IGNORED

Best Fish & Chips in Pattaya

onlyonetwo

8 minutes ago, Edge said:

Not been yet, but on Darkside the one getting good reviews lately is London Inn.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Cafe/London-Inn-Cafe-and-Bar-Darkside-2526976074041864/

I’ve seen them advertise pretty cheap Sunday Roasts and frozen meals to take home. Truthfully, though, I’m just not going to be going to Darkside places (when I eventually get back to Pattaya). Even if I stay longer term, I won’t have transport and won’t use mototaxis so the cost & logistics of getting somewhere out there just isn’t worth it. 

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

26 minutes ago, jimboh said:

RHT now charge 250B on Friday for haddock, and its dame good, can get with either batter or breadcrumbs.

Interestingly, they charge 399B for cod and chips, off their regular menu.

Are you sure it's not 299 for the Cod?
It certainly was last time I went.

The Flounder floundered I was told and is no more.
Haddock is my favourite for FnC but I'm not very impressed with what I've tried here....tails basically, not proper fillets.

This side of the great divide my vote is still for the Friday Cod Special at Retox for 249 Baht.

retox.thumb.jpg.cef314d41336c908722a175e47fa2994.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Tried London Inn...... forget that.  :rolleyes:

Retox still spot on Cod Special 249 Baht.

20201113_132507.thumb.jpg.48d67e4ec9aca16f75882ccc4249358b.jpg20201113_132854.thumb.jpg.8e8d872bdf25bdeb13d85cff491e2823.jpg

On 07/08/2020 at 19:13, Gaztop08 said:

Had this fish and chips twice when I was in Patts Feb/March on their special offer day.Very nice both times.Witherspoons Soi Buakhao.IMG_20200306_170528.thumb.jpg.d4fc4aa5cb35100bdf550e6b967836b7.jpgCant remember the price either 200 or 250 baht.

That fish looks 'authentic' and good.

Tom Tit

Ron went home for a meal and a wash, but what he had seen over there did not let him rest.

1 minute ago, Tom Tit said:

Tom Tit

It isn't.  :SoWhat1:

7 minutes ago, Tom Tit said:

Tom Tit

5 minutes ago, Edge said:

Really? I just thought that most battered white fish you get with Fish 'n Chips outside Europe looks like (and usually IS) frozen Bird's Eye fillets. That one looks like the fish you get from a real chipper north of London. Does it taste like shit?

Tom Tit

Edited by Tom Tit
  • Haha 2

Ron went home for a meal and a wash, but what he had seen over there did not let him rest.

1 minute ago, Tom Tit said:

Does it taste like shit?

33 minutes ago, Edge said:

still spot on Cod Special

3 hours ago, Tom Tit said:

Really? I just thought that most battered white fish you get with Fish 'n Chips outside Europe looks like (and usually IS) frozen Bird's Eye fillets. That one looks like the fish you get from a real chipper north of London. Does it taste like shit?

Tom Tit

Tasted yummy.Had it from there a few times on their Friday special board. :)

18 hours ago, Tom Tit said:

Tom Tit

Clue. have you ever seen a rectangular cod?

On 07/08/2020 at 19:13, Gaztop08 said:

Had this fish and chips twice when I was in Patts Feb/March on their special offer day.Very nice both times.Witherspoons Soi Buakhao.IMG_20200306_170528.thumb.jpg.d4fc4aa5cb35100bdf550e6b967836b7.jpgCant remember the price either 200 or 250 baht.

19 hours ago, Tom Tit said:

Tom Tit

18 hours ago, Edge said:

45 minutes ago, petemoss said:

Clue. have you ever seen a rectangular cod?

The Witherspoons battered fish in the photograph to which I referred (see first pasted post above) isn't rectangular. It's more, er, 'fish-shaped', and that was my point.

To me that Witherspoons fish looks the most like the fish I'm used to from fish and chip shops in the UK. So, I imagined it might taste pretty good. I'm surprised that some have said it does not.

Living outside the UK for 3 decades, I miss many 'home comforts'. Decent fish and chips has always been high on that list.

Tom Tit

PS. I guess the McDonalds 'fillet 'o fish' folks are using Ostracion Cubicus (the 'yellow boxfish')?

15TB-BOXFISH1-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

Edited by Tom Tit

On 07/08/2020 at 11:17, Edge said:

I don't think it was ever 'owned' by Retox, I think there was some sort of operating arrangement with the Outback owners.

@Captain Dave  may be able to confirm/clarify/correct.

Caveat to above recommendation.
There is a service lady there who takes your order for the Special (at 249) .....then asks if you'd like Cod or Haddock (299 not Special) but fails to mention the difference.

Appears to be in the hands of a South African now.

On 26/10/2020 at 09:41, Edge said:

Not been yet, but on Darkside the one getting good reviews lately is London Inn.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Cafe/London-Inn-Cafe-and-Bar-Darkside-2526976074041864/

Anyone been here? Walking distance from my house but never noticed it. Any connection with "London Pie Co."?

1 hour ago, petemoss said:

Appears to be in the hands of a South African now.

Mate went there Friday for the Haddock Special (299?) and said it's still spot on.

Must have been hard going with those roadworks and they parted with their manager (at Rendezvous now) so a new owner is probably right......decent spot and good food and facilities so hopefully it comes through OK.

51 minutes ago, petemoss said:

Anyone been here? Walking distance from my house but never noticed it. Any connection with "London Pie Co."?

Same mate took me there the week before....he was heard to say later "It's gone off".
It's just a little shop house, not connected I'd guess.
Nothing particularly wrong with it, though 2 small fillets are not the same as 1 large in my book.....frozen fries, all cooked OK and prices cheap enough but certainly not worth the trip from Pattaya Central.....from your place worth a look.

1 hour ago, Tom Tit said:

To me that Witherspoons fish looks the most like the fish I'm used to from fish and chip shops in the UK. So, I imagined it might taste pretty good. I'm surprised that some have said it does not..........

"Looks" hmmmm.
If you don't distinguish between Cod/Haddock and the factory farmed Pangasius catfish most places here use (AKA 'Dory') then I can't help you.
It's a tasteless mush but if someone just likes anything in batter then yes, it can look OK.

The main (only) reason for its popularity is that it's cheap (cheaper?) as chips.
I only recommend Cod or Haddock i.e. ocean fish, which is what UK FnC is about.

You are what you eat up2u.

Edited by Edge

• 6 months later...

Last Friday, had the F&C from Caddyshack. 245B and free delivery, missus had pad Thai and said it was good, she speaks highly of Thai food at Caddyshack.

The cod was good, crispy batter, decent size. Homemade chips good but mushy peas were a let down.

fc thumbnail_IMG_4579.png

• 1 month later...

Where are you all English spoken native.  Yesterday was Friday and no F&C.

Ok, understand restaurant does not sell alcohol so for us it was home cooking as usual.

For the food I had to choose from beer or russian dictionary (1L) IIMG_20210619_134012.thumb.jpg.1e771fbc0191e2d60e54bebbcbd981e1.jpg preferred that.

The Marquee in Buakhow had their usual 99b Fish'nChips on...plus loads of places on the Darkside. :wink:

You're here now where you should have been all along.  :wink:

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

3 hours ago, soi16 said:

Where are you all English spoken native.  Yesterday was Friday and no F&C.

Ok, understand restaurant does not sell alcohol so for us it was home cooking as usual.

Since Retox sadly threw in the towel I haven't really found what I like in Pattaya Central.

I don't eat Pangassius/Dory and, much as I like Haddock, that doesn't really include the Haddock tails which Nicky's and some others use.

I have twice ventured across the great divide to Outback. 299 Baht. Although they do use those Haddock tails, they are at least skinned and their cooking is spot on.

20210619_182435.thumb.jpg.9db5ed52811e14520616b37697cfbc18.jpg

The highlight of my post Retox time was in fact thanks to Retox as I bought an extra meal last visit as takeaway and froze it. Thanks to my air fryer it turned out great....apologies for the added baked beans. :rolleyes:

20210615_210820.thumb.jpg.47316e7654175008cd3b244deb3f4def.jpg

I have also experimented at home. Cod from Friendship is good and some from Siamburi's looks promising....their Halibut was a disaster though (Flounder I suspect).

The beer is out there somewhere.  :GoldenSmile1:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Edge said:

Siamburi's

My cod piece was from Siamburis.

Pangasus, never!

• Like 2

I had F&C at Robinhoods and Sportsman recently.

Robinhoods was very good and they gave me the choice of Cod or Haddock.  I chose the Cod.

Sportsman's F&C was horrible, but it was right after they reopened. It is quite possible it was in their freezer for a few months.

34 minutes ago, jimboh said:

Is there any place in Jomtiem that does decent F & C?

I always go into Pattaya for fish and chips. Obvious suggestions in Jomtien would be Hemingways or Frasers.

9 hours ago, LASportsNut said:

I had F&C at Robinhoods and Sportsman recently.

Robinhoods was very good and they gave me the choice of Cod or Haddock.  I chose the Cod.

Sportsman's F&C was horrible, but it was right after they reopened. It is quite possible it was in their freezer for a few months.

Many years ago, had a terrible F & C in Sportsman. Not tried since. 

I went to Robinhood in the Avenue to try the fish & Chips ... It was pretty good.  breading was crispy, with the fish flaky on the inside. I got the mini, next time I think I'll try the Large.

Fish & Chips at Robinhood tavern.jpg

• Like 1

Robin Hood regular size Cod should be good.

My favourite for some time was Retox, now closed :sad: but hearing that former manager Dean and his staff are at Witherspoons I have high hopes that they can get it right there too.

I'll find out next Friday.

FB_IMG_1624692262213.jpg.e775f9a2336e13814fc9375cff14e79a.jpg

On 19/06/2021 at 18:27, Edge said:

I have also experimented at home

At the foodmart supermarket next to the jomtien bus station they have NZ flake(shark)and it makes great fishNchips,also they have another cheap fillet called snapper but i suspect it is farmed nothing like the snapper in oz.