Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Jolly Friar

You advertise your 140 baht breakfast at the Devonshire is the best in Pattaya

I had this breakfast this morning

I can advise 100% is bricky is not the best in Pattaya by along way

this is the jolly Friar thread please pm why you think this i would like to know your thoughts so i can perhaps improve it

Life begins at 40 ...

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

are people always this direct on this board ? not sure im enjoying this board stuff might knock it .. seems the more i try to help and correct things the more people slag u off ... best not saying anything i rec ...... ian was right its a 2 edged knife !!!!

Life begins at 40 ...

are people always this direct on this board ? not sure im enjoying this board stuff might knock it .. seems the more i try to help and correct things the more people slag u off ... best not saying anything i rec ...... ian was right its a 2 edged knife !!!!

Ian seemed to cope OK.

Look back through the thread - nothing different really, but I doubt I'd do it myself. :Think1:

aye still it beats working 9 to 5 in shite cold England

Life begins at 40 ...

Hello Tim, I've never had Dory before, so if that's how it always is then nothing wrong on your end, but would not order aagain. When trying a new restaurant I spend little, if impressed I come back and become a regular customer. How do you explain the large cut fries, they should taste like potatoe but don't. I saw the Fish & Chips talked about on this site at 99 baht figured I give it a try. All I saw on the menu was small dory 60 baht and fries 60 baht I did not see the 99 baht, Waitress said you have to order seperately. What can I say I tried to give you some business as i live here now, But potatoes have to taste right and fish has be cooked properly. Beachroadlover

Hello Tim, I've never had Dory before, so if that's how it always is then nothing wrong on your end, but would not order aagain. When trying a new restaurant I spend little, if impressed I come back and become a regular customer. How do you explain the large cut fries, they should taste like potatoe but don't. I saw the Fish & Chips talked about on this site at 99 baht figured I give it a try. All I saw on the menu was small dory 60 baht and fries 60 baht I did not see the 99 baht, Waitress said you have to order seperately. What can I say I tried to give you some business as i live here now, But potatoes have to taste right and fish has be cooked properly. Beachroadlover

It is a fish & chip shop with real chips not those horrible little inedible things you get in Mcdonalds which don't taste of anything and are called fries. I had a large Dory and small chips the other day and thought both were excellent and will definitely be back again.

99 baht fish & chips is not available but cheapest would be as you say 120 baht.

.................................... How do you explain the large cut fries, they should taste like potatoe but don't.......................................

The answer we get is that the potatoes here are not the same, but I'm not entirely convinced, either because of potatoes I can buy at Tesco's, which make perfectly good chips, or because other places serve good chips made with real potatoes (the best being Seaside Restaurant Soi 7 IMO).

If I was Tim, I wouldn't be rushing to change much at all. He's already upped some prices in a price sensitive (AKA CC) area in low season and that won't help much.

One thing I would think about reviewing are those potato wedges.

Some seem to like them, but many do not. As potatoes they're OK, but they are just not traditional as in F&C.

Tim will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the wedges are blanched in water prior to frying, which greatly reduces waiting/cooking time when ordered

You can't really blanche chip size chips in water, because they'd get soggy and fall apart, hence the wedge size.

It could work OK, but generally they've been over blanched and then under (as in fat temperature) fried.

As a result they are often soggy inside and not crisp outside.

They are also a bit sweet, but the texture is the main problem IMO.

I am almost ashamed to say that I order the French Fries, but that's how much I don't like the wedges.

In the olden days, when we used to have mobile F&C vans round the villages, they had the same need for fast final cooking, so they mostly 'blanched' or part cooked their chips.

They were normal size chips, but the difference was that they blanched them in oil (or beef dripping yum yum) and then laid them out on greaseproof in stacked trays.

Many shops did the same thing and, if done correctly they are much better than chips fried all in one go.

Anyone bored yet? :hello09:

PS - For anyone stuck back in Blighty, these are among the best F&C in the world, if not the best - really.

Upton.JPG

yes the procedure is cut the chips put them in water for around 6 hours to remove the starch then part cook the chips in a low heat then take them out and put them in the fridge ready for cooking at a high temp ...

Life begins at 40 ...

yes the procedure is cut the chips put them in water for around 6 hours to remove the starch then part cook the chips in a low heat then take them out and put them in the fridge ready for cooking at a high temp ...

As I said, I wouldn't be rushing to change anything too soon, but I would definitely be experimenting with the chip/wedge process behind the scenes.

I'm sure you could do better.

Sorry, I know you're new to the JF, but I don't know if you're new to F&C?

this is the jolly Friar thread please pm why you think this i would like to know your thoughts so i can perhaps improve it

Can you advise why your bricky is the best in Pattaya?

As your advertising board is stating this as FACT

IN my opinion your140 baht brecky is not even in the top 30 best breakfast in pattaya

Best chips IMO in the UK are served from the chip stalls in Great Yarmouth market (they only sell chips nothing else) the spuds go through a chipper & then fried in dripping/lard straight away, fantastic

Best chips IMO in the UK are served from the chip stalls in Great Yarmouth market (they only sell chips nothing else) the spuds go through a chipper & then fried in dripping/lard straight away, fantastic

With the right potato and the right technique/equipment I'd agree there is no need for the extra process of blanching, other than for faster final cooking and service to order.

The traditional shops and places such as you're talking about rely on good steady demand i.e. a queue usually for best presentation of fresh F&C.

The job starts to go wrong if they cook too many and sit there with a great heap of chips in the warmer. In fact, if you're lucky, they'll re-fry enough for your order to crisp them up. Then you're effectively back to blanching.

The JF does very well at times, but the throughput isn't high enough to do it the old fashioned way.

I would stick with the idea of blanching, but what concerns me about the JF method is the 6 hour soak in water, followed by part cooking at low heat (in water or oil?).

I'm not familiar with the need to remove the starch, but given that the main problem is that they're soggy, I would question that part of the process.

Blanching IME, whether in water or oil, was at a high temperature, not low. At low temperature the sogginess is an issue once more.

If blanching (or part pre-cooking) is necessary to maintain fast service, then I'd start from scratch and try different ways to get the chips crisp and at a traditional size.

Cooking F&C isn't really that difficult, but it's amazing how many shops in UK can't get it right any more and more amazing still that people apparently put up with it.....or is that how MacDonalds got in?

sorry i will get the full info on how we do our chips of the cook later ..... as i said the cooks have been here since it opened and seem to be doing a great job !

Life begins at 40 ...

IN my opinion your140 baht brecky is not even in the top 30 best breakfast in pattaya

maybe it should read probably the Best breakfast :)

joss please private msg why u thought my breakfast was not on top form ? just making rash statements dont help any one. i sell between 20-50 of the 140b breakfast and no one complains just keep coming back to eat day in day out ! maybe sometime the eggs might not be cooked enough-to much ect .... so in your opinion what is the best breakfast in patts i will go and try it ... taking into account the 100 or 140 b price ??????

Life begins at 40 ...

....................... so in your opinion what is the best breakfast in patts i will go and try it ... taking into account the 100 or 140 b price ??????

Apparently it's at the Irish Rovers, but at 99 Baht that has to be a lost leader to get GH customers surely?

Having seen the advertisement on this site and this thread gained my interest. Some mixed reviews here, but being a sucker for a good fish-N-chip, will be there in a few days and add a fresh review. Hope they got plenty of cold Heineken!

If Jolly friar member is the proprietor, can you confirm beer selection?

Having seen the advertisement on this site and this thread gained my interest. Some mixed reviews here, but being a sucker for a good fish-N-chip, will be there in a few days and add a fresh review. Hope they got plenty of cold Heineken!

have plenty of cool heinekens unless ive drank them all

Life begins at 40 ...

Despite my (hopefully) constructive criticism, it is still by far the best F&C experience in town........IMO.

Despite my (hopefully) constructive criticism, it is still by far the best F&C experience in town........IMO.

thanks its not a bad meal for 120 baht for sure ... try the cod fish cakes they are to die for :) will get a pic of them later just like my local chippy did back in belper Derbyshire uk

Life begins at 40 ...

Personally if something says 'best food' or 'coldest beer' I don't hold them to that I just take it to mean 'very good food' and 'we have cold beer' and take my chances. The 'best' is always subjective. I am sure he thinks his breakfast tastes good and I may check it out myself as I will stay in the J&P or Opey.

TBH there are sooooo many breakfasts in Pattaya no one will ever decide on the 'best' but as long as it tastes nice and is a decent portion I don't think too much whether this one or that one is better than the other.

If it's a case of bacon overdone or eggs runny then it's a different matter in judging a brekkie otherwise I just look for portion and taste decent ... and location.

thanks its not a bad meal for 120 baht for sure ... try the cod fish cakes they are to die for :) will get a pic of them later just like my local chippy did back in belper Derbyshire uk

I don't do fish cakes thanks - as with sausages, seen them made. :Think1:

BTW - Your Banner on here definitely does still say Dory & Chips is 99 Baht.

Watch out for the Trading Standards Officer. :GoldenSmile1:

I don't do fish cakes thanks - as with sausages, seen them made. :Think1:

BTW - Your Banner on here definitely does still say Dory & Chips is 99 Baht.

Watch out for the Trading Standards Officer. :GoldenSmile1:

old banner sorry

Life begins at 40 ...

I have eaten at the jf at least 30 times

I will not be going back why.

Last week I ordered the dory and chips. Which is never good but normally ok

The best of a bad lot for fish/chips Pattaya

The fish(dory) was so soggy once you cut through the batter. Was like eating battered snot

The chips not chips (wedges) were under cooked again ,soggy on the outside soggy on the inside

As I have eaten at the jf many times put it down to a one off

So went back last night did not fancy the fish/chips lol

So ordered the chicken and chips with salad

Did not fancy the chips(wedges) changed chips for French fries

The meal arrived in good time less than 3 mins not a good sign

The chicken was a dryed up pre cooked chicken leg(prob one of the worst pces of chicken I have ever eaten in Thailand I have been coming to Thailand for over 20 years)

The French fries all 15 of the little buggers again pre cooked (shite)

The salad least said the better

Overview since new owner prices up quality down

I will not be going back

I will not be going back

:LOL2: ...and he thought he was getting roughed up before.

Last week I ordered the dory and chips. Which is never good but normally ok

The best of a bad lot for fish/chips Pattaya

The fish(dory) was so soggy once you cut through the batter. Was like eating battered snot

The chips not chips (wedges) were under cooked again ,soggy on the outside soggy on the inside

As I have eaten at the jf many times put it down to a one off

So went back last night did not fancy the fish/chips lol

So ordered the chicken and chips with salad

Did not fancy the chips(wedges) changed chips for French fries

The meal arrived in good time less than 3 mins not a good sign

The chicken was a dryed up pre cooked chicken leg(prob one of the worst pces of chicken I have ever eaten in Thailand I have been coming to Thailand for over 20 years)

The French fries all 15 of the little buggers again pre cooked (shite)

The salad least said the better

I will not be going back

well nothings changed since you been 30 times so u must have got a cook on a bad day ..

only things that we have changed is 20b on chips

if you want chicken and chips try our other restaurant the Devonshire on a monday we do a half roast chicken with chips and peas for 149 or 169 any other day1-Monday.jpg

Life begins at 40 ...

Archived