Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Review: Best and Worst Dinner in Pattaya

Gaggball

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank god for ignore.

Hopefully it's both birds with one stone.

Lol.Sorry.

You won't be able to stand it.

It is hard to review a Pattaya steakhouse if you have never been to Pattaya.

Apparently it isn't.

Well unlike Alan H. Ass I have been to Pattaya, and will review a steakhouse.

Tonight was my first visit to Patrick's in the Soi Diana arcade opposite Beefeater. I arrived at 6.30 and chose to sit inside as it was mighty hot even at that hour. On my arrival I was the only person inside, with an outside table already occupied. Others diners arrived during my meal. The aircon was not very efficient, and a later arrival complained and asked if there was a problem with the aircon.

Service was obviously prompt, as there were at least 4 wait people with nothing to do, and Patrick himself overseeing them. Drink order taken first. Patrick came and made a suggestion of the NZ ribeye 250g steak as being a good quality popular choice, which was what I was going to choose anyway, as the price of 630 baht was ballpark to the 645 baht I paid for a similar dish at Steak & Co. The Aussie black Angus which S&C offers was priced higher in the 800-900 baht range at Patrick's.

My order was 250g NZ ribeye medium rare with blue cheese sauce and sautéed potatoes, with a coke zero to drink.

The free starter is a bowl of shrimp crackers which were average at best. Anybody complaining about the free bread at S&C would have a field day with this.

image.jpg

The meal arrived promptly and presentation was good. As you an see in the pic the sauce and side are presented separately, and there is also a small complementary side salad which I enjoyed.

image.jpg

The steak was a good portion and cooked correctly. However I thought there was a lack of seasoning, and the char taste was nowhere near as appetising as S&C. Also the steak was tougher and slightly drier than what I have had at S&C. I would have been happy with it had I cooked it at home, but I was not really happy paying 630 baht for it. Also the steak wasn't properly rested, and I ended up with a plate full of juices that mingled with my blue cheese sauce to created an unpleasant pink gunk, see photos.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The blue cheese sauce was a good consistency but a bit subtle on the blue cheese flavour. I used all the sauce to add some flavour to the meat.

The sautéed potatoes again lacked seasoning or any flair. The tasted similar to the sautéed potatoes you would find on a run of the mill buffet.

My total bill was 690 baht including the 60 baht coke.

I really wanted to enjoy the meal, but it was only so so, and I would not rush back or recommend it. I only eat steak in Thailand 2-3 times a year so don't mind spending a bit extra, but this didn't hit the spot like S&C has the last couple of times I have been.

I don't think I am being unduly harsh, and I honestly believe if this meal had been served at S&C then it would have been torn to shreds by many of the expert reviewers on PA.

Because references have been made to U.S. steak houses, here's a pic from a traditional dinner at Peter Luger Steak House in NYC, one of the most famous and widely imitated restaurants in the country. Note: These are NOT my pics; I downloaded them from a Web site, but I can't remember which one.

get-a-look-at-that-spread-(1).jpg

USDA prime Porterhouse steak; tomato and onion salad; thick-cut slab bacon;creamed spinach; steak fries and bread. The freshly baked bread is fantastic.

theres-not-a-lot-on-the-menu.jpg

cant-forget-sides--the-fries-are-thick-cut-and-delicious.jpg

Alex the Hedonist may have overstated his case when he said most U.S. steak houses don't offer French fries. Most do offer a type of deep-fried potato, but it's a far cry from McDonald's or crinkle-cut fried. They are thicker and closer to British chips than what we usually associate with U.S.-style fries.

Peter Luger serves the best bacon I've ever tasted.

but-wall-streeters-got-wind-of-it-and-started-asking-for-it-finally-management-put-it-on-the-menu.jpg

this-bacon-never-used-to-be-on-the-menu-it-was-a-staff-secret-treat.jpg

And the star of show, a Porterhouse "double," big enough to feed two people:

doubles-because-its-a-porterhouse-cut-which-includes-filet-mignon-and-new-york-strip.jpg

A steak like this costs US $72, or 2.340 baht. A steak for one person would run about $40 (1,300 baht). With sides and no alcohol, a dinner for two will run $100 to $120. Depending on whether you order wine, it can get much more expensive.

this-is-what-is-called-a-tray-of-doubles-the-whole-cut-is-a-short-loin.jpg

The staff at Peter Luger does have a bit of a "soup Nazi" rep. You would probably be laughed at if you asked for gravy, wanted your steak well-done or put sauce on the steak rather than the bacon, vegetables or fries.

and-then-theres-dessert.jpg

If you still have room after such a huge meal, the hot-fudge sundae is another American classic.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Tonight was my first visit to Patrick's in the Soi Diana arcade opposite Beefeater. I arrived at 6.30 and chose to sit inside as it was mighty hot even at that hour. On my arrival I was the only person inside, with an outside table already occupied. Others diners arrived during my meal. The aircon was not very efficient, and a later arrival complained and asked if there was a problem with the aircon.

Service was obviously prompt, as there were at least 4 wait people with nothing to do, and Patrick himself overseeing them. Drink order taken first. Patrick came and made a suggestion of the NZ ribeye 250g steak as being a good quality popular choice, which was what I was going to choose anyway, as the price of 630 baht was ballpark to the 645 baht I paid for a similar dish at Steak & Co. The Aussie black Angus which S&C offers was priced higher in the 800-900 baht range at Patrick's.

My order was 250g NZ ribeye medium rare with blue cheese sauce and sautéed potatoes, with a coke zero to drink.

The free starter is a bowl of shrimp crackers which were average at best. Anybody complaining about the free bread at S&C would have a field day with this.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The meal arrived promptly and presentation was good. As you an see in the pic the sauce and side are presented separately, and there is also a small complementary side salad which I enjoyed.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The steak was a good portion and cooked correctly. However I thought there was a lack of seasoning, and the char taste was nowhere near as appetising as S&C. Also the steak was tougher and slightly drier than what I have had at S&C. I would have been happy with it had I cooked it at home, but I was not really happy paying 630 baht for it. Also the steak wasn't properly rested, and I ended up with a plate full of juices that mingled with my blue cheese sauce to created an unpleasant pink gunk, see photos.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The blue cheese sauce was a good consistency but a bit subtle on the blue cheese flavour. I used all the sauce to add some flavour to the meat.

The sautéed potatoes again lacked seasoning or any flair. The tasted similar to the sautéed potatoes you would find on a run of the mill buffet.

I really wanted to enjoy the meal, but it was only so so, and I would not rush back or recommend it. I only eat steak in Thailand 2-3 times a year so don't mind spending a bit extra, but this didn't hit the spot like S&C has the last couple of times I have been.

I don't think I am being unduly harsh, and I honestly believe if this meal had been served at S&C then it would have been torn to shreds by many of the expert reviewers on PA.

What are your thoughts, on my theory that the steaks are frozen?  Mind you I was there first up for lunch and I don't think the steak had time to properly thaw.

What are your thoughts, on my theory that the steaks are frozen?  Mind you I was there first up for lunch and I don't think the steak had time to properly thaw.

I thought your frozen steak theory was Beefeater? The steak at Patrick's could very well have been frozen but I am no expert. All I know is at the same price point it was not a patch on the steak at S&C. Haven't been to Beefeater for over a year so may have to revisit for comparison.

I thought your frozen steak theory was beefeater? The steak at Patrick's could very well have been frozen but I am no expert. All I know is at the same price point it was not a patch on the steak at S&C. Haven't been to Beefeater for over a year so may have to revisit for comparison.

Apologies Thomo!  You are correct!...

And again someone that has no clue saying things they have no clue about.

You don't know me so only a clueless person would make a statement like that.

Anyone with sense would know I have been there many times and probably more than most.

Apparently it isn't.[/quote

I missed you mate.

I know you love me really.

You also know I have been to Pattaya.

It's funny though that every time someone tries to bring the thread back to topic you and 2 or 3 others always come back to me.

Even when I am not here.

Think about that for a minute.

<3

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Well just to keep you happy and because I actually do believe in fairness where reviews are concerned,

That looks like a bloodbath in a snowstorm.

Resting a steak is basic commis chef knowledge and that was not acceptable for a so called good restaurant.

Seasoning is subjective, I like a lot but others like to add it themselves after cooking.

So I will reserve judgement until I read more reviews on seasoning.

Shrimp crackers zzzzzzzzz boring it's not a Chinese takeaway.

All in all it looks like a 4 out of 10

Apparently it isn't.[/quote

I missed you mate.

I know you love me really.

You also know I have been to Pattaya.

It's funny though that every time someone tries to bring the thread back to topic you and 2 or 3 others always come back to me.

Even when I am not here.

Think about that for a minute.

<3

Alan, it's not about you.

You've made your 'point' about the mash (rrepeatedly). If you've got nothing more to contribute to the topic why not just sit this one out?

ame="alanhass" post="3089229" timestamp="1429776033"]

You've made your 'point' about the mash (rrepeatedly). If you've got nothing more to contribute to the topic why not just sit this one out?

See

There u go again.

Every time that topic is dropped someone starts it again.

Remember I wasn't the one that started on about it.

Nor it appears am I the last to mention it.

My later comments are nothing to do with mash.

Please try to keep up.

ame="alanhass" post="3089229" timestamp="1429776033"]

I wish he would start his own steak and potato thread and stop thread fucking others!  

Well just to keep you happy and because I actually do believe in fairness where reviews are concerned,

That looks like a bloodbath in a snowstorm.

Resting a steak is basic commis chef knowledge and that was not acceptable for a so called good restaurant.

Seasoning is subjective, I like a lot but others like to add it themselves after cooking.

So I will reserve judgement until I read more reviews on seasoning.

Shrimp crackers zzzzzzzzz boring it's not a Chinese takeaway.

All in all it looks like a 4 out of 10

Lol

You will reserve judgement ?

Frigging hell do bears shit in the woods?

I wish he would start his own steak and potato thread and stop thread fucking others!

And again with the beating a dead donkey.

Seems you guys are the only ones that keep droning on and on.

Pot kettle black anyone?

Lol

You will reserve judgement ?

Frigging hell do bears shit in the woods?

Sorry was that an attempt at quoting?

Or did u just like my comment so much u just had to repeat it ;)

He could start a thread on the best spuds I have never eaten at the restaurants I have never been to thread lol

Sorry was that an attempt at quoting?

Or did u just like my comment so much u just had to repeat it ;)

Shouldn't you be getting ready to go to work?

For your pot washing shift

Hurry up or you will be late

Shouldn't you be getting ready to go to work?

For your pot washing shift

Hurry up or you will be late

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

He could start a thread on the best spuds I have never eaten at the restaurants I have never been to thread lol

Wouldn't matter what the thread was.

You and two others would still fuck it,

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Wouldn't matter what the thread was.

You and two others would still fuck it,

Says the biggest thread fucker of them all.

Archived