IGNORED

Business Class Fares & Offers

davidge

12 minutes ago, cheetzie said:

Always log on via my account at Sinbad but the website is this:

https://www.omanair.com/uk/en

Yes, thanks. I keep on getting wrong format errors and all I’m doing is entering my name and ff number.

I couldn’t choose seats either.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

4 hours ago, davidge said:

I automatically join the ff of anyone I fly with now. One thing, how do you find the Oman website? I keep on getting errors.

I tried booking with them about 9 months ago and kept getting ‘wrong format’ errors when putting in my details. I’ve got the same problem this time when trying to enter the ff number.

I use an iPad so don’t know if the website isn’t compatible? Very frustrating.

Check their Codeshare partners, as well, as you may be able to credit the miles to someone else that you fly. 

When I flew China Southern years ago, I had the miles credited to my Korean Air account.

I am flying Hainan Airlines early next month (short hop from HAK to BKK).  They are a partner of Alaska Airlines, so I credited the miles from that flight to Alaska (hopefully - never sure it works until the miles actually post!).  I don't fly Alaska much, but their mile program is GREAT for booking Cathay or JAL from LAX. 

6 hours ago, cheetzie said:

Always log on via my account at Sinbad but the website is this:

https://www.omanair.com/uk/en

Just had a quick look for Songkran. Leaving 17 April back 2 May. Price came up at £1058 and as it said sale thought I'd get it booked then I realised it's outward journey only, flight back £2700 so £3800 return. 

Back to the drawing board 

2 hours ago, bigbadbaz said:

Just had a quick look for Songkran. Leaving 17 April back 2 May. Price came up at £1058 and as it said sale thought I'd get it booked then I realised it's outward journey only, flight back £2700 so £3800 return. 

Back to the drawing board 

Assuming your flying from LHR, Etihad are showing £1681 from 16th April to 3rd May, £2,107 on your exact dates).

EgyptAir (Who?!?) are £1,777 on your dates 

Edited by JB300

8 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Check their Codeshare partners, as well, as you may be able to credit the miles to someone else that you fly. 

When I flew China Southern years ago, I had the miles credited to my Korean Air account.

I am flying Hainan Airlines early next month (short hop from HAK to BKK).  They are a partner of Alaska Airlines, so I credited the miles from that flight to Alaska (hopefully - never sure it works until the miles actually post!).  I don't fly Alaska much, but their mile program is GREAT for booking Cathay or JAL from LAX. 

Thanks. With Star Alliance I always use my Thai account. With others, tbh, I find it too complicated to work out! eg OneWorld do I use Qatar or BA ff? I won’t fly with BA again - at least until the refitting of Biz is complete - but the points they gave me when I told them how shitty they were will cover a few nights in a LHR hotel. I used the Qatar ff for my current flights.

Next flight is with Oman and I don’t think they have any partners anyway.

18 minutes ago, davidge said:

Thanks. With Star Alliance I always use my Thai account. With others, tbh, I find it too complicated to work out! eg OneWorld do I use Qatar or BA ff? I won’t fly with BA again - at least until the refitting of Biz is complete - but the points they gave me when I told them how shitty they were will cover a few nights in a LHR hotel. I used the Qatar ff for my current flights.

Next flight is with Oman and I don’t think they have any partners anyway.

Good blog post on Oman:   https://onemileatatime.com/oman-air-elite-status/

He notes that Etihad is an option, although you may be best going with Oman -- the annual upgrade certificates sound sweet!

5 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Good blog post on Oman:   https://onemileatatime.com/oman-air-elite-status/

He notes that Etihad is an option, although you may be best going with Oman -- the annual upgrade certificates sound sweet!

Looks like with the cheapest Biz fare I’d need 2 returns a year for Silver and 4 for Gold. So, I’d maybe get to Silver. Can’t really see any non-flight reward options?? Looks like I could get a one-leg upgrade to First if I flew twice a year.

6 minutes ago, petermik said:

Quatar Bis class BKK/MAN out 8th April return 20th 16000 baht

Are you sure that isn’t 76000?

7 minutes ago, davidge said:

I was looking at 63,000 early March... 

13 hours ago, davidge said:

No my friend booked it on saturday....oops my mistake...£1,600 UK pounds

:WhoSaw1:

• Like 1

Looking from advice from you more seasoned travelers please.

I can fly first class in the USA with United Airlines from my home city to Chicago, fly business class to Hong Kong/Peking/Shanghai and on to Bangkok business class using United Airlines 180,000 points.

Longest flight is 787 Dreamliner Polaris. Thai Air business into Bangkok. Total time about 25 hours.

Thoughts on point value/better option, preference on connecting airport, etc

56 minutes ago, Whooah said:

I can fly first class in the USA with United Airlines from my home city to Chicago, fly business class to Hong Kong/Peking/Shanghai and on to Bangkok business class using United Airlines 180,000 points.

Longest flight is 787 Dreamliner Polaris. Thai Air business into Bangkok. Total time about 25 hours.

Is that the RT award rate? 

If not, it sounds like a very bad deal to me -- I was booked for 90,000 United miles on EVA in biz class, LAX-TPE-BKK (had to cancel and re-deposit the miles when a business trip came up).

If it IS the RT fare and you have the United miles, I would go for it!  United's Polaris business class is reportedly very good. 

I don't know when you are looking at going, but I pulled some random dates in May, and the RT fares came back in the $6,000+ range (as the lowest fares).   That would mean you are getting between 3.5 and 4 cents per mile "return."  Most bloggers value United miles at 1.5 cents or less, and United just ran a promotion at the end of 2019 where you could buy miles for a little over 2 cents each.  At those rates, getting 3.5 to 4 cents in value is a good deal.

Caveat: you can find better deals (i.e., business class for fewer miles) for awards using other carriers (especially Alaska), but, if you have a warchest of United miles, you cannot transfer them to those other programs, so it's really moot.

Even with the political issues there, I would choose HKG as a connection over Beijing or Shanghai (unless you want to build in a layover to see one of those cities).  HKG is a very nice, modern airport, with lots of lounges and it is very easy to find your way around.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whooah said:

United calls all their business class Polaris, BUT not all aircraft have the new Polaris seats. The 787-10 all have them, but the -8 and -9 don’t. More info here link. The seats on the 777-300ER are supposed to be better (wider) than 787’s. I flew on the former this past summer between EWR-HKG. It was fine. Honestly, better than Cathay Pacific business at this point. Polaris lounge was nice, too.

As @Luv2Phuket mentioned above 180K is fine for RT and connect in HKG.

Well, the 180k points on United was one way! Way too much at 360k round trip.

In searching for business class on reputable airlines I came across a good deal and booked. Qatar business class Chicago to Bangkok $2800 and three of four round trip segments I have Qsuite!

Pretty happy with this.

Used United ff points to get to Chicago.

So my newbie trip is now booked for October!

Thanks to all here who helped navigate the complex world of transportation!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Booked Swiss Business class companion fares LHR to BKK via Zurich for £1150 return.

Not sure of other availability, but worked on our dates. Booked for 5 people, going out on seperate days, 3 then 2, all returning same flights.

Not sure about Swiss, but Ok with price  

53 minutes ago, hammerman said:

Booked Swiss Business class companion fares LHR to BKK via Zurich for £1150 return.

Not sure of other availability, but worked on our dates. Booked for 5 people, going out on seperate days, 3 then 2, all returning same flights.

Swiss are supposed to be good,however your first flight will be in European business which is rubbish albiet a short flight

href="/monthly_10_2009/post-1-125681518559.png">post-1-125681518559.png

Some cheap flights out of Oslo in the Summer.

Air China, yes I know, at just over £1000 but it is a three flight trip via Stockholm and Beijing.

Both Qatar and Finnair are under £1300. Qatar more luxurious but Finnair are faster.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2020 at 16:40, hammerman said:

what dates are you booking for ? cannot seem to find anything at mo less than £1800 usually fly with GulfAir

On 08/02/2020 at 07:04, thinkingallowed said:

Some cheap flights out of Oslo in the Summer.

Air China, yes I know, at just over £1000 but it is a three flight trip via Stockholm and Beijing.

Both Qatar and Finnair are under £1300. Qatar more luxurious but Finnair are faster.

what dates have you seen these flight?  struggling at mo to find anything decent 

8 hours ago, T-T-T said:

what dates have you seen these flight?  struggling at mo to find anything decent 

The Qatar price is regularly available. Just checked 20/7 to 04/8 and both QR and Finnair are available.

A couple of weeks ago in the summer I could find OSL to SIN for just over £1000 but can't find them again, Qatar 

Edited by thinkingallowed

On 09/02/2020 at 13:34, T-T-T said:

what dates are you booking for ? cannot seem to find anything at mo less than £1800 usually fly with GulfAir

We booked 3 on 17th Sep 2 on 18th. Emphasise they are companion fares 2+ travellers, enter 1 traveller on search and price will not show.

On 06/02/2020 at 17:35, gmoule said:

Swiss are supposed to be good,however your first flight will be in European business which is rubbish albiet a short flight

Aware of the pitfalls of euro business, but still get the luggage, lounges and at £1150 I can put up with the 2 x 90 minute flights.

Also flight timings are good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hammerman said:

Aware of the pitfalls of euro business, but still get the luggage, lounges and at £1150 I can put up with the 2 x 90 minute flights.

Also flight timings are good.

Thanks all for your help.  ,  I have flown via the European route and middle east routes. I can put up with the so called business actually economy with empty seat  and a nicer sandwich for a few hours.  As long as a get a decent sleep for most of the trip.