Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Jomtien - my very rough guide

davidge

• 8 months later...

Thanks so much for a very informative thread. I’m moving back to Thailand and booking a nice south-facing unit in VT7 on a one year lease, unless someone tells me something bad about that building that would warn me against it. 

I’m very familiar with Pattaya but never lived in Jomtien. The older I get the more I like the quieter lifestyle with the occasional trip into the party zone. 

Kwickie

7 hours ago, Kwickie said:

Thanks so much for a very informative thread. I’m moving back to Thailand and booking a nice south-facing unit in VT7 on a one year lease, unless someone tells me something bad about that building that would warn me against it. 

I’m very familiar with Pattaya but never lived in Jomtien. The older I get the more I like the quieter lifestyle with the occasional trip into the party zone. 

Kwickie

VT7 is in an excellent location and has a very good pool. Decent laundry service on ground floor as well - assuming it’s still there.

I’ve stayed there twice, for a month each time, 3 years apart.

The building itself is pretty quiet as about half the condos have never been sold. They let all sorts of people use the car park so that is often busy - and you just need to keep half an eye open for cars when walking through it.

I thought there were signs of them trying to economise when I stayed the second time. Fewer security guards and they wouldn’t put all the corridor lights on at night. No major issues.

If you’re on the south side you might get some noise from bars occasionally. It only bothered me once the time I stayed on that side. When I stayed on the north side I could hear the music from Sandbar, but that finishes quite early. Otherwise, all I could hear was the sea.

Given the current situation, there are deals to be had. Push on price before agreeing to rent. I’ve seen a number of units there asking 12k and a few asking 8 or 9k.

They were generally 15-20k before Covid.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I have stayed at VT7  on my last few trips. Well placed to walk to the more popular parts of Jomtien, and you can get taxi, motorbike taxi or baht bus into Patts from just outside.

I never used the pool, it was usually busy with Russian mums with kids when I was there in January/February. And I think there was a daily charge to use it, maybe 50 baht.

It is of course next to beach so easy enough to grab a lounger there, which I think was 150 baht a day. The first time I did that about seven years ago the guys who rented out the loungers/deckchairs would only rent to you if you said you would be coming every day for a month! But it got less busy over the last few years and you could always find one for just the day last time I went. Half were empty.

The condos are quiet. There was some music from Sandbar, but usually only at weekends. And occasionall I could hear music from the Jomtien Complex if there was a party there. No traffic noise in the evening.

There are several laundries in the basement and nearby. The basement laundries can usually arrange cleaning of your condo if you need that.

Generally rent is higher the higher up the condo is. But great views out to sea.

I will stay there when I can get back to Thailand and would think it would be good for a long term rental. 

Definitely no charge to use the pool.

VT2A have a system where the pool restaurant charges for use of sun beds (if I owned there I’d be complaining!) so it’s possible that VT7 has followed suit recently. It definitely wasn’t happening the first time I stayed there as I used the pool a lot. I only went once last trip but wasn’t asked to pay.

I didn't use the pool, but I'm pretty sure I saw a notice that said the Condo owners committee had introduced a charge. 

I forgot to say the North side condos are on the shaded side for most of the day so cooler if you like to sit out on balcony.

South side condos have sun most of the day. 

1 hour ago, quietguy77 said:

I didn't use the pool, but I'm pretty sure I saw a notice that said the Condo owners committee had introduced a charge. 

I forgot to say the North side condos are on the shaded side for most of the day so cooler if you like to sit out on balcony.

South side condos have sun most of the day. 

I have to say, if someone tried to charge me for using the pool in a condo I was staying at then I’d go apeshit.

I currently am about 7 months into a 2 year rental at VT2A. Before deciding on this place, we took a long look at a VT7 24th floor corner 3 unit place with a wrap around balcony. The kitchen was spot on with new appliances including a stove and dish washer. The problems with the place were that they had it divided up so it could be rented out to 2 parties at the same time. This meant that it had two beds and 2 kitchen areas. IMO that destroyed the ergonomics of the rental. Also, the furniture was a little ratty. The Northside view was spectacular (I would only want the North side). This was pre-covid. They were asking $38k a month for a one year rental

We found a 3 unit place in VT2A that I liked better and that was $32K. I like the VT2A pool, but never use the sun chairs. I have no reason to, as I am there to swim for an hour once or twice a day. I also would only take a North side room at VT2A because of the bar noise in the alley (not lately though :) ).

The observations others made about VT7 sounded spot on to what I observed while checking it out.

Oh, because I live here and have a gf, I target triple unit condos that run about 120 sqm or so.

• 5 weeks later...

There is a new shop, Expat Foods, selling what appears to be mainly UK brands in turning between Soi 10 and Soi 11 Jomtien.

Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 14.30.24.png

1 minute ago, quietguy77 said:

There is a new shop, Expat Foods, selling what appears to be mainly UK brands in turning between Soi 10 and Soi 11 Jomtien.

Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 14.30.24.png

Yes, downstairs in Jomtien Beach Condo - either building S1 or S2.

There’s also a new one called The Pantry, next to the Hanuman Statue. It’s run by the manager of Hemingway’s.

There’s a third on Pratumnak (I think between Sois 5 & 6).

• Like 2

On 12/04/2021 at 09:44, davidge said:

There’s also a new one called The Pantry, next to the Hanuman Statue. It’s run by the manager of Hemingway’s.

Screenshot 2021-04-11 at 16.13.05.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've heard that Simple Simon's in Soi 5 has now closed, apparently for good - the inside has been cleared.

It used to be a good place for expat food. 

• Sad 2

• 5 months later...

Thanks @davidge for pointing me here!

I will defenetly try Jomtien on my next longer trip.

On 13/03/2021 at 18:02, ChiFlyer said:

I currently am about 7 months into a 2 year rental at VT2A. Before deciding on this place, we took a long look at a VT7 24th floor corner 3 unit place with a wrap around balcony. The kitchen was spot on with new appliances including a stove and dish washer. The problems with the place were that they had it divided up so it could be rented out to 2 parties at the same time. This meant that it had two beds and 2 kitchen areas. IMO that destroyed the ergonomics of the rental. Also, the furniture was a little ratty. The Northside view was spectacular (I would only want the North side). This was pre-covid. They were asking $38k a month for a one year rental

We found a 3 unit place in VT2A that I liked better and that was $32K. I like the VT2A pool, but never use the sun chairs. I have no reason to, as I am there to swim for an hour once or twice a day. I also would only take a North side room at VT2A because of the bar noise in the alley (not lately though :) ).

The observations others made about VT7 sounded spot on to what I observed while checking it out.

Oh, because I live here and have a gf, I target triple unit condos that run about 120 sqm or so.

Vt2a has been my usual place the last few trips I like the location, the whole relaxed feel of the place and amenities. Hoping for a trip in June 2022. Are the offices on the first floor that do the lending still there after the covid debacle ? Who has the best apartments ? I find Agoda and such sites a bit difficult when it comes to finding a place in apartment buildings. For hotels Agoda is fine but for places like vt they are not the best.

2 minutes ago, w1lly said:

Vt2a has been my usual place the last few trips I like the location, the whole relaxed feel of the place and amenities. Hoping for a trip in June 2022. Are the offices on the first floor that do the lending still there after the covid debacle ? Who has the best apartments ? I find Agoda and such sites a bit difficult when it comes to finding a place in apartment buildings. For hotels Agoda is fine but for places like vt they are not the best.

Dancewatchers are based in VT2A and had a large number of units there of varying prices. Always found them reliable.

https://www.dancewatchers.com/

One of the other agents in the building might be cheaper but I never found them easy to get hold of.

5 minutes ago, davidge said:

Dancewatchers are based in VT2A and had a large number of units there of varying prices. Always found them reliable.

https://www.dancewatchers.com/

One of the other agents in the building might be cheaper but I never found them easy to get hold of.

Fantastic. Thank you so much! Have tried a few emails to others I’ve previously used. but no replies. I just started to assume they were among the unfortunate ones who went out of business during this terrible situation. Dancewatchers it is then. 

On 20/07/2015 at 21:41, davidge said:

I recently stayed at View Talay 7 in Jomtien for 18 days.

I'd tried to find out as much as I could before going, including on this forum, but found it quite difficult to find out very much.

I thought I'd post a few details of what I found out during my visit. It won't be any use to those who know Jomtien but, hopefully, may be of some use to a few others.

I'm sure any BM's who know Jomtien better than me will correct any mistakes I make 🙂

I've tried to mark some places on Google Maps and have posted below. Apologies that they're a bit messy, I'm not very good at this stuff!

Travelling between Jomtien and Pattaya:

The blue line on the maps shows the baht bus route. 10 baht as usual. A few times I hired one to get back to Jomtien (from Royal, from Soi LK Metro, from Pattaya Tai) and they agreed to150 baht each time. It would be more if you were going to one of Jomtien's higher numbered Sois.

I only went up as far as Soi 10 so I'm not sure how far they go before turning around.

Going from Jomtien I never had to wait very long before a baht bus came along. It usually took about 15 minutes to get to the lights at the junction between Pattaya Tai and Second Road. Saturday night was slower - up to 30 minutes. Every one I caught went straight on at the junction up Second Road.

To get to Jomtien from Pattaya the baht buses line up outside the school at the junction of Tai and Second. I've put a blue blob on the first map. They won't go until full. It is a bit like 'sardines' as they insist on 6 either side and at least 2 standing at the back! They usually filled up quickly but I occasionally had to wait up to 15 minutes.

I went into Pattaya twice most days and didn't find it too bad. I guess about 90 minutes a day travelling on average. I expect it would be slower in high season so I'm not sure I would want to do it then.

I never use motorbike taxis so can't comment on their cost.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Index to map:

1. VT7

2. Bondi

3. O-la-la

4. Simon's Fish & Chips

5. Immigration

6. Soi 6 - massages

7. Rhompo Market and Bars

8. Pig & Whistle

9. Jomtien Complex

10. The Continental Bakery

11. Food Mart. Bus Station. massage.

12. VT1

13. VT2

14. Pastrami on Rye

Bars:

There is a large group of bars at Rhompo. I went there twice. There is a food, clothes, general goods market next door. Mixed lot of girls and some katoeys. A number of places to eat.

If you are going there from Pattaya the easiest way is probably to stay on the baht bus until the bottom of Soi 7 then walk along the Soi and cross the road at the top.

Soi 7 itself has a lot of bars so you can stop for a drink or two on your way.

Soi Whitehouse is the dead-end Soi next along from Soi 7. Quite a few bars here also. hotel Danmark is on the right at the bottom if you want some Scandinavian food.

There are a few bars in the earlier Sois as well which I didn't explore that much.

There are a couple of quite popular bars on Thappraya Road close to VT7. Country Road is just the beach side of VT7 and has a number of pool tables. The infamous No. 1 A-Go-Go is directly opposite. Country Club is a bit further from the beach on the opposite side to VT7. It has a live band, seemed busy a lot of the time and charged more for drinks. Rumours is directly opposite Country Club and is quieter. I stopped going there when they cheated me on my check bin.

Jomtien Complex is a mainly gay bar area with restaurants. I didn't get upstairs (I'm pretty sure there is an upstairs?) so am not sure what that's like.

Massage:

There are at least 3 massage shops on Soi 6. The first two have a number of katoeys, Yellow House seemed to be only girls. There are also 3 or 4 massage shops on Thappraya near VT7 and down the side Soi opposite. A couple are gay, a couple seem genuine 'no extras' places. There is also a massage place next to the big Foodmart and bus station. I didn't try it but there's a thread on here somewhere ( is it

Rose Apple?).

Shopping:

As I mentioned the large FoodMart, it is 24 hour and has a very wide selection of European food etc. Not cheap! Obviously, there are 7-11's and smaller supermarkets everywhere. 3 on the bit of Thappraya by VT7 alone. There is also a Kodak shop on the same side as VT7 closer to the beach. They did a laminated copy of my passport for me and printed some pics from my phone and my boarding pass.

Restaurants:

Lots and lots of restaurants all over the place. Many expensive, many not.

I've marked those mentioned in my Trip Report

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/273814-back-to-the-future/

And those I reviewed or were mentioned in Nixonsbest breakfast thread

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/130612-nixonsbest-and-worst-breakfasts/

I also did individual reviews of some of them.

Other:

It's a very pleasant walk along Dongtan Beach (turn right as Thappraya reaches the beach) especially late afternoon. The road is closed to traffic during the day but watch out for motorbikes and bicycles. Lots of chairs to hire with free wi-fi advertised and drink sellers. I never got around to using them.

There was construction in the other direction all the way along to Soi 6 so I couldn't walk along next to the beach there. Lots and lots of chairs all the way along the beach to about Soi 8.

The buses go from next to the large FoodMart. I think it's only to the airport?

Finally, I've marked Immigration on Soi 5 in case anyone's not sure where it is. Shuts for lunch at 12. Very useful office next door for photos, copies and information.

If I think of anything else I'll add it. Please feel free to ask anything, or correct anything I've got wrong. 🙂

Edit: thought of something already! Nearly always much cooler in Jomtien than Pattaya especially in the evening. I got off the baht bus coming back from Pattaya at night and could actually walk around without sweating! The breeze starts to pick up late afternoon most days and makes a huge difference. I could also cross the roads without taking my life in my hands.

How was the fish and chips at Simons?

2 minutes ago, James Daniels said:

During my first trip very good. The next couple of times very good. The following trip, average. The last time I went there - bloody awful.

The owner had been trying to sell for a while. I’ve no idea how it is now or even if it’s open.

3 minutes ago, James Daniels said:

Maybe delicious 6 years ago when he made the post, but Simons business has been closed for a long time.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, w1lly said:

Fantastic. Thank you so much! Have tried a few emails to others I’ve previously used. but no replies. I just started to assume they were among the unfortunate ones who went out of business during this terrible situation. Dancewatchers it is then. 

I rent through Dancewatchers. They do not have the best prices, but they are very reliable. As a disclaimer I know the people that own and operate the business.

I’ve seen this fairly new Wine place advertising:

A2300D35-D696-49F8-9C05-3F1492D33CC8.jpeg

VinesToVino PATTAYA has now opened on Thepprasit Road.
Huge range of HORECA bottles at market-beating prices!  - Cannot be found in supermarkets!
Public Access Tuesday-Saturday 11:00-14:00 
(closed Sunday/Monday)
hotel and Restaurants, please contact us for an appointment. 
FREE Delivery of 12 bottles anywhere in Thailand. 
https://www.vinestovino.com

It’s a good way up Thepprasit but I’ll have to try and get there next trip.

I look forward to a review from @ChiFlyerin a week or two :)

46 minutes ago, davidge said:

FREE Delivery of 12 bottles anywhere in Thailand

Thanks mate! Gonna have to try this. Wine around here isn't easy. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

1 hour ago, davidge said:

FREE Delivery of 12 bottles anywhere in Thailand. 
https://www.vinestovino.com

It’s a good way up Thepprasit but I’ll have to try and get there next trip.

I look forward to a review from @ChiFlyerin a week or two :)

Looks like it is a minimum order of 12 bottles and only for delivery. Says that they are open to the public a few days a week from 11:00 to 14:00, which is the time of day when alcohol sales are not permitted. The wines appear to be similarly priced to the Wine Connection, which I have been happy enough with. Still, I will look into what they have to offer.

2 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

11:00 to 14:00, which is the time of day when alcohol sales are not permitted.

Alcohol sale is not permitted between 2pm and 5pm.

You can only buy alcohol between 11 am to 2 pm and 5 pm to midnight.

Just now, davidge said:

Alcohol sale is not permitted between 2pm and 5pm.

Correct. My bad.