IGNORED

American Sandwich Soi Buakhow

Last night I had the August special at the Great American Sandwich Company on Soi Bukhao.

post-6485-0-87011500-1502837942.jpg

The special is a barbecue bacon cheeseburger at 195 baht for the single burger or "go Texan" with the double at 345 baht.

post-6485-0-06643000-1502837950.jpg

"O say can you see ..."  

And I was indeed looking at it in the twilight's last gleaming, although the well-lit interior of GASCO kind of negated that effect.

2c.jpg.0490a2075f12aa67bbfb545c82d20e65.jpg

The base of the special is a homemade six-ounce patty of 100% ground steak with no filler.

post-6485-0-19804200-1502837959.jpg

The base rests on a bed of iceberg lettuce, tomato and onion and is topped with two slices of cheddar cheese, a generous strip of streaky bacon and a dollop of homemade spicy barbecue sauce.  

post-6485-0-23928800-1502837981.jpg

A fresh and lightly toasted sesame roll holds the whole thing together.  I had a small portion of potato salad  (45 baht)  as my side dish.

post-6485-0-20008300-1502837983.jpg

post-6485-0-87493400-1502837984.jpg

It all went together very well.  In its price class, it's one of the better burgers I've had in Pattaya.

post-6485-0-11532200-1502837990.jpg

The beef patty, the bacon strip and the other ingredients were quality stuff.  That's what makes or breaks a burger.

post-6485-0-18830100-1502838082.jpg

The sauce had a lot of flavor and was quite spicy.  It was fine for me, but I wouldn't have wanted it any spicier. 

post-6485-0-89949900-1502838085.jpg

If you are sensitive to capsaicin heat, you might ask for the sauce to be served on the side so you can add as much or little as you choose.

post-6485-0-11434400-1502838091.jpg

The potato salad was fresh; the potatoes weren't overly cooked and were lightly dressed, which is exactly how I like it. I don't like potato salad that is swimming in mayo.

post-6485-0-83082800-1502838108.jpg

Bottom line:  With a can of Coke Zero (35 baht), the the total cost of my meal was a reasonable 275 baht.  If you enjoy cheeseburgers, catch the GASCO special in the next two weeks.  It isn't on the regular menu.

post-6485-0-45404300-1502837961.jpg

I really like that quote from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and while waiting for my burger, I amused myself by thinking up endings for, "On  Pattaya Addicts, there are two types of posters, my friend."  However, I don't think at least one member, a couple of banned members and  probably the Mods would appreciate it if I wrote them out, so I'll keep it as a private chuckle.

post-6485-0-48838800-1502837968.jpg

The friendliness of the staff at GASCO deserves mention, since that's by no means a given these days in Pattaya.  The manager gave me a warm welcome and the wait were also full of smiles.  GASCO  isn't exaclty serving medicine, but a spoonful of sweetness helps even good food go down.

I also like the classic rock videos they play on the giant TV  at a decent decibel level.  NOT TOO LOUD!    thumbsup.gif   Just as I was finishing my meal, one of my all-time favorite songs came on, Centerfold by the J. Geils Band.  I took that to be a very good omen for  the evening to be. I wan't wrong, but that's a story for another thread.

I get a good feeling from GASCO and I sincerely hope it succeeds.  It's a great addition to the Pattaya food scene.

post-6485-0-73167600-1502837975.jpg

Evil

devil.gif

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to give the waitress credit for urging me to order the single and not the "go Texan" double August special. 

2d.jpg.aef933bad2b0b391338339367dcd738f.jpg

Apparently a lot of customers have trouble finishing the double because it is so filling.

From what I have experienced at GASCO, the management has done its best to instill a spirit of customer service on the staff.  It's service with a smile, but there's also real service behind the smile.  :Clap:

Evil

1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

I have to give the waitress credit for urging me to order the single and not the "go Texan" double August special. 

2d.jpg.aef933bad2b0b391338339367dcd738f.jpg

Apparently a lot of customers have trouble finishing the double because it is so filling.

From what I have experienced at GASCO, the management has done its best to instill a spirit of customer service on the staff.  It's service with a smile, but there's also real service behind the smile.  :Clap:

Evil

Thanks for stopping by again and taking the time to review....So glad that your follow up visit was as good as your first.

On 14/08/2017 at 8:27 PM, sherma said:

Tried it the other day. Unfortunately I wasn't a fan of the August special. I'd prefer my patty chargrilled to medium. The patty I had seemed to be boiled in its own juices, maybe the pan not hot enough but had that stewed taste.
Each to their own. The rest of the burger was great. Will be back to try the chicken varieties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It certainly shouldn't be "stewed' or boiled.....It is grilled.  I'm not sure what's going on there but I do appreciate the response and will follow that up.  We have had some new staff and perhaps as you say maybe it was cooked on low heat or a cold grill, I'm not sure.  Either way it should be moist but not dry....but certainly not tasing of stewed beef!

I do apologise for your experience, I'm not the Chef and can only say that I will raise it with him because if something is not right we sure want to know about it.  I can only say that yours is the first response we've had of this kind and I hope it's either a once off bad day kind of thing...this is Thailand afterall.....

I will bring this to Dave's attention as he'll have a better idea of what was possibly done wrong.  Again appreciate the feedback as it's they only way we can improve.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made it to GASCO last night and had burger-very good. Nice place, clean. Was only customer at 8 on Sat night, so I fear for this place. Never looked at menu, is burger only a special for August?

The only burgers I have ate in Patts have been in desperation after much too much drink usually from OZ burgers or the one Soi Diana side of LKM (where I am amazed the woman remembers me as the "nice man not like most falang").

I have walked by GASCO many times as Soi Baukao is my ground. I have seen customers in there but more often than not, no customers. I guess I  now by habit just walk by as my food preferences when soberish are not western.  

I think by memory you enter up some steps (first marketing no-no) I cannot remember there being a menu stand outside and of course no custom is a warning sign, also often there is a couple of staff either looking like the are falling asleep standing up or often flat out in one of the booths (which booths is another marketing no-no) especially for a closed restaurant. Just my opinion and observations. 

if buakaow is your ground you should know that any place on the same level as the road has a great chance of being underwater several times in the next couple of months. yes there is a step but nothing major.

here seen under construction in march 2017...............

59a2399f9151d_march7041(Custom).JPG.95644c20d22ef2d86117c9e76af92577.JPG

59a23aaa8eeeb_march21028(Custom).JPG.aba608507a667778f5f6678b6ab8bc83.JPG

above march 21 almost ready to go and next day..............

59a23ae2b767a_march22004(Custom).JPG.92976a6e19134d43cd7f6f98c9da092f.JPG

the opening hour was rapidly changed to 11.00 am

I as most realise the "flash floods" that occur in LOS and Patts but you missed the marketing point, it is a fact that ascending steps/stairways to a retail outlet is a no-no, you also have to look up 555! I also believe what you are marketing is limited  as a competitor to the  general Pattaya audience.

4 minutes ago, geezerrb said:

I as most realise the "flash floods" that occur in LOS and Patts but you missed the marketing point, it is a fact that ascending steps/stairways to a retail outlet is a no-no, you also have to look up 555! I also believe what you are marketing is limited  as a competitor to the  general Pattaya audience.

have you looked at the first photo?

I didn't see where you said you have ever eaten at GASCO. Did I miss it?

If I feel like eating a good sandwich for lunch I don't give a shit if I have to take a single step up to get in the place. If you are an old geezer that needs assistance getting up that step, I'm sure the manager or other member of the staff would lend you a steady hand. 

19 hours ago, geezerrb said:

but you missed the marketing point, it is a fact that ascending steps/stairways to a retail outlet is a no-no, you also have to look up 555!

Relates to venues on upper floors, 3 steps to keep out flood water hardly qualifies.

22 hours ago, jimboh said:

Finally made it to GASCO last night and had burger-very good. Nice place, clean. Was only customer at 8 on Sat night, so I fear for this place. Never looked at menu, is burger only a special for August?

Do not concern yourself, their take away trade is fairly substantial and is set to grow, once they sort out a reliable delivery service. Funny I never noticed a step of any kind until i just saw the photo, what an appalling marketing error :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Marcus85 said:

If I feel like eating a good sandwich for lunch I don't give a shit if I have to take a single step up to get in the place. If you are an old geezer that needs assistance getting up that step, I'm sure the manager or other member of the staff would lend you a steady hand. 

thanks, I can stop by now

15 hours ago, Marcus85 said:

15 hours ago, jimboh said:

Cant believe this looser is whining about having to climb all those steps, sad dude.

12 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

The audacity of that place with its 3 inch step :wacko:

8 hours ago, ingo67 said:

Relates to venues on upper floors, 3 steps to keep out flood water hardly qualifies.

6 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Do not concern yourself, their take away trade is fairly substantial and is set to grow, once they sort out a reliable delivery service. Funny I never noticed a step of any kind until i just saw the photo, what an appalling marketing error :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, just hanging said:

thanks, I can stop by now

Well I really stirred up a hornets nest there, thank you all for the compassion you showed to disabled persons. I simply tried to impart a basic marketing principal. I do actually wonder if I have the correct venue as it has so many defenders but if I do have the right place, not many customers.

while out today in the foothills of soi buakaow i took the opportunity to get an up to date pic of the "hillary steps"............

59a3c377b4bec_aug28058(Custom).JPG.632f411fe6b283d26bf97f14c69dd775.JPG

alas i had forgotten the crampons for my sandals for a summit attempt, so i only got this one from near base camp...................

59a3c3d7e68b3_aug28060(Custom).JPG.988b3b3d6570bb7ea25258b7dec0c213.JPG

33 minutes ago, geezerrb said:

Well I really stirred up a hornets nest there, thank you all for the compassion you showed to disabled persons. I simply tried to impart a basic marketing principal. I do actually wonder if I have the correct venue as it has so many defenders but if I do have the right place, not many customers.

I have seen many disable persons carried up stairs in wheelchairs so not really an issue.  sitting across from sugarbaby once, there were about 6 wheelchairs going by girls invited them in and the bouncers carried each chair up the sevearl steps out front.  Not sure where they put them but that was kind of cool.  I have helped many a wheelchair guy up the curb and most places will

3 hours ago, ingo67 said:

I agree 100%. Just about any city or town in the world prone to flooding, shops are built somewhat above street level. If that one step at GASCO is going to cause anyone a problem due to a disability, that person would have a much bigger problem navigating Soi Bukhao.

Evil

The chicken Parmigiana Sandwich is top notch too if you are a chicken lover you won't be disappointed.

Don't underestimate the size of the sandwiches, you will be full very quickly !

Archived