IGNORED

Review: Best and Worst Dinner in Pattaya

Gaggball

There never should have been a "potatogate" in the first place.

Can't believe a decent chef would serve that muck.

I agree. 

Totally unacceptable in a restaurant selling a "fine dining" experience. 

S&C should offer a free meal to all BM who where not happy with the "Instant Mash" as an apology for not admitting it earlier and letting them get bagged out here without intervening. 

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the gratin potatoes.lol.

They were excellent.

They were excellent.

So did I and thought they where better than Beefeaters...

So did I and thought they where better than Beefeaters...

yep.

I agree. 

Totally unacceptable in a restaurant selling a "fine dining" experience.

S&C is not selling fine dining

Just steak and burgers mainly hardly fine dining in my experience

They were excellent.

Well they could hardly try to pass off fake potato in that now could they?  :)

There are places selling burgers and steak for 99 baht. 

steak 3.jpg

Thats my idea of steak...lol.

But WHY would you go to Pattaya and eat steak?  I mean come on, I go to Thailand to eat Thai food.  ONLY thai food, never western food.

If you want a steak go to Kansas City (USA).

(sorry, had to be said...just was in the "russian girls" thread puking over all the "i go to thailand for thai girls only...couldnt resist)

Nice post, thanks for intel and photos.

Cheers Alex

100% right, we are a casual dinning. We will leave the fine dinning to Casa Pascal & Mantra's of this world, we tried to create a pleasant environment to enjoy a good steak with attentive service. 

attachicon.gifsteak 3.jpg

Thats my idea of steak...lol.

But WHY would you go to Pattaya and eat steak?  I mean come on, I go to Thailand to eat Thai food.  ONLY thai food, never western food.

If you want a steak go to Kansas City (USA).

(sorry, had to be said...just was in the "russian girls" thread puking over all the "i go to thailand for thai girls only...couldnt resist)

Nice post, thanks for intel and photos.

Cheers Alex

Alex, I don't know about you but eating a great steak is a "treat", when your on holiday you often feel like pushing the boat out a little more and why not ! You have worked all  year for a few week in the sun, do what ever you want and if that's a good steak then go for it, if its eating authentic Thai food everyday then so be it!

I do understand your point, indeed globally there are better places to enjoy "World Class Steaks" and I am sure those places are on some peoples bucket list. Our aim is to catering for people on holiday who want a pretty decent piece of beef at an affordable price & expats who prefer an option to Thai / French beef. 

Alex, I don't know about you but eating a great steak is a "treat", when your on holiday you often feel like pushing the boat out a little more and why not ! You have worked all  year for a few week in the sun, do what ever you want and if that's a good steak then go for it, if its eating authentic Thai food everyday then so be it!

I do understand your point, indeed globally there are better places to enjoy "World Class Steaks" and I am sure those places are on some peoples bucket list. Our aim is to catering for people on holiday who want a pretty decent piece of beef at an affordable price & expats who prefer an option to Thai / French beef.

Oh i get that...and love steak in Thailand too...lol.

My only point was I had just come out of a thread where guys were wondering why anyone would go to Thailand to enjoy a Russian lady...so I couldn't resist asking why anyone with this attitude (not implying the OP has it) would ever seek out a big juicy western style steak in Thailand, doesn't fit their logic.

Personally, as a lover of variety in both food and women, I will dine at all kinds of different places during my holiday in Thailand...and enjoy all kinds of different women as well.

Cheers, Alex

PS I have had more than one meal at China Garden and its a great spot!

On my next visit to Pattaya, i will visit all three again. And some new ones for:

- Steak

- Peppersauce

- Fries

I just love steaks, thats part of my vacation.

On my next visit to Pattaya, i will visit all three again. And some new ones for:

- Steak

- Peppersauce

- Fries

I just love steaks, thats part of my vacation.

Hey guys, not to steer this too far off course, but Im curious about something which I guess might be cultural.

I personally would never think of ordering french fries with steak.  A hamburger n fries sure, totally marriage in heaven.  

I have always thought of a steak as something upscale, special, or a "treat"...deserving of an equally special starch...a whipped/mashed potato (with truffle oil, garlic, butter, cream, etc) piped onto the plate in an artful way....or a baked/baked-stuffed potato topped with sour cream and chives...or as some of you have said, au gratin potatoes.  

Again, no judgements here, to each their own...just curious.

Cheers, Alex 

We used real potatoes when we first opened then changed to rehydrated mashed potato, after "Potatogate" and the stream of feedback we changed back to real potatoes in March. There may have been occasions in-between when the rehydrated mash was unavailable, it was nothing at all to do with cost.

From now on we will only be using real potatoes ... thats a promise!  I bought Chef a "Mouli" with a 1mm sieve to ensure no lumps :GoldenSmile1:   

again , thanks for your answer . 

however , i would like to point out that , even though i am a supporter of steak & co . , i am very disappointed because in the months before you opened the restaurant, you advertised the coming of the best restaurant   to hit pattaya . you were in my opinion very successful in this market strategy but it looks like you overplayed the intended .  and now it seems that you spent the last six months serving rehydrated .......... 

i feel cheated in a way as i didnt think that i was buying into that type of experience . 

that said , could you please answer two questions , 

1, why did you serve rehydrated potatoes ?

2, what did/does the scottish chef think of serving it with the steaks that he did cook to perfection ??

Anyway , thanks for reading and i hope you reply ! . i will return again in a few months and will spend another evening in the restaurant .  :hello09:  :hello09:  :hello09:

Hey guys, not to steer this too far off course, but Im curious about something which I guess might be cultural.

I personally would never think of ordering french fries with steak.  A hamburger n fries sure, totally marriage in heaven.  

I have always thought of a steak as something upscale, special, or a "treat"...deserving of an equally special starch...a whipped/mashed potato (with truffle oil, garlic, butter, cream, etc) piped onto the plate in an artful way....or a baked/baked-stuffed potato topped with sour cream and chives...or as some of you have said, au gratin potatoes.  

Again, no judgements here, to each their own...just curious.

Cheers, Alex

Certainly, in the UK, a steak is almost always paired with chips (as in fries). Maybe its our posh 'fish & chips' ??

Mashed potato is for babies and folk with no teeth.

Certainly, in the UK, a steak is almost always paired with chips (as in fries). Maybe its our posh 'fish & chips' ??

Same in Ireland.

Always with chips. Can get mash if you want though.

Real mash not wallpaper paste 555

Same in Ireland.

Always with chips. Can get mash if you want though.

Real mash not wallpaper paste 555

Why do Brits serve mash along side roast potatoes with a Sunday roast?  It is wrong on so many levels!... :GoldenSmile1:

Why do Brits serve mash along side roast potatoes with a Sunday roast? It is wrong on so many levels!... :GoldenSmile1:

Never seen that,can't do potatoes and potatoes

I ate at S&C once, soon after it opened. The steak was good, very good. The rest of the meal was on a very different level. It was obviously a failure by whoever was in charge of making sure that every food item sent out of the kitchen was good. I have no plans to return.

I pass by Beefeater, and it's full. I pass by S&C and it's not. I think the reason is in the paragraph above.

There are places selling burgers and steak for 99 baht.

So what

Your point being?

100% right, we are a casual dinning. We will leave the fine dinning to Casa Pascal & Mantra's of this world, we tried to create a pleasant environment to enjoy a good steak with attentive service.

A fine job you are doing

Your steaks and burgers are up there with the best in Patts in my opinion

Not tryed any other items on the menu

But eaten burgers and steaks many times at S&C

The only aside I have are with the sides which come with the steaks and burgers

You need to sit down with your head chef and taste test all the sides and do a review

The sides really let down your steaks

++ The wedges which come with the burgers are never cooked correctly

Either to greasy or not cooked enough

again , thanks for your answer . 

however , i would like to point out that , even though i am a supporter of steak & co . , i am very disappointed because in the months before you opened the restaurant, you advertised the coming of the best restaurant   to hit pattaya . you were in my opinion very successful in this market strategy but it looks like you overplayed the intended .  and now it seems that you spent the last six months serving rehydrated .......... 

i feel cheated in a way as i didnt think that i was buying into that type of experience . 

that said , could you please answer two questions , 

1, why did you serve rehydrated potatoes ?

2, what did/does the scottish chef think of serving it with the steaks that he did cook to perfection ??

Anyway , thanks for reading and i hope you reply ! . i will return again in a few months and will spend another evening in the restaurant .  :hello09:  :hello09:  :hello09:

The answer to 1 & 2 is pretty much the same, Chef Gerry felt the potatoes available in Thailand were too "inconsistent" and therefore he suggested using high quality "potato pearls", many customers never had a problem with the rehydrated pearls. If a customer didn't like the potato pearls we would offer mashed potato made from our baked potatoes which we always have on hand but this was rarely the case.

A fine job you are doing

Your steaks and burgers are up there with the best in Patts in my opinion

Not tryed any other items on the menu

But eaten burgers and steaks many times at S&C

The only aside I have are with the sides which come with the steaks and burgers

You need to sit down with your head chef and taste test all the sides and do a review

The sides really let down your steaks

++ The wedges which come with the burgers are never cooked correctly

Either to greasy or not cooked enough

I will review the side orders with Chef Gerry after Songkran, thanks for your feedback on the Steak & Burgers

I ate at S&C once, soon after it opened. The steak was good, very good. The rest of the meal was on a very different level. It was obviously a failure by whoever was in charge of making sure that every food item sent out of the kitchen was good. I have no plans to return.

I pass by Beefeater, and it's full. I pass by S&C and it's not. I think the reason is in the paragraph above.

Beefeater is a good restaurant, they have been open 10 years and we have been open 8 months, perhaps a comparison is fairer after a couple of years of us being established ? 

I think the original poster of this thread was 

"During my vacation, i had dinner at Steak & Co 3 times. I went here because of the thread here at PA about them. I just wanted to check them out. And it is just a short walk (3-5minutes) from LK Metro.

Dinnertime. Very good. My steaks was great. And i had dinner here 3 times during my vacation" 

I don't want to hijack this thread any longer ... I hope the reviews of all three restaurant continue to be posted.

Thank you

Archived