Business for sale

Jolly Friar for sell.jpg

Pic taken today

striderman : you're too fast! :)

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

striderman : you're too fast! :)

:D sorry, i only went up that way to get a shot of steak &  co on the first night

Interesting - the refurb' story didn't really stack up.

According to this thread I'm guessing that Ian sold it to Tim, then Kell took over and failed, so it's back with Tim now, owner of that other restaurant further towards SB.

Actually I think there is a good business opportunity there - if only someone like the guy at Fryday in New Plaza would take it on and do it properly.

According to this thread I'm guessing that Ian sold it to Tim, then Kell took over and failed, so it's back with Tim now, owner of that other restaurant further towards SB.

Actually I think there is a good business opportunity there - if only someone like the guy at Fryday in New Plaza would take it on and do it properly.

When the JF first opened the JF was a good chippy and a bargain

Fish/chips for 99baht and if you saved your coupons( I never did)

Every 10 meals you got one free meal

A very busy restaurant

The last couple of times I had fish/chips at the JF

THE quality had gone well down

The new plaza chippy has Deffo nicked JF expat customers

Better food and cheaper

Who ever purchases the JF will have a battle on their hands to get their old customers back

I stopped going when they increased their prices so much. A small increase I could have tolerated.

....his food, but without his personality

I find him to always be pleasant we always have a talk when I stop in

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

Always found him more than pleasnt and obliging......

..... but maybe some of us could piss him off? :-)

Kell was the owner from day 1 when I sold the business, Tim had plans to take-over the Jolly Friar but it didn't work out. I noticed the "business for sale" went up on Thursday, its a good location and pretty well equipped, depending on price & lease it could be a really good opportunity for someone looking to live above & make a living. 

Good luck with the sale.

• 3 weeks later...

The Jolly Friar in Soi Lengkee will re-open this Monday under "new ownership", the new owners are Mark & Mai from the Golden Friar in Jomtien, they have a lot of experience in the restaurant business / fish & chips. 

They have completed some minor renovations and will be ready to re-open Monday 8th September, the menu remains largely unchanged for now but will be updated before high season.

The Jolly Friar in Soi Lengkee will re-open this Monday under "new ownership", the new owners are Mark & Mai from the Golden Friar in Jomtien, they have a lot of experience in the restaurant business / fish & chips. 

They have completed some minor renovations and will be ready to re-open Monday 8th September, the menu remains largely unchanged for now but will be updated before high season.

If they could take it back to the blueprint Ian left behind it would be a big step forward IMO and be much appreciated by the LKM/SB fraternity.

The only thing which might prevent a return to the really good old days might be the availability of Cod and Halibut  such as Makro used to import (Emborg of Norway was it?).

I hope they take a page from Every Day is Fry Day.

As far as I can work out, Mr Fryday uses no magic ingredients or even superior product and he even uses frozen chips.

What he does do, as with all successful F & C shops is to get it right..........every time IME.

If they could take it back to the blueprint Ian left behind it would be a big step forward IMO and be much appreciated by the LKM/SB fraternity.

The only thing which might prevent a return to the really good old days might be the availability of Cod and Halibut  such as Makro used to import (Emborg of Norway was it?).

As far as I can work out, Mr Fryday uses no magic ingredients or even superior product and he even uses frozen chips.

What he does do, as with all successful F & C shops is to get it right..........every time IME.

yup

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

Can't argue with that. I was there yesterday and had a takeaway. The place was full from at least 6-7pm as I was drinking at mickeys bar at that time. Jolly friar cannot compete for price.

I last had a meal at JF before they shut down,although I enjoyed the meal the place was quiet. If they want to get customers back they should reduce their price a little.

Can't argue with that. I was there yesterday and had a takeaway. The place was full from at least 6-7pm as I was drinking at mickeys bar at that time. Jolly friar cannot compete for price.

I last had a meal at JF before they shut down,although I enjoyed the meal the place was quiet. If they want to get customers back they should reduce their price a little.

I agree Fryday is one of the main competitors in the local area, Mark setup the Golden Friar in Jomtien based on the Jolly Friar's original blue-print but had to adapt his restaurant to the Russian customer base.

My advise to him is to get back to basics with a clean & comfortable restaurant, serve good quality fish & chip  and maintain the consistency. I have known Mark for 8 years and I very confident he will make a real good job at the Jolly Friar, his Thai wife originally did her training with me when I opened the Jolly Friar, she will be the main cook.

I admit I know nothing whatsoever about Russians eating F&C but I hope Mark is listening.

The main reason i liked JF was that you had the option of "chunky chips" cut from potatoes. Much tastier than  'French Fries' which i assume are tasteless frozen chips bought from a supermarket.

If they can provide a plateful like this (a take-away) I will be back.

Jolly Friar 6_1200x800.jpg

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

The main reason i liked JF was that you had the option of "chunky chips" cut from potatoes. Much tastier than  'French Fries' which i assume are tasteless frozen chips bought from a supermarket.

If they can provide a plateful like this (a take-away) I will be back.

attachicon.gifJolly Friar 6_1200x800.jpg

i think you need to launch a mission from south pattaya to investigate !!

I agree Fryday is one of the main competitors in the local area, Mark setup the Golden Friar in Jomtien based on the Jolly Friar's original blue-print but had to adapt his restaurant to the Russian customer base.

My advise to him is to get back to basics with a clean & comfortable restaurant, serve good quality fish & chip and maintain the consistency. I have known Mark for 8 years and I very confident he will make a real good job at the Jolly Friar, his Thai wife originally did her training with me when I opened the Jolly Friar, she will be the main cook.

Can anybody please tell me the exact location of the Golden Friar in Jomtien. I've done a search and the best I could find was somewhere near Police Box??

Thanks

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Can anybody please tell me the exact location of the Golden Friar in Jomtien. I've done a search and the best I could find was somewhere near Police Box??

Thanks

Its the last right turn, before you reach the Police Box and Dongtan Beach, on the small soi that runs parallel with the main road.

Look for the Fish & Chips sign.

capture4.jpg

Thanks. Hope it's still open next June. I'll be staying in VT7 so will be very close :-)

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Archived