IGNORED

Jomtien - my very rough guide

davidge

Thanks again to Davidge for posting all of this helpful info!  I'm starting my 3rd trip (in 12 yrs) to Pattaya with this first time staying in Jomtien area instead of the middle of central Pattaya craziness. I'm testing my theory that I'll prefer to have a peace-and-quiet home base while only a few minutes' baht bus ride over the hill to as much craziness as I might ever want. 

It's definitely nicer for beach time and relaxation than the Pattaya main beach area, but I am pleasantly surprised so far that pricing isn't "that much" higher for food & massages, etc., than in the city center.  I still haven't found my go-to eateries like I used to have in central Pattaya, but the Rompho open air stalls and even a few places I wandered down to on Theppraya provide some low cost options when I don't want to be too spendy.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Snigs said:

but I am pleasantly surprised so far that pricing isn't "that much" higher for food & massages, etc., than in the city center.

Didnt you mean to say lower? Arent prices should be lower outside of a town than inside of a town?

I guess that depends on the town, but usually the forces of competition among a TON of suppliers/places in a concentrated place, like central Pattaya, would force prices downwards.  In most places that I've found girls and services around the world, when there was a high concentration of providers or services, they knew they had to keep their pricing competitive to attract the customers.   I suppose Jomtien has fewer customers (less demand) walking around, though, so it could work either way.  🙂

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, davidge said:

In terms of changes, Trindy’s Indonesian restaurant has closed and been replaced by a Thai restaurant and a bar. A few new bars have opened along Thappraya between the arch and the beach 

That is the restaurant from the ground floor at VT 2A ( 3 angels )  that has relocated to that site . They seem to have renamed it Trend ..probably to save on signage cost ? 

A quick look at their menu prices suggests that they are aiming for the " pink baht" ! .. not cheap Charlie expats like me :)

2 hours ago, gusincebu said:

That is the restaurant from the ground floor at VT 2A ( 3 angels )  that has relocated to that site . They seem to have renamed it Trend ..probably to save on signage cost ? 

A quick look at their menu prices suggests that they are aiming for the " pink baht" ! .. not cheap Charlie expats like me :)

I stopped outside a couple of weeks ago and was told they didn’t have a chef so there was no food. I stopped again Saturday and was told they now have a chef and can do Thai food. From what I remember from the menu from the first time I stopped, the prices seemed fairly typical for the area. Below Hemingway’s etc but well above street carts.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

On 02/01/2023 at 12:37, splitpin said:

I would use Viper agogo more, but the music when I have been in is that awful issan pop, which the DJ is playing for the girls, not the customers

Agreed.   Viper has a lot of unrealized potential

• Like 2

All updates are welcome for Jomtien as lots expats live there in the various condos and apartments.

So all recommendations are great….good value bars / pubs…reasonable priced quality eating places…be it restaurants or cafes…barber shops…salons….massage shops etc…

Be heading back to Jomtiengrad next Feb as been away a while & flights are reasonable compared to this year….plus the condo will be available.

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2023 at 19:18, Rocketboy said:

I was just there an hour ago! :)

20230116_182434.jpg

20230116_182441.jpg

20230116_182447.jpg

20230116_182452.jpg

20230116_182456.jpg

20230116_182459.jpg

20230116_182502.jpg

20230116_182506.jpg

That’s Chao Doi?? Or Branch??

1 hour ago, davidge said:

That’s Chao Doi?? Or Branch??

That is Chao Doi.

3 minutes ago, Rocketboy said:

That is Chao Doi.

Thanks.

Looks like they're about to start beach widening at the Dongtan end of Jomtien beach..this ugly beast just pulled in ..

IMG_20230705_175317.jpg

11 minutes ago, gusincebu said:

Looks like they're about to start beach widening at the Dongtan end of Jomtien beach..this ugly beast just pulled in ..

IMG_20230705_175317.jpg

Hope not!!!

8 hours ago, Rocketboy said:

Hope not!!!

I second what Rocketboy says. From what i see further along Jomtien beach itself the beach widening has made it look like a very open empty looking expanse of a beach.

While it may look ok for the busy thoroughfare of beach road looking out to sea, i feel for the quaint walk along Dongtan Beach through to Soi 5 doesn't warrant such an expansion. Being able to walk along the narrow path and under the shade of the palm lined section of Dongtan while being able to easily reach the shoreline for a quick dip of the toes is truly an enjoyable experience. Widening that section of the beach means you would have to walk a considerable distance to do just that.

Good news , it's not there this morning , so must have been passing thru .

Dropped it's anchor at about 6 pm , but gone now. 

I'm the same , I don't see anything wrong with the current width of the beach 🏖️.. Na Jomtien end looks like a desert wasteland.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a brief update. I’ve been slightly more adventurous recently so a few more places to mention.

The area around Dongtan is still very quiet with many businesses struggling for customers. I did go to a Wine Club event in Sandbar that was more or less sold out. Excellent food and wine but far too hot. They do seem to have a handful of customers when I walk past. O-La-La near Sandbar has a handful of customers at times as well. I had breakfast there with a friend and there were 3 other customers. Breakfast was poor but the view was good. 

Happy Vikings on Beach Rd was very busy when I went there. Decent food but slow service. I’ve not been to Rhompo but it has seemed fairly lively when I’ve gone past. I’ve also been to Soi 7 and it was much quieter than I remember it. A few places have closed and not too many customers in many others. I went to Jimmy’s (which has moved from Jomtien Beach Condos) and it was pretty busy for the live music night. They do food as well, and have a good reputation for Sunday lunch. It’s very much set up as a bar rather than a restaurant though. The staff were very good. I even ventured as far down as Pupen, though I won’t be rushing back.

Getting to and from Pattaya hasn’t got any easier. More construction than ever now on second road - both sides of the Pattaya Tai lights. I don’t even think about going on a weekend when there’s always people down from Bangkok even when it’s not a holiday. There’ve been a lot more coaches around in the last week or two as well. 

It’s been very hot and humid most days. Even a short walk to the beach and back and a change of shirt is needed.

I forgot to mention an old favourite that I’ve revisited this trip. The Continental Bakery is on Thappraya Road just past the Thepprasit junction as you come into Jomtien, on the same side of the road as Foodmart and the Airport Bus station.

I’ve been in twice recently. It opens at 5.30am as it bakes its own bread and cakes as well as being a restaurant. I think it closes about 7pm. The same menus as I remember with a huge selection of different breakfasts. Not the best aircon (as always) but plenty of fans so cool enough inside. It’s had a few other customers both times I’ve been in. The first visit I ordered the Scottish breakfast which I didn’t enjoy. Today I ordered the English Breakfast which was good.

7CA60B47-1297-4FAB-913A-5301DA8C2D04.jpeg

Decent sausage, good ham with ‘American style’ bacon. Service was very quick. It comes with toast, orange juice and tea or coffee. Good value at 165 baht.

Friend had the German breakfast and enjoyed it. 

I don’t often eat breakfast/brunch or I’d go there more often.

Edit: I found some of the menu online just fyi:

IMG_5861.jpegIMG_5862.jpegIMG_5863.jpegIMG_5864.jpegIMG_5865.jpeg

On 07/08/2018 at 03:07, davidge said:

I walked past the Amazon cafe a few times. I’m not familiar with the brand. A friend said to avoid so I didn’t try.

I should add, I am VERY fussy about the coffee I drink. There’s not a single restaurant/pub/bar in Jomtien where I’ve been served drinkable coffee. Starbucks serves coffee I enjoy - either filter if they’re using the right blend, or Americano.

Guess I’ll have to give Amazon a try - though if it’s dark roast French/Italian coffee then it will be my only visit.

I know this post is from quite a while back but I want to say that my favorite coffee in Jomtien is what I brew at home with Starbucks Kenya beans. Honorable mention goes to the Dirty Coffee at Rabbit in the Moon on Beach Rd. I've had decent lattes at several other shops including O Delices (good coffee and food served with a scowl), Branch, Wombat, Cottage Cafe on Chaiyapruek, and a couple others I can't think of right now.

Edited by duke main

5 minutes ago, duke main said:

I know this post is from quite a while back but I want to say that my favorite coffee in Jomtien is what I brew at home with Starbucks Kenya beans. Honorable mention goes to the Dirty Coffee at Rabbit in the Moon on Beach Rd. I've had decent lattes at several other shops including O Delices (good coffee and food served with a scowl), Branch, Wombat, Cottage Cafe on Chaiyapruek, and a couple others I can't think of right now.

I brought 2 kilos of beans with me (Guatemala Antigua Medium Roast) and have a coffee in my condo each morning. I haven’t had a coffee anywhere else all trip. Even in Starbucks I order tea. I find one large coffee a day is generally enough for me now.

There is a new restaurant in Pratamnak, which I tried this weekend for the American breakfast.

The bacon and sausage patty was excellent, though a little pricey at 250b including tea or coffee or juice.

S__3662166.thumb.jpg.56b998bb82aa16c49ba82bcc2403fa2f.jpg

They are next door to Co&Cafe which is still my favourite spot for coffee or brunch.

10 hours ago, davidge said:

I forgot to mention an old favourite that I’ve revisited this trip. The Continental Bakery is on Thappraya Road just past the Thepprasit junction as you come into Jomtien, on the same side of the road as Foodmart and the Airport Bus station.

I’ve been in twice recently. It opens at 5.30am as it bakes its own bread and cakes as well as being a restaurant. I think it closes about 7pm. The same menus as I remember with a huge selection of different breakfasts. Not the best aircon (as always) but plenty of fans so cool enough inside. It’s had a few other customers both times I’ve been in. The first visit I ordered the Scottish breakfast which I didn’t enjoy. Today I ordered the English Breakfast which was good.

7CA60B47-1297-4FAB-913A-5301DA8C2D04.jpeg

Decent sausage, good ham with ‘American style’ bacon. Service was very quick. It comes with toast, orange juice and tea or coffee. Good value at 165 baht.

Friend had the German breakfast and enjoyed it. 

I don’t often eat breakfast/brunch or I’d go there more often.

Edit: I found some of the menu online just fyi:

IMG_5861.jpegIMG_5862.jpegIMG_5863.jpegIMG_5864.jpegIMG_5865.jpeg

Has the coffee pot been cleaned this decade?

Ok lads I have removed a few posts that were distracting from the main thrust of this thread.  

Please leave any arguing out of the thread please.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Has the coffee pot been cleaned this decade?

Haven’t drunk the coffee there in years. Not sure I’ll bother with tea either next time. I think they’ll me give me a bottle of water in lieu which will be fine.

I tried the SINT cafe opp Subway 

115b breakfast filled me up 

And yes I waited for my 5 baht  change !

17 hours ago, article22 said:

There is a new restaurant in Pratamnak, which I tried this weekend for the American breakfast.

The bacon and sausage patty was excellent, though a little pricey at 250b including tea or coffee or juice.

S__3662166.thumb.jpg.56b998bb82aa16c49ba82bcc2403fa2f.jpg

They are next door to Co&Cafe which is still my favourite spot for coffee or brunch.

Those pancakes look nice and looks like they are American size if you will! :)Will go check it out my friend! 

Nice seeing you and @duke mainat Branch!

Edited by Rocketboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2