IGNORED

Business Class Fares & Offers

davidge

I know most BM's look for good Economy fares, but a few of us slightly older, slightly decrepit gentlemen (and some rich f*+$€#s) now fly in Business Class.

I didn't find it easy finding out about decent fares when I first joined the board, so thought I'd share what little I've picked up.

Hopefully, other BM's will post offers they find.

I'll be quoting fares from LHR to BKK, as it's the closest airport to me (I don't count Cardiff as the only option is via Amsterdam on a tiny plane!)

So, for various times during 2015 I've found the following (I'll round to nearest £50):

Biman Bangladesh £1150 - very long stopovers, and I'd never use them but often offer this fare;

EgyptAir £1350 - usually one longish stopover for this fare, but not always. Available for many dates. Old-style Business Class. Really can't see me using them;

KLM/China Air £1700 - fare varies, can be cheaper but not often. KLM to Amsterdam. NOT proper Business Class seats on this flight. Available from many regional airports;

Qatar £1750 - offering this fare on many dates through 2015. Been reduced to this recently;

Malaysia £1800 - sometimes cheaper. Usually the cheapest of the non-cheapo airlines but not cheap enough for me to consider using them;

Around £1900 - Emirates, Oman, Royal Jordanian, EVA (cheapest direct);

BA - £1950;

Thai - £2400.

There are many others! FinnAir, Sri Lanka, Air India can have offers. Fares between £1600 and £2000.

Fares are starting to come down with the oil price but not by the same proportion as some Economy fares.

At the moment, I'm still looking at EVA direct as the best flight. If one of the other 'decent' airlines were 20-25% cheaper than them I could change my mind.

If you find better fares please let me know!

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Worth considering Birmingham from you surely matey.

My tip stick with one Airline to gain status and rack points sign up and join FFP if you not going to stick with one as you get alerts to special offers BA does good ones few time a year.

Biz in may return Manchester Bangers 1850 for me and just sourcing September now about say price.

Also see about airline CC that give points as in Avios etc

Ghosty

I had a look on Royal Brunei and not much change out of 2800 from LHR!

Yes but I bet that is a seriously nice seat? 

Heathrow is easier to drive to. If using public transport, MUCH easier.

Under 3 hours to terminal usually when driving. Although Birmingham is about 20 miles closer, more hassle to get there.

Yes, I'm a member of Star Alliance. I joined through Thai as I'm not likely to fly enough to get a free long haul flight. At least now I can use the points for internal flights or hotel in Bangkok if they're going to expire.

I'll see how I find EVA in June before booking for December. I'm 'almost' tempted by EgyptAir as the difference would pay for the condo!

Used them once, in Economy (sheep testicles for lunch:-), and can't really face Cairo again.

Yes but I bet that is a seriously nice seat? 

I can't speak for that flight, but the times I have flown with the from Melbourne (Aud1700) their seats where on par with Garuda Air and not in Emirates league!

opodo via skyscanner

KLM + China Airlines

Depart flight
09:40
BHX
06:55
BKK
1 stop AMS
15h 15 (+1)
Return flight
01:50
BKK
12:35

16 45

Am booked on this route in Feb    also in june

£ 1283  

Edited by sang som mick

Thanks for that.

I have seriously considered KLM/China Air from Cardiff. Sometimes found it at around the £1250 or so you're quoting. Much easier driving to Cardiff, and KLM from there through AMS used to be my regular choice when I was working overseas and doing a lot of flying.

The one thing that puts me off is the plane from CWL to AMS. Small plane, walk downstairs at terminal and outside to walk up steps to the plane. No Business Class seats. What they call Business is actually a small Economy seat with slightly better food. Only one and a half hours on the plane, but still don't think I'd cope. Even if I squeezed into the seat, my back is just too buggered :-)

It's Emirates all the way for me, I book from Barcelona & paid 1500 for my flight next Tuesday with a couple of hour stop over in Dubai, fingpd their FF scheme gets you up the levels quicker & more choice on flights than the likes of BA

• Like 2

Davidge   cardif flights  £ 1297

longer layovers in AMS   .

If you book via opodo ,after booking there is a link that lets you choose your KLM seat .

On the fokker 70  its  AB --CDE    B or C are aisle so easy to stretch out a bit

Yes. There's 4 or 5 rows at the front. The seats are only 17 inches wide though! Same legroom as Economy as well - 31 inches. Front row is no good - bulkhead. I wish I could be sure I could cope with it!

They are using a different plane on one flight from CWL now - Embraer E-190. Know nothing about it. Same seat width, unfortunately, but slightly more legroom and they recline.

I always used to enjoy the route. Schipol is a decent airport and I could pick up cheap cigs for mother on way back :-)

The Welsh Government have bought CWL now and are trying to attract a long haul airline. Don't know if they'll be successful. It would be nice if someone like Emirates starting flying from it!

For now, I think I'm stuck with LHR and flying direct. I'll see what fares are like next December and consider options.

Yes. There's 4 or 5 rows at the front. The seats are only 17 inches wide though! Same legroom as Economy as well - 31 inches. Front row is no good - bulkhead. I wish I could be sure I could cope with it!

I was 'lucky' to be booked on the front rows for my last 4 emirates flights - in economy! they are not good seats and I couldn't stretch out because of the partition wall in front. 

Qatar seem to be offering some cheap flights at the moment. I got economy, from manchester, with short stopovers for £425. Cheapest in years.

Don't know about biz class prices.

Because of the bulkhead, the front row on the KLM has the meal tray in the armrest. This means the armrest won't move up as on the other seats.

if you have around 30,000 miles look to book premium and upgrade with miles with BA ( You can also purchase the miles you need , and collect them through the BA Amex card , sometimes they have offers on )

last trip i paid £1,180 to travel Business , booked during one of their sales

you didn't mention Etihad , they sometimes have good deals on and the service is fantastic

Thai , when I last flew with them , didn't have proper flat beds

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

I'll see how I find EVA in June before booking for December. I'm 'almost' tempted by EgyptAir as the difference would pay for the condo!

Used them once, in Economy (sheep testicles for lunch:-), and can't really face Cairo again.

EVA are great , choose the Single windows seats , you also have Aisle access , you can also preorder your meal , with some selections not available on the flight

Thanks for the advice on EVA. I'll check for that before my flight.

I'm not keen on BA. I guess the Business Class would be OK though. Last time I checked on their frequent flyer scheme, it was never going to give me much back! At least with Star Alliance I can use my points in Thailand. I'm not likely to do more than 2 flights a year for the foreseeable future, maybe only 1 in some years, so am not going to shoot up the frequent flyer schemes :-)

I've ruled out Etihad after the recent experience a friend had with cancelled flights. The on-time record of their Bangkok flights is also very poor.

You're right about Thai, at least according to SeatGuru. They still have the 'old' planes without flatbed.

I thought EVA had switched to Royal Laurel on all the LHR flights (with your own 'pod' thingy) but SeatGuru isn't showing that yet??

Thanks again.

I think both etihad and emirates are best bets at the moment,fares LHR-BKK  17-1800 pounds in the sale,even cheaper if you shop around on other websites,

with both airlines you have a car included up to 100 miles from LHR and 60 kilo meters from BKK.

on my next trip im with BA direct 120.000 avios+£400 ish taxes!

If I could take advantage of the car, I'd consider Emirates. Unfortunately, I'm 180 miles from LHR and Pattaya is 120km from Swampy. It's good to know it's available though, thanks.

It would need a very good saving on the fare to get me away from flying direct, I think.

Although I joined different schemes like Avios etc, I don't really spend enough, use hotels enough etc etc to get me very far.

I don't use Credit Cards at all.

Good to see options from different people. First hand experience of different flights etc is always good to hear.

I'm usually on Etihad nowadays, but I have used Egypt Air, Gulf, Emirates and Royal Jordanian in the past. RJ have some pretty decent deals and they are operating the 787 now. Might be worth a look.

If I could take advantage of the car, I'd consider Emirates. Unfortunately, I'm 180 miles from LHR and Pattaya is 120km from Swampy. It's good to know it's available though, thanks.

It would need a very good saving on the fare to get me away from flying direct, I think.

Although I joined different schemes like Avios etc, I don't really spend enough, use hotels enough etc etc to get me very far.

I don't use Credit Cards at all.

Good to see options from different people. First hand experience of different flights etc is always good to hear.

I pretty sure you could get a train to reading & get their car to meet you there ?

Emigrates charge you 2000 bht to get to pattaya, I've booked it for necpxt week, will be interested to see the quality of their limo compared to the other ones I've had in Thailand !

apter: How were Egypt?

I am very reluctant to consider them but fares of just over £1300 have been showing up on some dates.

The £600 I'd save compared to EVA would pay for most of the Condo/hotel!

Edited by davidge

I pretty sure you could get a train to reading & get their car to meet you there ?

Emigrates charge you 2000 bht to get to pattaya, I've booked it for necpxt week, will be interested to see the quality of their limo compared to the other ones I've had in Thailand !

The train is a real bugger for me with luggage and it hardly seems worth driving part of the way! If I don't have a lift, I drive and park at LHR. In June my sister is flying from Oz to keep an eye on our parents while I'm away, so we're swapping the car over at the airport.

Be good to hear what their car to Pattaya is like.

Edited by davidge

Etihad provide a free limo service , if you are with 100 miles of Heathrow ( iirc ) also free transfer to/from Bangkok, if required .

EVA you should be able to chose your seat in advance , no need to wait

On my last trip back I was lucky enough to get upgraded to business class with Thai ( long and short of it was a problem on board and working in public transport I knew how to complain about it and how not to).

Anyway I'm 6ft6 (2m for our metric cousins) and about 125 kg.  So seat size and leg room is a big issue for me. I enjoyed the flight and would probably pay double ( so about £1100) to fly that way ( im not bothered about the poncy service and food im only interested in the seat) but not the amount extra they want ( about 5 times the normal fair)

If an airline ever introduces a class with business class seat but economy class service at a sensible price and I'll be there

Edited by magic69

BA and EVA both have premium Economy , bigger seats , more legroom , same food as Economy