IGNORED

Jolly Friar

Still not bad value though for the meal.

Just back from the local M&S food store and a ready meal of cod n chips was £2 and if you want haddock n chips £2.29.

So not too bad to have it cooked for you and then served and dine in an air-con restaurant there.

The CC brigade will have to accept that prices are going up in Thailand and worldwide and your not going to get cheap farang food for much longer.

Still think the bottle water is steep though? :hello09:

Comparing the price with that back in UK is difficult and I certainly wouldn't compare it to those ready meals.

We're talking about over 5 quid for Cod & Chips at JF which is roughly what I would pay for the best I know as a take away, so that sounds OK.

The most I remember paying for sit down was 12 quid, at The George at Stamford and at Heathrow, so the JF sounds good on that basis (though it isn't in the same league as The George).

The trouble is that we're in Thailand and there are lots of much cheaper good quality alternatives, even of Western food.

If one is really being a CC then Fish & Chips of a sort (Dory) is also available cheaply all over the place.

I think at Seaside Restaurant, Fish & Chips & Peas & Salad & Water is about 165 Baht, only I don't really like Dory.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the Seaside restaurant down soi 7 or on soi "Chava- Chayapoom" as theres 2 of them??

I think you have to compare between UK and Thai prices so you can weigh up the prices against value for money in a sit down restaurant and most guys I know will always compare it to back home, plus locally say the Pig n Whistle and Gooses which are offering the same meals.

Will try the JF when am back over again but for now will enjoy M&S ready meals and their fish cakes are excellent too, cod, haddock and smoked haddock etc.... so will be trying JF fishcakes too.

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

yea our fish cakes rock thats what i eat all the time ...... they are massive ... cod and salmon... i must admit i miss haddock never seen it here ... if i got some i could smoke in the lonestars rib smoker ummmm smoked haddock ......

Life begins at 40 ...

This is the Seaside restaurant down soi 7 or on soi "Chava- Chayapoom" as theres 2 of them??

I think you have to compare between UK and Thai prices so you can weigh up the prices against value for money in a sit down restaurant and most guys I know will always compare it to back home, plus locally say the Pig n Whistle and Gooses which are offering the same meals.

Will try the JF when am back over again but for now will enjoy M&S ready meals and their fish cakes are excellent too, cod, haddock and smoked haddock etc.... so will be trying JF fishcakes too.

Definitely Seaside Soi 7. The other one is about 10 baht per meal cheaper - Soi Buakhao pricing - but not same same at all.

Pig & Whistle does not offer Cod, it's Dory in concrete batter (I suspect pre-fried) with frozen chips & mushy peas.

I think it's about 199 Baht as a Friday special, which is reasonable value, but anyone who thinks that's good quality F & C doesn't understand what I'm talking about or has been brought up on ready meals lol.

Gooses is confusing because it was on a par with JF at first, but the owner, despite sitting there every night, appeared to lose interest very quickly.

If you saw what fish cakes are made from you might not be so keen, but then the same applies to sausages.

we make our own fish cakes .. made from cod and mash and fresh parsley .. and i have seen them made so that why i eat them !

Life begins at 40 ...

Does the Jolly Friar website belong to the old owner or are you just taking your time updating all the prices. Love Jolly Friar, but would like to have an accurate website to order my food beforehand.

Went to Devonshire on Friday for the fish and chip special, 179฿ which is a sharp rise from the 129฿ when it was le Kati, anyway the batter was just great, light, cooked to a tee, not burnt as many places are guilty of...But the let down was the Dory fish inside the batter...Shame..at this price could they not use cod? Maybe it's me but can't get to liking this Dory fish

Definitely Seaside Soi 7. The other one is about 10 baht per meal cheaper - Soi Buakhao pricing - but not same same at all.

Pig & Whistle does not offer Cod, it's Dory in concrete batter (I suspect pre-fried) with frozen chips & mushy peas.

I think it's about 199 Baht as a Friday special, which is reasonable value, but anyone who thinks that's good quality F & C doesn't understand what I'm talking about or has been brought up on ready meals lol.

Gooses is confusing because it was on a par with JF at first, but the owner, despite sitting there every night, appeared to lose interest very quickly.

If you saw what fish cakes are made from you might not be so keen, but then the same applies to sausages.

I like the occasional F & Cs from the local chippy but at £5 for a bland serving it doesnt excite me, I often prefer a healthier M&S meal as the fish is in breadcrumbs and at half the price too!!!

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

Went to Devonshire on Friday for the fish and chip special, 179฿ which is a sharp rise from the 129฿ when it was le Kati, anyway the batter was just great, light, cooked to a tee, not burnt as many places are guilty of...But the let down was the Dory fish inside the batter...Shame..at this price could they not use cod? Maybe it's me but can't get to liking this Dory fish

cod costs about 120 a serving so no i can not for that price sorry ....

Life begins at 40 ...

I ordered Haddock and chips as a take away from here last week. When I got to my room I found the thin layer of batter had been over cooked and was dark brown not golden coloured :( as I was starving I started to eat it and the fish was fine until I started to find 4cm (1 1/2 inch) bones in it. I took it back and got a full refund but I was not feeling so Jolly after my experience.

I ordered Haddock...............................

Don't recall ever seeing Haddock on the Menu at JF. Is that new?

Goose's used to offer it but it was about 400 Baht and dry as a bit of old carpet.

Does the Jolly Friar website belong to the old owner or are you just taking your time updating all the prices. Love Jolly Friar, but would like to have an accurate website to order my food beforehand.

The website was transfered to the new owners. Cheers, Ian

yea our fish cakes rock thats what i eat all the time ...... they are massive ... cod and salmon... i must admit i miss haddock never seen it here ... if i got some i could smoke in the lonestars rib smoker ummmm smoked haddock ......

Haddock is probably best cold smoked under 80 degrees but you could try them in the Lone Star's smoker... low and slow !

Just been to the best Fish n Chip shop in Thailand, located on Suk Soi 23 opposite Bradley's Bar. I had a battered beefburger, large Cumberland sausage, large portion of traditional chips & 2 thickly buttered large slices of bread; total damage 210B!

They have a small adjoining bar next door too so I sampled a few pints of Mangner's Cider which I haven't drunk in years so went down well.

The owner is a very nice old gent from Yorkshire. :hello09:

sgu_banner.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Don't recall ever seeing Haddock on the Menu at JF. Is that new?

Goose's used to offer it but it was about 400 Baht and dry as a bit of old carpet.

Sorry you are right it was Halibut not Haddock.

............................... are you for real edge ?

if i had more tight fuckers like you in my restaurants i to would also be scratching round the whole of Pattaya for a cheap meal

i hear u can get fried rice and water at 7-11 for around 40b and you get a free Spoon !!!!!!!!!

I hadn't been in since you posted this shite but I went in tonight.

I ordered Cod & Chips & Tea = 305 Baht.

"Cod finished" the waitress said.

"OK - :Bye5: :Bye5: "

Only one other customer.

Not "rammed" and no Russians. :Think1:

Miss you Ian.

I hadn't been in since you posted this shite but I went in tonight.

I ordered Cod & Chips & Tea = 305 Baht.

"Cod finished" the waitress said.

"OK - :Bye5: :Bye5: "

Only one other customer.

Not "rammed" and no Russians. :Think1:

Miss you Ian.

Ooops hope this was just a one-off as the JF was always busy and more consistent then other rests in town and my usuall place for my friday night meal.

• 2 weeks later...

Tim

Its quite funny that I ate a lot in The Jolly Friar last winter (and intend to do this winter)

And I have never seen a Russian in the place.

But I did see loads of Thais, and I am not talking about BG's being dragged in.

I am talking about Thai couples and sometimes families all enjoying plates of Fish and Chips.

I would have been tempted to add Thai script to my sign in place of the Russian.

I ate there lots of times. Very nice. WOW I want fish 'n chips now. One Flake please with french fries medium and one (make it two) Sprite! :D

I was paying around 240-260 for these usually.

Ooops hope this was just a one-off as the JF was always busy and more consistent then other rests in town and my usuall place for my friday night meal.

It is low season though,, curry and chips last night,, lovely,,, I have seen a few russians in there in the afternoons,,, number 1 chippy in pattaya,, thats my opinion though..

to be fare the ruskys are starting to come now .. we have a big hotel that caters for Russians at the end of the soi ...... i see 30-40 a day going past usally in fit little shorts with big white ass's :)

the like to eat mainly soups and they drink like fish's ... high season 20% of our business is Russian that's why we have a Russian menu and sign in all our restaurants .

Life begins at 40 ...

blimey sign of the times now in Patts as Russki couples everywhere now even in the sexpat stomping grounds of the "buakow triangle" area...soi diana, soi LK Metro and buakow.

They start havin beers at breakfast that lot and can be noisy and bolshi (excuse pun) as they dont speak much english!!

As long as they pay thats the important thing!!

Isnt their dishes boiled beef n cabbages n dumplings etc...??

Archived