IGNORED

Steak & Co. in Soi Lengkee (formerly China Garden)

China Garden

That's my understand as well (albeit from watching lots of cooking shows). I remembered a doneness test I saw once, and googled it:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/meat/activity-fingertest.html

Your right a steak can be touched to give pretty accurate reading of the doneness, our dilemma is that large thick steak will burn if left on The Grill too long without the centre temperature being achieved thus we finish them in the oven. Thats when touching the steaks becomes harder without opening the oven door repeatedly, it's then the temperature probes become useful to us. 

I just ordered these "Steak Markers" from Australia, in Thailand it pay's to take the guess work out of everything ;-)

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by China Garden

That is the way it is made in Belgium and also the way television cooks advise.

Best is also not to crush the potatoes too fine.

Egg yolks it is... we purchased a potato ricer which we pass through the potato twice for fine mash potato, we will give it a once through for the croquettes to see how it  comes out.

Thanks again for the advice.

Your right a steak can be touched to give pretty accurate reading of the doneness, our dilemma is that large thick steak will burn if left on the grill too long without the centre temperature being achieved thus we finish them in the oven. Thats when touching the steaks becomes harder without opening the oven door repeatedly, it's then the temperature probes become useful to us. 

I just ordered these "Steak Markers" from Australia, in Thailand it pay's to take the guess work out of everything ;-)

old restaurant/hotels in the Uk cooked big steaks, fillet in particular similar to your plan..

for no filet steaks,  to avoid burnign 

sear one side, sear the other  toch.. its rare

turn one more time, TURN HEAT DOWN!!!  watch for blood to rise.. as soon as.. is M R, a minute is rare

turn again, watch and touch.. wd

Filet..anyone orders a FS well done is a knobhead.  but there are many.  so sear/seal, turn.. same again.. and put in oven..  KNOW YOUR OVEN..you can still do touch test or insert a knife to check that centree isnt bloody.  its more experience than probe testing. 

the oven deal works well, we did it all the time.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Would question any chefs ability and qualification to be anywhere near a steak house if they needed a temp probe to cook a good steak. Seriously mate not a good sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would question any chefs ability and qualification to be anywhere near a steak house if they needed a temp probe to cook a good steak. Seriously mate not a good sign.

Well we only have Thai chef's, yes they were "re-trained" by a western chef from Bangkok but they don't have years of experience on The Grill. We are advertising for a Thai head-chef offering 25,000 - 30,000 Baht which is a very good salary or on par with what 5 Star hotels pay their best Thai chefs (according to Chef Gus who's worked in the top hotels in Bangkok for 7 years). We will see who applies, I have not ruled out a Western chef but wanted to avoid getting another work-permit unless absolutely necessary. 

Your business will succeed or fail depending on the quality of your steak. Do not wait until you are open to get chefs that can't cook a steak. Best beef in the world and the best equipment is a waste of cash if you can't cook. Trust me they will not be able to maintain quality by cooking with probes and they will never learn how to cook if they start using probes. Your opening a steak house so get your Thai chefs to eat, sleep and breath cooking a steak without a probe even if it means giving the results to the poor.

Throw your probes in the bin right now and don't let bad habits start.

• Like 3

BTW.

Beef is bled at the slaughter house.

The red juice that comes out when eating is myoglobin...not blood.

Everyone saying its blood is very very wrong.

Protein,water and myoglobin.

Your business will succeed or fail depending on the quality of your steak. Do not wait until you are open to get chefs that can't cook a steak. Best beef in the world and the best equipment is a waste of cash if you can't cook. Trust me they will not be able to maintain quality by cooking with probes and they will never learn how to cook if they start using probes. Your opening a steak house so get your Thai chefs to eat, sleep and breath cooking a steak without a probe even if it means giving the results to the poor.

Throw your probes in the bin right now and don't let bad habits start.

Yes I know, we are currently interviewing chefs for the senior position plus have more training planned, the current chefs have been working on the menu for 4 weeks already with at least 2 more weeks to go. We tried frozen Australian beef and it was more tender then Thai beef but still not acceptable for a Steakhouse, so we will serve only chilled Australian steaks.

Once you freeze a steak it will never be the same. Good choice to go with chilled.

Alanhass is correct about the probe. The way chefs learn here in the US is by feel. I was taught by using the palm of my hand to see what well done and medium feels like. Why not start with hamburger? If a chef can submit a hamburger at proper temperatures they can produce a steak with some practice. How many misfired steaks do you plan on having in 1 day? Steaks being sent back to the kitchen will kill your business. You need to have an item or 2 on your menu that you can use these misfired or wrongly cooked steaks. Possibly a Beef Stroganoff or a chili. I'm not talking about customers left overs. Best wishes.

Alanhass is correct about the probe. The way chefs learn here in the US is by feel. I was taught by using the palm of my hand to see what well done and medium feels like. Why not start with hamburger? If a chef can submit a hamburger at proper temperatures they can produce a steak with some practice. How many misfired steaks do you plan on having in 1 day? Steaks being sent back to the kitchen will kill your business. You need to have an item or 2 on your menu that you can use these misfired or wrongly cooked steaks. Possibly a Beef Stroganoff or a chili. I'm not talking about customers left overs. Best wishes.

Thanks for the advice Paul, we do have Beef Stroganoff & chilli con carne on the menu & few other outlets for the mis-fired steaks. We are working with Wagyu mince for the burgers, pre-ground 80/20 and the flavour is great.....I guess most people will order medium or medium-well for burgers. With just using just the egg yolk the burgers are less firm then one using bread-crumbs, we will chill them over-night which will firm them sufficiently for the red hot grill to sear the outside quickly....

Any advice on keeping a pure beef patty firm before hitting The Grill is welcome... I know about pressing the centre with your thumb to stop the centre of the patty raising to far.  

Thanks for the advice Paul, we do have Beef Stroganoff & chilli con carne on the menu & few other outlets for the mis-fired steaks. We are working with Wagyu mince for the burgers, pre-ground 80/20 and the flavour is great.....I guess most people will order medium or medium-well for burgers. With just using just the egg yolk the burgers are less firm then one using bread-crumbs, we will chill them over-night which will firm them sufficiently for the red hot grill to sear the outside quickly....

Any advice on keeping a pure beef patty firm before hitting the grill is welcome... I know about pressing the centre with your thumb to stop the centre of the patty raising to far.  

Does a hamburger press help in keeping the patty firm?

Well played - Your on your way - I'm coming! I'll feel at home.

This is a dummy's guide http://www.sizzler.com.au/how-to-cook-the-perfect-steak

They always have shit meat and over cook it.......... but you'll notice the picture hanging on the wall.  ---Business tip on the pic - it will save your customers complaining "mines not cooked right"

ummm

We tried frozen Australian beef and it was more tender then Thai beef but still not acceptable for a Steakhouse, so we will serve only chilled Australian steaks.

Correct, and it can only be cooked when it's room temp, so your cook needs to think for 5 minutes before he cooks

Use these guys as some inspiration  -Notice the logo on the first

http://www.normanhotel.com.au/pdf/November2013_NRM_FoodMenu_10_13.pdf

http://www.breakfastcreekhotel.com/world_famous_steaks.html

I hope I can help you transform some of the best Aussie meat into a special place to come eat.

ummm

Any advice on keeping a pure beef patty firm before hitting the grill is welcome... I know about pressing the centre with your thumb to stop the centre of the patty raising to far.  

Worked in kitchens all my life on and off. But my parents always put a few bread crumbs in the patties in their burger joint, this was an old method from hey days to stop the meat shrinking when cooking. Although many cheap butchers still do it to spread the meat further. Less is best, but a little is good IMO.  A little never killed anyone and you can't taste it. Prepared the day before, lay flat on some glad wrap and stuck in the fridge. Ready to cook. Pull it out, and cook.

But then again the yanks don't eat pickled beetroot, so our burgers are different.  

Not a real burger until it has beetroot  - Maccas ain't a real burger but u get the Aussie drift     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36wBsBzGbuQ   

Edited by Swinga

ummm

I second the no use of thermometers to check steaks. The other smart alternative is a slant grill, i.e the bottom of The Grill is hotter then the top, the same heat constant. The rare goes to the top of The Grill, the well done goes to the bottom. In between is in between. They all get put on the same time and cooked at the same time, the result is the best cooked steak ever. The best steak joints here use this method as all you have to do is know the position and how long. Been trying to find a pic but googles dumb today and not helping

image.jpg

Edited by Swinga
  • Like 2

ummm

I second the no use of thermometers to check steaks. The other smart alternative is a slant grill, i.e the bottom of the grill is hotter then the top, the same heat constant. The rare goes to the top of the grill, the well done goes to the bottom. In between is in between. They all get put on the same time and cooked at the same time, the result is the best cooked steak ever. The best steak joints here use this method as all you have to do is know the position and how long. Been trying to find a pic but googles dumb today and not helping

actually all grills, griddles and even a frying pan have hot an cooler spots, which helps once the meat is seared/sealed.  just a matter of knowing your equipment.

i know he will get it right in the end, he did with the chinese when he started too

I second the no use of thermometers to check steaks. The other smart alternative is a slant grill, i.e the bottom of the grill is hotter then the top, the same heat constant. The rare goes to the top of the grill, the well done goes to the bottom. In between is in between. They all get put on the same time and cooked at the same time, the result is the best cooked steak ever. The best steak joints here use this method as all you have to do is know the position and how long. Been trying to find a pic but googles dumb today and not helping

I have seen the slanted grill method, we are using gas and have the option to regulate both sides of The Grill. Hopefully we'll save up for a charcoal oven / grill later in the year which would really give the meat another level of flavour. 

Like you said, left over-night and grilled straight from chilled the burgers should be firm enough. HaHa yea thats a great logo "Brisbane's worse vegetarian restaurant"....  

Correct, and it can only be cooked when it's room temp, so your cook needs to think for 5 minutes before he cooks

Use these guys as some inspiration  -Notice the logo on the first

http://www.normanhotel.com.au/pdf/November2013_NRM_FoodMenu_10_13.pdf

http://www.breakfastcreekhotel.com/world_famous_steaks.html

I hope I can help you transform some of the best Aussie meat into a special place to come eat.

Nice simple menu... gotta love that! Do something simple but do it well ... a lesson for us all.

Your right a steak can be touched to give pretty accurate reading of the doneness, our dilemma is that large thick steak will burn if left on the grill too long without the centre temperature being achieved thus we finish them in the oven. Thats when touching the steaks becomes harder without opening the oven door repeatedly, it's then the temperature probes become useful to us. 

When cooking Steak Archiduc you should keep the meat warm in the oven whilst preparing the sauce.

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

bearback ≠ bareback; loose ≠ lose; too ≠ to; wander ≠ wonder; then ≠ than;

men ≠ man; women ≠ woman; know ≠ now ≠ no; quiet ≠ quite; site ≠ sight;

except ≠ accept; of ≠ 've; waist ≠ waste; sure ≠ shore; etc. (et cetera) ≠ ect.

Egg yolks it is... we purchased a potato ricer which we pass through the potato twice for fine mash potato, we will give it a once through for the croquettes to see how it  comes out.

Thanks again for the advice.

Both for mashed potatoes and potato croquettes best is to crush the potatoes with an ordinary fork.

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

old restaurant/hotels in the Uk cooked big steaks, fillet in particular similar to your plan..

for no filet steaks,  to avoid burnign 

sear one side, sear the other  toch.. its rare

turn one more time, TURN HEAT DOWN!!!  watch for blood to rise.. as soon as.. is M R, a minute is rare

turn again, watch and touch.. wd

Filet..anyone orders a FS well done is a knobhead.  but there are many.  so sear/seal, turn.. same again.. and put in oven..  KNOW YOUR OVEN..you can still do touch test or insert a knife to check that centree isnt bloody.  its more experience than probe testing. 

the oven deal works well, we did it all the time.

I think Americans only eat overdone.

Yes I know, we are currently interviewing chefs for the senior position plus have more training planned, the current chefs have been working on the menu for 4 weeks already with at least 2 more weeks to go. We tried frozen Australian beef and it was more tender then Thai beef but still not acceptable for a Steakhouse, so we will serve only chilled Australian steaks.

A frozen steak, as most frozen food, is dead.

IMO the local tenderloin is still better than any imported frozen steak (and not as expensive).