IGNORED

what is your camera

mmm606

As an ardent photographer I have lots of DSLR gear but I no longer take it to Thailand. I am now a senior citizen and the weight had become irksome in the heat and humidity. Besides I no longer wanted to go -walk-about with up to £2,000 of gear around my neck.

My preferred travel camera is now a Canon Powershot S90. This as many of you will know is the model Alleycat uses for his always excellent shots.

My interest is street photography, and I found the LCD on the S90 difficult to use in Thailands's bright sun. Having come across an article on the web, I decided to fit an accesssory shoe and an Helios optical viewfinder. The link is here for those interested:-

I fitted the shoe permanently with epoxy resin. The top plate of the camera is slightly convex and adhesive of a putty like nature is best to help with levelling and aiming the shoe, before the epoxy sets. To further facilitate the levelling I used a small bubble type spirit level and the epoxy I used was Rapid Steel Epoxy Weld.

The set-up works great and is just the job for quick shots. I find it more natural to use a camera at eye level and bracing against one's cheeks help with steadier shots. Camera shake is all too prevalent with P & S cameras held at reading distance.

Edited by john2028

I have just brought a Panasonic sz1. I will say that I am no photographer, and I know little about most of the settings! But this little camera has just amazed me so far! great images and shockingly impressive low light pics so far!

I think it was a great buy for 160 pounds!!!

Bill

Canon S95

iPhone 4S with a few apps (AutoStitch is addictive)

I'll post my results when I get back in at the end of the month.

Let met start by saying that while I have been paid as a pro photographer and videographer I don't consider myself a "photographer" in the sense of Adams, Leibovitz, Ray (I think that is a good mix). Most photography or maybe let us say, artistic photography is focused on Post (or post processing) So, while the camera is important, it isn't as important as lighting, subject, etc etc. Having said that... I use a Panasonic DMC-ZS20 which I just bought to replace my DMC-ZS7 (2 years older). I don't upgrade often but I did this time to get 1080p video (from 1080i) and better zoom. I first purchased the 7 because you could zoom while doing video (rare back then) and the lense. It is bigger than a point-click camera but still fits in my pocket. I'll be honest, I don't know why 99% of people even buy DSLR cameras anymore. Take my photog friend (the wedding and high-school picture professional friend). We were both in Isaan, where he lugged around 2 DSLR's one high-end from the year before and one which was this year's hotness with a fabulous lense. I challenged him with my zs7. I said, any setting auto or not on either of your cam. We will take 20ish shots where I will duplicate your shot (same subject, angle etc). then I'll put 10 matching pairs on your computer stripping out EXIF info and making them the same resolution so you can't cheat.... then you tell me which is from your $2k+ (us) setup and which from my $250 (us) cam. Generally these where LOS daylight shots, no flash/fill, and mostly flowers, buildings tuk tuk. etc. No post processing. 6 of 10 he picked as his, were actually mine.

Now, of course.... some night shot on a tripod, or some custom super high speed shot of an F1 car speeding by... sure. I bet you could easily tell the difference but for a regular pic that a regular person would take.... just use a higher end point and shoot style cam. It is easier to walk around, you don't look like a tourist, and easy to bring upstairs with you.

Geeze Even my HTC Titan 2 has a 16mp cam. kinda crappy in comparison to a high quality cam but some of the shots and video are amazing for a camera.

FYI, most of my cams have been Canon. I have had Nikon as well. Both excellent brands. I switch to Panasonic for the time being for the lense and certain features that were not available at the time with the other cams in the same style cam or price range.

I used to use DSLR's and quickly came to the conclusion that they are money pits that are completely unnecessary for 99.9% of consumer photography. Focus more on taking interesting pictures and less on the newest gear. My favorite camera is the pocketable Ricoh GRD III. Smaller is better.

My current rig when going to Thailand is:

Camera :

Canon EOS 5D Mark II

Lens:

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Sigma 24-70mm F2.8

Fisheye: EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye

2X - Extender EF 2x II

Memory SanDisk Extreme Pro CompactFlash 128GB Card

Flash Speedlite 580EX

Battery Grip Vello BG-C2 Battery Grip for Canon EOS 5D Mark II

Batteries

1 Canon LP-E6

3 Pearstone LP-E6

4 AA rechargeable batteries for flash

Accessories

Aquatech Sports Shield

Vello ShutterBoss Timer Remote

Lowepro Backpack Camera Bag

If you go to Hong Kong, you can get a good price on camera bodies and lens from Echo Photo because there is no tax, but the warranty may only be valid in Hong Kong.

Most everything else I buy from BH Photo, but even if you are at the store, it is best to have it shipped out of NY, to avoid the state tax.Most of the time their is free shipping once you spend a certain amount.

Make sure you get a high quality lens filter to protect you lens glass.

Edited by Candidographer

Most photography or maybe let us say, artistic photography is focused on Post (or post processing) So, while the camera is important, it isn't as important as lighting, subject, etc etc.

I agree, it is not the camera that takes the picture, it is the person operating the camera.

A person can take amazing pictures with a point and shoot.

I also agree, a lot can be done in post production to make an average picture look amazing.

Really surprised that you haven't put Pentax on that list.

I've had one since the 35mm film days in the 80's and three more since going digital (*ist, K10D & K7). Delighted with all of them and their best feature is the backwards-compatibility - one Tamron lens goes right back to my original Pentax.

• Like 1

DrDepravity is currently servicing this region:

My traveling companion for LOS is a Fujifilm X10 superb image quality good enough for my travel shots, I may add the X100 before my next trip in October.

For my studio work in the UK I currently use an old Nikon D2X and will soon use a D4 (when it finally arrives!) and pro glass 50mm 1.4G, 85mm 1.4G, 14-24G, 24-70G.

I have used Nikon for over 25 years and have never seen the need to change system due to the nature of my work, they are used as tools and they are good at what they do, but just too heavy to cart about when on holiday.

Oh and I use 4GB cards only the reason being I had a 64GB card in my old D3X and had finished a latex fashion shoot and lost all the images when the card corrupted! I was able to rescue a few but not all, so now as a matter of course I use 4GB.

Edited by Les_H

Fuji Finepix Z900EXR with CMOS sensor great for low light, very compact.

Were you shooting the MkII previously? If so what part of the Mk III do you find superior to the MkII? The reason being I want to get one of these really bad, but the MkIII is about 50,000 baht more expensive than the MkII here in Thailand. I heard that people like the improved AF in the MkIII as well as the in camera lens correction. Ken Rockwell claims he is getting pictures of equal quality shooting a MkIII with cheap Canon lenses as he was getting on the MKII with L series glass. I really hate it when new cameras come out! Too many decisions.

I was not shooting the Mark II previously, so I can't give you a fair assessment. I can say that the faster fps and the drastically improved AF system (same as 7D) are things to consider for sure. With my 70-200 L 2.8 II it's the fastest AF I've ever witnessed. If you can sell the Mark II for a good price then the Mark III might be worth it.

babydollsaddict.gif

I had a Sony hx9v last trip and loved the photos it took....until the last night when I dropped it!

This trip I am have joined the many other people and am trying out the Canon PS 100s.

People rave about this Cannon range so figured I should give it a go this time.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

DSC-HX7V sony cyber-shot, full HD movies and 3d sweep panorama 16.2 mega pixels, gps

Very impressed with the quality of the pics with this point and shoot, Picked it up for $200 AUS (last of floor stock)

Good for me i just set it in auto and shoot.

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/165739-5-days-in-issarn-udon-thani-loei-chiang-khan-mekong-pictorial-report/

You can take the monger out of the bar but you can never take the bar out of the monger

Canon S95 for $293US last December. Still only use jpeg but it's easy to carry, fully automatic, takes HD video and great low light pics.

Edited by likeaking

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

• 2 weeks later...

Canon 7D, canon 17-55mm 2.8 USM/IS,

I have the same as well as a Canon S95

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Got the Nikon D7000 , use with 50mm F1.4 , or 35mm F1.8 use with SB-400 or SB-600 Flash , Carry a Canon S95 at night.

• 1 month later...

Canon t2i, I'm still learning how to use. Just bought an 18-200 IS lens I'll be playing with soon..but most of the time-iphone 4...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is anyone using a Nikon P7100?

Have a friend who is a pro photographer using gear worth many thousands of $'s, but for most travelling he packs one of these, which is one of Nikon's cheapies with an integrated lens.

Have seen some of his results off the P7100 and much of it is right up there with the pix from his expensive stuff!

Is anyone using a Nikon P7100?

Have a friend who is a pro photographer using gear worth many thousands of $'s, but for most travelling he packs one of these, which is one of Nikon's cheapies with an integrated lens.

Have seen some of his results off the P7100 and much of it is right up there with the pix from his expensive stuff!

It's a higher end point and shoot. Similar to the Canon G12 and the Panasonic LX5. Good cameras.

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton

i have Cyber-shot™ TX10

it's good for travelling and it's waterproof

Canon 5D Mk2

Canon 7D

24-70 2.8

24-105 4.0

70-200 2.8 IS

300 2.8 (when situation warrants)

10-22 EFS

40 2.8 (video)

Protix wireless release (when I want to be in shot)

Gitzo 2541 tripod

Carry a Fuji X10 at night, or quick outings.