IGNORED

Jolly Friar

I was reading this out to a service girl who didn't even work last night and she said this is Steve - sure! - you know him? - yes know him come many time want curry sauce cook 3 times we do he still not happy - he say chips cold when get home - well if you travel on a bike with chips in a carton the elements will have such an effect Steve.

These girls haven't got university degrees or yet to have mastered fluent english/slang english, if they had they certainly wouldn't work as a service girl. I have more respect for these girls then any of the 'working' girls and some of my staff could quite easily make the 'leap' - yes Thai 's lie - yes they steal - show me one that doesn't - over 60 baht though hhhhmm i think it was a mistake but i wasn't there so i'll take your word for it and apologize on behalf of them and have a word.

But DO NOT swear at my staff as i'll take that personally as we all work as a team - Aong even said you were drunk one night and walked in the kitchen - which is clearly against health and safety but seeing as you're not coming again i can't foresee us having any more problems.

Thanks for taking the time to comment i wish you well.

Kell :-)

Hi Kel,,

Ok I was out of order swearing at the staff and I appologise, but I was mad and annoyed that after being told I hadnt paid when I had done about 10 mins earlier,,, once agai I appologise,

About the cold chips,,, as the girls know I go there quite regular and everytime i get takeway chips there hasnt been a problem apart from the one instant i was talking about,, they were more stale than cold and the curry sauce was like water,, dunno if you have new cook or what but previously ive had no complaints,,, I never asked them to cook the curry sauce 3 times, all i said was make sure chips are fresh and hot this time as last time they were not and make sure curry sauce is thick,,, received my order ,, AFTER PAYING !!!!,,,,,and checked the curry sauce which was like tap water,,i said mai dee i want thick,, then one of the girls went kitchen and brought thick curry sauce back to me,,, so i dont know where the 3 times comes from as in my estimation it was once,,

If you look at all my previous posts in this section you will see that ive done nothing but praise you and also stick up for you,,,,

Also about me entering your kitchen is a complete lie,,,, ive never set foot in your kitchen as i find that dis respectful which i am not,,,

yes, i know the girls and the girls know of me,, used to have a bit of banter with them,, id tip them now and again depending on my mood but did not tip when they asked for tips,, nothing worse than getting asked for a tip is there,, maybe you should address that to them also,,,

Anyway,, thanks for your response and good luck with the jolly frier in the future,,,

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Steve...thanks for the swearing apology much appreciated...after further investigation on my part you are right on both counts which hopefully i've sorted and put to bed. They can on my system, as well they can in bars, use duplicate bins, so i think you paid and she then thought hhhmm i'll pocket that not ever producing a bin - then panicked and tried to tap you twice - when you noticed - she then got an old bin out which says medium chips maybe from 10 minutes ago and used that not being the sharpest tool in the box...the only way i'd find out is by physically being there and checking the TIME on the bin which would be hard as you could imagine - i'll have to trust my manager to check up as she is pretty good and i found out one day she cut herself unbeknown to the other staff for being late one day so maybe i've got a keeper :-)

Reference the cold'er' chips as they close at 0200 they start cleaning the kitchen earlier and/or pulling the chips out the fat fryer too early to produce a quicker yet not as good quality order. I've changed their hours so they start later and finish at 0230 so there is more than enough time to clean up working right up til 0200. They then can start the cleaning process at 0200.

Also reference entering the kitchen it wasn't you after a deeper investigation which again i apologize for it was a cheeky bloke trying to learn how to make my fish and chips so he could start producing them from his beer bar. Big sorry there..

Thanks for pointing all this out as i would never have known.

Cheers Steve

Hi Steve...thanks for the swearing apology much appreciated...after further investigation on my part you are right on both counts which hopefully i've sorted and put to bed. They can on my system, as well they can in bars, use duplicate bins, so i think you paid and she then thought hhhmm i'll pocket that not ever producing a bin - then panicked and tried to tap you twice - when you noticed - she then got an old bin out which says medium chips maybe from 10 minutes ago and used that not being the sharpest tool in the box...the only way i'd find out is by physically being there and checking the TIME on the bin which would be hard as you could imagine - i'll have to trust my manager to check up as she is pretty good and i found out one day she cut herself unbeknown to the other staff for being late one day so maybe i've got a keeper :-)

Reference the cold'er' chips as they close at 0200 they start cleaning the kitchen earlier and/or pulling the chips out the fat fryer too early to produce a quicker yet not as good quality order. I've changed their hours so they start later and finish at 0230 so there is more than enough time to clean up working right up til 0200. They then can start the cleaning process at 0200.

Also reference entering the kitchen it wasn't you after a deeper investigation which again i apologize for it was a cheeky bloke trying to learn how to make my fish and chips so he could start producing them from his beer bar. Big sorry there..

Thanks for pointing all this out as i would never have known.

Cheers Steve

Thanks Kel for the response,, but it seems like you know that theyre scamming punters and you let her or them get away with it,,, if it was my business they would be out on there arse,,, sorry mate but thats my opinion, my opinion ,,,, are you sure youre not in on it aswell?? otherwise with you being the boss you could become known as The Codfather,,,,, lol,,,, good luck mate,,,,,

Okay i know who this steve guy is. I was there a couple of nights ago and he's some irish bloke and he was complaing about the sauce not being 'thick' (although the way he pronounced it was completely retarded). This guy was the biggest loudmouth drunk i've ever seen. Basically one of those guys you just want to punch in the face. His entire personality is just terrible and the kind that ruins places like pattaya. Absolutely no respect for the staff. I don't know if he was joking around or not but characters like this are the reason there are so many fights or misunderstandings that cause a fight (as he may have been joking around...but you couldn't tell).

Then again it might not of been him. He was irish and ranting about the sauce not being thick and just generally talking very loud to two of his friends...i just can't stress enough how bad this guys personality is. He's mostly likely been punched in the face dozens of times thoughout his life if he normally behaves this way.

I dont have any personal vendetta against him. This is the one and only time i've ever seen him. I also have no agenda with this restaurant. I even made a post in the previous page about how they forgot my chips when i ordered take away fish burger + chips (yet still payed for the chips)

note: i didn't see him walk into the kitchen (he was there before me though) but the cook did come out for a sec when he was ranting

STEVE, Can you, and anyone else who has a similar personality to you please stay the fuck in your own country?

• 1 month later...

Latest pics

P1190099 (640x480).jpg

P1190100 (640x480).jpg

Last tues a mate and I went.He ordered a large dory 100 baht and French fries 60 baht. The large dory is too much for me so I ordered small dory 60baht French fries 60baht and side order of mushy peas. When the meals came the waitress gave me his and he got mine. She swapped plates and you could see the large was slightly bigger than mine. My mate was not happy but you could not argue with the staff,it's a waste of time. Anyway my mate says we are going to give a miss for a few weeks.

go there quite often for takeaway (the one in Jomtien) and I was having a really shitty day so its no suprise that they forgot to put my fishcake in the order so when I got home and looked forward to my "usual" dory / chips / mushy peas and fishcake (the bit I enjoy the most) it was missing :(

Guess I will have to check the boxes from now on.

go there quite often for takeaway (the one in Jomtien) and I was having a really shitty day so its no suprise that they forgot to put my fishcake in the order so when I got home and looked forward to my "usual" dory / chips / mushy peas and fishcake (the bit I enjoy the most) it was missing :(

Guess I will have to check the boxes from now on.

Wrong thread - that's Golden Friar in Jomtien - different owner now I believe.

You know something? I was there these days. And guess what?

Pin Bones in Shark Fillet??? Unbelievable!

You know why? Because Shark does not have Pin Bones!

So that I ate was not a shark!

Goodbye from me Jolly!

My uncle has the biggest industry of fish products in all Australia. So I can know better than you or anyone else here (maybe) if a flake can have pin bones or not. It stuck on my throat and vomited using my hand in my mouth and water so it came out...I hope...

BUT even if we do not take as a problem the fake shark (for me that I was eating for years in Australia, this is not a shark meat, tell this to your fishermen, tell them that one pattaya-addicts friend says that shark flake for fish 'n chips does not smell like fishes, is something closer to red meat taste), the big problem is that you cannot give any fillet to a customer, without this fillet to be a fillet. Fish n chips have to be cleaned carefully from pin bones. One reason that a fish fillet called like this is because you have to take out all the pin bones.

Was in JF the other night.

I like the food, but find it amazing that they continue to chill the plates and warm the beer !

Sorry about that guys i'll get on to my staff on all three counts - thanks for posting :-)

Kell

Sorry about that guys i'll get on to my staff on all three counts - thanks for posting :-)

Kell

Yes dear,get onto the complaints Dept.

Back in the UK now but last week was in JF for cod and chips and yes it was great and the service staff were excellent !

If it flies, floats or fucks - it will be cheaper to rent !

Great to hear! I'll pass on your compliment to the staff as they are really working hard this high season :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Will be back to Patts next month and seeing how this was my regular restaurant for almost 18 mths,  will see if the standards are as good as when Ian ran it.

Never had a bad meal there before but like said above you never know what its like when changed hands.

Keep the plates warm tho!!

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Jolly Friar with friend and his girl a couple of weeks ago . Good food at great prices . Will return

Mikeyboy

• 2 weeks later...

Only visiting Pattaya once a month these days I've always used the Jolly Friar usually for a late night take-away,my only comment is how the size of the flake varies sometimes pretty big & other times quite small.

A few weeks ago I saw a post about a new place in Soi Lenke called Friar Tuck who has Fish and Chips for 99 baht.

I thought i would try it out but got the names mixed up and stopped off at the Jolly Friar and saw Fish and Chips at 120 baht.

I thought the price had gone up due to extra demand but anyway took the F and C take away.

So good especially the big helping of chunky chips I have been back many times (including yesterday).

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

Ate at the Jolly Friar several times over the past two weeks, continues to be good, except for the Dory which is due to it being an unexceptional fish.

I especially liked the Mushy Peas this trip !

One minor thing, IME there is usually a fly buzzing round, when I take either of the tables next to the window. It's annoying, and doesn't send the right message, on hygiene-standards.

But I would definitely recommend the Jolly Friar to anyone !

Been there once and will be happy to make a return on my next trip !!

When I'm in Pattaya I  usually have a meal there.

The quality is good, price is right and they are open late (I think until 1 a.m.) so some good Fish and Chips around midnight can be found there.

I usually order a small or medium fish (Cod Dory I think it is, breadcrumbs or battered can be chosen),

on below pic (March 2013) there is a small fish and a small portion of home made fries.

Costs:  60 + 60 = 120 Baht and a Coke Light is 30 or 35 Baht.

post-18226-0-75040800-1364418314_thumb.jpg

Cheers

T

W....................

...............................fish (Cod I think it is...............................

Costs:  60 + 60 = 120 Baht ........................................................................

Not a chance, but if you like it good for you.   :hello09:

PS - Somewhere up there I said that Simon's at Jomtien was my last hope for good quality Cod & Chips.

I went last week - forget that idea.

I regularly go to the Jolly Friar for Fish and Chips (120 baht) takeaway.

I assume the fish is Pacific Dory but find it quite good and I was brought up on Haddock and Chips in Aberdeen,

Incidently I get a much bigger helping of chips than shown on photo and fish is bigger too.

Incidently I get a much bigger helping of chips than shown on photo and fish is bigger too.

Because you ordered the large, Binky ?

Because you ordered the large, Binky ?

No just the standard 120 baht Fish and Chips.

Perhaps they give me more because i leave a 20 baht tip for a Takeaway or perhaps just because it is a takeaway.

Last of the big spenders

PS: here is what i got this afternoon. I love those chunky chips.

F and C 004_950x633.jpg

Archived