IGNORED

Jolly Friar

what soi are you in,so i can try you,you dont give your address

Jolly Friar is on Soi Lengkee, just up on the right from the junction with BuaKhao and Soi Diana Inn.

BTW, I am under the impression that Ian has sold both the Jolly Friar and Lone Star next door.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes both the Lone Star and Jolly Friar are sold, we only own China Garden now in Pattaya.

Shame, I've enjoyed a number of meals at the Jolly Friar. Can I ask if the Jolly Friar was sold to a farang who knows something about fish and chips?

Shame, I've enjoyed a number of meals at the Jolly Friar. Can I ask if the Jolly Friar was sold to a farang who knows something about fish and chips?

Ahh i hope so too as was one of the few restaurants that was consistently good value for money and good service too in the area.

Keep it the same please!!

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

Ahh i hope so too as was one of the few restaurants that was consistently good value for money and good service too in the area.

Keep it the same please!!

I've no idea who the new owner is, but I've been there very recently and funnily enough I thought it was as good as it ever was.....maybe even better lol.

The Golden Friar at Jomtien is OK too - don't know who owns that now?

Yes both the Lone Star and Jolly Friar are sold, we only own China Garden now in Pattaya.

Any more projects in the pipeline?

Fantastic, you cannot ask more then that ! Cheers

100 Baht Fish & Chips is also back, we run a trail for a month and its back !! Enjoy.

Ian

Not anymore..... Some prices seem to be up. Chips/fries up from 40 to 60Baht. Is there a potato shortage to cause a 50% price increase?

No matter where you go, there you are....

Jolly Friar is spot on. Close to where i stay. But what a pisser when they dont have what you want. Excuses are no good, just poor restocking, sort it out mate and make us all happy. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I've no idea who the new owner is, but I've been there very recently and funnily enough I thought it was as good as it ever was.....maybe even better lol.

The Golden Friar at Jomtien is OK too - don't know who owns that now?

The new owner of the Jolly Friar is a Westerner and the cooks have not changed so thats good news!

Mark and Mai had the Jolly Friar in Jomtien and recently changed the name to the Golden Friar once I sold the Pattaya branch of the Jolly Friar, Mark and his wife Mai plan to expand the Golden Friar in 2013, I wish then all the best of luck!

Always popular the Jolly Friar. Whenever I walked past when i was staying at the China Garden it was always busy.

hello my Name is Tim i am part of the new team that has purchased the Jolly Friar , lonestar and The Devonshire (formally le katai on soi lengkey )

hopefully i can answer any of your questons regarding any of these business .and if you have any comments or suggestons i will try to answer those Also

Thanks Tim

Life begins at 40 ...

Comment edited and removed by myself.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

hello my Name is Tim i am part of the new team that has purchased the Jolly Friar , lonestar and The Devonshire (formally le katai on soi lengkey )

hopefully i can answer any of your questons regarding any of these business .and if you have any comments or suggestons i will try to answer those Also

Thanks Tim

Wow I was not aware that it had changed hands.

Unfortunately I have only ever had food poisoning once in Pattaya.

It was after eating an omelette at Devonshire on the morning before the Darkside crawl in June this year.

I know it could happen anywhere but sorry I can not risk eating there again and being this sick whilst on holiday again.

Wow I was not aware that it had changed hands.

Unfortunately I have only ever had food poisoning once in Pattaya.

It was after eating an omelette at Devonshire on the morning before the Darkside crawl in June this year.

I know it could happen anywhere but sorry I can not risk eating there again and being this sick whilst on holiday again.

sorry to hear that, but to be fair it could have been anything that gave you food poisoning . i have never once in the time i have been there had a complant like this . as our hygiene standards are secound to non . and any time any body wishs to inspect our kitchen or Any of our kitchens they are welcome to ....

Tim

Life begins at 40 ...

Thanks for the honest and level headed response Tim.

I wish you all the best in the new ventures.

The standard is always good in Lonestar and I am sure it will continue to be so under your management.

What is the Devonshire? Bar, hotel, cafe?

EDIT: no worries .. just seen you have another thread :)

Thanks Tim

As you're asking, 35 Baht is too much for water and ramping the price of my Norwegian Cod & chips up by 20 Baht by removing the option of a small portion of chips was downright sneaky.

Other than that, still the best F&C in Pattaya. :hello09:

Hello The Devonshire, Tim, I had the dory and some chips at the Jolly Friar. To be honest the chips had a strange flavor not the usual potatoe flavour im used to, and the dory while the beer batter was good and crispy the fish was very wet and mushy not firm and flaky like fish should be. Maybe the fish was frozen and not properly thawed out when placed in the fryer, not sure. It was not satisfying to me. I;m not complaining just trying to give you a heads up, if you can fix the problem I would be a customer again. Beachroadlover

Hello The Devonshire, Tim, I had the dory and some chips at the Jolly Friar. To be honest the chips had a strange flavor not the usual potatoe flavour im used to, and the dory while the beer batter was good and crispy the fish was very wet and mushy not firm and flaky like fish should be. Maybe the fish was frozen and not properly thawed out when placed in the fryer, not sure. It was not satisfying to me. I;m not complaining just trying to give you a heads up, if you can fix the problem I would be a customer again. Beachroadlover

If you had the wedges, then they're not to everyone's taste - tend to be over blanched and too sweet.

Try the French Fries instead.

As for Dory, well that is Dory and you get what you pay for.

If you want firm, flaky Brit' style fish you have to pay 200 Baht for the Norwegian Cod.

Dory is what most of the cheap option F&C places offer.

It is what it is.

When I used to buy it from Makro and cook it myself I tried thawing it and wringing out the water and then sticking two fillets on top of each other.

It has no texture or taste compared with Cod, let alone Haddock.

Exactly, Dory isn't much of much so can't complain too much about it

Exactly, Dory isn't much of much so can't complain too much about it

It's also 99 Baht - Oops it went up to 120 it seems - at JF with chips, so I don't know what people expect.

Other places like Pig & Whistle cover Dory in thick concrete batter and change much more for it, but some think that's OK, because it's filling.

Maybe it is OK if you don't know any better, but it ain't what I call F&C.

thanks for the comments yes dory is not the best of fish but for 120 bart in a aircon restaurant its not a expensive meal . as for the water at 35b its what it is to be fair . if you take into account the very small margin on some of our meals we Have to make money some where ..... i tried not to put the price of the chips up but when we did the costing on everything it never really added up ..... nobody likes to put up prices but the wholesalers dont care or the electric which went up 15% .. hopefully if we can run it in a good fashion the same way ian did people won't complain about a 20b rise on a already v Cheap meal .. where in the would can u get fish and chips in a aircon restaurant for £2.40 or $3 or 120b same meal in Singapore was 450b for dory and in uk a small cod and chips is 250b so give the small business man a break ... ill try to keep the standards high for your 120b

Tim

Life begins at 40 ...

thanks for the comments yes dory is not the best of fish but for 120 bart in a aircon restaurant its not a expensive meal . as for the water at 35b its what it is to be fair . if you take into account the very small margin on some of our meals we Have to make money some where ..... i tried not to put the price of the chips up but when we did the costing on everything it never really added up ..... nobody likes to put up prices but the wholesalers dont care or the electric which went up 15% .. hopefully if we can run it in a good fashion the same way ian did people won't complain about a 20b rise on a already v Cheap meal .. where in the would can u get fish and chips in a aircon restaurant for £2.40 or $3 or 120b same meal in Singapore was 450b for dory and in uk a small cod and chips is 250b so give the small business man a break ... ill try to keep the standards high for your 120b

Tim

I don't use the 120 Baht (doesn't it say 99 in your banner on here?) option, so that's not my issue.

I understood the price of the water was due to whoever used to own Katai having a cut of drinks revenue, but no matter.

One of my other favourites, Seaside Restaurant off Soi 7, can provide bottled water plus ice in a glass for 15 Baht, so 35 Baht will always aggravate me. 20 Baht is not a small difference at 48 Baht to the GBP.

Being a contrary cnut, when I was told I'd got to pay 20 Baht more for my chips, I simply didn't order the usual mushy peas to compensate and unfortunately the waitress only got a 5 Baht tip instead of the usual 15-20 Baht.

That's the way my cookie crumbles I'm afraid.

Being a contrary cnut, when I was told I'd got to pay 20 Baht more for my chips, I simply didn't order the usual mushy peas to compensate and unfortunately the waitress only got a 5 Baht tip instead of the usual 15-20 Baht.

what can i say to that ?

Life begins at 40 ...

You advertise your 140 baht breakfast at the Devonshire is the best in Pattaya

I had this breakfast this morning

I can advise 100% is bricky is not the best in Pattaya by along way

Archived