Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Jolly Friar

Looks ok and thanks for the BMs pics.

Did have few x-pat friends comment to me that they said its gone downhill in quality and service there compared to yrs ago, so will have to try it myself as did used to be my regular f n chips place every week.

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've taken over running Jolly Friar now (Kell the owner) with some great feedback so come in and enjoy some great food and great prices ... please see updated thread..

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/141292-jolly-friar-soi-lengkee-new-changes-put-it-back-on-top-again/page-4#entry2091852

Kell.  :-)

I've taken over running Jolly Friar now (Kell the owner) with some great feedback so come in and enjoy some great food and great prices ... please see updated thread..

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/141292-jolly-friar-soi-lengkee-new-changes-put-it-back-on-top-again/page-4#entry2091852

Kell.  :-)

Yes Kell..............any pics and tell us about yourself......

I'm too ugly to go public lol - But ex Royal Marine and security contractor in Iraq got hit with a RPG and couldn't work since..bought the Jolly of Ian in June and have been taking a more active role since December..i firmly believe we have the best in town whilst keeping the same low prices..any feedback please feel free to PM me and i'll get right on it :-)

Be safe guys

Kell

Well I must say .........I would find it difficult to run a fish and chip shop because everyone has different tastes........I found your fish and chips pretty good actually..........

I'll be over for a feed Kell as i'll be staying at the 'OPEY de Place' on Soi Lenkee in May.

Great guys hope to see you soon - and please feedback feedback feedback - PM if necessary - I do live here and i'm not completely incapacitated lol mainly hearing and a slight TBI injury but for Queen and country eh lol

Kell :-)

With your background being in the armed forces it got me thinking that Pattaya Addicts could muster a small army of ex- Millitary BM's from around the world,eh?

'Royal Engineers' Myself (Retired of course).

Royal Engineers.jpg

Great please ask the staff if i'm around we'll go over some war stories and experience bud :-)

Kell.

Haven't got any war stories Kell although we had Muskets back in my day.

haha 3 rounds a minute i believe !

• 11 months later...

Ate four times at the Jolly Friar, during my most recent visit, still very good IMO, but the restaurant wasn't ever very busy, which isn't a good sign.

I enjoyed both the battered-flake, and the steak-and-kidney pud !

But the staff seem to have a problem with ventilation in the kitchen, and opening the front-door rather negates the point of having air-con, perhaps until the repairs are made in the kitchen, they might consider running the ceiling-fans whenever the door is being left open ?

Ate four times at the Jolly Friar, during my most recent visit, still very good IMO, but the restaurant wasn't ever very busy, which isn't a good sign.

I think the one in New Plaza took most of what customers were left.

Been numerous times including the Jomptien location and always enjoyed the fish but the chips and fries (they have both) are severely lacking in quality. To the owner, please go to Ban Chang and try the chips at the Camel hotel to see how chips should be cooked. They are huge, crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside with real potato flavour (beef drippings?). I've been there with Aussies and Brits and they all mentioned how good they were. Unlike yours they are cooked all the way thru, aren't watery and not as sweet. It just proves how they can be done in the LoS. No excuses regarding the wrong potato type etc.

l.jpg

They look like this

i'd rather eat a fishes face than a steak and kidney pie

• 2 months later...

I had cod and french fries yesterday at the Jolly Friar. It was the worst cod i have ever eaten, i did not finish it, also the french fries could have been cocked longer, they were hard inside. I wont be going back....

Try the chippie at New Plaza... Brill..!

Been numerous times including the Jomptien location and always enjoyed the fish but the chips and fries (they have both) are severely lacking in quality. To the owner, please go to Ban Chang and try the chips at the Camel hotel to see how chips should be cooked. They are huge, crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside with real potato flavour (beef drippings?). I've been there with Aussies and Brits and they all mentioned how good they were. Unlike yours they are cooked all the way thru, aren't watery and not as sweet. It just proves how they can be done in the LoS. No excuses regarding the wrong potato type etc.

l.jpg

They look like this

WOW this looks very very good...is this meal served in pattaya?if so can u give some info about the restaurant?

• 1 month later...

welcome to low season.

took these pics today

The (new?) owner posted elsewhere that he was closing for a re-paint and a change of staff, but his name was Tim, who I thought was posting here as owner a long time ago.

Personally I'm not expecting much to change by September.

Striderman, you are one day late in posting about Jolly Friar.

I often buy Fish and Chips  149 Baht  (nice chunky chips) from Jolly Friar as a take-away but went yesterday and found it closed.

So decided to try FriarTuck's  Fish and Chips 99 baht. The fish was nice and big but the chips were thin scrawny ones without much taste. I was the only customer.

I will just have to wait till Jolly Friar opens again.

Fish and Chips from Jolly Friar.

Jolly Friar 6_1200x800.jpg

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

yes the jolly friar has been bought .. and is being referebed and new menu and staff ..... hopefully it will reopen middle of sept . with a few added extras . i will update more as it happens

Well I hope they still will have the chunky chips and not only supermarket French Fries.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

When was there in Feb had a few meals there and seemed ok apart from a stroppy waitress, who I thinks been mentioned before here.

So another owner then? Mmmmm good luck!!

Seems to be a lot more competition for good fish n chips in the local area nowadays.

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

Well I hope they still will have the chunky chips and not only supermarket French Fries.

Why would anyone ever go back, to an alleged 'fish-and-chips' shop, which didn't use real fresh potatoes ?

That's my minimum-required-standard, for a return visit !

Frozen fries just don't cut it !

Hope the new owner agrees with us on that !

yes the jolly friar has been bought .. and is being referebed and new menu and staff ..... hopefully it will reopen middle of sept . with a few added extras . i will update more as it happens

not what it says on the pic of the sign outside that i took a pic of this evening.

evil mr lager will not let me post it till the morning

there you go......

aug 16 006_800x600.jpg

Archived