IGNORED

Best Fish & Chips in Pattaya

onlyonetwo

29 minutes ago, mattmoore1965x said:

My local UK chippie was raided by the Council for selling ‘Cod & Chips’ when it was really Pangasius & Chips.

The local paper then ran quite a long feature on it, saying the cost Pangasius is only 25% the price of Cod, so they were making a fortune from the scam.

They closed for a while, paid a hefty fine, and then after a bit of rebranding the same owners opened it up again a few months later.  They even then put big signs up everywhere saying ‘We only sell quality Cod’.

And do you know what?  I now realise that I fucking preferred the Pangasius and wish they would bring it back……

It's pretty easy to tell the difference. I much prefer the flakiness of cod or haddock. The only time I liked the dory was deep fried in a fish Taco with lots of authentic Mexican sauces. 

Retired

5 hours ago, vimto66 said:

Maybe its just me but when someone says they had cod and chips i expect the fish to look like..well...a fish, but in your defence you said it was cod loin so fair enough.

For those who don't know, or are more used to Captain Birdseye et al who portion or reconstitute Cod in the shape of a fillet, as was pointed out earlier, an adult Cod is massive and must be portioned.
I think quota reg's control catch size these days, but even a juvenile (codling) fillet from eg. Whitby is likely to be at least 4-500 gms and therefore expensive if you were to even see one whole in a FnC shop.

The Loin has always been removed from full size fillets and sold separately as a premium portion.
By definition it cannot be fillet shaped and, as it is quite thick, most chefs butterfly it to allow quicker complete cooking and to be more presentable on the plate.
Here in Pattaya it retails like this.

loin.thumb.jpg.0fac405a1c2781f6f1fb4a4d66d7f42c.jpg

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

For those who think fish is fish and don't care what it is once it's encased in golden batter, please move along, nothing for you here.
As for the guy who claims he preferred Pangasius, I totally despair.

The one thing that the factory farmed catfish from the Mekong has in its favour is that it is very cheap and that's why its use has spread across Europe and to the US.
It is so cheap that I've tried using it myself, even 'glueing' 2 fillets together and literally wringing out as much water as possible, but as a FnC fish it is hopeless.....basically no flake texture, no taste and just mushy.

Haddock tend to be caught much smaller than Cod (in UK anyway) so you are more likely to see whole fillets around 8-900 grams in FnC shops...... fillet shaped but expensive.
However, the Haddock on offer around Pattaya is mostly (all?) Tails, which in my day were almost a waste product, costing about 25% of the price of Haddock fillets and often used in Fish Cakes etc. FnC shops readily bought them when there was a glut and 'glued' them together with rice flour before battering so they appeared to be a regular fillet.
Unfortunately, Tails have no flake texture and are mushy and tasteless.....still better that Pangasius/Dory though.

BTW - There is a dish in high end restaurants I'm told (no, Bruno's never had it) called John Dory, but it is an Ocean fish of the Tang species (think blue Regal Tang as in the Finding Dory cartoons).
image.jpeg.27ca286af0183c61cd3e1e3a8bd6601d.jpeg

If you don't care what you eat, up2u. 

57 minutes ago, Edge said:

For those who don't know, or are more used to Captain Birdseye et al who portion or reconstitute Cod in the shape of a fillet, as was pointed out earlier, an adult Cod is massive and must be portioned.
I think quota reg's control catch size these days, but even a juvenile (codling) fillet from eg. Whitby is likely to be at least 4-500 gms and therefore expensive if you were to even see one whole in a FnC shop.

The Loin has always been removed from full size fillets and sold separately as a premium portion.
By definition it cannot be fillet shaped and, as it is quite thick, most chefs butterfly it to allow quicker complete cooking and to be more presentable on the plate.
Here in Pattaya it retails like this.

loin.thumb.jpg.0fac405a1c2781f6f1fb4a4d66d7f42c.jpg

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

For those who think fish is fish and don't care what it is once it's encased in golden batter, please move along, nothing for you here.
As for the guy who claims he preferred Pangasius, I totally despair.

The one thing that the factory farmed catfish from the Mekong has in its favour is that it is very cheap and that's why its use has spread across Europe and to the US.
It is so cheap that I've tried using it myself, even 'glueing' 2 fillets together and literally wringing out as much water as possible, but as a FnC fish it is hopeless.....basically no flake texture, no taste and just mushy.

Haddock tend to be caught much smaller than Cod (in UK anyway) so you are more likely to see whole fillets around 8-900 grams in FnC shops...... fillet shaped but expensive.
However, the Haddock on offer around Pattaya is mostly (all?) Tails, which in my day were almost a waste product, costing about 25% of the price of Haddock fillets and often used in Fish Cakes etc. FnC shops readily bought them when there was a glut and 'glued' them together with rice flour before battering so they appeared to be a regular fillet.
Unfortunately, Tails have no flake texture and are mushy and tasteless.....still better that Pangasius/Dory though.

BTW - There is a dish in high end restaurants I'm told (no, Bruno's never had it) called John Dory, but it is an Ocean fish of the Tang species (think blue Regal Tang as in the Finding Dory cartoons).
image.jpeg.27ca286af0183c61cd3e1e3a8bd6601d.jpeg

If you don't care what you eat, up2u. 

Sir where will you be visiting today for F/C today?

2 minutes ago, Pheat said:

Sir where will you be visiting today for F/C today?

As per the photo above, it's looking like DIY.

Nicky's is closed until tomorrow, but anyway as I found out y'day the ATK/SHA rules are presenting real problems i.e. restaurants (and bars) are abiding by the Rules of Entry but not  testing themselves.......Witherspoons?
That means you need to go to one of the Test Stations, IF they are still there and get a 3 day Certificate...... IF you are -ve.
The DIY kits only tell you if you likely to pass a Test and are no use for entry.
Otherwise you find somewhere they are Testing and go through the procedure and the wait for results?

With new Rules due any minute, today I can't be arsed to run the gauntlet.

3 minutes ago, Edge said:

As per the photo above, it's looking like DIY.

Nicky's is closed until tomorrow, but anyway as I found out y'day the ATK/SHA rules are presenting real problems i.e. restaurants (and bars) are abiding by the Rules of Entry but not  testing themselves.......Witherspoons?
That means you need to go to one of the Test Stations, IF they are still there and get a 3 day Certificate...... IF you are -ve.
The DIY kits only tell you if you likely to pass a Test and are no use for entry.
Otherwise you find somewhere they are Testing and go through the procedure and the wait for results?

With new Rules due any minute, today I can't be arsed to run the gauntlet.

I was In Witherspoons last night no testing required but might have changed 

11 minutes ago, Pheat said:

I was In Witherspoons last night no testing required but might have changed 

Dean says they got a visit and a strong warning last night............

........so today you need an ATK test certificate to get in.    :Dunno:

Do Witherspoon deliver? can't see them on the food apps, there is a logo on their website for delivery but no link off it

36 minutes ago, Edge said:

Dean says they got a visit and a strong warning last night............

........so today you need an ATK test certificate to get in.    :Dunno:

Ok you can’t self test ?

36 minutes ago, splitpin said:

Do Witherspoon deliver? can't see them on the food apps, there is a logo on their website for delivery but no link off it

It's on Hungry Now.

9 minutes ago, Pheat said:

Ok you can’t self test ?

Don't know how it works but he says you can Self Test or the staff have been testing some.... "nightmare".

8 minutes ago, Edge said:

It's on Hungry Now.

Don't know how it works but he says you can Self Test or the staff have been testing some.... "nightmare".

Total joke if you self test no date time on the test could be weeks old ,or someone else’s test 

I stroll up to Witherspoons shortly and find out 

• Like 2

Had the Fish & Chips at Patrick's, wasn't in the mood for anything else on the menu. Pretty mediocore but not the worst I've had I guess. Stick with their specialty next time, steaks, etc..

7 hours ago, Pheat said:

Total joke if you self test no date time on the test could be weeks old ,or someone else’s test 

I stroll up to Witherspoons shortly and find out 

The F/C in Witherspoons I give 7/10 Retox game on was an 8/10

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Don't mistake Jolly Fish and Chips for the Old Jolly Fryer on Food Panda, as I just did.

Advertisers Norwegian Cod and home made chips for B248

The chips were tasteless frozen ones not even cooked properly , I have better quality ones in my freezer. The so-called Cod was a lump of some kind of soft flesh fish which tasted vile and went into the bin uneaten

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cod /chips from the spoons (old Rcon)yesterday 249 Baht 

A good size piece of fish which was well cooked but the batter was a bit of a let down slightly soggy in places the chips  were ok on the F/C for Pattaya scale 8/10 slightly up from my previous visit 7/10 due to the larger size of the piece of cod

8ADB3060-7019-455C-98CA-37BBE54DC301.jpeg

Edited by Pheat

2 hours ago, Pheat said:

A good size piece of fish which was well cooked but the batter was a bit of a let down slightly soggy in places the chips  were ok on the F/C for Pattaya scale 8/10 slightly up from my previous visit 7/10 due to the larger size of the piece of cod

Fries/chips look bland but the guacamole (:wink:)  looks okay. What's with the plain piece of bread served with it? Not sure I've seen that before. 

7 hours ago, Pheat said:

Been disappointed with chips recently in Spoons, its like they are reheated????

Yesterday, I had F&C from Nickey's. Was good but did not travel well, had it off hungry now, got a decent discount.

Came with 3  "plain pieces of bread"

23 minutes ago, jimboh said:

Yesterday, I had F&C from Nickey's. Was good but did not travel well, had it off hungry now, got a decent discount.

Wrapped up fish and chips, that then goes on a journey on a bike, will never travel well, that's why you need an air fryer, to re crisp it up, when you eventually get it.

Edited by Syco

15 hours ago, jimboh said:

Yep definitely reheated I visited Witherspoons again yesterday for the rib special 249 Baht which came with chips 

The chips had definitely been reheated not good at all ,but the ribs were good and plenty of them 

The Spoons is getting leathered over the reheated chips & rightly so; I'd rather wait an extra 5 minutes for freshly cooked chips. I do hope Dean takes note of these comments, he may actually be unaware of his chef's practices which make the chef's life easier.

I'm quite content with the Fish 'n Chippie stand in LK Metro; for 130b it's freshly cooked in front of you & you have the choice of potato scallops or crinkle cut chips. You do have to get your order in early as she will run out later on. :wink:

• Like 5

You're here now where you should have been all along.  :wink:

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

1 minute ago, Petesie said:

I'm quite content with the Fish 'n Chippie stand in LK Metro; for 130b it's freshly cooked in front of you

Walked past hundreds of times and never stopped I will give it ago in the next couple of days 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Petesie said:

The Spoons is getting leathered over the reheated chips & rightly so; I'd rather wait an extra 5 minutes for freshly cooked chips. I do hope Dean takes note of these comments, he may actually be unaware of his chef's practices which make the chef's life easier.

I'm quite content with the Fish 'n Chippie stand in LK Metro; for 130b it's freshly cooked in front of you & you have the choice of potato scallops or crinkle cut chips. You do have to get your order in early as she will run out later on. :wink:

I don't think Dean reads this.  :Dunno:
It has been hard work getting the FnC close to the Retox standard, especially the chips....... sometimes "well done please" worked but not always and more recently it got worse.
The potatoes get the blame, but anyone who remembers how Ian set Jolly Friar up knows that it is solvable by blanching and/or double frying...... but few can be bothered with that.
I haven't been inside since ATK started and the last takeaway I tried was errr not good, despite the Air Fryer.
Dean is a great bloke but he doesn't seem to have the answer..

Re' the LKM stand, I've tried it twice and yes she does a decent job of cooking.
Sadly, the fish is that bloody awful Pangasius and IME the 'taste' varies according to how pissed you are.  :Drunk_Party:

Lately, Nicky's has been as good as it gets... the Cod that is, not the Haddock tails......though the crinkle cut chips don't suit everyone's idea of FnC style.

The mystery of why only Haddock tails (skin on) was explained to me last week by an expat food shop operator.
Hard to believe, but containers of Cod and Haddock are shipped to Bangkok for processing then the finished product returned to Europe.
The 'waste' (off cuts and tails etc) is sold here at bargain prices......you may have seen it advertised in the expat shops and on Special at several restaurants........she may even have had some in LKM looking at the pic above.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Edge said:

Sadly, the fish is that bloody awful Pangasius and IME the 'taste' varies according to how pissed you are

Thank you for the heads up I have dodged a bullet 

i frigging hate Pangasius like eating battered  snot 

Edited by Pheat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Pheat said:

Thank you for the heads up I have dodged a bullet i frigging hate Pangasius like eating battered  snot 

I've had it from Pittinis & yer right, battered snot was a good description!

Thankfully this lady has it sussed & it's a very enjoyable feed, don't right it off. In fact I'm in Murphy's tonight so I'll order one to take to Newbar...:wink:

You're here now where you should have been all along.  :wink:

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png