IGNORED

Jomtien - my very rough guide

davidge

3 hours ago, DeLaMunte said:

Thx for the feedback so far gents ... definitely not looking for 20yo Walking Street dancers, but not for 45+yo milfs either ...

That's the post that I found and got me worried:

Jomtien Resident

Jomtien has been in serious decline for at least one year, with this year 2018 the quietest start to the high season ever. Virtually the whole of the Rhumpo Bar complex has closed down with the remaining bars due to close by 1 April 2019 for a redevelopment project. Whilst there are bars open on Treppassit Road, Soi’s 1-5, massages on Soi 6, Soi 7 and the next Soi called Whitehouse, the quality of ladies has somewhat deteriorated. There are now many ladies 40+ and even 50+, some of which look like grandmas. Granted, there are still some younger, more attractive ladies around but they are becoming very difficult to find. Most bars are virtually empty with a couple of very bored looking girls playing on their telephones. Most attractive ladies have moved from Jomtien to Pattaya where they are earning double the salary that they can get working in Jomtien. If you like young attractive girls, then Jomtien is not the place to go for a night out, unless you are very old and not too fussed about quality of girls.

That post could well describe the beer bar situation in pattaya it's self.things change bit by bit every year some good like more eating options,proper shops and supermarkets,beerbars in decline in numbers and quality of girls but that's been happening for years now.The gogo girls are out of my income I am now a comfortable but not cashed up pensioner,but you can find a wife de jour if you don't set your sights to high.If you can spend 10,000 a night you can have a ball.

• 3 months later...

Davidge, this is a great thread which I've enjoyed reading and from which I've learned a lot.  I have booked a 1,000 square foot classy condo in VT5 for three weeks next year, part of a SE Asia vacation with my SO.

During our stay I will want to go out for a 'walk' or a massage on a few occasions.  Can you recommend any good massage places close to VT5 which have happy ending/BJ/FS on offer?

On 18/03/2019 at 01:47, pattayaplayer said:

Davidge, this is a great thread which I've enjoyed reading and from which I've learned a lot.  I have booked a 1,000 square foot classy condo in VT5 for three weeks next year, part of a SE Asia vacation with my SO.

During our stay I will want to go out for a 'walk' or a massage on a few occasions.  Can you recommend any good massage places close to VT5 which have happy ending/BJ/FS on offer?

Soi 6 in Jomtien is the place to go for massages. A few shops next to each other. A smattering of katoeys mixed in with the ladies.

• Like 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Does anyone know the latest news regarding the Rompho complex??

As the bars, open food stalls and fruit market are very popular.

I have heard rumours it’s going to be a supermarket, hospital or yet another condo block?? Be a pity as some bars at the front and the Corner bar are nice and popular.

A lot of expats like me like the laid back relaxed vibe of Jomtien and no probs getting to Patts if u want to be in the middle of the madness!!

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

50 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

I have heard rumours it’s going to be a supermarket, hospital or yet another condo block?? Be a pity as some bars at the front and the Corner bar are nice and popular.

A lot of expats like me like the laid back relaxed vibe of Jomtien and no probs getting to Patts if u want to be in the middle of the madness!!

Nothing definite.

A couple of people have posted in other threads that bar owners don’t know what’s going to happen when lease runs out at end of month.

A lot of the bars have closed now.

Rumour of hospital but that may be just because site is owned by Bangkok Christian Hospital.

• Like 1

Hmmm so will be kept in suspenders until then!?!

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

On 18/03/2019 at 08:47, pattayaplayer said:

Actually, you'll find two shops almost directly across the road from VT5..one is small with about 5-6 ladies who are a little on the older side. And the other a little further up near the 7-11 they have a double shop (two units side by side) with about 8-12 ladies with several that are younger and cute...but be aware that they also have a rep for letting the younger ones draw in the customer and then try to switch to a different lady (and or ladyboy)...just stand your ground and show a willingness to walk away and it generally gets sorted right away.

Haven't been there in while but you can also take a look at the Rose-Apple massage next to Foodmart near the bus station. Own by a lady who was once a minor legend in Jomtien back when she worked at the Yellow House on Soi 6.

• Like 1

Men lose a lot of money chasing women, but seldom lose women while chasing money.

• Ru4Real changed the title to Jomtein - my very rough guide
On 21/03/2019 at 17:51, stickyfingers said:

Wednesday evening, March 20, the owner of the Rompho Beer Bar Complex told the bar owners they will now be renting on a yearly basis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

• 2 months later...

Great thread!  Thanks for the effort and info!

• 1 month later...

Back in Jomtien so a quick update. I haven’t explored very much yet but I’d say it’s quieter than this time last year and the traffic to/from Pattaya isn’t nearly as bad.

Changes etc:

Cafe Ritzi has closed. A couple of new restaurants have opened near where it was (at least I don’t remember them from last year), one is Italian the other undefined. Neither were open when I walked past in the evening so don’t know if they’ve come and gone or are just taking a break.

The Silverlake Winery shop next to Tinnies which opened just before I left last year has gone already. There’s now a barber there with the prices looking a little high. There’s another barber just further along that small Soi further inside Jomtien Complex and O’Delices bakery has opened on the corner. Didn’t think their bread was as good as the Continental, haven’t tried their cakes & pastries.

The prom along Dongtan Beach has been completed all the way to the bottom of Pratumnak Sois 5/6 so a level, even walk now the entire distance. There are lights along it so you can also walk in the evening.

I’ll try to update further towards the end of my trip.

Very quick edit: walked past the Italian tonight and a sign said it’s closed for a month for refurbishment in order to become 2 floors.

The other Italian (can’t remember name) isn’t there so maybe this is in the same place but was renamed???

Edit: for those missing the American fayre of Rich Man Poor Man, I noticed it’s cart/booth open this evening on the left hand side of the small Soi into Jomtien Complex next to Tinnie’s.

Also, Dick’s Cafe closed tonight’s and signs gone - sure it was open a few nights ago. I think it had been For Sale for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Another brief update.

Chinese tour coaches back with a vengeance. Dozens every night, usually less than a quarter full, heading out from Second Rd then back again later. I’ve seen a few Chinese walking around Jomtien of an evening as well. Not sure where they go a they certainly haven’t been in any of the restaurants or bars that I frequent.

The ‘undefined’ restaurant I mentioned 2 posts back turns out to be a Scandinavian one called Helm. I’ve walked by a number of times in the evening and only seen the owner, wife & kids. Never seen a customer. Doesn’t help that there’s no menu on display outside or any indication of what they serve or prices.

I took some photos of the menu at the Richman shack and posted in this thread https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/318046-richman-poorman-jomtien-beach/page/2/#comments if anyone (American BMs I guess) is interested.

I went to Rhompo last night with a friend and there’s not much left in terms of bars. I didn’t walk to the back but everything seemed dark there. Don’t think the number of open bars even reached double figures. Still, if you want a quiet drink & maybe a game of pool then it’s still an option. I had an ice cold Heineken for 60 baht in one if the bars at the front, sat in a comfy chair and the women were attentive but not at all pushy. The food stalls next to Kiss still seemed to be going strong and had a number of customers.

We then walked down Soi 7. The majority of bars had no customers, others one or two. A small number had a few more, what looked like regulars, so were doing ok. Most, but not all, bars on the Soi have comfortable chairs so an option for a quiet drink if you’re in the area. I think beer prices vary a little down here. We stopped at one bar and it was 80 baht for a Heineken, about standard now I guess but there’s cheaper around. They also charged 130 for a lady drink which I did think was the mamasan deciding to cash in on her only customers. 4 women that went from a (well-preserved) 44 yo to a lass in her early 20s. Honestly, the barely concealed desperation was a bit sad to see. Not hardened bargirls though (even the older one) but rather reminded me of the beer bar girls 20 years ago on Soi 8. I’m sure they would ‘take care’ of the right customer rather better than some of the ones elsewhere nowadays. 

As I’ve mentioned beer prices, Country Club now charges 95 baht for a Heineken which really is taking the piss. I guess they get away with it as expats go regularly to listen to the live music. I won’t be going in again though. I’m not paying 95 for a bottle of Heineken and sit on uncomfortable stools when I can have a pint around the corner in the Pig & Whistle for 105, or for 115 In Hemingway’s :wink: Rumours bar opposite Country Club has been quiet for a couple of years but I haven’t seen a customer in there this trip.

Think that’s enough of my ramblings for now.

1 hour ago, davidge said:

Another very brief update.

(snip)

We then walked down Soi 7. The majority of bars had no customers, others one or two. A small number had a few more, what looked like regulars, so were doing ok. Most, but not all, bars on the Soi have comfortable chairs so an option for a quiet drink if you’re in the area. I think beer prices vary a little down here. We stopped at one bar and it was 80 baht for a Heineken, about standard now I guess but there’s cheaper around. They also charged 130 for a lady drink which I did think was the mamasan deciding to cash in on her only customers. 4 women that went from a (well-preserved) 44 yo to a lass in her early 20s. Honestly, the barely concealed desperation was a bit sad to see. Not hardened bargirls though (even the older one) but rather reminded me of the beer bar girls 20 years ago on Soi 8. I’m sure they would ‘take care’ of the right customer rather better than some of the ones elsewhere nowadays. 

As I’ve mentioned beer prices, Country Club now charges 95 baht for a Heineken which really is taking the piss. I guess they get away with it as expats go regularly tolusten to the live music. I won’t be going in again though. I’m not paying 95 for a bottle of Heineken and sit on uncomfortable stools when I can have a pint around the corner in the Pig & Whistle for 105, or for 115 In Hemingway’s :wink: Rumours bar opposite Country Club has been quiet for a couple of years but I haven’t seen a customer in there this trip.

Think that’s enough of my ramblings for now.

There is a bit of variance in beer prices on soi 7. I don't know much about the bars down towards the beach, but I do know the 2nd road end bars.. a couple of bars do an extended HH, provided you are in by the end of normal HH Hours, if that make sense... so you can get your Heineken  for 60 or 65 baht pretty well as long as you like. Local beers can be had for 55 baht... and local spirits and a mixer for 50.

In that group of bars you are right. They are mainly sustained by the locals during low season, and usually during the afternoon.  Coming from 2nd road, Beaver and Cheers run by a nice German bloke, Next door to Cheers, is Ros Kilde, run by a Thai lady.. Always has lots of women, generally older, as does Beaver for that matter but generally younger.  Next to Beaver is the Golden Inn. It mainly caters to Danes, and is quiet when the owner (another great bloke) is away.. makes a nice burger on request...Next to Golden is The Roxy... Cheap beer and free pool, music from the 50's thru to now... Usually has a team of nice younger women during high season, but not at the moment...there is one lovely Freelancer been working there, but she turns up when  it suits her.  Across from The Roxy is the Ping Pong Bar 3. For some reason that bar never has many customers... dunno why? AFAIK, that space is for lease... Further down is the Anzac on the corner, it is steady most of the time... Next to that is Happy, run by a very nice Thai Lady... she is a crack up 555. During High Season her bar goes off most nights... And finally, next to Her is Ally Bar. Again a very nice Thai lady. I notice her space is for sale...

Most bars in that area are ok for a quiet drink... Sometimes you will find the old "diamond in the rough", but not so much during low season...

I walk past Country Club every night on the way home and speak with the small short haired Mamasan who sits out the front.  She reckons they are doing it tough.. and I think she is correct.. but if beer is 95 baht, there may lie some of her problem...Some nights, there are zero customers in the bar, but plenty of ladies... those small bars I just talked about in soi 7 are making more than Country Club on some nights....

I'm not American... But Rich Man Poor Man is very nice, if a wee bit pricey....

Edited by dave01

Thank a lot for all this information. Very handy for me since I'll shift location to Jomtien in two days. How is the FL situation at Jomtien Beach Road these days?

2 minutes ago, Tarpon said:

Thank a lot for all this information. Very handy for me since I'll shift location to Jomtien in two days. How is the FL situation at Jomtien Beach Road these days?

Honestly haven’t noticed. Can’t say I saw any when I’ve been along in the evening but then I wasn’t looking.

Edit: one important thing is they’ve dug up the stretch of road from the flyover down towards Pattaya. It’s now one way. All traffic going from Jomtien into Pattaya has to go down Third Road. Traffic is pretty bad. Songthaews go along Third Rd then back down Pattaya Tai so take longer. Taxis & mototaxis can use the small side Sois around Yensabai so it’s not so bad.

Coming back to Jomtien from Pattaya is normal. 

Thx for the info here about Jomty as will be back in October myself.

My usual bar for watching sports is the Corner bar at Rompho so hopefully they’re still doing ok as within walking distance from the condo.  Like you said most the other bars were dead even in high season on my last trip.

Hope the shack survives as great USA food fr the guy that had RMPM.

Glad the P & W is still going even tho the soi 7, Pattaya P & W has closed.

Just now, stickyfingers said:

Thx for the info here about Jomty as will be back in October myself.

My usual bar for watching sports is the Corner bar at Rompho so hopefully they’re still doing ok as within walking distance from the condo.  Like you said most the other bars were dead even in high season on my last trip.

Hope the shack survives as great USA food fr the guy that had RMPM.

Glad the P & W is still going even tho the soi 7, Pattaya P & W has closed.

The Corner Bar is open. I was sat in the bar opposite it. Not very busy - but most bars the same. The Shack hasn’t been open long so should manage to get through to High Season - though who knows! P&W Jomtien has had different owners to Soi 7 for a while so, again, will hopefully be ok. It still has it’s regulars in there though Hemingway’s gets a lot of the custom simply because they show pretty much all sport going, despite being more expensive and having considerably worse food.

1 minute ago, davidge said:

The Corner Bar is open. I was sat in the bar opposite it. Not very busy - but most bars the same. The Shack hasn’t been open long so should manage to get through to High Season - though who knows! P&W Jomtien has had different owners to Soi 7 for a while so, again, will hopefully be ok. It still has it’s regulars in there though Hemingway’s gets a lot of the custom simply because they show pretty much all sport going, despite being more expensive and having considerably worse food.

Yeah always busy in P&W and usually struggle to get seated but that’s a good sign as the foods usually good. Not tried Hemingway’s yet as seems to be sports pub but thx for the tip about their foods. Kiss rest was always packed as good budget meals and better than the Pattaya ones I always found, be even more busy with the crap exchange rates now I guess??

Thx for the updates and info...much appreciated!!

8 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

Yeah always busy in P&W and usually struggle to get seated but that’s a good sign as the foods usually good. Not tried Hemingway’s yet as seems to be sports pub but thx for the tip about their foods. Kiss rest was always packed as good budget meals and better than the Pattaya ones I always found, be even more busy with the crap exchange rates now I guess??

Thx for the updates and info...much appreciated!!

Thai food in Hemingway’s is ok, often very good. I had an excellent S&S chicken there last night (150 baht I think). The farang food is very hit & miss. Had an absolutely appalling lamb dinner there the day of the Cricket final! It has loads of big TV screens and shows different sports on different ones so you’re pretty much guaranteed to be able to watch what you want. That’s the main reason it gets a lot of it’s customers I think. Beer is good as well - though a little more expensive than P&W.

• Like 1

I eat in Hemingways 3 or 4 times a week when I stay in Jomtien. As davidge says the roast dinners aren't good, but the beer battered cod & chips is the best I've had in Jomtien. Chips aren't usually good in los, either soggy and undercooked, or those pre-frozen crinkly or french fries.

I've been told it is because Thai potatoes are the wrong type of potatoes for proper chips. but Hemingways' chips are the closest I've had to 'proper' chips. The steak & chips is good too.. I've never tried the Pig & Whistle, I'll have to give it a go next trip.

On 10/07/2019 at 09:55, davidge said:

There’s another barber just further along that small Soi further inside Jomtien Complex and O’Delices bakery has opened on the corner. Didn’t think their bread was as good as the Continental, haven’t tried their cakes & pastries.

Used the barber next to O'Delices lat week. 100 baht for an excellent scissor cut. Youngish guy from Surin. Now my go to barber. Had an excellent lunch in Tinnies and bought a sandwich and baguette from O'Delices, nothing to write home about, probably won't visit it again.

• Like 1

A final quick update. Heading home in 3 days.

The roadworks have made getting into Pattaya and back more if a hassle. It looks like the job will take several weeks at least. Complete nightmare over the holiday weekend.

Really confirmed what I already thought in terms of settling in Jomtien longer term. Plan on going into Pattaya in the week but stay in Jomtien on weekends - and especially on holiday weekends. Plenty to keep me occupied in Jomtien, and a few places I’ve visited for the first time on Pratumnak as well.

Slight concern that more building, traffic etc will make it a real pain getting to Pattaya at all in the future, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. Still prefer to have my base out of the Pattaya madness and quite happy pottering about Jomtien.

On 20/11/2018 at 00:53, DeLaMunte said:

Thx for the feedback so far gents ... definitely not looking for 20yo walking street dancers, but not for 45+yo milfs either ...

That's the post that I found and got me worried:

Jomtien Resident

Jomtien has been in serious decline for at least one year, with this year 2018 the quietest start to the high season ever. Virtually the whole of the Rhumpo Bar complex has closed down with the remaining bars due to close by 1 April 2019 for a redevelopment project. Whilst there are bars open on Treppassit Road, Soi’s 1-5, massages on Soi 6, Soi 7 and the next Soi called Whitehouse, the quality of ladies has somewhat deteriorated. There are now many ladies 40+ and even 50+, some of which look like grandmas. Granted, there are still some younger, more attractive ladies around but they are becoming very difficult to find. Most bars are virtually empty with a couple of very bored looking girls playing on their telephones. Most attractive ladies have moved from Jomtien to Pattaya where they are earning double the salary that they can get working in Jomtien. If you like young attractive girls, then Jomtien is not the place to go for a night out, unless you are very old and not too fussed about quality of girls.

Has it still lost its appeal to you, it seem every place get stail with everyone over time. From what I hear for a American that moved here, it is not as busy as Pattaya but he says it is just perfect for him, close enough to get to the crazy night life but quiet enough to live and a bar is always close by, not as busy but sometimes he just wants to relax, he is fighting a drug problem and there he can but in Pattaya he has no chance. The Ladies he rates as -7 not 9-10 like Pattaya Walking Street. I am going to visit him this fall.

18 hours ago, davidge said:

A final quick update. Heading home in 3 days.

The roadworks have made getting into Pattaya and back more if a hassle. It looks like the job will take several weeks at least. Complete nightmare over the holiday weekend.

Really confirmed what I already thought in terms of settling in Jomtien longer term. Plan on going into Pattaya in the week but stay in Jomtien on weekends - and especially on holiday weekends. Plenty to keep me occupied in Jomtien, and a few places I’ve visited for the first time on Pratumnak as well.

Slight concern that more building, traffic etc will make it a real pain getting to Pattaya at all in the future, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. Still prefer to have my base out of the Pattaya madness and quite happy pottering about Jomtien.

How intolerable has the traffic been on weekends?

I'm staying in Phra Tamnak in November (so high season) and the ride into Pattaya usually hits most of the Jomtien traffic around Buddha Hill. 

Luckily, I'm in an air conditioned van with comfortable seats, but I think the ride to Central Festival took about 30+ minutes in bad traffic on past trips, and I'm hoping that it won't be worse this time.