IGNORED

The Manchester United thread

Baxidar ba

16 hours ago, Mick Pattaya said:

Despite the toll that this pandemic might have had on the coffers it would be better if Utd got Sancho in through the door & not dilly-dally on 10-20 mill here & there.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, none more so than Bruno F who could have been a Utd player right from the start of the season, if not for Woodward's inability to get the deal done then. 

Lest we forget, despite our improved showing lately, we are still 50 points behind Liverpool, that is a huge gap to bridge with just average signings.

Yes! It still aggravates me to think the season we COULD have had if they would've signed Bruno in the summer. But instead that dingleberry Woodward made Ole look foolish thinking we could rely on Lingard and Pereira to be our CAM! 

Overnight we went from the type of team that loses to Burnly 2-0, AT HOME, to the type of team that we should be - handling Brighton on their own ground, 3-0 - primarily because of that ONE player - Bruno. (Though I by no means underestimate having Paul Pogba back healthy either - he's been fantastic - but this started even before he got back).

This is suddenly a team with some really top talent - but to compete with a Liverpool next season - IMHO, we have to make two quality signings - in particular up front and on defense - and then we have to get rid of some dead weight - Lingard (way over paid), Phil Jones (WAY over paid), Pereira (well liked, but he just isn't a Top 4 PL player), Sanchez of course (who we still haven't officially replaced - overpaid beyond imagination) and replace it with youth players.

I like Juan Mata, as a gentleman and a longtime contributor but it's very much time for him to become an assistant coach or something.

We've got SOME bench players - Brandon Williams, Eric Bailly (if he can stay healthy), Romero, Dan James, Fred (poor Fred - with Bruno AND Pogba in the lineup, he'll see a lot less time - let's not forget how he AND Matic both stepped up as the season went along - I was a BIG critic of Matic but he really stepped up and became a new player, especially once Bruno arrived)

What Ole did with this team BEFORE Bruno arrived may actually one day be looked back on as miracle work - somehow we didn't fall off the face of the earth - we HUNG IN THERE - and we saw the vast improvement and emergence of Brandon Williams, Fred, Matic, McTominay - and really even Rashford and Martial. On top of that, the three signings he WAS able to work out - Maguire (slowly - steadily), Wan-Bissaka (amazing), and James (expected that his contributions would be here and there - shouldn't really have been an every game starter this year as he was at one point) - have turned out to be MUCH needed.

I LIKE where Ole's going... we may see some bumps in the road still - or some change of plans on different players we target to bring here - but I now have more REAL faith than I've had in 7 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chuck in Bangkok said:

James (expected that his contributions would be here and there

Good post but don't give up on James. Still has the potential to be a United great. Personally, I think he should start in every game.

On 01/07/2020 at 20:22, petemoss said:

Good post but don't give up on James. Still has the potential to be a United great. Personally, I think he should start in every game.

No, I haven't given up on him at all, but... who would he replace? Greenwood has shown he can handle the physical demands of the PL and he IS a budding star - we need him to start. And James isn't replacing Martial or Rashford. 

Personally, I see Dan James now, as someone who CAN start a game if we need him, but not an everyday starter. But certainly someone who will get better and better as time goes on. 

It's been a terrible last week for obvious reasons (although that lots mauling at City provided a brief respite).

But I'm so  excited (& I just can't hide it) the reason Mason Greenwood, now I know not all young strikers fulfill their potential at OT, remember Macheda? 

But wow if Mason keeps improving at this rate we will have a seriously big star on our hands, & only 18 YEARS OLD!!! 

I'm sure they'll be a Liverpool fan along to try & burst my bubble & tell me I'm talking bollox (they do have a strange fascination with this thread it seems) but I don't care.

On a side note I'd like to echo Chuck's sentiments regarding Bruno. We were going nowhere fast when he signed but it's been amazing how 1 single player has rejuvenated the whole team.

Literally every player who's around Bruno has improved their game, even Pogba's smiling again.

I think we're not too far away, a couple of quality signings & keep our main men (especially Bruno) fit & we could be challenging again next season.

Not getting too excited just yet, but this is the best we've seen in ages.

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

Another excellent performance tonight, Fernandes & Pogba were awesome & Greenwood leaves (ex Liverpool keeper) Pepe Reina looking like an expat stumbling around soi Buakhao after 1 too many Changs. 

• Like 2

On 05/07/2020 at 11:20, Eric Le Roi said:

Not getting too excited just yet, but this is the best we've seen in ages.

Onwards and upwards.

With 3 upcoming fixtures against mid table opposition (Saints H, Palace A and West Ham H) and the form we were in last night, 3 wins is a distinct possibility which would leave the last game against Leicester a 6 pointer with a possibility of finishing 3rd or 4th.

Also have an FA Cup semi upcoming and a virtual certainty for a Europa Cup QF. Could still be a very rewarding season for us.

Onwards and upwards indeed. The form side in the league since the break.

• Like 2

@petemoss don't think Chelsea are going to drop enough points so 3rd unlikely.

Leicester are not in great form, I feel by the final game we'll be above them. If City's ban is upheld 5th will be enough for CL anyway.

1 hour ago, Baxidar ba said:

Leicester are not in great form, I feel by the final game we'll be above them. If City's ban is upheld 5th will be enough for CL anyway.

Chelsea are 2 points ahead of us with an inferior goal difference. They are also away to Liverpool in their penultimate game. Chelsea are favourites to finish 3rd but by no means a certainty.

I'm not comfortable with relying on City's ban being upheld to give us a Champions League place.

https://apple.news/AwvUCnrkLShW9uPHUk3uUIg

MAN UNITED FAN RELIEVED AFTER BETTING HIS ENTIRE £55K INHERITANCE ON LIVERPOOL WINNING THE PREMIER LEAGUE

A GAMBLER breathed a huge sigh of relief after betting his £55,000 inheritance on Liverpool winning the Premier League.

Manchester United fan Tony Ward, 55, had been waiting nervously on his mega-flutter since lockdown in March.

But the dad of three collected £91,000, including his stake, when Jürgen Klopp’s side were confirmed as champions last month.

Tony inherited £55,000 when his mum Rose died in 2017 aged 82 — and put the lot on Liverpool back in October, at odds of 4/6.

He said: “Liverpool were always looking like they could win the title. I picked them after a long, long debate.”

He then watched Liverpool streak ahead of Manchester City, with the title a mere formality — until the coronavirus lockdown came.

Tony, who calls himself an “armchair” Man United supporter, then had an agonising wait before the season eventually restarted in mid-June,

He said: “I would have got my stake back, I think, if the season had been cancelled. But that would have been unfair.

“Liverpool were that far clear. They only needed six points.”

The Kop idols, managed by Klopp, quickly got those, clinching their first top-flight title in 30 years and earning Tony his payout from Ladbrokes.

He is now planning a foreign getaway while keeping the rest in the bank.

He added: “I fancy a big holiday. The rest is for a rainy day.”

Tony, of Bradford, West Yorks, said of his mum: “She wouldn’t have minded what I did with the money — not at all. She liked a flutter!

“She liked the horses. But I’d give it all back to have my mum still around.”

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Baxidar ba said:

There you go, thanks SHU

:08:

• Like 2

................................................................................................................

So the transfer window will open soon & whilst the 1st 11 is strong (Lindelof aside) the draw with Southampton shows we have a lack of squad depth that needs addressing.

Man City can sub Aguero, KDB & Silva & bring on Jesus, Foden & Mahrez. We replace Pogba, Fernandes & Material with Mata, Pererira & Ighalo.

Assuming Pobga stays we need more depth & we need to rotate, & currently any injury to say Fernandes & we are screwed.

I'd like to see Ole strengthen at CB, CM, & CF. We need players who are prepared to start as squad players & take their chance when it comes, hopefully the days of overpriced prima donas (Di Maria, Falcao ect) are over.

A world class CB would be great (Koulibaly) but failing this maybe go for Nathan Ake & or recall Smalling. 

Midfield I'd love to see Rice, he's young, English & comfortable in defence or midfield, although I think Chelsea are his 1st choice. I wouldn't mind adding Grealish either, not as a 1st choice but he'd be a useful squad player.

In attack obviously Sancho would be ideal but I don't see Woodward getting that deal over the line (think how good we'd be if he signed Haaland).

A more realistic option could be Joshua King, he was originally at OT as a youngster is quick & can play anywhere in the front 3.

Just a few signings to strengthen the squad & we could be genuine challengers  next season.

• Like 1

De Gea badly at fault today, he's been a brilliant keeper but ever since the 17/18 season the odd sloppy mistakes started.

Cumulating in the world cup game & Ronaldo's hat trick,  he's never been quite the same.

He was badly at fault for at least the 1st 2 & really should have saved Maguire's OG for their 3rd.

With Henderson's rapid progression, I think Ole might have a decision to make soon. 

6 minutes ago, Baxidar ba said:

De Gea badly at fault today, he's been a brilliant keeper but ever since the 17/18 season the odd sloppy mistakes started.

Cumulating in the world cup game & Ronaldo's hat trick,  he's never been quite the same.

He was badly at fault for at least the 1st 2 & really should have saved Maguire's OG for their 3rd.

With Henderson's rapid progression, I think Ole might have a decision to make soon. 

Olly made mistakes too, error of judgment in selecting first 11. Never got the rhythm going.

................................................................................................................

Just now, Mick Pattaya said:

Olly made mistakes too, error of judgment in selecting first 11. Never got the rhythm going.

Best result for us today was the Spuds beating Leicester. An FA cup final would've been nice.

But really what is an FA cup final without fans? 

CL qualification is by far the most important thing going forward, not only to keep the players we've got sweet but also in attracting new players.

Hope the Liverpool players can drag themselves off the beach & put in a performance V Chelsea.

Spurs even cancelled out Leicester's Goals+ advantage, assuming we take care of the hammers we are almost there.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Baxidar ba said:

Best result for us today was the Spuds beating Leicester. An FA cup final would've been nice.

But really what is an FA cup final without fans? 

CL qualification is by far the most important thing going forward, not only to keep the players we've got sweet but also in attracting new players.

Hope the Liverpool players can drag themselves off the beach & put in a performance V Chelsea.

Spurs even cancelled out Leicester's Goals+ advantage, assuming we take care of the hammers we are almost there.

I get what you're saying (about fans & all), but this was a winnable trophy.

I guess I am being greedy, 55. Let's roll on to the next PL & Europa games.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mick Pattaya said:

Olly knows the fitness levels of the squad...we do not...several players struggling with the games coming thick and fast,Chelsea had 48 hours more rest...it does make a difference and on the day they looked fresher and fitter  :Crazy1:

4 hours ago, petermik said:

Olly knows the fitness levels of the squad...we do not...several players struggling with the games coming thick and fast,Chelsea had 48 hours more rest...it does make a difference and on the day they looked fresher and fitter  :Crazy1:

They've had months of rest during the lockdown, Pogba and Rashford even longer. Pogba in particular needs games not a rest. They looked fit enough against Palace. should have named the same side that started against Palace although I thought that Romero deserved to keep his FA Cup place - only if! Started with a back 3 which the players had no clue with. I thought it disrespected the FA Cup when I saw the lineup and was not surprised by the result.

The only change i would have made was to take Fernandes off when it quickly became obvious that Lampard had instructed his players to take him out of the game by kicking lumps out of him at every opportunity.

Lets hope that its lesson learned for the West Ham game which we really need to win.

50 minutes ago, petemoss said:

Lets hope that its lesson learned for the West Ham game which we really need to win.

2 draws will be enough won't it? Wouldn't be surprised if they lose to West Ham and need a last day win to get over the line.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Yesterday was a reality check for us all.

We've played some great football since the restart but we're still a long way off the pace.

2 hours ago, kane666 said:

2 draws will be enough won't it? Wouldn't be surprised if they lose to West Ham and need a last day win to get over the line.

Only Villa in the bottom 3 could draw level with West Ham on points and even then they lag West Ham by a GD of 14. In practice West ham are safe. Villa play Arsenal the day before West Ham play us which should make West Ham's safety a certainty. Hopefully they'll be celebrating staying up the night before they play us.

If we beat WH and Leicester beat us it will come down to GD which is currently the same. We need to give WH a whooping to ensure that even losing by the odd goal to Leicester we will finish 4th.

Edited by petemoss

Manchester United allow David de Gea to train without a mask, after club doctors confirm there's no way he can catch anything.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

38 minutes ago, davidge said:

Manchester United allow David de Gea to train without a mask, after club doctors confirm there's no way he can catch anything.

Well at least he won't be catching anything from Swansea next season or any other Welsh team for the foreseeable future

At least we have a sense of humour.

As you’re a Man Utd fan, I assume you’re from London?

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”