Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Steak & Co. in Soi Lengkee (formerly China Garden)

China Garden

Well played - Your on your way - I'm coming! I'll feel at home.

This is a dummy's guide http://www.sizzler.com.au/how-to-cook-the-perfect-steak

They always have shit meat and over cook it.......... but you'll notice the picture hanging on the wall.  ---Business tip on the pic - it will save your customers complaining "mines not cooked right"

The probably worst steak in my life I ate at Sizzler: http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/210879-sizzler-at-central-festival-mall/page-1#entry2576853

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

bearback ≠ bareback; loose ≠ lose; too ≠ to; wander ≠ wonder; then ≠ than;

men ≠ man; women ≠ woman; know ≠ now ≠ no; quiet ≠ quite; site ≠ sight;

except ≠ accept; of ≠ 've; waist ≠ waste; sure ≠ shore; etc. (et cetera) ≠ ect.

To be honest I still cant figure out local beef here.  I know about hanging and butchering, and the test in the UK used to be to take the sirloin between finger and thumb ans squeeze it, the ease of the squeeze determined the quality of the steak.  bought a lot in different places, foodland is good for meat as is Big C,  passed the squeeze test, failed the cook test.  now we only buy imported.  I think a lot has to do with the age of the beast, in the UK it is regulated and in all the west the feeding will be mostly grain which isnt available here, but still....

clues please??

Thanks for the advice Paul, we do have Beef Stroganoff & chilli con carne on the menu & few other outlets for the mis-fired steaks. We are working with Wagyu mince for the burgers, pre-ground 80/20 and the flavour is great.....I guess most people will order medium or medium-well for burgers. With just using just the egg yolk the burgers are less firm then one using bread-crumbs, we will chill them over-night which will firm them sufficiently for the red hot grill to sear the outside quickly....

Any advice on keeping a pure beef patty firm before hitting the grill is welcome... I know about pressing the centre with your thumb to stop the centre of the patty raising to far.

Keeping them chilled is about the best way. Remember to grind your meat fresh and don't over work it when your mixing it as they will go tough. I said it before and I will say it again "use some breadcrumbs"

Get a nice 15-18% fat content to avoid dryness and only flip the burger once.

Never ever press a cooking burger. I hate when I see diners doing that. They are only squeezing out all the juice and flavour.

Are your probes in the bin yet ? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeping them chilled is about the best way. Remember to grind your meat fresh and don't over work it when your mixing it as they will go tough. I said it before and I will say it again "use some breadcrumbs"

Get a nice 15-18% fat content to avoid dryness and only flip the burger once.

Never ever press a cooking burger. I hate when I see diners doing that. They are only squeezing out all the juice and flavour.

Are your probes in the bin yet ? :)

We have been using Wagyu ground beef for about a week now and are going to give up on it as the fat content is too high and the burgers disintegrate when they hit The Grill even if chilled over night etc etc,,,  We are now trying Angus ground beef 80/20, I'm sure that will give a great taste still. The chef's know not to press down on the burger and to make a small thumb sized indentation in the patty just before it hits The Grill to avoid the ballooning centre, its strsight from the chiller on to the hot grill.... 

The probes are not in the bin yet hahahaha but we had 2 really good chef's apply, one was grew up in Australia but is a Thai national, he cooks the steak by touch and so far so good....  

Edited by China Garden

my local high end steak house use global steak knives as customer cutlery

nice touch that stuck in my mind

If you intend to offer cream soups, please use real fresh cream (sold as “whipping cream” in one-litre cartons at Friendship and Foodland at some 150 baht).

This may sound obvious, but at several British owned pubs and restaurants I got something that looked and tasted like a mixture with condensed milk and a lot of flour in it, disgusting.

Edited by Duvel

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

my local high end steak house use global steak knives as customer cutlery

nice touch that stuck in my mind

That being said, I have not often seen proper fish cutlery in Pattaya, except at home that is.

I have eaten I china garden, in the past, I found the food very good, and in the style of Uk Chinese food. However is soi lenkee the right location for a quality restaurant. The cheap Charlie centre of the universe. Most of the customers, in triangle or Barbie bars, do they want to spend more than 100 bhat on their dinner? I speak from experience as I own a catering business here in the Uk

This area is the biggest growing in Patts. The cheap charlies such as myself will be moved on in due course.

Edited by ertert

The Beefeater and big horn steakhouse are no more than 2-300 meters away?????

Same location ( generally) as china garden.

Edited by One hung low

I have eaten I china garden, in the past, I found the food very good, and in the style of Uk Chinese food. However is soi lenkee the right location for a quality restaurant. The cheap Charlie centre of the universe. Most of the customers, in triangle or Barbie bars, do they want to spend more than 100 bhat on their dinner? I speak from experience as I own a catering business here in the Uk

Where People eat and drink can be totally different. I would like to think that a lot of my customers come because the bar is always busy and theres always someone to talk to. Not because of the cheap beer prices.

A lot of our customers eat at Cherrys, Hilton, Beefeater and we have all talked about the new Steak & Co,

In Fact a lot of the conversations i have revolve around places to eat and most are not cheap charlie Joints. 

Its a Perfect location for a quality restaurant and i look forward to having a meal there soon. 

• Like 2

Join the party Facebook.com/trianglebar

Where People eat and drink can be totally different. I would like to think that a lot of my customers come because the bar is always busy and theres always someone to talk to. Not because of the cheap beer prices.

A lot of our customers eat at Cherrys, Hilton, Beefeater and we have all talked about the new Steak & Co,

In Fact a lot of the conversations i have revolve around places to eat and most are not cheap charlie Joints. 

Its a Perfect location for a quality restaurant and i look forward to having a meal there soon.

Good reply. Just because some of us drink in the value for money bars we are classed as cheap Charlie's.

Put your beer prices up by 20 baht and see what happens

There is nothing wrong with a thermometer probe as long as used correctly. Insert in side not top as the probe normally is accurate at 1/2 inch at least into cut. I was trained with thermometer as well as the finger thumb tenderness scale. Good luck with your venture I will visit when I get there. Looks like you are gonna have a top notch place. Also could you put a link to your hotel? Jim

Re. wooden boards don't be afraid of the naysayers. They are perfectly safe, actually much safer than glass or plastic chopping boards. They have anti-bacterial properties. Butchers have used them for centuries and continue to do so for a reason.

see:

http://www.news.wisc.edu/releases/1107.html

http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

They do require a little care however, which you may or may not be prepared to do.

I will echo this.  I read about a study of bacteria levels between a plastic cutting board and a wooden one.  The wooden one did better according to them because it has natural anti-bacterial properties as the poster above said.

I also think the cast iron skillet does lend a rustic feel to the whole dinner and think you are on the right track.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable sub-human who has learned to wear shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house.

Robert Heinlein

I will echo this. I read about a study of bacteria levels between a plastic cutting board and a wooden one. The wooden one did better according to them because it has natural anti-bacterial properties as the poster above said.

I also think the cast iron skillet does lend a rustic feel to the whole dinner and think you are on the right track.

Butchers use a butchers block for prepping large cuts of meat and carcasses they do not use chopping boards.

They need to be sanded every day and it is far from easy.

The block is about 6 feet long by 2 foot wide.

Butchers use a butchers block for prepping large cuts of meat and carcasses they do not use chopping boards.

They need to be sanded every day and it is far from easy.

The block is about 6 feet long by 2 foot wide.

I remember as a kid in Aus,we used to go to the butcher and he would salt the block and also would cover it with methylated spirits and burn it.

It was cool,it would burn all the alcohol off in seconds but he said it would burn any left over stuff out of the cut marks.

He would then salt it.

Interesting. We live and learn.

For me, I learned years ago not to grill/prepare/serve beef to Thai girls. They simply couldn't or wouldn't eat it.

The 2 main reasons I've heard from them:

1. Constipation. "Cannot eat. If I do, cannot toilet."

2. The smell of it. More than one girl has told me the smell of beef cooking makes her imagine what a burning human body would smell like.

There ya go. Just my experiences gents.

You need to ask first.  Many Thai girls won't eat beef due a lot to their religion.  Given this then you have to assume most of them have never really had a good quality steak.  However, if they have had the opportunity to eat a good quality steak, I believe a lot of them do like it and they will, once in a while give in to their desires and eat a steak.  My wife is the same way; she likes a good steak, but feels a little guilty and so you will not find her eating it a lot or often.  Besides she and most Thai girls are totally in love with their Thai foods and don't really have a beef craving very often, but it happens, especially with Thai girls who have been with falang.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable sub-human who has learned to wear shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house.

Robert Heinlein

guquna7e.jpg

atemepy6.jpg

My home made burger.

Solid juicy and loads of flavour. Served on a flour bap with home made burger sauce.

guquna7e.jpgatemepy6.jpg

My home made burger.

Solid juicy and loads of flavour. Served on a flour bap with home made burger sauce.

And processed cheese?

And an Untoasted bun?

No bacon?

Agree Skalli....that is gross....and from a self professed Egg spurt......LOLOLOLOL

And processed cheese?

And an Untoasted bun?

No bacon?

My daughters preference is for processed cheese and un toasted bap. (Not a bun)

Bacon is for fat gits that don't know how a real burger should taste without masking it with pig.

Edited by alanhass

My daughters preference is for processed cheese and un toasted bap. (Not a bun)

Bacon is for fat gits that don't know how a real burger should taste without masking it with pig.

I like bacon.
  • Like 1