Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

what is your camera

mmm606

Im not sure about 2 cameras for my next trip as an adition to my dslr:

Canon s120

Canon g16

Wich one would you recommend?

Im not sure about 2 cameras for my next trip as an adition to my dslr:

Canon s120

Canon g16

Wich one would you recommend?

As you have an slr already i would take the small 120 , very easy to carry around .

The small and compact Samsung EX1 has been my companion for the last few trips, and does amazingly sharp pictures, and is very good in lowlight conditions as well!

Plahgat

samsungex1-hk-sam0066.jpg

When no money... she no give honey! 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a Canon A640 point & shoot I bought at Robinsons for 14000. After only 4 years, the image sensor started to go and I was getting green and pink horizontal lines in some of my shots. So, I needed a new camera but didn't want to spend a lot of money.

Hense, I bought a used Nikon D5000 with a 17-55 mm kit lens at a camera shop in Gateway mall for 12000, less than I paid for the P&S I was replacing. The camera had 22,700 actuations, about as many pictures I've taken with it during the 10 months I've had it. The original price tag on the box was 28,000 baht so I was very happy with the acquisition.

But sometimes I needed more reach so I bought a 55-300 mm to compliment the kit lens for 11,900. Then, while at the Auto Show, I didn't care for shadows on the faces of the pretties, so I needed a speedlight, which meant another 11,900 for a SB-700. And, for portraits and night street photography, I needed a fast prime, so I bought a 50 mm f/1.4 for 13,500.

Add a Vanguard camera bag for 4300 and a Carry Speed strap for another 1200.

LOL I didn't realize it would end up costing so much.

Retired

In 2005 i bought a simple Sony W1 (5 mega pix) and it took excellent photos of girls.

Sony W1.jpg

Edited by Billyboy294

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

We carry a Canon 1DX and a 5D3, but there's no way that we take them out at night. For that we carry a Canon G9.

The Canon SLRs have 'pro' written all over them and as a couple we find that people shut down on us after about 6pm.  The G9 takes good pics and is perceived to be far less intrusive making us just look like tourists who are slow taking shots ;)

M&C xxx

For daily use the Canon A2500, cheap and cheerful. Between that and the smartphone (which one should never trust with compromising material) the dslr hardly sees use anymore.

For daily use the Canon A2500, cheap and cheerful. Between that and the smartphone (which one should never trust with compromising material) the dslr hardly sees use anymore.

For 1000 Baht more get the Canon ip2600. (3900 Baht.) Similar to 2500 but with a 3inch screen as opposed to 2.8.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

I have a collection of cameras, mostly inexpensive and many bought just for my SE Asia mongering. These include: Nokia Pureview 808 ($350ish), Nokia Lumia 1020 (on an inexpensive plan, so minimal cost), Canon Ixus 220HS (can't remember price, but not expensive) Canon Legria Video Camera ($60 from ebay).

I find having multiple video angles (including handheld and fixed video), and a floating second camera for stills (or backup when batteries die) useful, especially when more than one LBFM is being enjoyed.

Fuji HS50EXR, but when I'm in Pattaya next I'm going to dig out my old Nokia N8 phone and use that for the majority of photos. I'm not a good photographer! 

Fuji HS50EXR, but when I'm in Pattaya next I'm going to dig out my old Nokia N8 phone and use that for the majority of photos. I'm not a good photographer! 

I got a N8 that i carry around Pattaya and use for the quick pics in the bars ect . Great pics for a phone . 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Samsung WB150 for my last trip.

It's a pile of garbage stay well away from these, the smart auto takes bad pics, it some times won't focus and needs to be switched of and on again to sort it.

Dust has got in behind the lens.

No low battery warning it just switches off.

Video is dark

My old Canon Ixus is much better.

Still got my sony a200 for many many years, still works good enough for me. Going to bring it for the first time my next trip, I hope he can deal with the heat and the humidity.

But I am in doubt about the lenses I will bring. Probably the 18-200 mm and 50mm, but my favorite lens 70-200 2.8 is maybe a bit heavy and expensive to walk around with for 2 months. Still have a month to decide.

Last trips used mostly my phone, good enough to take a picture from a girl of some food. Next trip I want to be able to do more

Edited by csxtr

Definitely bring the 50 for A200, Try to get your hands on a Sony/Tamron/Sigma 24/28-70/75 as a walk around. When I had my A700 my favorite combo was 11-18 for wide shots, Sigma 50/1.4 for low light/walk around and Sony 28-75/2.8SAM for walk around. I also had a Sigma 120-400 with a 1.4TC when I needed some serious reach. Other good walk around lenses for Sony are the Minolta 28-70G, Minolta (Tamron or Sigma) 16-35/2.8-4, Sony DT 18-135SAM, and Sony 35/1.8. I shoot FF A99.

Also get travelers insurance for you gear and record all of your serial numbers before you leave.

Edited by Munkyboogar

Definitely bring the 50 for A200, Try to get your hands on a Sony/Tamron/Sigma 24/28-70/75 as a walk around. When I had my A700 my favorite combo was 11-18 for wide shots, Sigma 50/1.4 for low light/walk around and Sony 28-75/2.8SAM for walk around. I also had a Sigma 120-400 with a 1.4TC when I needed some serious reach. Other good walk around lenses for Sony are the Minolta 28-70G, Minolta (Tamron or Sigma) 16-35/2.8-4, Sony DT 18-135SAM, and Sony 35/1.8. I shoot FF A99.

Also get travelers insurance for you gear and record all of your serial numbers before you leave.

Thanks for the advice! Especially the specific travel insurance and the record of serial numbers.

Im not really spending any more money on my gear, so the 18-200 will have to do for walking around lens (not top quality, but good enough for me).

I bought a Samsung WB150 for my last trip.

It's a pile of garbage stay well away from these, the smart auto takes bad pics, it some times won't focus and needs to be switched of and on again to sort it.

It's got pretty good reviews on Amazon, perhaps you should sell it if you don't like it. Putting it up on a site where it already has good reviews might let you get most of your money back.

Up to you, but why put up with a camera you don't like?

Sent from my too expensive Samsung tablet.

Canon 550D + 18-135mm lens

p.jpg

Canon 550D with 50mm f1.4 prime lens is great. This is my travel camera, cheap to replace if lost, stolen or damaged.

Recently purchased a full frame Canon 6D plus some new L prime lenses. 

I haven't been using system cameras since beginning of 2000s, but today I took the big step back on track and entered the DSLR world and bought a new Nikon D5300!

I found it in a small camera shop in Tuk.com  in South Pattaya for the very modest sum of 25900 baht, including a Nikkor 18-55mm lense and a 16 GB memory card and a bag.

The pricetag on the camera-kit in the shopwindow read 27900 baht, but the owner without hesitation went down to the price I payed when I asked him!

In all the bigger shops it goes for 29000-29990 baht, sometimes including a 4 GB memorycard and a bag.

In my home country Sweden it starts at appr. 36500 baht for the same kit!

SAM_1960.JPG

The name of the shop were I bought it was "Best Camera" 3rd floor, and the low price was because the seller doesn't give VAT refund like the bigger shops, so he sells the cameras without the added VAT instead.

He seems to be doing a brisk business!

It comes with a Thai warranty for the body and a International warranty for the lense, but that doesn't bother me as I stay in Thailand 5 months a year.

The seller promised me if I had any problems with the camera within 7 days he would get me a new one as well! :rolleyes:

It saves you both time and hassle not having to wait to get the VAT first when you leave the country at the airport!

So I can recommend this shop!

I haven't used the camera yet, but will take it out for a first walk tomorrow.

Here's a link and a video showing some of it's specs:

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d5300/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LTq-SVPznA

Edited by plahgat

^ Howdy mate  :hello09:  ironically I've got the Nikon D5100 and made good use of it for the scenery and touristry stuff during my first trip BUT I'm planning to get something akin to your Samsung EX1 for next trip, as its more easy to carry around in bar and less intimidating for girls back in room maybe, and I'll worry less about it getting smashed or stolen due to it not having a DSLR size...

Then again, i'm considering just mastering the excellent D5100 and not giving a fuck, bringing it at any occasion weither in bars, Insomnia??? and why not maybe gogos (by putting the lens off to show it isn't currently recording anything)

Good choice of camera lots to learn with it, excellent photo quality :ThumbUp6:

^ Howdy mate  :hello09:  ironically I've got the Nikon D5100 and made good use of it for the scenery and touristry stuff during my first trip BUT I'm planning to get something akin to your Samsung EX1 for next trip, as its more easy to carry around in bar and less intimidating for girls back in room maybe, and I'll worry less about it getting smashed or stolen due to it not having a DSLR size...

Then again, i'm considering just mastering the excellent D5100 and not giving a fuck, bringing it at any occasion weither in bars, insomnia??? and why not maybe gogos (by putting the lens off to show it isn't currently recording anything)

Good choice of camera lots to learn with it, excellent photo quality :ThumbUp6:

I will still use my Samsung EX1 for my night shots, because it is a great little camera in low light especially.

Easy to carry and don't stir up too much attention.

I bought the DSLR to use mainly back home.

I will give it a test round today, must buy a bigger memorycard first, probably a 64 GB is more useful, especially if you are filming with the video function the big files fills up a 16 GB card very fast! :rolleyes:

Plahgat

...must buy a bigger memorycard first, probably a 64 GB is more useful, especially if you are filming with the video function the big files fills up a 16 GB card very fast! :rolleyes:

Plahgat

Obviously I am not commenting on the case where you need a large card if you want to shoot a long video sequence in one go or not want to change cards. It is better to get a few smaller cards than one larger one. The reason is that if the large one corrupts you stand to loose everything. Memory cards are quite cheap if you buy them on the internet (eg Fleebay).

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

What he said. Best to have 3 or more memory card so you can have one dedicated to touristry stuff to show family and airport security check maybe back home, then one dedicated to the sexy ;)

I made 5 HDMI 1080p videos on my D5100 with a 16Gb I think there is a 20 min limit on video length regardless of sd card size. And still has place for photos.

At night yes I tend to use my smartphone, trying to change that and use the DSLR maybe in night mode or with lot of flash

I have an old Olympic, but currently use my phone Nokia Lumia 920...,

-multitude of functionality

-HD video, 1200p

-very easy to carry in your pocket

at least for me the last is very impotant...