IGNORED

American Sandwich Soi Buakhow

4 hours ago, WhiteThai said:

I also like mine with Sauerkraut, and just because the kraut wasn't invented in the u.s. doesn't mean it's not American. I've had a Kraut dog off the carts in NYC, to me that's as American as you can get.

Yup, German immigrants began selling hot dogs with sauerkraut on the streets of Manhattan in the 1860s and they have continued to be popular in NYC for 150 years.  Hot dogs with sauerkraut are as American as violence and cherry pie, not to mention pizza, chow mein and chilli con carne.

Capture.JPG.94ac3a1fed76612284023949aaea8e1e.JPG

Other regional variations with sauerkraut include:

Capture2.JPG.f694c25c7bdfe59b6566a61c4f59c5ba.JPG

Capture3.JPG.be24984d350d6caf95d042fbdc07236b.JPG

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Yup, German immigrants began selling hot dogs with sauerkraut on the streets of Manhattan in the 1860s and they have continued to be popular in NYC for 150 years.  Hot dogs with sauerkraut are as American as violence and cherry pie, not to mention pizza, chow mein and chilli con carne.

Capture3.JPG.be24984d350d6caf95d042fbdc07236b.JPG

Evil

And a Milwaukee brat if done right is cooked in beer. Can't say I ever saw them served on a toasted hard roll, but always on a brat bun which is an over sized hot dog bun.

Interesting. I've lived in 10 different cities in the U.S. and I've never seen a hot dog with sauerkraut on it. On bratwurst, yes, that's very common, but never on a hot dog.

18 hours ago, WhiteThai said:

I also like mine with Sauerkraut, and just because the kraut wasn't invented in the u.s. doesn't mean it's not American. I've had a Kraut dog off the carts in NYC, to me that's as American as you can get.

Have you ever thought about adding Corned beef, pastrami or roast beef to your menu? I would pay good money to get a corned beef on rye, with a pickle on the side. :GrinNod1:

Corned beef, pastrami or roast beef YES I 2nd the motion ! Especially a high grade corned beef --- yes please consider this !

17 hours ago, Pattaya_Brian said:

Interesting. I've lived in 10 different cities in the U.S. and I've never seen a hot dog with sauerkraut on it. On bratwurst, yes, that's very common, but never on a hot dog.

you never lived in jersey or new york then

2 minutes ago, just hanging said:

you never lived in jersey or new york then

Or Milwaukee. But then Milwaukee has a large population of German immigrants.

21 hours ago, Pattaya_Brian said:

The quintessential New York-style dog is the pushcart hot dog with a boiled frankfurter,  sauerkraut and spicy mustard.  More than 5,000 pushcarts still operate in the city, with estimates of the number of hot dogs sold in the millions.

Capturexx.JPG.a995d1b14fe78c1c44397db9fd53423f.JPG

The same hot dog is also a classic at Jewish-style delis throughout the northeastern U.S. and the rest of the country.  Traditionally New York-style hot dogs have been offered at baseball parks  since the 1890s, but the popularity of sauerkraut has declined in the past 50 years except in the Northeast and some parts of the Midwest.

Capturevvv.JPG.b7696727049a83af9de4723c66af2b85.JPG

I can remember in elementary school, hot dogs with sauerkraut were sometimes the school lunch.  Sauerkraut is high in Vitamin C and a lesser source of Vitamin K.  It also contains  beneficial lactobacillus bacteria, more than live yogurt. A boiled hot dog with sauerkraut is actually one of the healthier "junk foods."

Evil

23 hours ago, Pattaya_Brian said:

Hmm....every 7-11 I've been in sells their Big Bite hot dogs and the toppings tray includes sauerkraut. Damn, I miss getting hot dogs from there loaded up with chili, cheese, kraut, relish, and mustard. Always regretted it afterwards, but I did enjoy eating them.

On Thu Sep 14 2017 at 08:42, WhiteThai said:

Have you ever thought about adding Corned beef, pastrami or roast beef to your menu? I would pay good money to get a corned beef on rye, with a pickle on the side. :GrinNod1:

We have been trying to secure a supply of corned beef or pastrami as we would like to do a Reuben and a pastrami on rye. So far the 2 suppliers that we have negotiated with have not come through. Either of these 2 sandwiches were going to be our first special.. We'll and a tuna melt to add a different selection to the menu.. 

It is still on our agenda and we will be persistent in trying to get a supply but beef isn't easy to get quality over here sometimes. We would prefer to use our current supplier as he always has top quality. All I can say is I hope it will be worth the wait.. And thanks for the suggestion and interest.. 

To be honest that frankfurter is delicious a real quality snag with great smokey flavor... I'll plead with Dave to consider doing one with saurkraut and mustard.... Maybe with a slice of bacon. Bacon goes with everything... 8)

Pastrami on rye,  corned beef Reuben and French dip are all excellent sandwiches, but I imagine they would be difficult and expensive to recreate in Pattaya.  The quality of the meat is decisive in all three.  Moreover, the Reuben needs fresh sauerkraut, quality rye bread, Swiss cheese and a kosher dill pickle, which I doubt would be easy to find at a reasonable price in Pattaya.  

Here's what the Reuben looks like at Katz' Deli in NYC:

Katz.jpg.660b4796a84713f387805aa30266e307.jpg

French dip builds on very thin slices of roast beef, which again isn't cheap in Thailand.

French-dipa.jpg.4b748dfc76dce082722ff212eb6c607f.jpg

There's not much wiggle room when it comes to these sandwiches.  Like the little girl with a curl in the middle of her forehead, when they are good, they are very, very good, but when they are bad, they are horrid.

While I would love to see any or all of them on GASCO's menu, we have to keep in mind they are U.S. specialty sandwiches.  I'm not sure how popular they'd be with people from anywhere but the U.S. and maybe Canada.

Evil

What I would really love is a good Italian Sub. But as with many favorites, it would be much more expensive here than in the States.

21 minutes ago, Kreggerz said:

Fried shrimp po' boy? 

Not an expert on those but it seems fried shrimp would be easy here but the bread and the Rémoulade sauce would be trickier. 

Now THAT'S a potential winner.  A shrimp po' boy can be made with either battered or unbattered shrimp.

Shrimp-Po-Boy.jpg.bf5024dae36c5dccec303260c70997d1.jpg

shrimppoboya.jpg.43f019bde86f21ac8085278305bcdc33.jpg

Yep, I agree with Evil. A French Dip would be nearly impossible to pull off consistently in Thailand. 

The au jus is where French Dip sandwiches usually fail in America. That would be the easy part in Thailand.

Where I disagree with Evil is his semi-assumption that they might not be popular with people who are not from North America. Anybody who eats a very good French Dip with a very good au jus and doesn't like it should be tortured and hung. LOL.

I don't think you should attempt the beef sandwiches, just look at the former Pastrami on Rye. They put out quality product and couldn't stay in business due to most visitors/expats in Pattaya not willing to pay that premium price for a quality sandwich. 

I can dig the Shrimp Po Boy as a monthly special, I'd definitely order a few if I was town. Since we're all throwing out suggestions I'll add two of my absolute favorites that I believe would be viable for Pattaya due to necessary ingredients being readily available. 

You could do a Classics of New Orleans advertorial, just rotate cities every few months when needed. 

And now I give you my #1 most favorite sandwich to enjoy and an New Orleans Classic the Muffuletta.

Muffuletta.jpg.98a38c4f3bac895641e54ea94fcbc333.jpg

Followed closely by the Monte Cristo. 

59bd6df738e23_MonteCristo.thumb.jpg.20a862b67016ed0c1f3110e049dd9325.jpg

Anyways just some friendly suggestions Ferral, I enjoy GASCO and keep up the good work. 

Yeah, probably right about the beef in Thailand thing.

On the shrimp po boy, people would generally expect fried shrimp. 

People wanting a boiled shrimp sandwich can find them at local Scandinavian restaurants. 

Muffulettas are great but would be a lot of effort to do well, and I'd be skeptical this place could pull it off. 

Great suggestions, shrimp PO-boy, muffaleta. Tuna melt is a good idea also, maybe it won't be your best seller but sometimes we're in the mood for something a little lighter or more healthy. 

the guys who point out the issues in both the marketing side and the supply-side with (my dream) the corned beef, pastrami, Reuben's  and the like -- you probably have a good point. Somehow just hoping that Gascos location and Gascos management can succeed, where Pastrami & Rye valiantly failed in the end. 

• 3 weeks later...
I ate at this restaurant quite a few times in the last week with friends and not one of us complained about the meal. We all had different sandwiches that were both filling and tasty. So please keep up the good work and will definitely be back next time in town. 

P.s I also hope the gorgeous waitress will still be there  

I also just ate there and my meal was delicious. Keep up the good work, I’ll definitely be back to try the rib sandwich :)

On 9/17/2017 at 01:35, Marcus85 said:

I don't think you should attempt the beef sandwiches, just look at the former Pastrami on Rye. They put out quality product and couldn't stay in business due to most visitors/expats in Pattaya not willing to pay that premium price for a quality sandwich. 

I can dig the Shrimp Po Boy as a monthly special, I'd definitely order a few if I was town. Since we're all throwing out suggestions I'll add two of my absolute favorites that I believe would be viable for Pattaya due to necessary ingredients being readily available. 

You could do a Classics of New Orleans advertorial, just rotate cities every few months when needed. 

And now I give you my #1 most favorite sandwich to enjoy and an New Orleans Classic the Muffuletta.

Muffuletta.jpg.98a38c4f3bac895641e54ea94fcbc333.jpg

Followed closely by the Monte Cristo. 

59bd6df738e23_MonteCristo.thumb.jpg.20a862b67016ed0c1f3110e049dd9325.jpg

Anyways just some friendly suggestions Ferral, I enjoy GASCO and keep up the good work. 

I love monte crisco, never see it here

21317824_1477152702363932_8046249763303735984_n.jpg.62f1061459b2926f4619666a5c70a745.jpg

I had one of the October specials at GASCO, the pizza steak hoagie.

IMG_0060.jpg.f288f5e26c7a450f867ed14b7fccd330.jpg

It was a sizeable sandwich, certainly enough for lunch or dinner.

IMG_0061.jpg.817cf693e41cc374f259401c645c5b53.jpg

A generous amount of sliced steak had been fried with onions and sweet peppers, mixed with pizza sauce and topped with mozzarrella and a bit of cheddar cheese. 

IMG_0064.jpg.9cd633c6bba35dab737452417ad02952.jpg

The hoagie roll was fresh and close in texture to the hoagie rolls from Amoroso's Baking Company in Philadelphia. The traditional hoagie roll is light and airy on the inside, but with a thin, firm crust.  The bread soaks up the juices from the filling while the crust acts as a barrier against the juices leaking.

With an abundance of mozzarrella and sliced steak,  I liked the pizza steak hoagie a lot.  I just wish the cook had gone a bit heavier on the oregano so it had had more of a pizza flavor.

Bottom line:  I'll be back before the month is out to have another.  I also want to try the tuna sub, but that's more of a take-away sandwich.

Evil

23a.jpg.d12fc9e6e318a1beb7a1df83ed345559.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

really impressed with GASCO ate there 4 times in the last week everytime tried something new and was very good. Burger was excellent philly cheese delicious I hope to cross most of them off before I leave. Owner is very friendly and gives good suggestions and answers all your questions...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived