Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Jolly Friar

in all our restaurants

What do you mean? You have more restaurants than the Jolly Friar that I know in soi Lengkee?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you mean? You have more restaurants than the Jolly Friar that I know in soi Lengkee?

we have the jolly friar lone star american restaurant next door and the Devonshire and the new Munchies

Life begins at 40 ...

Everytime I was passing outside Devonshire to go to Jolly Friar I was thinking eating there one day but never did it. Next time I will try. :)

Where is the "Munchies"? Is it a restaurant too?

I hadn't been in since you posted this shite but I went in tonight.

I ordered Cod & Chips & Tea = 305 Baht.

"Cod finished" the waitress said.

"OK - :Bye5: :Bye5: "

Only one other customer.

Not "rammed" and no Russians. :Think1:

Miss you Ian.

Tried again last night.

The Cod was back on, but it was tough as old boots - not good at all.

I can understand that there may be supply problems, but if that's all that's available I'd have been happier to be told "Cod finished" again.

Presentation remains excellent, but JF still not "rammed" and still no sign of the Russians coming. :SoWhat1:

Mushy peas up 5 Baht to 40 Baht, making Cod & Chips & Mushy Peas + Water now 335 Baht.

Tried again last night.

I can understand that there may be supply problems, but if that's all that's available I'd have been happier to be told "Cod finished" again.

Presentation remains excellent, but JF still not "rammed" and still no sign of the Russians coming. :SoWhat1:

Mushy peas up 5 Baht to 40 Baht, making Cod & Chips & Mushy Peas + Water now 335 Baht.

So the owner hasn't taken your advise and dropped the price of the chips and water down a little to get you back in the door a bit more often?

So the owner hasn't taken your advise and dropped the price of the chips and water down a little to get you back in the door a bit more often?

:LOL2:...................392393-004.jpg

Just been to the best Fish n Chip shop in Thailand, located on Suk Soi 23 opposite Bradley's Bar. I had a battered beefburger, large Cumberland sausage, large portion of traditional chips & 2 thickly buttered large slices of bread; total damage 210B!

They have a small adjoining bar next door too so I sampled a few pints of Mangner's Cider which I haven't drunk in years so went down well.

The owner is a very nice old gent from Yorkshire. :hello09:

You mean Patts or in BKK, offshore fish and chips? It's been there a while and is good. Actually, there's not a bad fish and chip place around the Khao San Road area believe it or not.

I think everyone here jumping all over Tim, maybe they like the previous owner so it's easy to just criticise when there is any kind of change

I think everyone here jumping all over Tim, maybe they like the previous owner so it's easy to just criticise when there is any kind of change

Can you be more specific?

I never knew Ian, but I did like the Jolly Friar a lot.

My criticisms are objective I believe?

I didn't really look at who posted what but as soon as this TIm chap starts posting in the summer about taking over there's a bunch of stuff moaning about price and portions and chips and what not.

No one likes their favourite things to change and I don't know if this stuff is warranted but there's a good couple of pages of moaning and nit-picking when he got defensive.

Yours may well have been valid, I remember something from you about chips which seemed a good point :D but didn't really see who wrote all the posts

I didn't really look at who posted what but as soon as this TIm chap starts posting in the summer about taking over there's a bunch of stuff moaning about price and portions and chips and what not.

No one likes their favourite things to change and I don't know if this stuff is warranted but there's a good couple of pages of moaning and nit-picking when he got defensive.

Yours may well have been valid, I remember something from you about chips which seemed a good point :D but didn't really see who wrote all the posts

There were criticisms, constructive and otherwise, long before that, but Ian dealt with them much more calmly and rationally.

This guy dealt with them differently - defensively...or aggressively more like, in an attempt to put them down.

It's a forum thread, not an advertisement and Ian sought feedback. I don't think Tim really wants any unless it's positive.

Increasing prices is his choice, but it's never going to be popular. Doing it by removing the small option of chips seemed sneaky that's all.

From my personal PoV I'm just pissed off because I used to enjoy going there regularly and now I don't.

For a F&C fix it's now back to Simon's at Jomtien for me.

I tried Golden Friar over there, but it seemed to be cloned with JF, right down to the Russian Menu & Sign.

For those who enjoy JF, that's great.

As I have said, the service and presentation are excellent.

There were criticisms, constructive and otherwise, long before that, but Ian dealt with them much more calmly and rationally.

This guy dealt with them differently - defensively...or aggressively more like, in an attempt to put them down.

It's a forum thread, not an advertisement and Ian sought feedback. I don't think Tim really wants any unless it's positive.

Increasing prices is his choice, but it's never going to be popular. Doing it by removing the small option of chips seemed sneaky that's all.

From my personal PoV I'm just pissed off because I used to enjoy going there regularly and now I don't.

For a F&C fix it's now back to Simon's at Jomtien for me.

I tried Golden Friar over there, but it seemed to be cloned with JF, right down to the Russian Menu & Sign.

For those who enjoy JF, that's great.

As I have said, the service and presentation are excellent.

The Golden Friar in Jomtien was originally called "Jolly Friar" as well and setup to be to be identical to the Jolly Friar in Pattaya, however once I sold the Pattaya branch of the Jolly Friar Mark owner of Jomtien branch decided it was better to re-brand to the "Golden Friar"

Tim had lots of new idea's which he had bought to the Jolly Friar were as the Golden Friar remained same as the "original Jolly Friar" i.e kept the 100 baht Fish & Chips etc. Mark does have a Russian menu but that's due to the fact 80% of his customers are Russian not a copying the Jolly Friars "updated menu", I would definitely suggest you give the Golden Friar a chance "if" you are in the area.

Best of luck to both businesses, the owners are both good guys.

Ian

Yeah, this Tim chap maybe could have handled some of the criticism a bit better. I am not sure he was prepared for the onslaught tbh :D

Yes to be fare I took over running a successful business in low season . And have

Struggled to make money plus open up Munchies . I know a fare few of the board members

And yes I like constructive comments and I can deal with complaints on here

But these board people seemed to love winding me up so I left them to it . I monitor the boards but try

Not to post as I don't seem to handle comments correctly :)

Take care

Tim

and please don't be to quick to slag off Munchies as I'm still working on menu the pizza is great mind u ! Doing any pizza for 220 ATM try it 6-3am

Life begins at 40 ...

Tried again last night.

Wind-ups (or not) aside, the above comment/complaint was serious.

It was a tough, chewy, old piece of fish.

Yes to be fare I took over running a successful business in low season . And have

Struggled to make money plus open up Munchies . I know a fare few of the board members

But these board people seemed to love winding me up so I left them to it . I monitor the boards but try

Not to post as I don't seem to handle comments correctly :)

Take care

Tim

and please don't be to quick to slag off Munchies as I'm still working on menu the pizza is great mind u ! Doing any pizza for 220 ATM try it 6-3am

Where is Munchies located???

Everytime I was passing outside Devonshire to go to Jolly Friar I was thinking eating there one day but never did it. Next time I will try. :)

Where is the "Munchies"? Is it a restaurant too?

Interested to know as well.

edge

for fuuck safe will you stop winding the poor guy up.................tell you what ..................tim ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,give edge and tilac a free night on the house and hopefully that will mend fences broken or otherwise :hello09:

edge.......if u agree to the proposal will you promise to give the meal (plus nice bottle of wine ) a fair hearing ?? :Think1:

tim ..........if this is settled when can you accommodate edge ? :GoldenSmile1:

edge.......As soon as possible will you give us a blow by blow account ( in a nice way ) :hello09:

tim/edge all is sorted then ! please let us know what night is agreed !!

:Bye5: :Bye5:

regards

guiness

Tim

Its quite funny that I ate a lot in The Jolly Friar last winter (and intend to do this winter)

And I have never seen a Russian in the place.

But I did see loads of Thais, and I am not talking about BG's being dragged in.

I am talking about Thai couples and sometimes families all enjoying plates of Fish and Chips.

I would have been tempted to add Thai script to my sign in place of the Russian.

Well Tim, I ate in the Jolly Friar this week for the first time since I got back in town.

Me and the TeeRak both had the Pork Chop dinner, and I have to say it was lovely.

We both agreed that the Chops you are serving are an improvement in what was being served last year.

Service was spot on, and the plates are coming out of the kitchen quicker than last year as well.

I did laugh at, as usual there was two Thai Girls in there eating, both were enjoying battered fish + rice + curry sauce ..... a combo I had never thought of before.

Nitpicks ..... the usual, Cold Plates, and Staff using two tables for their crap.

As its close to where I stay, you will have my trade again this winter.

edge

for fuuck safe will you stop winding the poor guy up.................

Whilst I have been known to wind people up occasionally :Whistle: as I've said before, Tim is like a Rolex watch - self winding.

Cracks about Russians etc apart, my reports within this thread about the food have always been my honest opinion.

Customers have different tastes and many think Dory is OK and that's what you mainly get all over town.

I eat it too and it's OK, but when I go for English style F&C I'm looking for Cod - well actually I'm looking for Haddock, but that's too expensive here.

The style of chips has been questioned, but I settled for the French Fries. The Wedges are OK and would go well with a pork chop and gravy I imagine.

JF is slightly expensive, but if you find the Dory acceptable then there is really little else to criticise - presentation, quality and service are usually good.

The way I see it, JF started off serving top quality Cod and other fish, which was imported from Norway and retailed by Makro.

For some reason Makro ceased to stock it and it's clearly been difficult to find a good reliable source ever since.

As a lifetime F&C addict and also for a while working in the UK wholesale fish industry, when I say that the Cod I was served this week was old and tough that is not a wind up.

The responses from Tim haven't always been nice and if that was my fault sobeit, but he had a go at others too.

No, I'm not looking for a free meal thanks and I don't have a "teerak". :GoldenSmile1:

Whilst I have been known to wind people up occasionally :Whistle: as I've said before, Tim is like a Rolex watch - self winding.

Cracks about Russians etc apart, my reports within this thread about the food have always been my honest opinion.

Customers have different tastes and many think Dory is OK and that's what you mainly get all over town.

I eat it too and it's OK, but when I go for English style F&C I'm looking for Cod - well actually I'm looking for Haddock, but that's too expensive here.

The style of chips has been questioned, but I settled for the French Fries. The Wedges are OK and would go well with a pork chop and gravy I imagine.

JF is slightly expensive, but if you find the Dory acceptable then there is really little else to criticise - presentation, quality and service are usually good.

The way I see it, JF started off serving top quality Cod and other fish, which was imported from Norway and retailed by Makro.

For some reason Makro ceased to stock it and it's clearly been difficult to find a good reliable source ever since.

As a lifetime F&C addict and also for a while working in the UK wholesale fish industry, when I say that the Cod I was served this week was old and tough that is not a wind up.

The responses from Tim haven't always been nice and if that was my fault sobeit, but he had a go at others too.

No, I'm not looking for a free meal thanks and I don't have a "teerak". :GoldenSmile1:

hi edge , perhaps you need a teerak to occupy your spare time , it might be better spent than winding !!!! BTW if you take up the offer on the meal you could auction it for charity, perhaps the orphanage, and request the highest bidder to give a fair review of the meal :Think1: :Think1: :Think1: :Think1: :Think1:

WHERE is TIM gone ??

guiness.

hi edge , perhaps you need a teerak to occupy your spare time , it might be better spent than winding.........................

Apparently it doesn't work for you.

It seems to me that you're the main (wannabe) wind up merchant in this thread lately.

On topic, I forget, have you eaten at Jolly Friar or not?

The pizza isn't bad at 220b, however, they seem to forget CHEESE is also an ingredient of pizza, obviously the most expensive part.... Overpowered with tomato

ipUTkd7VLymwJ.gif

The pizza isn't bad at 220b, however, they seem to forget CHEESE is also an ingredient of pizza, obviously the most expensive part.... Overpowered with tomato

Maybe best to stick with what they do best ie: fish and chips. :Think1:

Maybe best to stick with what they do best ie: fish and chips. :Think1:

I tried it today just out of interest, actually not too bad but nothing like a proper UK Chippy IMO.

Without being too critical I'd say the only thing keeping them popular/giving them a buzz - is location, lack of other venues selling same stuff, and the fact that Brits miss UK food when over here.

Soggy fish batter, soggy chips, few black dead potatoes, battered sausage needed to come with an axe to cut it.... Will I return, probably...

ipUTkd7VLymwJ.gif

Archived