IGNORED

Jomtien - my very rough guide

davidge

19 hours ago, davidge said:

A final quick update. Heading home in 3 days.

Hope you had a good trip. Sorry we did not get time to connect for a beer or whatever.

I am leaving to return to Jomtien on September 11th. I will be staying through April 15th. Lots of Immigration stuff to do, but I already have it pretty well laid out. This will be my first extension of stay against my original O-A Non IM Long Stay.

Stay in touch from time to time. We may end up being neighbors.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

How intolerable has the traffic been on weekends?

I'm staying in Phra Tamnak in November (so high season) and the ride into Pattaya usually hits most of the Jomtien traffic around Buddha Hill. 

Luckily, I'm in an air conditioned van with comfortable seats, but I think the ride to Central Festival took about 30+ minutes in bad traffic on past trips, and I'm hoping that it won't be worse this time.

The roadworks were the real issue. All traffic heading towards Pattaya, from Jomtien or Pratumnak, has had to go under the flyover and along Third Rd. Add to that the extra traffic on the Holiday Weekend (which is more than the usual weekend traffic) and it would have been quicker to walk in! Without the construction, it’s slower but bearable on a normal weekend. 

I often use Grab to go into Pattaya in the evening and the drivers know the alternate routes if traffic is particularly bad. I’m quite familiar with the small Sois between Third Rd and Pattaya Tai myself by now :)

On a Holiday weekend I really wouldn’t bother leaving Jomtien.

19 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Hope you had a good trip. Sorry we did not get time to connect for a beer or whatever.

I am leaving to return to Jomtien on September 11th. I will be staying through April 15th. Lots of Immigration stuff to do, but I already have it pretty well laid out. This will be my first extension of stay against my original O-A Non IM Long Stay.

Stay in touch from time to time. We may end up being neighbors.

I don’t seem to have done much at all this trip really. Outside chance I’ll be here December/January but more likely not.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

3 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

How intolerable has the traffic been on weekends?

I'm staying in Phra Tamnak in November (so high season) and the ride into Pattaya usually hits most of the Jomtien traffic around Buddha Hill. 

Luckily, I'm in an air conditioned van with comfortable seats, but I think the ride to Central Festival took about 30+ minutes in bad traffic on past trips, and I'm hoping that it won't be worse this time.

It took over 40 minutes to get from Pratumnak to Soi 6 on Sunday. Traffic heavy by the underpass but worst delays were around Central Festival to Pattaya Klang.

Wow.... this is a great nugget of info!:ThumbUp6: Thanks for taking the time to do this and for the resent updates... I was trying to decide if I wanted to spend some time on that side of town guess i'll pencil in about 5 days out of 30 in that area now... thanks again

A great thread @davidge, thanks for all the information from the many contributors.

• Like 3

image.png

Can anyone tell me how much roughly a taxi from Naklua to Jomtien would be? I'm thinking of visiting Naklua next trip. I know I can get baht bus to Pattaya then another one to Naklua. But returning to Jomtien will be late and I might want to bring a companion back, so will probably need to get a taxi.

1 hour ago, quietguy77 said:

Can anyone tell me how much roughly a taxi from Naklua to Jomtien would be? I'm thinking of visiting Naklua next trip. I know I can get baht bus to Pattaya then another one to Naklua. But returning to Jomtien will be late and I might want to bring a companion back, so will probably need to get a taxi.

I always pay 300 bth from Naklua to Jomtien.

Last time for 4 people from Seafood Marked in Naklua to Soi 7 Jomtien.

1 hour ago, quietguy77 said:

I just put Sanctuary of Truth to VT7 into Grab and it quoted 390 baht. That should give you an idea. 300 baht would be a good fare if they’ll do it for that as suggested.

• davidge pinned this topic
  • 4 months later...

I’ve been back in Jomtien a week though I haven’t really been much further than the area around the arch etc. No major changes that I’ve noticed so far. Linda’s Restaurant has closed after many years and is now A Taste of Norway and there’s a hostel opened next door to it with prices going from about 350 baht for a dorm to 790 for a single (I think). Can’t say I’ve noticed any other changes.

Obviously, traffic over NY was crazy. I went into Pattaya on the 30th. Left Jomtien in a taxi at 7pm and got to Second Rd behind Mike’s at 8.05.

Most of the restaurants and bars around here have been busy. Hemingway’s absolutely packed on a few evenings, Pig & Whistle busy, beer bars between arch and beach busy when I’ve passed. Country Rd a bit slow,  Rumours fairly busy for a change. Complex seems busier than July when I’ve walked through but hardly packed out.

I’ll explore a bit more in the next couple of weeks and try to update.

Thanks for your report.  I look forward  to more updates especially on the restaurants.  I'm spending 3 weeks in VT5 in February.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, at the end of my trip and not too much more to add, I’m afraid. It’s been a VERY low key trip. I’ve spent most of time just pottering around the small area near the arch, with a few trips into Pattaya.

I’ve done some reviews of restaurants that are in the relevant section of the forum. 

It’s obviously a lot busier here than in July. A lot of Scandinavians seem to winter in Jomtien. The bars have generally been doing a good trade, with some exceptions. Restaurants similarly - not packed out but ok.

Prices have been the same as in July, pretty much. Three Roses put Heineken up to 80 baht, but Nana bar nearby still 70. Other places seemed fairly constant.

2 main things have struck me this time. The first is the daytime traffic. Thappraya is pretty much non-stop traffic from late morning to late afternoon. Queues back from the bottom lights up to Thepprasit & beyond coming into Jomtien. Busy going out - but more going up Thepprasit than heading into Pattaya. Construction under the flyover and on Pratumnak (no turning onto Pratumnak from Thappraya) hasn’t helped.

Baht buses pretty full going into Pattaya. Very difficult to find a seat heading into Pattaya early evening. The ones coming back fill up instantly.

The second thing has been the weather/air quality. It’s been very hot for this time of year and, other than the last couple of evenings, no sign of the breeze that you usually get in Jomtien - especially in the evenings. I’ve found it more difficult to deal with the heat than in July. Very little relief. The air quality is noticeably bad as well. A constant haze over Jomtien. I’ve been staying on the top floor of VT2 and haven’t had a clear view of Na Jomtien once. Most days it hasn’t been visible at all.

Hopefully, I’ll be able to add more to the thread when I return in July.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, davidge said:

Well, at the end of my trip and not too much more to add, I’m afraid. It’s been a VERY low key trip. I’ve spent most of time just pottering around the small area near the arch, with a few trips into Pattaya.

Looks like you are going to sneak out of town without letting me buy you a drink. :)

Sounds like it was a low key trip, but also hopefully a good one. I am here until Songkran and then have to return to the US for a few months to finalize some legal matters. I get back to Jomtien in late July and have no plans on returning to the US, except to see the grandkids from time to time.

If you are still here when I get back in late July, the one free drink offer still stands.

Take care and thanks for all the info that you supply

^^^
I freely admit to being an unsociable old git. :P

I was even staying in the same building as you as well. :rolleyes:

21 hours ago, davidge said:

^^^
I freely admit to being an unsociable old git. :P

I was even staying in the same building as you as well. :rolleyes:

Well - :o - just kidding - :) - I have never been accused of being a social gadfly my own damn self.

I would be interested in what you thought about the current state of the VT2A building, who you rented through, value for what you paid etc. I have a friend who owns a couple of studios on 18 (Pattaya side). He is seldom here, as he has fallen in love with Medellin, Colombia.

If you stayed on the Jomtien side of the building, you lucked out with regard to the late night bar music in the alley. It has been pretty quiet over there (knock on wood) for several weeks now. A few of us have raised consciousness with City Hall through the Building Management. It appears that in the short term, it has done some good. I did learn that the worst of the racket was due to one band in particular that was frequently hired for birthday parties. I have no quarrel with people having a little fun, but rattling my windows (I am not exaggerating)  at 3 AM from 1/2 km away makes me go to war.

I just contracted for a one year rental for a 3 unit place in VT2 on 16 starting August 1st. It is on the Pattaya side, so there should not be an ongoing late night bar noise problem. I also looked at a 3 unit place in VT7 on the 24th floor. The view (it was a corner unit with a wrap around balcony) was to kill for. However, the owner had subdivided the place into a studio and one bedroom. I could take both units, but that would mean I had 2 kitchens, which ate up the living space. This approach was also close to 50% higher than the VT2 rental. The furniture at the VT7 place was a little ratty, although the appliances were first rate. I decided to go with the VT2 condo, partially because we have friends here.

Stay in touch you unsociable old git. Mrs. CF says hi as well.

^^^
As I was arriving at the peak of high season I was a bit stuck. Couldn’t get my first 2 choices so Dancewatchers was an easy option. I chose the condo because the website said North side. It wasn’t, it was South. :NoNo3: As you say, music wasn’t really a problem though.

Top floor but not that good tbh. Shower was either too hot or too cold, furniture tatty. Hard pillows. Didn’t really enjoy staying there.

VT2A isn’t for me longer term. Too ‘busy’. Too many kids etc etc.

Power went out twice, but not for too long. Lifts a bit temperamental.

I thought Security was good - better than VT7 - and the laundry lady was good as well (first on the left as you go towards the pool). 

I won’t be staying in VT2A again unless I find myself ‘stuck’ once more. Location is fine though.

BTW, tell the Mrs that the salon halfway down the small Soi (Classy, I think it’s called) is excellent. :wink:

On 18/01/2020 at 01:02, davidge said:

^^^.....

BTW, tell the Mrs that the salon halfway down the small Soi (Classy, I think it’s called) is excellent. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback.

You really lucked out, if you are gone already, as they kicked it up over in the alley tonight and those of us on the noise patrol had to call in. It was the QM 2.0 bar, but they did knock it off by 1:30.

By the small soi, I think you mean soi Thappraya, which is an L shaped soi that connects Thappraya Road to Jomtien Second Road. I will mention it to my partner as a possible take over candidate or a place to work, if she chooses not to be an owner for a while.

There is a bar on that small soi near to where you first met the Mrs. that some of us hang out at from time to time. Nothing special, but you would be welcome.

4 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Thanks for the feedback.

You really lucked out, if you are gone already, as they kicked it up over in the alley tonight and those of us on the noise patrol had to call in. It was the QM 2.0 bar, but they did knock it off by 1:30.

By the small soi, I think you mean soi Thappraya, which is an L shaped soi that connects Thappraya Road to Jomtien Second Road. I will mention it to my partner as a possible take over candidate or a place to work, if she chooses not to be an owner for a while.

There is a bar on that small soi near to where you first met the Mrs. that some of us hang out at from time to time. Nothing special, but you would be welcome.

Yes that Soi. Not sure about working in the salon as I think she’s the wrong gender and sexual orientation. Well, at least one of those anyway  :P

I’ll take note of the bar, thanks. The ‘Sisters’ laundry did a good job for me when I stayed at Neo as well.

6 minutes ago, davidge said:

Yes that Soi. Not sure about working in the salon as I think she’s the wrong gender and sexual orientation. Well, at least one of those anyway  :P

Probably both of those I think. All are welcome at the bar I mentioned. It is called the Banana Bar and is next door to the salon where you first met the Mrs.

On 18/01/2020 at 01:02, davidge said:

^^^
As I was arriving at the peak of high season I was a bit stuck. Couldn’t get my first 2 choices so Dancewatchers was an easy option. I chose the condo because the website said North side. It wasn’t, it was South. :NoNo3: As you say, music wasn’t really a problem though.

Top floor but not that good tbh. Shower was either too hot or too cold, furniture tatty. Hard pillows. Didn’t really enjoy staying there.

VT2A isn’t for me longer term. Too ‘busy’. Too many kids etc etc.

Power went out twice, but not for too long. Lifts a bit temperamental.

I thought Security was good - better than VT7 - and the laundry lady was good as well (first on the left as you go towards the pool).

A few comments -

My experiences with Dancewatchers have been better than what you describe. Then again I tend to do long term rentals with them, so maybe I am getting a little better consideration. I know the management team and we have some mutual friends.

The "too busy" and "too many kids" actually appeals to us. Again this is probably because we do longer term stays. After you get to know some people there is a sense of community, where it makes the day a little better. The GF more than myself really appreciates this.

Security is indeed very good.

I use the same laundry lady as yourself. Actually, I think you are the one who recommended her to me. No complaints. The GF has left money in her pockets on several occasions and it was always returned.

For me one of the best features of VT2A (and VT2B for that matter) is the swimming pool area. It is really nice IMO. This is important to me as I go down every day in the late afternoon to get a little exercise and chew the shit with some friends, before I go out for dinner and destroy my calorie count for the day. :sad:

Also parking here is very good, partly because Security does a good job of keeping mooches out of the lots.

For a short term renter, the best feature is probably the location.

Like I said before, if I was buying I would likely go with VT7, but for long term rentals I prefer VT2A. This is mainly because what I have seen of a few VT7 properties, they have been laid out for vacationers. If I was to own one and remodel to my tastes, it is a newer building with better views, providing one avoids the bar noises. The larger condos at VT2A tend to be set up for longer term stays with regard to furniture, appliances, etc.

In general, some experienced old hands ex-pats that I talk to say that the VT properties are usually a good way to go as management tends to maintain the building better than many of the other properties. This is one reason for you brownouts. Also, they are discussing upgrading the elevators.

Edited by ChiFlyer

On 03/01/2020 at 20:43, davidge said:

I’ve been back in Jomtien a week though I haven’t really been much further than the area around the arch etc. No major changes that I’ve noticed so far. 

I haven't noticed much change from last year, except the upgrades to the path alongside Dongtan Beach have been completed. It's now fully paved or concreted with lighting and drainage. The carparks at Sandy Bar and and at the far end have also been concreted and have steel barriers surrounding them.

Makes a walk along beach easier. And there don't seem to be so many inconsiderate cyclists whizzing along path.

The Dongtan Beach sunlounger/deckchair guys seem to be getting fewer customers. I remember four or five years ago you would have to agree to coming to their pitch every day for a month to get a reservation. Now there are lots of empty sunloungers/deckchairs and you can just turn up and get one.

Edit: Also in previous years the beach was 'shut' on Wednesdays. But it is open today. I don't know if that means it is open every day now, or if it is shut on another day.

Edited by quietguy77

8 hours ago, quietguy77 said:

I haven't noticed much change from last year, ......

Another pleasant upgrade is that the road work going South from Rompho on Second Road has been completed recently. It is actually pleasant to drive on it now. Thappraya is pretty much done as well, so the trip into Pattaya has become a little more pleasant. They had/have all the sidewalks ripped up on the South side of Thepprasit, so people were walking in the street. The traffic can be pretty hectic there without the additional distraction. Third Road as it goes East from Thappraya is still a work in progress, but has gotten better from what I see. Phratamnak (near the Cozy Beach area) was close to being inaccessible a month or so back. Not sure if it has recovered as well.

I will have to see if some of my favorite restaurants in these areas survived the construction impact.  

I was told the Jomtien and Dongtan Beach are now being cleaned around 4am by the municipal cleaners. Before the sunlounger/deckchair guys used to keep the area immediately surrounding their pitches relatively clean, but didn't bother about areas a meter or so away from them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/01/2020 at 15:23, quietguy77 said:

Edit: Also in previous years the beach was 'shut' on Wednesdays. But it is open today. I don't know if that means it is open every day now, or if it is shut on another day.

The beach pitches were shut last Wednesday, so perhaps they were only open on Wedneday until the end of January.

There is a big area of land next to the Water Park that has been empty for years. Yesterday I saw a bulldozer with a harrow on back breaking up the surface, so it may be that there is a development coming.

• 4 months later...