IGNORED

The Manchester United thread

Baxidar ba

32 minutes ago, Chuck in Bangkok said:

As we scramble to make last minute buys, our competition - who already have made a bigger splash in the market are STILL looking for more. Word is Arsenal are making a last minute deal to try and get Thomas Partey! 

Partey would have been a good signing for us.

Whilst I think Cavani may do well he's been a free agent for months, yet we are signing him on the final day of the window which smacks of desperation.

We are also trying to sign Sarr from Watford, good prospect as he is but trying to get him so late in the day after conceding Sancho isn't happening is not good business, Watford know we are desperate & will ramp up the price.

• Like 1

Before I post this, just let me say - I do NOT support this club administration. Woodward and cohorts may as well be wearing clown shoes in how they handle things and the Glazers are some kind of caricature villain from an American Action movie. 

Me? Just looking for silver linings.

Just saying:

Ole after 95 games: 52w 20d 23L  54.74%

Klopp after 95 games: 46w  24d  25L  48.42%

SAF after 95 games: 44w  31d  21L  46.31%

We didn't get who we wanted. If I had my way, we'd now be pairing Jadon Sancho with Erling Haaland (I'll never let that go), but we DID do ok. I think Cavani still has juice, as long as he stays healthy, and we NEED his fire, his PASSION and his monster work ethic. Between him and Bruno we have two players who don't just hate to lose, they DESPISE it - not just in talk, but in action.

Alex Telles can be fantastic for us too, as long as we figure out what the hell is going on with our CB's... maybe they'll feel more comfortable with a LB who can get back and cover more effectively than Luke Shaw. I'm not a Shaw hater... he's played very well at times, but teams have figured out we can be exposed there and now we hopefully have that covered. 

I think we improved the team. Not how we wanted to originally, but we've moved some dead weight (albeit slowly) and added better skilled talent. We started last season with Lingard and Pereira as starters and despite injuries to Pogba, Rashford, and Martial, the arrival of Bruno helped Ole somehow manag this team to a third place finish and a return to the Champions League.

As bad as 6-1 was to lose to the Spurs, it WAS with only 10 men (only 2-1 before that) and Liverpool lost 7-2 that same day with all 11 players! It's going to be a weird season, so anything can happen...

Staying patient and hopeful...

@Chuck in Bangkok good points & completely agree about Haaland, Cavani looks in Ronaldo esq shape but he's not played a competitive game in a longtime.

But (& I hope I'm wrong) Ole looks done, he's been very diplomatic but I expect he's as tired of Woodward's ineptitude as much as anyone.

If things don't improve quickly he'll unfortunately be the one carrying the can, can't help shake this feeling that Poch has already been sounded out & it's only a matter of time.

19 hours ago, Chuck in Bangkok said:

Before I post this, just let me say - I do NOT support this club administration. Woodward and cohorts may as well be wearing clown shoes in how they handle things and the Glazers are some kind of caricature villain from an American Action movie. 

Me? Just looking for silver linings.

Just saying:

Ole after 95 games: 52w 20d 23L  54.74%

Klopp after 95 games: 46w  24d  25L  48.42%

SAF after 95 games: 44w  31d  21L  46.31%

We didn't get who we wanted. If I had my way, we'd now be pairing Jadon Sancho with Erling Haaland (I'll never let that go), but we DID do ok. I think Cavani still has juice, as long as he stays healthy, and we NEED his fire, his PASSION and his monster work ethic. Between him and Bruno we have two players who don't just hate to lose, they DESPISE it - not just in talk, but in action.

Woodward gets a lot of stick from armchair punters (fairly or unfairly) who know little about what actually goes on behind the scenes...he got stick about Haaland the lad went to a smaller club knowing he would play each week,his choice nothing about money.....Bellingham also wants to play week in week out,felt he wouldn,t get that at OT.....as for Sancho the word is Woodward wanted to pay but was stopped by the Glaziers as they felt it was too much.

Not always Woodward....I believe given time Ole can turn things round, his heart is in the club and if he felt he wasn,t up to it he will quit....I sincerely hope he gets the time.

• Like 1

Just wish some of the ex-united players and pundits would get stuck into the Glazers.

We're the biggest club in the world, let's start acting like it.

• 3 weeks later...

R.I.P. Nobby Stiles sadly passed away yesterday age 78....Collyhursts finest and for those of us of a certain age a United legend....on the field a tiger afraid of no one,off it as nicer and more humble chap you could not wish to meet.....RIP Nobby.

Another turgid display yesterday. No leader on or off the pitch and a complete lack of tactical nous.

Pretty depressing really.

10 hours ago, Eric Le Roi said:

Another turgid display yesterday. No leader on or off the pitch and a complete lack of tactical nous.

Pretty depressing really.

It really was. 

Though really the only difference in that game was Pogba's dumb penalty. Yes - they out ran us and out hustled us and... outplayed us, but still - 2 shots on goal for both teams, and 8-7 Arsenal in shots.

We're just not the same team without Rashford, Greenwood, and Martial all starting together, (with Bruno as well). Our only EPL win this year is when they've all started together (I'm not counting the Spurs debacle because of the BS Red Card at 28'), and last year we were 7-2-0 in the EPL when all three started (6 of those with Bruno).

Ole has to figure out, that's our best front... he did for the last 8 games of last year...

I believe that with Anthony back next game, and Greenwood past his pre-season silliness we'll be much better going forward. As long as we stick with that front...

Still would like to see Telles in for Shaw when he's ready, and more of Tuanzbe to 'rest' our CB's occasionally...

But yeah... disappointing game yesterday...
  • Like 1

Karma has a habit of coming back and biting you Manchester fans in the ass and yours came back to haunt you last night in the form of Dember ba.

Steven Gerrard's infamous slip allowed former Newcastle United man Ba to find the net as the Reds slipped to a 2-0 defeat and ultimately finished as runners-up to Manchester City.

This moment led to relentless mocking from rival supporters - United in particular.

So, the tables were turned when Ba - now 35 - remarkably found himself with a clear run at goal from inside his own half in only the 12th minute of the Group H encounter with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's men.

It hurts when Demba Ba breaks through on goal and slots underneath the keeper doesn’t it guys? 

:Laugh1: :LMFAO:  :EvilLaugh1::Clap9:

On 03/11/2020 at 00:23, SteveB said:

:D

How much would he be on a week?

An honest player, always struck me as being totally out of his depth at MU.

2 hours ago, jimboh said:

How much would he be on a week?

An honest player, always struck me as being totally out of his depth at MU.

For a guy who has started only 96 of the last 302 games, and only 2 of the last 72 (0 of 11 so far this year), Jones is compensated pretty well. Jones signed a 4 year contract last year worth £15.6 million (£3.9 million annually and £75,000 a week). This goes through the 2023-24 season. Jesse Lingard, who'll have trouble finding any playing time this year, has essentially the same contract that runs through 2021-22.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chuck in Bangkok said:

For a guy who has started only 96 of the last 302 games, and only 2 of the last 72 (0 of 11 so far this year), Jones is compensated pretty well. Jones signed a 4 year contract last year worth £15.6 million (£3.9 million annually and £75,000 a week). This goes through the 2023-24 season. Jesse Lingard, who'll have trouble finding any playing time this year, has essentially the same contract that runs through 2021-22.

Football lost its marbles years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

What a difference Eric Cantona made for us back in the day. I've been thinking about that (hopeful) comparison with Edi, since we signed him and... man, that game winner just gave me goosebumps. He is EXACTLY what we needed.

We have a game in hand, and if we were to win that, right now, we'd have 19 points, be tied for 3rd with Chelsea, and only 2 points off 1st/2nd Spurs/Liverpool...

19 hours ago, Chuck in Bangkok said:

And just like that we're in 4th place. 

if only our home form were as good.....:GrinNod1:

13 hours ago, Chuck in Bangkok said:

Unbelievable, considering some of the diabolical performances so far.

On 29/11/2020 at 17:31, Eric Le Roi said:

Funny old game innit :Grin3:

Agree i am laughing so much about your Champions League exit. :Clap8:

On 05/12/2020 at 22:39, Chuck in Bangkok said:

Do not count your chickens before they hatch. Lets see where you are at the end of January 2021 as if you look at your up and coming fixtures no game will be easy.  :LMFO:

On 06/12/2020 at 10:59, petermik said:

if only our home form were as good.....:GrinNod1:

Away form not good either judging on tonights result.  :Party3:

On 06/12/2020 at 12:14, Eric Le Roi said:

Unbelievable, considering some of the diabolical performances so far.

Just added another “diabolical performance” so business as usual. :LMAO1:

At least you can concentrate on the Premier League. You cannot NOW have no excuses about trying to get into the top four and qualifying for next seasons Champions League. :GoldenSmile1:

On 08/12/2020 at 23:06, overseas516 said:

Agree i am laughing so much about your Champions League exit. :Clap8:

Do not count your chickens before they hatch. Lets see where you are at the end of January 2021 as if you look at your up and coming fixtures no game will be easy.  :LMFO:

Away form not good either judging on tonights result.  :Party3:

Just added another “diabolical performance” so business as usual. :LMAO1:

At least you can concentrate on the Premier League. You cannot NOW have no excuses about trying to get into the top four and qualifying for next seasons Champions League. :GoldenSmile1:

I know its a bit of banter overseas, but you seem to be obsessed with Man utd.

1 hour ago, vimto66 said:

I know its a bit of banter overseas, but you seem to be obsessed with Man utd.

“Pot calling the kettle black”  :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, overseas516 said:

“Pot calling the kettle black”  :rolleyes:

????? Seriously i dont know what you mean.:unsure:

We win our game in hand and we're tied for 3rd, 2 points from 1st place. It's a long season.

On 14/12/2020 at 02:16, Chuck in Bangkok said:

We win our game in hand and we're tied for 3rd, 2 points from 1st place. It's a long season.

After putting the old enemy in their place yesterday, we're now third with a game in hand. Difficult game on Boxing Day but a win will put us 2nd with a game in hand, setting up a title clash on the 17th. Onwards and upwards.