Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Steak & Co. in Soi Lengkee (formerly China Garden)

China Garden

Still no definitive opening date yet? Well you have driven it hard so you cannot blame impatience now  :Evil_Grin2:

Chef wanted some new equipment (8 new burners and a proper fryer rather then our 2 table top ones) & the bottom half of the glass removed from the glass fronted open kitchen to make a "kitchen pass with heat lamps", I was only too happy to oblige such a professional but its added another week to the opening date,  Friday 15th August is my target date. 

Edited by China Garden

Forget "French Fries", how about hand cut, twice cooked chips served in this with Garlic Aioli & Tomato Ketchup

photo-(2).jpg

Edited by China Garden
  • Like 2

These pictures have my mouth watering - I will definitely be dropping by for a visit!

So Friday the 15th August 2014, reservations or walk-ins. Inquiring minds want to know and can I bring my photographer with me, yes she will eat as well.

Im more then happy to have pictures taken, lets have the new kitchen equipment arrive on the 7th Aug and my furniture signed off and delivered (this weekend) and I will confirm the 15th Aug.. it will be a soft opening, no marching bands ! 

More research last night, Black Angus Tomahawk steak @ Moonlight Jomtien. This was advertised as a 600 gram Steak, not the best tasting steak & a lot of fat not rendered down

Our supplier's version are 7 ribs  (steaks) @ 8.2kilo making it 1,200 Baht cut and packed...1.2 kilo each almost !!

I think these will only make our menu for "specials" , limited stock

tomma.jpg

Edited by China Garden

Forget "French Fries", how about hand cut, twice cooked chips served in this with Garlic Aioli & Tomato Ketchup

Garlic Aioli.There ya go.Now we're talking.

More research last night, Black Angus Tomahawk steak @ Moonlight Jomtien. This was advertised as a 600 gram Steak, not the best tasting steak & a lot of fat not rendered down

Our supplier's version are 7 ribs  (steaks) @ 8.2kilo making it 1,200 Baht cut and packed...1.2 kilo each almost !!

I think these will only make our menu for "specials" , limited stock

I'm in.

Hope there are no more delays as I leave on 18 August!

The best steak I had in Pattaya was at Patricks, Soi Diana. A bit pricey, but it was really great.

I will give your restaurant a try when it opens. Good luck for you, it's a hard competition.

T.

Don't let your chef scare away the man on the street. Your a restaurant in Pattaya not the west end in London. The problem about aiming for the stars is when you get there nobody can reach you to say well done.

You need to stop changing your plans and get the place open.

The average punter doesn't give a crap if you have a chef that worked with big names they only care about what's served on there first meal.

As a chef that has worked with some of the top chefs myself I am speaking from experience. Be realistic about who your core customers are gonna be and reminder that the guys come to Pattaya for the girls not the steak. If you alienate the girls by being too ponsy then the guys won't come either.

Edited by alanhass

I think that was the right decision to drop the Tex/Mex.  If you are going to be a top line steakhouse then that's what it should be and that's where the concentration should be.

We have a steakhouse where I'm from in California called Pinnacle Peak.  The menu is small and all side dishes are simple and incidental to the main attraction; big sloppy flame broiled, tender, delicious steaks.  They are cooked over a huge open flame grill where all the patrons can see them being cooked.  This restaurant is all about the steak and everything else is decoration for the steak.  It's a mid priced steakhouse.  Everything inside is rustic benches, flooring and atmosphere.  I know you are gong for a higher-end experience; I'm just describing this restaurant and how they are nothing, but a "steakhouse" with some ribs and chicken thrown in.

Here's their menu:

http://www.pinnaclepeaksteakhouse.com/Menu.html

Edited by oneday

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable sub-human who has learned to wear shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house.

Robert Heinlein

It's nice to see you want to do it right the first time, no need going half way at this moment.

Yes most people go to patts for the ladies, but always nice to have a good meal as well.

Man cannot live on bearded clam alone. From the Cave man days, meat has always been a staple.

And nice to see the side sauces for the fries.

Edited by One hung low

I have followed the thread as it's been interesting how your repositioning your business. I will drop in after you open for a meal. The 150K quoted was not a bad amount to turn your business model around IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daryle

The best steak I had in Pattaya was at Patricks, Soi Diana. A bit pricey, but it was really great.

I will give your restaurant a try when it opens. Good luck for you, it's a hard competition.

T.

Patricks use "Black Angus" and so are we, Chef Gerry tested the meat and visited the supplier and was happy with my Jack's Creek Black Angus selection, he tested it my trying to push his finger through the meat when raw to check the tenderness, I'm glad to say our meat passed with flying colours !

Don't let your chef scare away the man on the street. Your a restaurant in Pattaya not the west end in London. The problem about aiming for the stars is when you get there nobody can reach you to say well done.

You need to stop changing your plans and get the place open.

The average punter doesn't give a crap if you have a chef that worked with big names they only care about what's served on there first meal.

As a chef that has worked with some of the top chefs myself I am speaking from experience. Be realistic about who your core customers are gonna be and reminder that the guys come to Pattaya for the girls not the steak. If you alienate the girls by being too ponsy then the guys won't come either.

Agreed, having been in Pattaya 10 years I know the market. What were are going to give is your favourite dishes "done well" and a little extra layer of flavour that will balance the dish. 

I think that was the right decision to drop the Tex/Mex.  If you are going to be a top line steakhouse then that's what it should be and that's where the concentration should be.

We have a steakhouse where I'm from in California called Pinnacle Peak.  The menu is small and all side dishes are simple and incidental to the main attraction; big sloppy flame broiled, tender, delicious steaks.  They are cooked over a huge open flame grill where all the patrons can see them being cooked.  This restaurant is all about the steak and everything else is decoration for the steak.  It's a mid priced steakhouse.  Everything inside is rustic benches, flooring and atmosphere.  I know you are gong for a higher-end experience; I'm just describing this restaurant and how they are nothing, but a "steakhouse" with some ribs and chicken thrown in.

Here's their menu:

http://www.pinnaclepeaksteakhouse.com/Menu.html

Thanks for the link, our core business is plain & simple "Good Steaks" with a choice of side & sauce. I'm expecting 80% of the orders to be steaks, but there will be items such as "loin of pork with a cider cream" which after having had a great steak with us you must just give that a try next time!

It's nice to see you want to do it right the first time, no need going half way at this moment.

Yes most people go to patts for the ladies, but always nice to have a good meal as well.

Man cannot live on bearded clam alone. From the cave man days, meat has always been a staple.

And nice to see the side sauces for the fries.

Thats is, its costing me money every day we are close .... BUT Chef and I both agree we need to get it right from day 1, he's going to stand behind his food and I'm going to give him every tool he needs to make that possible. 

I have followed the thread as it's been interesting how your repositioning your business. I will drop in after you open for a meal. The 150K quoted was not a bad amount to turn your business model around IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roughly 2 million baht spent on the renovations, new furniture, training, new equipment etc etc ....  but I needed to invest & I like to do things properly... half measures bring half results. 

I'm going to be off the board for couple of days, having the weekend away in Cambodia !  Yay 

Edited by China Garden

Meet "The Bull" who will be proudly sitting on a small table at the entrance ! 

The-Bull.jpg

Now we are talking, hand cut chips, as I mentioned a while back a B1000 steak at Bighorn, and the cheapest shoestring fries normally served at McD's

You are a top operator who knows what he is doing, you will be successful in this venture I know  (don't forget hot plates as standard)

Edited by splitpin

Im more then happy to have pictures taken, lets have the new kitchen equipment arrive on the 7th Aug and my furniture signed off and delivered (this weekend) and I will confirm the 15th Aug.. it will be a soft opening, no marching bands ! 

Hasn't this place been advertising on the English language channels in Pattaya recently, or am I confusing it with another steak place on Soi Lengkee? If it has, the impression being given is that it is already open for business.

2 bad news for me.My trip ends 12th august so My plans to taste your stake are over:( and also canceling tex-mex is a disappointment because I can not find a decent mexican food in pattaya :(

Maybe if, and I am perhaps alone in this, I can equate food to Bar Girls.

10/10 looks absolutely amazing but its like shagging a corpse.

7/10 maybe not the hottest but bangs like a shit house door in a gale (yes I'm not a highbrow customer)

10/10 costs 3k and the 7/10 costs 1.5k

Which one do I go with again ?....

Style over substance, give me substance every time. 

I've read that people "eat with their eyes" I don't

Presentation is more for the ladies than men, gays excluded obviously.

If it tastes great, portion sizes are good and its a fair price then the looking nice bit is a bonus but not a reason for a repeat visit alone.

Im looking forwards to trying out your place when its open but fancy plates etc and décor are not the reason - its all about the food and the value for me.

If I get that then I will be a regular.

In the beginning was the word and the word was "In" :ThumbUp6: