pattaya to the big Buddha and then down to Jomtien beach till the end of the beach. It could take between one to two hours. Then I have some food from a street vendor and I take a songthaew back to Pattaya. 

Every time I stay in Pattaya I spend one day in Jomtien. It make a relaxing break from the hectic scene.

Usually I walk all the way. I walk from Pattaya to the big Buddha and then down to Jomtien beach till the end of the beach. It could take between one to two hours. Then I have some food from a street vendor and I take a songthaew back to Pattaya.

I guess you mean you walk to the end of Dongtan beach, cos superman couldn't walk to the end of Jomtien beach, at Na Jomtien, from pattaya in 1-2 hours.

Thanks for taking the time to document all this. I just noticed the thread today. I stayed in Jomtien last March for about 10 days before going over to Au Nang. I am returning in February and will stay at VT2 and make a side trip over to Siem Reap. I have never seen the temples and yeah I have read many times there is not much else to do.

My observations last year were:

• Lots of really good restaurants
  • The baht bus over to Pattaya and back is very convenient
  • The one Jomtien go-go is the worse go-go in Thailand that I have been in
  • The bars on Thappraya heading to Beach Road were not very busy
  • Never made it to Rompho. Will have to remedy that in February.
  • All in all, I much prefer Jomtien to the racket over in Patts. I guess I have gotten older.

Thanks again. I'll be reading the thread in detail. 

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This was the first time I'd stayed in Jomtien in high Season. It made a difference.

First, the beach was very busy. It was often difficult to find an empty deckchair.

Baht buses were often full. It was sometimes impossible to find one to get into Pattaya in the evening - I won't hang off the back!

I ended up using City taxis a great deal - usually through the Grab app.

Traffic was much worse and it generally took twice as long to get into Pattaya than in low Season - at least in the evening.

Getting back on the baht bus wasn't a problem. They filled up immediately by the school but always one there.

New Year's Eve, NY Day and the holiday Monday I couldn't get a taxi through the App at all in the evenings, nor during the day on NY Day. I stayed in Jomtien for 2 days and had to overpay a parked taxi to get me into Pattaya on the Monday night.

Restaurants busier but no problem getting a table.

Bars were still pretty quiet on the whole - apart from the gay bars in Jomtien Complex which seemed busy when I walked through on the way back to the Condo.

Condo building was very busy. Pool always full. Not stayed in VT5C before but guessing it was much busier than it would be in July. Most residents seemed to be European.

More bars seem to have opened up along Thappraya near the arch and there's also a Subway there now. Shame there's not a Starbucks & Swensens :-)

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

If I remember correctly, when I was out last March, the Laundry next to Rose Apple charged 30 baht per kilo. When I checked into VT2 today, I noticed that all the laundries in the lobby floor charged by the piece. I thought heck I'll walk over to the one by Rose Apple. I went over to the Market in that strip mall to pick up a few things and noticed that the laundry by Rose Apple also now charges by the piece. Guess I got lucky without knowing it last year. The piece price won't break the bank. Might as well do it at VT2 or one of the ones on Thappraya. Any recommendations near VT2? 

Edited by ChiFlyer

I just used one of the places downstairs in VT2A. The first one on the left as you walk to the pool, on the opposite corner of the lobby to the shop. Did a good job, didn't shrink anything and very friendly.

I can't be bothered lugging laundry about just to save a few baht!

I just used one of the places downstairs in VT2A. The first one on the left as you walk to the pool, on the opposite corner of the lobby to the shop. Did a good job, didn't shrink anything and very friendly.

I can't be bothered lugging laundry about just to save a few baht!

It's the principle of the thing my man. :) Thanks for the recommendation. Sometime during this trip, I would like to compare notes with you on the various VTs. I see you have done some of that above and thanks for that. I was more interested in current contacts, if you or others know. It would be good to check out a few condos for future trips while I am here.

It's the principle of the thing my man. :) Thanks for the recommendation. Sometime during this trip, I would like to compare notes with you on the various VTs. I see you have done some of that above and thanks for that. I was more interested in current contacts, if you or others know. It would be good to check out a few condos for future trips while I am here.

My plan was/is to stay in a different building each trip to check out as many as possible with a view to a permanent base at some point.

I've stayed in 3 of the VT's and am staying in a different building again next trip. I've ruled some places out simply through a 'walk in' so only have 2 or 3 left on my possible list now.

I'm happy to compare notes at some point. Just PM when you're ready.

My plan was/is to stay in a different building each trip to check out as many as possible with a view to a permanent base at some point.

I've stayed in 3 of the VT's and am staying in a different building again next trip. I've ruled some places out simply through a 'walk in' so only have 2 or 3 left on my possible list now.

I'm happy to compare notes at some point. Just PM when you're ready.

Just thought I would mention this, as I think it's funny.

Going through the condo last night, I discovered that there is a washing machine within the vanity cabinet of one of the bathrooms. Might have been good if I looked around before I started bitching about laundry costs. Now here is the funny part. I asked DW if it works and they said "there's a washer in there?".

• 5 months later...

A brief update as I'm back in Jomtien at the moment. I'll try to put a fuller update when I'm home.

Traffic into Pattaya noticeably worse than 2 years ago, or even 1 year ago.

Every evening this trip the songthaew has taken the best part of 30 minutes to get to Central Pattaya. The queue from Pattaya Tai lights has been back to the lights under Third Rd each time. Only happened occasionally 2 years ago.

Often slow getting in during the day as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished my 4th stay in Jomtien. I was there for a month.

As I said in previous post, the biggest change is the large increase in traffic. Every single evening it was slow getting to Pattaya from Jomtien. Noticeably worse during the day as well. It really was a bit of a pain this trip.

Other change was the digging up all along Dongtan Beach. Not sure what they're doing but, given past record, every chance they will permanently ruin what was a very pleasant stretch of beach. The couple of times I did go through the diggers etc the beach itself was covered in litter and filthy.

Restaurants/bars etc much the same. A couple of new bars opened on the stretch between the lights and the beach. Rhompo pretty quiet - some bars hadn't bothered opening the nights I went there.

They're demolishing the large bar/restaurant (can't remember exactly what was there) right on the corner in front of Jomtien Plaza Condo at the beach. I wonder what will be built instead?

Overall, I'd say it was slightly busier than last July in terms of western & Russian visitors. Many more tour coaches.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

HI Long time Secrets member only new here

Back story

Travel to Thailand twice a year since 2010 have never stayed anywhere except in Jontiem.

Shakespeare hotel soi 13 (Don’t DO it never Again)

Condos I’ve stayed in

Jontiem Beach conidium

View Talay 7 the last 12 trips

It’s probably a bit expensive for a 2-week break as the charge the monthly rate 21000 thru  view Talay condo 7 but location is everything

Lots of Europeans and Gay men ( everyone to their own)

Never used the pool as I’m a lazy slob

Quiet, clean ,average security ,good facilities, laundry, shop, small coffee shop WiFi depends on the individual condo 

Bars

At the arch

Country road great fun weak drinks and pushy lady drink requests but a good place to round of a night out

Rumours just reopened can really comment

Kit Kat new gentleman’s club I only had a look around as I prefer Kineree

Number 1 ago go good god what a kip

Passion gentleman’s club not my cup of tea

Long tail bar good fun

Take care bar great late-night drink

Country (something else) live bands lots of girls

Robin Hood bar no girls but a good bar to sit a watch the world go bye

Fabulous Indian restaurant beside bar blink and you will miss it eaten there hundreds of times and never an issue

Pig and whistle I’ve done the menu too many times so don’t go there any more

Lots of 7/11 shops and a good few massage shops I use rose apple just up the road

1n approx. 14 trips never had an issue with ladyboys yes I’ve seen them and spoken to them but just being polite tends to work wonders in getting rid of them

Soi white house is my normal hang out and trust around these bars there’s lots of diamonds in the rough you just have to look

Soi 5 and 7 are good too

Rompo area is dead hasn’t been any atmosphere in years

I go into Pattaya or LK Metro maybe 2/3 times a trip but mainly enjoy roughing it through the back streets on beach road bars and sois   In fact the bar I use most in Pattaya is Le Pub so that an example of what bars I like instead of go gos

Again these are only my opinions each to thee own

1 hour ago, nutty toffee said:

number 1 ago go good god what a kip

Translation to North American English please? :D

• 4 months later...
On 10/14/2017 at 01:02, ex-pat said:

Translation to North American English please? :D

Shithole

On 7/10/2017 at 16:41, davidge said:

A brief update as I'm back in Jomtien at the moment. I'll try to put a fuller update when I'm home.

Traffic into Pattaya noticeably worse than 2 years ago, or even 1 year ago.

Every evening this trip the songthaew has taken the best part of 30 minutes to get to Central Pattaya. The queue from Pattaya Tai lights has been back to the lights under Third Rd each time. Only happened occasionally 2 years ago.

Often slow getting in during the day as well.

The volume of Chinese tour buses is way up.  I have lived between Jomtien and Pattaya (On Pratumnak Hill) since 2011.  The Chinese started showing up in numbers around 2015 and more and more and MORE buses filled with Chinese have clogged up the Roads around Pattaya AND Jomtien.  

I was up early last Saturday morning and on my motorbike at 8:00 AM.  Soi Chayapruek had a row of 15 Chinese tour buses backed up and waiting at the stoplight at Sukhumvit Road.  They must have been going to Nong Nuch Gardens or possible the Floating Market - who knows, maybe even Silver Lake.  The point is; Chinese tour buses are clogging (And damaging.) roads all over the area.

The Dongtan/Pattaya beach area renovations have been complete since about the start of 2018.  It is very nice in that area now.   Calm water, cleaner than Pattaya beach water - fewer strolling vendors - relaxed atmosphere under the trees.  Fewer people - no vehicle traffic humming by and making a lot of noise.  Dongtan/Pattaya  beach combined with the renovated walkway along the Beach in Jomtien - next to Jomtien Beach Road - (The beach in Jomtien is superior to Pattaya, which is an easy thing to be.) makes this a pleasant place to hang out on the beach.  So is Naklua.  Pattaya's beach is about the worst I have seen in any 'resort' area I have ever been to anywhere in the world or at least the 40 different countries I have visited (So far...).

Photos below of the Dongtan area of Jomtien Beach - South of Pattaya.  Starting with the lower part of Pratumnak Hill and moving towards Ban Saray and Sattahip.

5aa2332707c4e_MidFebruary2018Lumix026.thumb.JPG.75235b4a6b5b507d127b72af7ef703e3.JPG5aa233458b43d_MidFebruary2018Lumix010.thumb.JPG.b47c70031cf191ea7a4d7ca50a0f548f.JPGP1000725.thumb.JPG.0934b8532a6082ae0dd0547489fcb421.JPGP1000726.thumb.JPG.f20ddbdea7582f5b84e45b9f287dd5bd.JPG

I am staying at VT2A and I concur with regard to the growing traffic problems in Jomtien. Seems to get worse each year and I also feel that the growing number of tour buses is a big reason why. 

And that is only number 2 on my complaint list.

What is really pissing me off is the growing racket coming out of the alley directly across from the VT2 entrance. They have a non-stop big bass beat going and it is very loud. This is accompanied by a cacophony of other irritating noise being passed off as music. Last night it lasted until 3 AM. I would think that the owners within VT2 are becoming quite concerned about this. Their property values will be taking a hit. I for one would never buy at that location as long as the alley racket continues. In fact right now I doubt I would rent there again despite the fact that I like the location and overall facilities.

26 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

I am staying at VT2A and I concur with regard to the growing traffic problems in Jomtien. Seems to get worse each year and I also feel that the growing number of tour buses is a big reason why. 

And that is only number 2 on my complaint list.

What is really pissing me off is the growing racket coming out of the alley directly across from the VT2 entrance. They have a non-stop big bass beat going and it is very loud. This is accompanied by a cacophony of other irritating noise being passed off as music. Last night it lasted until 3 AM. I would think that the owners within VT2 are becoming quite concerned about this. Their property values will be taking a hit. I for one would never buy at that location as long as the alley racket continues. In fact right now I doubt I would rent there again despite the fact that I like the location and overall facilities.

I lived in View Talay 2B for one year. I have been much happier since I moved across Thapphraya (On the ocean side of the road.).  It is actually a bit cooler on this side of Thapphraya and FAR quieter.  I suggest you check out the many, many places to stay on Pratumnak Hill.  I have paid less money in rent since May 2012 than I paid when I lived in View Talay 2B also.  I have a MUCH better view of the ocean, I walk to the beach AND it is QUIET at night!!!

5aa2371d28176_Movingweekendandabitbefore095.JPG.9b6c442d497ad92d12c3e21b6630a5f1.JPG 

Edited by Komando
text was out of order.

By the way; a couple of really good places to eat in Jomtien are; The Pirate Bay Cafe (On the pathway in Dongtan - near the turn at 7/11 on Jomtien Beach Road - where it starts to run South along the sand.) and BIG Kahuna - on Thapphraya - just south of Thepasit.  GREAT American style food and excellent quality Thai food - breakfasts, burgers/sandwiches, pizza type places. Clean - neat - good view of the ocean and beach activity at Pirate Bay Cafe.  BIG Kahuna is in the old "Pastrami on Rye' location.  5aa23924ca319_PirateBayCafeafterdark.jpg.6b9bc4a53b58709dc007cba59f9aa15b.jpg

The view from inside Pirate Bay Cafe in the Dongtan/Pattaya Jomtien Beach area looking at the sunset (Below.)  They are open for breakfast until 10:00 PM.  

5aa2394a8059a_PirateBaycafe-viewoutthefront.thumb.jpg.54b9f4d9f47b3b0b9bb9df595411d744.jpg

BIG Kahuna shown below.  There is an outdoor covered patio for dining at BIG Kahuna AND an indoor dining room with air conditioning.  Open for breakfast until 9:00 PM.  

5aa2396b1d0dc_BigKAHUNAsandwiches.jpg.3bd583c1aeac39aea84b5329f7e3a943.jpg

5aa2398f03ccd_BigKahunaburgers.jpg.ed69aa6611e70530cfe11563149f29ec.jpg

• Like 2