IGNORED

Business Class Fares & Offers

davidge

Finnair. One way. 26500 baht.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

1 minute ago, socrates said:

I saw that - no checked in luggage no access to Lounge - the better option is 32500 baht odd

Next best I can see is Gulf. Return better value than single.

7 minutes ago, socrates said:

I saw that - no checked in luggage no access to Lounge - the better option is 32500 baht odd

Also, you can book Qatar via the BA website and get money off by using Avios.

1 minute ago, socrates said:

Cannot find any Business Class Options though - I tried that first - only Economy

I found it first search. Not searching for award flights but signing in and searching for flights. Biz was about 78000 baht but I was given the option of taking money off using Avios. It might be there’s a limit so it’s no good for you - I’m new to Avios so haven’t tried booking with them!

12 minutes ago, socrates said:

Cannot find any Business Class Options though - I tried that first - only Economy

Using ‘pay with Avios’ I do get Royal Jordanian available (longer stopover) and JAL (even longer journey time) on some dates.

RJ is 116000 Avios plus £172

2 minutes ago, davidge said:

Using ‘pay with Avios’ I do get Royal Jordanian available (longer stopover) and JAL (even longer journey time) on some dates.

RJ is 116000 Avios plus £172

I found a flight 10th December

Total amount debited from your PayPal account

£ 442.90

Total Avios debited from account

Not great - but uses up Avios - of which I have loads

Thanks for your input

I'm looking at Man - BKK with KLM. Does anyone have any experience of taking a large golf travel bag on the hopper flight to Schipol from the UK. I'm paying BC all the way (I assume) but have heard people say that the feeder flights are not really BC.

51 minutes ago, penboy said:

I'm looking at Man - BKK with KLM. Does anyone have any experience of taking a large golf travel bag on the hopper flight to Schipol from the UK. I'm paying BC all the way (I assume) but have heard people say that the feeder flights are not really BC.

From KLM Website:

You can bring a set of golfing equipment instead of an item of checked luggage without having to make a reservation. It can be up to 300 cm (length + width + height) and up to 23 kg in Economy Class or 32 kg in Business Class. Please make sure that the golf set consists only of clubs, balls, and a pair of golf shoes.

When flying Business Class, you can bring 2 items of checked luggage. Each bag can be up to 158 cm (length + width + height) including handles and wheels, with a maximum weight of 32 kg

putting MAN-BKK into their baggage allowance search also confirms this.

https://www.klm.co.uk/baggage-allowance

The seat from MAN to AMS won’t be proper Biz.

Be aware that KLM check in staff are notorious for being difficult over Thailand entry rules, not knowing what they are and wrongly trying to tell people they can’t fly. This has happened a lot at Heathrow.

11 minutes ago, davidge said:

Be aware that KLM check in staff are notorious for being difficult over Thailand entry RULES, not knowing what they are and wrongly trying to tell people they can’t fly. This has happened a lot at Heathrow.

I'd go for just under 90 days and get a SETV for 60 and then extend by another 30. I'm guessing that is the sort of thing that they would not understand or accept.

4 minutes ago, penboy said:

I'd go for just under 90 days and get a SETV for 60 and then extend by another 30. I'm guessing that is the sort of thing that they would not understand or accept.

You ‘might’ need to book a flight for 59 days then change once you’re there. I don’t know if KLM allow free changes or not?

There could be no problem but sometimes the Embassy insist on that before issuing a visa and CofE. Some KLM staff have been misunderstanding the rules on who’s allowed to enter and trying to stop tourists! Asking for marriage certificate etc. They must have rules from last year!

Looks like direct options are going to be very limited for a while.

Neither Eva nor BA are likely to be operating LHR-BKK until well into next year, so Thai is the only direct option. They’ve just announced an increase in flights from the end of this month.

Destination Frequency Days of operation from BKK
Brussels 2 x weekly Wed, Fri
Copenhagen 2 x weekly Wed, Sun
Frankfurt 4 x weekly Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun
London (Heathrow) 4 x weekly Tue, Wed, Fri, Sun
Milan (Malpensa) 2 x weekly (from Jan 1) Thu, Sat
Munich 1 x weekly (from Jan 1) Sun
Paris (CDG) 1 x weekly Sun
Stockholm 2 x weekly Tue, Thu
Zürich 1 x weekly (then 2 x weekly from Jan 1)

Mon (from Jan 1), Wed

Route Frequency Days of operation from BKK
Bangkok–Phuket–Copenhagen 1 x weekly Thu
Bangkok–Phuket–Frankfurt 3 x weekly Tue, Thu, Sat
Bangkok–Phuket–London Heathrow 3 x weekly Wed, Fri, Sun
Bangkok–Munich–Phuket–Bangkok 1 x weekly (from Jan 1) Fri
Bangkok–Phuket–Paris CDG 2 x weekly Tue, Thu
Bangkok–Phuket–Stockholm 1 x weekly Fri

Bangkok–Zürich–Phuket–Bangkok

1 x weekly

Fri

Destination Frequency Days of operation from BKK
Hong Kong 3 x weekly Wed, Fri, Sun
Jakarta 1 x weekly Wed
Manila 5 x weekly Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri, Sat
Nagoya 4 x weekly Wed, Thu, Fri, Sun
Osaka 4 x weekly Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
Seoul 7 x weekly Every day
Singapore 4 x weekly Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat
Sydney 2 x weekly Wed, Sun
Taipei 4 x weekly Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat
Tokyo Haneda 3 x weekly (from Jan 1) Tue, Thu, Sat
Tokyo Narita 4 x weekly Mon, Tue, Thu, Sat

• 2 months later...

Can anyone advise me on how to upgrade an Economy flight  - (LHR - BKK one way) to Business Class - I have 75000 miles expiring end of the year

https://www.thaiairways.com/app/rop/awards/air_awards/inter?next=2

I tried here but this seems to be using miles against an Economy flight - quoted me 42000 miles + £175 odd

TIA

• 3 months later...

Thai introducing new 777-300s on London route from the end of April which will have First, Business and 3-3-3 Economy seating.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2022/04/13/thai-airways-restores-first-class/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

With the dropping of arrival tests imminent and a faint possibility of my being able to travel for my usual June/July trip, I checked flights today.

BLOODY HELL!!!

Extortionate fares from most airlines that I might use. I much prefer direct but BA and Eva haven’t started up again yet (though I guess might by July) so Thai is the only direct option at around £3k, though I’ve seen at 2600-2700 recently (usually via Phuket)

Indirect, there are reasonable fares from Swiss/Austrian/Lufthansa group (around £1500) but it’s an Economy seat on the LHR leg and I can’t manage that even for a couple of hours (as a first visit to the theatre for 3 years recently proved!). Finnair about £1650 but again an Economy seat. Egypt under £1500 but - NO! One visit to Cairo airport more than enough.

Turkish at about £2200 is a possibility.

ME Airlines pretty horrendous. Qatar £2900, Emirates £3200, Gulf £3300, Oman £3500 etc

Singapore £3400.

I’ve just got to hope things change in the next couple of months.

• Like 3

That's the bad news that people are not talking about -- yet -- with restrictions being lifted: the demand for air travel is soaring (pun intended) and major airlines are all starting to report a return to profitability.

United Airline's stock jumped almost 10% yesterday on profit forecasts, and their CEO said that the demand for air travel is the strongest it has been in 30 years.

Hopefully the opening of Asian travel hubs like Taiwan (still closed to transit passengers) and Hong Kong (I think opened) will help, but expect to be bent over in the short term on ticket prices.

I've been looking at Business Class prices from London in July and at the moment they seem crazy. I've no idea if they will come down a bit but as Davidge says above some of the indirect options aren't great. At the moment it looks like only Thai are flying direct and they seem to be taking full advantage of their monopoly.

I'm holding off until things get better, or maybe I will have to push back my trip.

11 hours ago, davidge said:

Indirect, there are reasonable fares from Swiss/Austrian/Lufthansa group (around £1500) but it’s an Economy seat on the LHR leg ........ 

Are you 100% certain about that? 

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

I booked last week and got it for £1,550.

The first (short) leg appears to be a feeder/hopper type flight. I don't think that the seat will recline very much as it does on the 2nd leg (A350). I'm sure Davidge will explain when he comes online.

5 hours ago, Bazle said:

4 hours ago, penboy said:

I booked last week and got it for £1,550.

The first (short) leg appears to be a feeder/hopper type flight. I don't think that the seat will recline very much as it does on the 2nd leg (A350). I'm sure Davidge will explain when he comes online.

It’s a standard Economy seat (with slightly more legroom) but they leave the middle seat of the 3 empty. It will be Business Class meals and service but the seat itself is an Economy seat.

Seat width in both classes is 18”. Seat pitch in Economy is 31-32”, in Biz it’s 31-34”.

Just had a look at flights from Birmingham and Turkish showing at just under £2000.

BHX actually slightly closer to me than LHR but I’ve never flown from there.