IGNORED

Business Class Fares & Offers

davidge

On 22/02/2024 at 00:50, Bira said:

Was it on an A321? I also flew on Philippine Airlines MNL BKK in Biz class. Excellent service and food. Really enjoyed that flight.

I will prefer to avoid flying on Thai when given the choice of another airline. 

I don't think so. It seemed to be a bigger aircraft, much wider than the A 320 - but I'm no expert on commercial aircraft !!

On 21/02/2024 at 10:00, penboy said:

Air France and KLM appear to have started using re-fitted BC cabins. Has anyone used them recently? 

Are KLM/Schipol still to be avoided?

On 21/02/2024 at 10:40, davidge said:

There are still some issues with AMS due to restrictions on flight numbers etc and KLM do still cancel the U.K. flights and reroute or put people on a flight with longer stopover, though it doesn’t seem as common as 12 months ago.

As well as refitting their Business Class cabins, KLM are also adding brand new Premium Economy (Premium Comfort) sections.

I had Premium Economy to BKK and Business Class seats booked on the return journey with KLM recently. My outward flight was cancelled within 48 hours of departure due to poor weather forecast. The most suitable available alternative meant I had only 6 hours notice before leaving my house at midnight to give me enough time to reach the airport for a very early morning flight. Not ideal considering I still hadn't packed and I was already under pressure trying to clear up my work. Thankfully I have an understanding boss! It also meant I had an extra, albeit unscheduled, day in Pattaya, so not all bad! Thankfully there wasn't a guest occupying my condo room so I was able to check in a day early.

As the rescheduled flight to BKK was fully booked I was downgraded from Premium Comfort to Economy. Despite further weather warnings in AMS ahead of my return, these flights subsequently went ahead without further disruption. However the plane departing BKK was changed at the last minute from a 777-300 to a non refitted 777-200, meaning Business seats were in a 2-2-2 configuration rather than 1-2-1. Since KLM operate both 777-300s and 777-200s on the AMS to BKK route, it's currently a lucky dip as to whether you'll be on a plane with the refitted Business Class and the brand new Premium Economy cabins. Around 75% of the 777-300s have been refitted to date. Once these have been completed, they are due to begin refitting the 777-200s. It will likely be well into 2025 before they have all been completed.

3 hours ago, SamSpudz said:

As the rescheduled flight to BKK was fully booked I was downgraded from Premium Comfort to Economy.

Did you pay for PE? If that happened, I’d lose my shit.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jake.houston said:

Did you pay for PE? If that happened, I’d lose my shit.

I had paid extra for a PE seat. The only seat they could offer me on the new flight was an economy seat. I did get that money back when I completed a claim form after I returned home though.

In my stressed, sleep deprived state I went onto the KLM app on the journey to the airport and upgraded to what I thought was a new Premium Economy seat. When I subsequently located my seat I discovered I had inadvertently only upgraded to an Economy Comfort seat. I suppose that's what happens when you've a hundred things on your mind and you haven't slept in 36 hours lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/02/2024 at 21:49, Just Browsing said:

Has anything changed when transiting an EU airport as a Brit? I'm assuming not as I'm not entering the EU, but it seems there are sometimes different rules when travelling from Thailand (am thinking Helsinki, when I travelled from SG I got off the plane & my next flight was at the next gate, when travelling from Bangkok I had to go through security). 

I had the same experience when flying Lufthansa via Munich. 

The explanation was that they don't trust the Thais to do the security check properly. 

• Like 1

IMPORTANT: the new BA routes to Bangkok and KL became bookable a few minutes ago. Move quickly if you want business class Avios seats for Christmas or Feb half term.

Apologies if it has been posted elsewhere

• Like 1

It's a thankless task right now trying to get a good deal on Bus class flights. Taking a trip in May for a couple of week and even premium economy is steep from Lon to BKK.

On 19/02/2024 at 14:27, ChiFlyer said:

We are planning a trip to the US from BKK in September, providing we can get a visa for the Mrs.

I travel Business Class these days. I can afford it, barely. My old bones need this at this time in my life.

Anyway, looking out at September the Qatar Business Class prices to/from ORD are comparatively very attractive. Anyone flown Business with them?

Only just seen the post. I’ve used Qatar twice and they were excellent. Service on board top notch.

They have various different planes with different layouts and a reputation of changing equipment at the last minute so be aware of that. Being ‘Qatared’ is now a well known phrase amongst frequent flyers ie you book a flight with Q-Suites but the plane ends up being the old 2-2-2 formation. This happened to me on my last flight out of BKK.

I actually don’t mind the old formation too much as long as I know in advance and can choose my seat to match the layout. They use Dreamliners on some routes and I absolutely love the layout on those.

One thing to note is that the lowest of their 4 Biz fare categories does not include lounge access and the two lowest categories don’t allow free seat selection until online check-in. There is usually very little difference in fare between the bottom 2 so I make sure I have lounge access.

The lounge in BKK is excellent, the best I’ve been in there. The main one in Doha is large and luxurious but very, very busy. There is another lounge in the ‘C’ gate satellite which is quieter and very good.

I’m always very happy to fly with Qatar if the fares are ok.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

18 minutes ago, Hamchang said:

It's a thankless task right now trying to get a good deal on Bus class flights. Taking a trip in May for a couple of week and even premium economy is steep from Lon to BKK.

I put a random 2 week trip in May into Kayak and got Gulf for just over £2000 biz return and Etihad just over £2100. Booking direct with airlines, a bit cheaper with some agents. Ok connections as well (2-4 hours)

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/03/2024 at 21:40, davidge said:

I put a random 2 week trip in May into Kayak and got Gulf for just over £2000 biz return and Etihad just over £2100. Booking direct with airlines, a bit cheaper with some agents. Ok connections as well (2-4 hours)

I paid 1500 for a EY ticket in June, CPH-LHR-AUH-BKK. Since I will commence my trip from LON it requires a quick flight to CPH, I got myself a cheap lowcost one. I wont use the last leg of the ticket (Hand-luggage only).

Thats Etihads Cheapest Business class fare. Not ideal, long stopover on the way there, but Ill use that for two nights in Dubai (50 minutes with a free bus from AUH).

Air China had some good deals recently too. Stopover in PEK. Hard product pretty decent soft one hit and miss.

Never understood what makes some swear loyalty to TG. Older staff and far from the best catering in my humble opinion, also a hard product that is dated.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/04/2024 at 09:57, Sean303 said:

Never understood what makes some swear loyalty to TG. Older staff and far from the best catering in my humble opinion, also a hard product that is dated.

Not a fan of TG myself however for direct flights its them, Eva or BA now. I am prepared to pay 500 quid to not transfer but the trade off it mostly shittier cabins. Binned my trip in June now so off in crazy prize time in December instead so lubing up to get some of this action from the airlines  :A2M:

• 2 weeks later...

So for my trip in December flights are quite high. Ethiopian are doing Bus Gatwick to BKK for £1870 on 8th Dec returning 2nd Jan. Return flight has an 18 hour stay in addis which they give you a hotel for. Very tempted as there is a full day in to see the city that I doubt I would go to otherwise. Problem is though their 2 2 2 seating meaning no privacy on the flight. 

I've booked etihad for June it was 2280 from heathrow Austrian and Swiss were about 2k,it sure is harder now getting a good deal,etihad have also changed a lot of their a380 to 787 so a big reduction in capacity and comfort 

href="/monthly_10_2009/post-1-125681518559.png">post-1-125681518559.png

8 hours ago, gmoule said:

I've booked etihad for June it was 2280 from heathrow Austrian and Swiss were about 2k,it sure is harder now getting a good deal,etihad have also changed a lot of their a380 to 787 so a big reduction in capacity and comfort 

Last week I did a quick check for my dates next month just to see and Etihad did show at not much over £2000. Not bad for short notice, I guess bookings can’t be very high.

I have taken an Etihad option for late October, just over £2200 booked direct with Etihad, flying from LHR, night time flights in both directions with short stopovers, 3 x 787s and 1 x A380. Even number seats face forward and Odd backwards if that affects your seat selection. New terminal and lounge in AUH should make those stays acceptable, plus Etihad only lounge in Terminal 4. Also they are linked with Air France/Skyteam without being a member, so I am collecting points and status along the way. 

41 minutes ago, hammerman said:

I have taken an Etihad option for late October, just over £2200 booked direct with Etihad, flying from LHR, night time flights in both directions with short stopovers, 3 x 787s and 1 x A380. Even number seats face forward and Odd backwards if that affects your seat selection. New terminal and lounge in AUH should make those stays acceptable, plus Etihad only lounge in Terminal 4. Also they are linked with Air France/Skyteam without being a member, so I am collecting points and status along the way. 

Bit the bullet and went TG for £2.5k LHR, get on plane, sleep and wake up in Thailand! 

22 minutes ago, Yogi007 said:

Bit the bullet and went TG for £2.5k LHR, get on plane, sleep and wake up in Thailand! 

Was that booking direct with Thai? I’ve seen a lot of fares with them around that price but only with agents.

8 minutes ago, davidge said:

Was that booking direct with Thai? I’ve seen a lot of fares with them around that price but only with agents.

Yep Thai, booked via Skyscanner.net then chose booking.com as the provider

44 minutes ago, Yogi007 said:

Yep Thai, booked via Skyscanner.net then chose booking.com as the provider

So, through an agent. Thanks. Thai seem to be only giving good fares through agents at the moment from what I’ve seen.

1 hour ago, davidge said:

So, through an agent. Thanks. Thai seem to be only giving good fares through agents at the moment from what I’ve seen.

When you said agent, I thought of the old fashion travel agent on a high street. 

4 hours ago, Yogi007 said:

When you said agent, I thought of the old fashion travel agent on a high street. 

No problem.

Took me ages to get a refund for a Covid cancelled flight as airline and agent kept blaming each other for delay. I try to just book direct with airlines now but Thai really aren’t giving good fares on their website.

4 minutes ago, davidge said:

No problem.

Took me ages to get a refund for a Covid cancelled flight as airline and agent kept blaming each other for delay. I try to just book direct with airlines now but Thai really aren’t giving good fares on their website.

Yeh true that is always a risk, I try to use well known providers like expedia, booking.com and purposely avoid some for that very reason.