IGNORED

Steak & Co. in Soi Lengkee (formerly China Garden)

China Garden

Whenever I read this thread I get hungry.  I dont care what it gets served on I just want to eat it.

• Like 2

Whenever in Pattaya I also try to find good Mexican food and steak.  I also always stay near your location, so you can count on me stopping by the next time in Pattaya.

We are opening new steak-house called "Steak & Co." in Soi Lengkee, we decided to close the Chinese restaurant formerly at this location. Beefeater in Soi Diana is widely regarded as the best steak-house in Pattaya and we hope to offer a viable alternative to this well run & successful business. The renovations are being completed now and we plan to re-open in mid June 2014.

We aim to set ourself apart from the local completion in a few ways:

• Offering Thai/French Beef or Imported Australian beef (priced accordingly) 
  • Cuts sizes will be larger then most restaurants i.e 350g vs 250g Rib-eye & Sirloin
  • Offering Porterhouse steaks 
  • A wide-range of side dishes & steak-sauces, 1 side order & sauce included others sold separately. 
  • Steaks will be served on cast iron skillets 
  • Hand-cut French fries 
  • Mexican dishes taught by a Mexican chef
  • Chorizo sausage, hand-made in Thailand (used in Quesadillas & Nachos Supreme) 

Will you have baked potatoes?

I liked the China Gardens. The ambiance was first rate. Good luck with the new restaurant.

Edited by Sexyfarangman

I like the cast iron plates if they are at a warming temp like he has stated...

It's not a sizzling platter which would add extra cooking

but then again...."you don't sell the steak-you sell the sizzle!"

Can't wait to taste a decent steak in pattaya.

You've not had one before?

Fuck the sizzle gimme a good steak 555

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck with your new venture! And good riddance to Lone Star next door!

I work in the middle east without pork, so enjoying good food is an important part of my holiday. I usually go to Tequila Reef for pork ribs a couple times each trip but tried Lone Star last month for the first time and it was awful! The pork ribs were half burnt, the macaroni and cheese looked like runny tapioca pudding, and the mashed potatoes weren't fresh and lukewarm.

I am definitely looking forward to trying your restaurant when there in June. You seem to certainly be on the right track to being  the best new steakhouses in town.

I did sell Lone Star 2 + years ago to the owner to Kell the owner of Jolly Friar, he "flipped" the property to an army pal shortly there-after. Russ & Ricky have spend a lot of money on advertising & promotions "Magnificent Seven", I understand they are concerned about my opening so close. 

We are opening a "Steak-house" using only premium imported steaks, Lone Star only sells domestic Thai steaks.....we are targeting a completely different segment of the market, if Daniel from Beefeater was upset I could partially understand, in business you will always face competition and its just a question of being the best you possible can.. ... and there is no doubt Beefeater is "very good".

All very admirable listening to what different customers want/like

and can be valuable in building the business -- however you should

always keep in mind the old saying that a Camel is a Horse designed

by a committee !!

Good luck on your new venture :Hello1:

Great saying & understood, I love listening to the advice & will cherry pick what fits "my vision" of Steak & Co. otherwise as you indicated is will loss its identity.

He isn't talking about wooden chopping boards he is talking about wooden serving platters.

Keep up mate ;)

Chef Gus & I just spent the week in Pattaya testing the food & refining the menu, I not have a much clearer vision on presentation... "cast iron" works, it looks great & doesn't over cook the steaks if they are "warm".

I know you are chef or worked as a chef so I am sure you will understand, our steaks are "so thick" they are char broiled for the hatch grill marks & seal in the juices then finished in our oven, that way the centre reaches the desired temperature without incinerating the outside.

Will you have baked potatoes?

Yes mate... home-made French fries &  jacket potatoes, anchor butter & bacon bits .... We all know everything tastes better with bacon! 

Whenever in Pattaya I also try to find good Mexican food and steak.  I also always stay near your location, so you can count on me stopping by the next time in Pattaya.

I tried some chicken & beef "al pastor" taco's yesterday, served with onion & cilantro, on the side guacamole, red sauce (spicy) & pico de galo.... WOW the meat was sooooooooo tender

Only the fajitas will be sizzling ! I promise... 

I tried some Wagyu burgers (made-in house), pretty tasty.... I didn't feel "WOW that wagyu beef" I think the mince was not from a good cut of the beef, something we need work on but we still have plenty of time,

Edited by China Garden

Anyone love steaks & technology ? Check this out !

I tried some Wagyu burgers (made-in house), pretty tasty.... I didn't feel "WOW that wagyu beef" I think the mince was not from a good cut of the beef, something we need work on but we still have plenty of time,

IMHO I think making hamburger mince out of good piece of steak is a waste and I much prefer a steak burger or sandwich.

Will your supplier  control the steak portion or will you on site?  Will there be wastage off cuts for burger mince?

IMHO I think making hamburger mince out of good piece of steak is a waste and I much prefer a steak burger or sandwich.

Will your supplier  control the steak portion or will you on site?  Will there be wastage off cuts for burger mince?

We will portion the meat ourselves, only the T-Bone / Porterhouse will be cut off site, the off-cuts / trimmings will be used in chilli con carne etc / burgers. There will be steak sandwiches & marinated steak taco's....

For the Wagyu burger is just made sense to buy the beef pre-minced then make our own patties.

We will portion the meat ourselves, only the T-Bone / Porterhouse will be cut off site, the off-cuts / trimmings will be used in chilli con carne etc / burgers. There will be steak sandwiches & marinated steak taco's....

For the Wagyu burger is just made sense to buy the beef pre-minced then make our own patties.

unless things are different here or you're not going to have a band saw money a lot can be saved by bringing in the whole short loin to cut the T-Bone and porterhouse from in the states a big cost difference from buying portion control steaks and cutting them yourself

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

What are the BM's thoughts on burger mince being served rare to medium rare?  I have always had the opinion that mince should be thoroughly cooked!

Can you give me a ball park figure on what Chef Gus costs?  No pressure to answer and u can PM me if you don't want it made public.

Would his contract be a lump sum price or hourly rate?

Cheers

Can you give me a ball park figure on what Chef Gus costs?  No pressure to answer and u can PM me if you don't want it made public.

Would his contract be a lump sum price or hourly rate?

Cheers

Sent you a PM

unless things are different here or you're not going to have a band saw money a lot can be saved by bringing in the whole short loin to cut the New York and porterhouse from in the states a big cost difference from buying portion control steaks and cutting them yourself

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk

The only thing we will have "pre-cut" is the short loin (T-Bone / Porterhouse), I dont have room for band saw / insurance! Choice foods provided me some 500-550 T-Bone steaks which looked great, they said some of their top hotel customers buy 600gram.

We will buy the whole short loin as 1 piece, have it cut into 500-550gram portions, then separate the prime pieces as Porter houses (the biggest tenderloin fillets), the rest will be sold as T-Bone steaks.

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by China Garden

Chef Gus & I just spent the week in Pattaya testing the food & refining the menu, I not have a much clearer vision on presentation... "cast iron" works, it looks great & doesn't over cook the steaks if they are "warm".

I know you are chef or worked as a chef so I am sure you will understand, our steaks are "so thick" they are char broiled for the hatch grill marks & seal in the juices then finished in our oven, that way the centre reaches the desired temperature without incinerating the outside.

As long as they are only warm u will do fine. Just make sure some lazy chef doesn't start to heat them by batch load in the oven because they will get too hot.

All you need is the chill taken off nothing more.

Best of luck.

The key to a good burger is fat content. You need a good 80/20 mix of chuck meat to fat to keep the burger moist. Salt and pepper some flour or breadcrumbs and egg to bind and nothing else. Herbs just kill the beef flavour.

...some flour or breadcrumbs and egg to bind...

Good lord! That's sacrilegious!

• Like 2

Been in the business for years and like to twice grind whole brisket for what you call mince. Make patties from that and you cannot go wrong. Working now in the oilfield offshore Gulf of Mexico cooking. Love my job be there in September and will stop by. Looking to get a place there as I am working 6 months of year and am looking toward retiring there. Good luck on your venture.