IGNORED

The Manchester United thread

Baxidar ba

Another shocking display yesterday. once again totally devoid of tactical nous and any type of leadership. We have a long way to go before we can challenge for the league title or Champions league.

But we're still United.

22 hours ago, Eric Le Roi said:

Another shocking display yesterday. once again totally devoid of tactical nous and any type of leadership. We have a long way to go before we can challenge for the league title or Champions league.

But we're still United.

Just after the Milan home game ago folk were saying it would be a challenging week ahead for United...they were suffering a number of injuries and games v West Ham home/Milan away and Leicester away in the FA Cup....well we were successful in two and yes a poor performance against Leicester,as I saw it we looked tired and no wonder we have been playing games every three days,Leicester had a weeks rest before Sundays game United got back from Milan in the early hours of Friday so little time to fill up the tank again....the International break has come at the right time.

4 minutes ago, petermik said:

Just after the Milan home game ago folk were saying it would be a challenging week ahead for United...they were suffering a number of injuries and games v West Ham home/Milan away and Leicester away in the FA Cup....well we were successful in two and yes a poor performance against Leicester,as I saw it we looked tired and no wonder we have been playing games every three days,Leicester had a weeks rest before Sundays game United got back from Milan in the early hours of Friday so little time to fill up the tank again....the International break has come at the right time.

I respect your opinion mate but I feel that performance was unacceptable. Apart from the odd very good showing (city and sociedad away for example) watching Utds play has been hard work of late.

7 hours ago, Eric Le Roi said:

I respect your opinion mate but I feel that performance was unacceptable. Apart from the odd very good showing (city and sociedad away for example) watching Utds play has been hard work of late.

I,ve followed United since the early 60,s and seen far worse...Youri Telemans has been quoted today as saying "we were expecting Untied to be tired after their Europen trip and our tactics were to exploit that"..... if watching anything that`s been "hard work of late" why bother then....real supporters support through thick and thin.

Football is just a game...not life and death.

Edited by petermik

The comment below is an extract from an interview with Luke Shaw on Sky Sports where he was asked about the difference between Jose Mourinho`s management style and Ole Solskjaer....interesting reading.

image.png.9aef6249be39433581c0da2a11fa02d7.png

Edited by petermik

Yes, playing against a team of Leicester City's ability, the difference was clear - they looked like a team that'd had 7 days off to rest and we looked like a team that was playing our third game in that same time span - the 2nd in row on the road (2 road matches in 3 days???), yet we somehow held on for 78 minutes.

We played 6 matches in 18 days - 4 of them on the road - and those last 2 took their toll. LC meanwhile has had 2 matches in the last 15 days, BOTH at home! This is the 2nd time they've gone through a stretch like this in a season and both times have naturally ended in lackluster performances. 

April is going to be no friend to us either - starting April 4th we have 6 matches in 20 days, including 3 of 5 on the road over 15 days - the worst of it: on the road vs Granada CF on 4/8 and then @ Spurs 3 days later. Ugh.

Is May any better? 5 games in 23 days is better, right? Except it starts with Liverpool, @ Aston Villa and then Leicester City!

AND - if we win in the Europa league - that adds possibly two more games to the schedule - one more in April (the 29th - 7 in 25) or May (the 6th - 6 in 23) and then a one more in May (the 26th - the Final), giving us 7 or possibly 8 games in 26 days in May. 

Pick your Poison Ole - you want 2nd in the EPL or a Europa Cup?

Man City has had 6 games in 20 days (a bit better) but only 2 were on the road (one against Fulham). Who makes these schedules?

Did it just over Milan.

Leicester in the FA cup they were shit & were found out all over the park, no power up front & defence was not good enough for the on form Leicester.

Recently about one goal a game & thats not good enough.

Still need to fuck of some dead wood & sign 4 players in key positions IMO.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jack Frost said:

Still need to fuck of some dead wood & sign 4 players in key positions IMO.

Agree 100% and I,m sure Ole knows that also...but it`s not all that easy to ship players out who are on bigger salaries at OT than other clubs would offer them if they were interested in signing them.....many will be happy to sit out their contracts unfortunately.

BTW does anyone know what actual injury Phil Jones is suffering from that has kept him out for so long....

I still feel the club is going in the right direction under Ole and the amount of young talent that is coming through can hopefully lead us on to better things in the future....we shall see :WhoSaw1:

• Like 1

On 23/03/2021 at 10:38, petermik said:

I,ve followed United since the early 60,s and seen far worse...Youri Telemans has been quoted today as saying "we were expecting Untied to be tired after their Europen trip and our tactics were to exploit that"..... if watching anything that`s been "hard work of late" why bother then....real supporters support through thick and thin.

Football is just a game...not life and death.

I've watched Utd for almost 50 years so I can reasonably be classed as a "real supporter" through "thick and thin". And you say football is just a game....Manchester United The Religion.

....and I repeat, we were inexcusably pathetic v Leicester.

15 hours ago, Eric Le Roi said:

....and I repeat, we were inexcusably pathetic v Leicester.

so just 2 days rest after a key European away match prior to a third game in a week is not a valid reason...get real...Leicester had a full week to prepare....for months now United have been playing every three days,there comes a point even with the fittest of players where fatigue comes into play....they are men not machines....obviously you have very little understanding of professional sport.

7 hours ago, petermik said:

so just 2 days rest after a key European away match prior to a third game in a week is not a valid reason...get real...Leicester had a full week to prepare....for months now United have been playing every three days,there comes a point even with the fittest of players where fatigue comes into play....they are men not machines....obviously you have very little understanding of professional sport.

.....nah I'm not having it, even from someone of your incredible intellect.

• 2 weeks later...

Good 3 points last night against a very useful Brighton side .Started off on the front foot for a change but sloppy defending cost us a goal. 2nd half came out much more determined and deserved the win. Onwards and upwards.

7 hours ago, Eric Le Roi said:

Good 3 points last night against a very useful Brighton side .Started off on the front foot for a change but sloppy defending cost us a goal. 2nd half came out much more determined and deserved the win. Onwards and upwards.

Brighton were very well organised and played a good game...United off the pace a little yet ground out the 3 points at the end...

• Like 1

We're getting close to wrapping up Top 4, which would be two years in a row... the first time we've done that in the post-SAF era.

5 hours ago, Chuck in Bangkok said:

We're getting close to wrapping up Top 4, which would be two years in a row... the first time we've done that in the post-SAF era.

Have some ambition. No less than 2nd in the league and Europa Cup winners for me. AC were a tougher gig than Grenada, we should be a nap for the semis.

4 hours ago, petemoss said:

Have some ambition. No less than 2nd in the league and Europa Cup winners for me. AC were a tougher gig than Grenada, we should be a nap for the semis.

Of course, I'm just saying - so many are like "Ole out!", and yet we've been a better team for a year and half than we've been in 7 years. In fact, since we lost back to back games a year ago to Liverpool (01/19/2020) and Burnely at home (01/22/2020) we've gone 26-14-4 in the EPL. 

And yes, a 2nd place in the league and a Cup would top it off nicely this year....

We're Man Utd and it's about time we were dining at the top table again, but I'll settle for 2nd place and a Europa Cup. The summer transfer window should see us signing 2 or 3 from Erling Haaland, Harry Kane, Jack Grealish and Jadon Sancho but the Glazers will soon put paid to my wild fantasies.

19 hours ago, Eric Le Roi said:

We're Man Utd and it's about time we were dining at the top table again, but I'll settle for 2nd place and a Europa Cup. The summer transfer window should see us signing 2 or 3 from Erling Haaland, Harry Kane, Jack Grealish and Jadon Sancho but the Glazers will soon put paid to my wild fantasies.

You`re living in a dreamworld.....City have just announced a huge loss on last season....big money buys are out for the time being.

6 hours ago, petermik said:

You`re living in a dreamworld.....City have just announced a huge loss on last season....big money buys are out for the time being.

I know, that's why I mentioned "wild fantasies".

But don't for one minute think it's gonna stop City from buying whoever they want.

Well...

We COULD sell De Gea (and still get a decent price for him), and Pogba (and still get a REALLY good price for him) and...

Martial - (I've been in his camp since day one, but... he's really disappointed this season and we have to upgrade) and sell Lingard and maybe get some Sanchez money finally and dump Phil Jones and... suddenly we've got a fair amount to spend on...

Haaland, Sancho, Grealish and Koulibaly?

Imagine:

Haaland

Rashford Fernandes Sancho

McTominay Grealish

Shaw Maguire Koulibaly AWB

Henderson

And a bench of:

Greenwood

Amad - Van der Beek - james

Fred - Matic

Telles - Tuenzabe - Bailly - Williams 

Grant

• Like 1

Great 2nd half display from the Reds yesterday, after the farcical play acting, shit reffing 1st half. The passing and movement was sublime at times, much improved from earlier season stuff. Ole seems to be developing a more assured and rugged approach in his interviews (Fergie must have had a word).

More of the same please.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight Ed Woodward has resigned & he'll be finally leaving Manchester United at the end of the year but hopefully we'll pay him up & get rid ASAP. 

I just wish the Glaziers having shown their true contempt for the fans & English football in general with the super League debacle will follow him out the door.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The world was waiting for this game to start. BIG REPERCUSSIONS for your club on top of the super league greed 

Our former Academy, Danny Welbeck scored a delightful goal , probably the best goal of the month if not the season .. I have been watching it repeatedly over 50 times .