IGNORED

Steak & Co. in Soi Lengkee (formerly China Garden)

China Garden

Been in the business for years and like to twice grind whole brisket for what you call mince. Make patties from that and you cannot go wrong. Working now in the oilfield offshore Gulf of Mexico cooking. Love my job be there in September and will stop by. Looking to get a place there as I am working 6 months of year and am looking toward retiring there. Good luck on your venture.

I will give that a try... cheers.

I certainly hope you will ignore the previous suggestion to add flour or bread crumbs, etc., to the ground beef for your burgers.

What a disaster that would produce. Much like the Aussie burger joint up the street from you. Great taste -- horrible texture.

I certainly hope you will ignore the previous suggestion to add flour or bread crumbs, etc., to the ground beef for your burgers.

What a disaster that would produce. Much like the Aussie burger joint up the street from you. Great taste -- horrible texture.

Are you a chef ? I am...

Have u cooked burgers in any big hotels or restaurants? I have..

Some of the most famous chefs in the world use crumbs to bind the mixture.

If you want a burger that isn't hard as a bullet or one that falls apart with the first bite then no problem.

If the Aussie place have bad texture then they are adding the wrong percentage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is making me Hungry!!

My Thai Girlfriend says having a small Dick shouldn’t be a problem in a relationship I still wish she didn’t have one though!

We are opening new steak-house called "Steak & Co." in Soi Lengkee, we decided to close the Chinese restaurant formerly at this location. Beefeater in Soi Diana is widely regarded as the best steak-house in Pattaya and we hope to offer a viable alternative to this well run & successful business. The renovations are being completed now and we plan to re-open in mid June 2014.

We aim to set ourself apart from the local completion in a few ways:

• Offering Thai/French Beef or Imported Australian beef (priced accordingly) 
  • Cuts sizes will be larger then most restaurants i.e 350g vs 250g Rib-eye & Sirloin
  • Offering Porterhouse steaks 
  • A wide-range of side dishes & steak-sauces, 1 side order & sauce included others sold separately. 
  • Steaks will be served on cast iron skillets 
  • Hand-cut French fries 
  • Mexican dishes taught by a Mexican chef
  • Chorizo sausage, hand-made in Thailand (used in Quesadillas & Nachos Supreme) 

What does “the local completion” mean ?

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

bearback ≠ bareback; loose ≠ lose; too ≠ to; wander ≠ wonder; then ≠ than;

men ≠ man; women ≠ woman; know ≠ now ≠ no; quiet ≠ quite; site ≠ sight;

except ≠ accept; of ≠ 've; waist ≠ waste; sure ≠ shore; etc. (et cetera) ≠ ect.

I like pounding my own meat been doing it for years

I like pounding my own meat been doing it for years

Better dip it in egg or it's gonna fall apart on u 555

Fuddrucker's (they cut, grind, and patty in house each morning) in the US makes a pretty damn fine burger and they don't use any binding. Just an 80/20 mix from the whole quarters that get butchered on site. Then stamped out in a patty mold daily.

In my first life, I worked my way up to managing the place. IMHO after the patty, the bun is critical. You may wish to looking into baking the buns in-house. It's not nearly as difficult as some think and turns out fantastic.

Just a quick thought worth exactly as much as you paid for it.  ;)

Cheers,

Edited by Sondor

Fuddrucker's (they cut, grind, and patty in house each morning) in the US makes a pretty damn fine burger and they don't use any binding. Just an 80/20 mix from the whole quarters that get butchered on site. Then stamped out in a patty mold daily.

In my first life, I worked my way up to managing the place. IMHO after the patty, the bun is critical. You may wish to looking into baking the buns in-house. It's not nearly as difficult as some think and turns out fantastic.

Just a quick thought worth exactly as much as you paid for it.  ;)

Cheers,

I agree the buns are very important, I have eaten in pretty much all the "premium burger" joints in Bangkok and my favourite bun is at the Firehouse, Soi 11. They use a Kaiser bun sourced from Austro-Pro in Bangkok, I will buy samples and see if Loaf / Continental can make them fresh for me, worse case scenario I will ship them in frozen & lightly toast them before serving.  Sadly the burger buns are not pictured.

http://www.austro-pro.com/

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA4ED1ADDCDA08AEE

Edited by China Garden

We are opening a "Steak-house" using only premium imported steaks, Lone Star only sells domestic Thai steaks.....we are targeting a completely different segment of the market, if Daniel from Beefeater was upset I could partially understand, in business you will always face competition and its just a question of being the best you possible can.. ... and there is no doubt Beefeater is "very good".

Lonestar have both Thai and Import steaks on their menu.

When I went there, only the Ribeye was available and offered with 3 sides for memory.

They didnt have coleslaw.

I had  fries, that were just warm (I guessed they came from next door and had been sitting there waiting) and onion rings.

It came with corn.

All in all the steak was ok, but for $30 no where near worth it.

Just wanted to try the place out due to the ad's on TV.

It was back to Beefeater for us.

Lb

Lonestar have both Thai and Import steaks on their menu.

When I went there, only the Ribeye was available and offered with 3 sides for memory.

They didnt have coleslaw.

I had  fries, that were just warm (I guessed they came from next door and had been sitting there waiting) and onion rings.

It came with corn.

All in all the steak was ok, but for $30 no where near worth it.

Just wanted to try the place out due to the ad's on TV.

It was back to Beefeater for us.

Lb

I totally agree I am not competing against Lone Star, our aim is to offer a good alternative to Beefeater.... its not going to be easy but we will definitely do our very best.  My friend recommended TV advertising, I did it before with China Garden & its clearly does work.

Cheers,

Ian

I totally agree I am not competing against Lone Star, our aim is to offer a good alternative to Beefeater.... its not going to be easy but we will definitely do our very best.  My friend recommended TV advertising, I did it before with China Garden & its clearly does work.

Cheers,

Ian

Loads of restaurants in patts selling steak but most are nothing to write home about

When I was a lot younger I worked in a top notch steak house in london for nearly 2 years

The restaurant used to sell 250/300 steaks on a good night

But a lot easier to get your hands on decent beef in london

It is actually not that difficult to cook a decent steak

Much more difficult to make top notch sauces to go with the steaks

++ you do not have to deal with Thai cooks

Patts needs another decent steakhouse

I will certainly give you a visit on my next trip in a few weeks

Loads of restaurants in patts selling steak but most are nothing to write home about

When I was a lot younger I worked in a top notch steak house in london for nearly 2 years

The restaurant used to sell 250/300 steaks on a good night

But a lot easier to get your hands on decent beef in london

It is actually not that difficult to cook a decent steak

Much more difficult to make top notch sauces to go with the steaks

++ you do not have to deal with Thai cooks

Patts needs another decent steakhouse

I will certainly give you a visit on my next trip in a few weeks

Very true, our aim is to offer high quality chilled Australian beef, the busier we are the fresher we can serve the beef. 

We are going to use "paper table-mats", I read a thread on Shenanigans and people expressed concern about bacteria, the paper place mat will be changed for "every single customer" and I would suggest its more hygienic then most other plastic or bamboo options available.

Why paper ? Well I made the mistake of making China Garden a little too formal, I am hoping to create a casual dinning experience in a warm atmosphere.   Here is what we have come up with, as per the advice I received on this thread, it clearly states Australian beef only! 

There are still a few "tweaks" to be made to the design.... like the missing full stop after Steak & Co and removal of the text "menu" haha

Cheers,

Ian

edit_Final_papermat.jpg

Edited by China Garden

What I find is that there is no universal names to cuts of meat, every country seems to have there own.

cant wait to try in the middle of july

good luck on your new adventure 

get the menu up and running asap so the guys/girls can look before they turn up

a good selection of wines are a must

regards

dirty

Are you a chef ? I am...

Have u cooked burgers in any big hotels or restaurants? I have..

Some of the most famous chefs in the world use crumbs to bind the mixture.

If you want a burger that isn't hard as a bullet or one that falls apart with the first bite then no problem.

If the Aussie place have bad texture then they are adding the wrong percentage.

Am I a chef? No. And I am almost certain you are not.

Do I know how to smoke-grill a fantastic burger? Yes.

Do I know the difference between a great burger and one that has filler added? You bet!

You're a British "chef," or so you say. I am an American consumer. To me, you wouldn't know the first thing about making a proper hamburger. 

Filler in the ground beef? Not only is it unnecessary, it's destructive.

Nice try though.

Never said I was British.

Yes I am a chef and have been for 15 years.

So you can smoke a burger ... Whoop de doo. I can drink a beer , doesn't make me a brewery.

Silly comment from you and kinda sums up your arrogance. I have to laugh at some people that think they know everything about food just because they eat it.If I took recipe tips from every wannabe chef I have met I wouldn't be in business long. I doubt you would know a good burger from a cow turd.

Edited by alanhass

Your pic of the porterhouse, is what we Aussies call a T-bone.  If we cut it in half it's a porterhouse to confuse the issue.

Have you thought about aging your own meat? There's value in that. 

Many good Aussie steakhouses do it, many don't as they fly in the best cuts for the day. (doubt you can do that)

Aging may help with stock turnover and supply/availability. It sures adds to flavour and tenderness. You'd have me sold in 1 minute seeing meat hanging in the window at the right temp or out back in stored like this pic

DSC4330.jpg

Edited by Swinga

ummm

yummo

2014-02-13-NYYSteakbutchershopDryAgeBox.jpg

ummm

Your pic of the fillet mignon, is what we Aussies call a T-bone. 

Have you thought about aging your own meat? There's value in that. 

Many good Aussie steakhouses do it, many don't as they fly in the best cuts for the day. (doubt you can do that)

Aging may help with stock turnover and supply/availability. It sures adds to flavour and tenderness. You'd have me sold in 1 minute seeing meat hanging in the window at the right temp or out back in stored like this pic

I did ask Choice Food if they offered "dry aged beef", the told me they had tried selling it but wasn't popular in Thailand, ageing it ourself's would be difficult due to space constrains. I did find this video on Peter Luger famous steak house interesting. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp4XXGHyFYw

The Porter house pictures is what your thinking of as a T-Bone but it has the bigger filet, the Mignon is above. 

yummo

HaHa yes a steak lover delight, some pedestrians might sneer at the mould though! 

I was in a fine dining resturant just recently in Perth - and they had a see through window fridge hanging steaks, it backed onto the toliets..strange place to show your steaks but quiet impressive when your a steak lover needing a pee

ummm

I think the place matt is done! Unless someone can spot any errors ?  ;-)

Table-Matt.jpg