Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Jomtien - my very rough guide

davidge

8 minutes ago, JackinHK said:

It's called Tropicana Pool Villa if that helps at all? Looking at Google maps it says it's just off Second road but the street name says 'Thanon Second'.

Either way, I'm sure we'll have a great time and we are only there for one night as we are at Page 10 for the rest of the trip. Just wanted to do something different for thanksgiving.

That’s well off second road near Palm Oasis. If it’s only one night then it really doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t be walking there and back on those Sois, especially at night though. Narrow, no pavement and little in the way of lighting. Just so you know.

Bolt is cheap enough now.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

1 minute ago, davidge said:

That’s well off second road near Palm Oasis. If it’s only one night then it really doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t be walking there and back on those Sois, especially at night though. Narrow, no pavement and little in the way of lighting. Just so you know.

Bolt is cheap enough now.

Ok cool, will download Bolt. 

Plan is to find some girls and get in a load of booze and some food and spend the late afternoon and evening having fun at the villa so hopefully we won't need to be walking round the area too late at night. However.....you know what they say about plans in Pattaya so who knows 😂

1 hour ago, JackinHK said:

It's called Tropicana Pool Villa if that helps at all? Looking at Google maps it says it's just off Second road but the street name says 'Thanon Second'.

Either way, I'm sure we'll have a great time and we are only there for one night as we are at Page 10 for the rest of the trip. Just wanted to do something different for thanksgiving.

I may be getting a little foggy about things here in my dotage, but I think some friends and myself shared several detached buildings in the days that preceded back in the days. It would have been about 25 years ago.

One of our crowd lived in Bangkok and spent a lot of time in Pattaya as well. He had been doing this for decades. He lined this place up for us. Like I said we had several detached buildings in the back of the property for a combined Loy Krathong - US Thanksgiving celebration. They fell on the same day that year. 

I was still a newbie Thai aficionado at that time, but this trip began to sway me away from Latin America.

As I recall, like I said 25 years ago, the property had excellent security. The grounds were well maintained. Ladies liked it, but were wary of going somewhere out of the way like this with a bunch of guys that they were not familiar with. For the later reason, a buddy and I walked back to Second Road to catch the baht bus back into Pattaya. No problems. I also walked out one morning with a lady I had met. A bit of a hike, but not that bad.

One more time - > that was 25 years ago and things change.    

• 2 months later...

Although it’s been overshadowed by the fuss about Soi Buakhao going one way, the same announcement also said that part of Jomtien Beach Road would also be one way. I’ve not seen any details but I guess they’re talking about the stretch from the traffic lights at the bottom of the hill to Bun Kanchana alley as nothing else would really work.

I can’t really see the need to change as I’ve not noticed Beach Road getting overwhelmed except for on holiday weekends but I guess the one positive might be baht buses would have to go along Second Road.

I’m not sure how traffic will be on Second Road as I already see a number of expats saying it’s a bit of a nightmare using it as they’ve closed off so many u-turns. Lots of traffic at the Bun Kanchana lights as people have to the u-turn there. The road also tends to flood in a few places.

Let’s see what happens.

My first visit to Jomtien this trip. Saturday night in Hemingway’s is a bit of a tradition.

I had Sweet & Sour Chicken. Very good Thai food as usual. Generous portions here, I couldn’t finish it. Place was busy but still decent service.

245 baht including a soda.

IMG_3776.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Some Jomtien news. Swensens have opened a branch in Jomtien. It’s in front of the NOW hotel on Beach Road not far before Soi 12.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Db5eem1VE93Qhrxm8?g_st=ic

All I need now is Starbucks :P

• Like 3

On 12/11/2023 at 17:27, davidge said:

Although it’s been overshadowed by the fuss about Soi Buakhao going one way, the same announcement also said that part of Jomtien Beach Road would also be one way. I’ve not seen any details but I guess they’re talking about the stretch from the traffic lights at the bottom of the hill to Bun Kanchana alley as nothing else would really work.

I can’t really see the need to change as I’ve not noticed Beach Road getting overwhelmed except for on holiday weekends

Isn't it because they're going to start some beach road "improvement" works? 

• Like 1

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

2 minutes ago, Thomaz73 said:

Isn't it because they're going to start some beach road "improvement" works? 

That was the latest I heard, though not the reason given initially. I think it’s now for a few months - at least in theory.

2 minutes ago, davidge said:

That was the latest I heard, though not the reason given initially. I think it’s now for a few months - at least in theory.

Right. Staying in Buakhao 15 I'm well familiar with how "theory" works. Hope it goes smoother :)

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Currently staying in a guesthouse in Jomtien. Paying 750 baht for a poor room I'm thinking that must be better vfm to be had. Maybe renting an apartment for a month during my upcoming trip in December?

Is there some offices that I can visit in person and talk to representatives and maybe get a look at apartment?

Must be in the square of Thappraya,  Second Road and Soi 15.

13 minutes ago, Tarpon said:

Currently staying in a guesthouse in Jomtien. Paying 750 baht for a poor room I'm thinking that must be better vfm to be had. Maybe renting an apartment for a month during my upcoming trip in December?

Is there some offices that I can visit in person and talk to representatives and maybe get a look at apartment?

This is a great value hotel ... good big rooms and a proper hotel.  https://maps.app.goo.gl/J11rQGzEdbxY7BaY9

Rates will vary, but often just over 600baht per room .... 

A friend of mine lives in this hotel.  https://maps.app.goo.gl/Ug2BirnYCvJcGV517

he pays 11,000 per month ... includes cleaning, water and electricity in that price ... for a front room with a balcony view of the beach. Cheaper rooms at the back

Edited by discrete
  • Like 3

ผีเสื้อ

6 hours ago, Tarpon said:

For the buildings I’m familiar with:

Jomtien Complex Condo (next to Hemingways), there’s a reliable agent at the front left hand corner of the lobby. She has lots of units in the building. Condos there are large but the standard varies a lot depending on renovation. Last time I spoke to her monthly rent was in the 16000-20000 range;

Dancewatchers have an office in VT2A. Turn left out of the lobby and the office is on the left hand side roughly half way down the ground floor corridor. They have a number of units in VT2A, a couple in VT1 and one unit in VT5C (as well as VT6);

There are a few agents on the ground floor of VT5C. Turn right out of reception. The one I used (Pattaya Group Property) is on the right hand side a couple of doors before the pool but you’ll be lucky to find her there. She always seems to be out! She has units in VT5C and VT5D. There are other agents there but I don’t know what they’re like.

I would be wary of the one obvious agent in VT5D (turn left from lobby and on left hand side) but there are other offices on that corridor that will have a couple of units. Pinyada who has an office on rhs about a third of the way down is reliable. She does laundry, cleaning and even help with visas etc and has one or two units I think.

If I think of others I’ll post again.

22 minutes ago, davidge said:

Dancewatchers have an office in VT2A. Turn left out of the lobby and the office is on the left hand side roughly half way down the ground floor corridor. They have a number of units in VT2A, a couple in VT1 and one unit in VT5C (as well as VT6);

I've not seen much signs of life in their office recently. They had a cute bunch of girl cleaners last year, not seen them this trip.

20 hours ago, davidge said:

For the buildings I’m familiar with:

Jomtien Complex Condo (next to Hemingways), there’s a reliable agent at the front left hand corner of the lobby. She has lots of units in the building. Condos there are large but the standard varies a lot depending on renovation. Last time I spoke to her monthly rent was in the 16000-20000 range;

There are a few agents on the ground floor of VT5C. Turn right out of reception. The one I used (Pattaya Group Property) is on the right hand side a couple of doors before the pool but you’ll be lucky to find her there. She always seems to be out! She has units in VT5C and VT5D. There are other agents there but I don’t know what they’re like.

I would be wary of the one obvious agent in VT5D (turn left from lobby and on left hand side) but there are other offices on that corridor that will have a couple of units. Pinyada who has an office on rhs about a third of the way down is reliable. She does laundry, cleaning and even help with visas etc and has one or two units I think.

If I think of others I’ll post again.

Is it this place you are referring to at Jomtien Complex Condo?

20240127_102758.jpg

4 hours ago, Tarpon said:

Is it this place you are referring to at Jomtien Complex Condo?

20240127_102758.jpg

No. They have long term rentals and sales.

The lady with the short term lets is INSIDE the lobby at the front left hand corner.

The office obscured by the van:

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Temporary one way system for Jomtien Beach Road for however long the drainage work takes:

IMG_6681.jpeg

I guess most baht buses will go back along Second Road.

• Like 3

On 18/11/2023 at 21:07, davidge said:

My first visit to Jomtien this trip. Saturday night in Hemingway’s is a bit of a tradition.

I had Sweet & Sour Chicken. Very good Thai food as usual. Generous portions here, I couldn’t finish it. Place was busy but still decent service.

245 baht including a soda.

IMG_3776.jpeg

My experiences with Hemingways have ranged from "good" to "terrible". I chalked this off to turnovers in management and the cooks. I read a while back that the former owner of Laong's was back and becoming the manager at Hemmingways. I really liked Laong's, which had to close for reasons too tedious to get into here. 

Your food pic looks great. Any comments in general about the current state of affairs at Hemmingways?

9 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

My experiences with Hemingways have ranged from "good" to "terrible". I chalked this off to turnovers in management and the cooks. I read a while back that the former owner of Laong's was back and becoming the manager at Hemmingways. I really liked Laong's, which had to close for reasons too tedious to get into here. 

Your food pic looks great. Any comments in general about the current state of affairs at Hemmingways?

I put in a post last trip that I no longer really felt welcome there. Unless you’re happy sitting at the bar (which I’m not) they’d rather reserve tables for customers that come and eat and then leave - even if it means that someone who wants to spend the evening there drinking as well as eating can’t do so because most tables have ‘Reserved’ on them even though empty. The place is very busy when those customers are there so I don’t expect them to change.

As a result, I’ve gone very little the last 2 trips. I’ve had excellent Thai food and disappointing Thai food. A couple of the western weekly specials have been excellent as well but when I tried a Sunday roast it was the same very disappointing experience.

If you do plan to go and eat there I’d suggest messaging or phoning to reserve a table or you might end up, as I have more than once, walking in to see the place nearly empty but with ‘Reserved’ on pretty much every bloody table.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, davidge said:

I put in a post last trip that I no longer really felt welcome there. Unless you’re happy sitting at the bar (which I’m not) they’d rather reserve tables for customers that come and eat and then leave - even if it means that someone who wants to spend the evening there drinking as well as eating can’t do so because most tables have ‘Reserved’ on them even though empty. The place is very busy when those customers are there so I don’t expect them to change.

As a result, I’ve gone very little the last 2 trips. I’ve had excellent Thai food and disappointing Thai food. A couple of the western weekly specials have been excellent as well but when I tried a Sunday roast it was the same very disappointing experience.

If you do plan to go and eat there I’d suggest messaging or phoning to reserve a table or you might end up, as I have more than once, walking in to see the place nearly empty but with ‘Reserved’ on pretty much every bloody table.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Based upon previous experiences and your (at best) luke warm reply, I am in no hurry to try again.

18 hours ago, davidge said:

Had the exact same experience on my trip last year.  Went with 3 people and we got there at about 5.45 for some dinner and drinks and watching some sport.  All tables (booths) were empty but all except 1 booth had a reserved sign.  

We took the non reserved booth and we spent about 5 hours there.  What I noticed was that families and larger groups were being turned away due to the tables being reserved.  At around 7.30 to 8.30 then the customers that reserved  the tables began arriving and most of the time it was only 1 customer and they would sit at the booth (which could accomodate 6-8 people) and have 1 meal and a beer and leave within 45 mins.

Just seemed a crazy business model (maybe their focus is for the regular expats as the staff seemed to be familiar with the customers that had made the reservations).

I only noticed all of this as we were at the booth closet to the door so the 6-8 groups of more than 6 people that were getting turned away were right in front of me.

We had a great night and really enjoyed Hemingways but if it was my business I would be making some changes 😀

On 06/02/2024 at 18:36, davidge said:

Temporary one way system for Jomtien Beach Road for however long the drainage work takes:

IMG_6681.jpeg

I guess most baht buses will go back along Second Road.

This is meant to be starting tomorrow (15 February).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2024 at 00:15, davidge said:

This is meant to be starting tomorrow (15 February).

Are the buses going through second road now ?

50 minutes ago, crazivampire69 said:

No, not yet.

59 minutes ago, crazivampire69 said:

Changed to 1 March ..

from my reading of the published map ( looks like it's done by a 4 yr old ) , the outbound traffic , buses included will still use the original beach road route ..the traffic back into Pattaya will be confined mainly to 2nd road. 

Will this "drainage work" affect the walking path along Beach Road as well?