IGNORED

The Manchester United thread

Baxidar ba

Jesse Lingard scored a meaningful goal for us (its been a while) - and what a great goal it was!

Ronaldo getting taken down the second time in the box - that was definitely a penalty that wasn't called.

Luke Shaw's handball - ridiculous decision.

VAR doesn't suck - the concept makes sense - It's the people who run VAR that are dim.

DeGea makes a meaningful save for us - that's two players would've taken a great deal of grief over the last few years, who really came up big today.

• Like 3

We did pretty well today considering we were up against a half decent West Ham, a bent ref and bent var.

• Like 1

On 15/09/2021 at 21:00, davidge said:

61BFFD9A-B328-4525-BCD3-84EB2AF3A8BA.jpeg

"You have won a lot of trophies but you have not won the Europa League yet. I'm gonna get you that"

Funny & could be possible.

Young Boys was a fucking joke but as I always point out so is the manager.

Jack.

On 14/09/2021 at 22:33, Eric Le Roi said:

Ole is being found out to be totally lacking in tactical awareness. He and his coaching staff need to be replaced pretty soon. Don't think we've got a cat in hells chance of the league or champions league with them in place.

I hope I'm completely wrong but very much doubt it.

...same same

Hey that new signing of theirs, Cristiano Ronaldo (?), is pretty good at football, isn’t he?

Definitely one to watch for the future, I reckon. 👍🏽

Tom Tit

• Haha 1

Ron went home for a meal and a wash, but what he had seen over there did not let him rest.

6 minutes ago, whitespider said:

Gooner here (ducks)

Im one of the many many fans who thinks its great having CR7 in the Prem' - the more the better.

I don't support Man U either, but I 1000% agree. Love him or loathe him, CR7's fascinating. Football's loads of things to loads of people,  but at the end of the day it's entertainment (one reason why Man U have stood out through history) and the game nowadays is all efficiency and fitness and stats. It's losing its characters - look at Arsenal's first team now. Last real 'character' Arsenal had was (another love him or loathe him dude) Mezut Özil. Jamie Vardy's another. God save us from the vanilla men.

Tom Tit

Edited by Tom Tit

Ron went home for a meal and a wash, but what he had seen over there did not let him rest.

14 points from 7 games, most of which were played against also-rans of the PL. With the kind of scheduling Utd had before this intl break it should have been at least 17-18 points.

City, Liverpool & Chelsea have cancelled each other & therefore still in touch. We still have to play all of them home or away starting next month. Still to play against Atalanta in the UCL group.

Maybe, post the UEL final against Villareal was the best time to say 'thanks, but no thanks' to Ole. He is a Utd icon & a very decent bloke & trier, but strategic coach he isn't.

Patterns of play & speed of play is so tepid, always counting on the main stars to do something magical. 

Antonio Conte is still out there, he ruffles feathers & is abrasive, but his acumen & drive is needed to compete with the likes of Tuchel, Klopp & Pep.

................................................................................................................

48 minutes ago, Mick Pattaya said:

14 points from 7 games, most of which were played against also-rans of the PL. With the kind of scheduling Utd had before this intl break it should have been at least 17-18 points.

City, Liverpool & Chelsea have cancelled each other & therefore still in Touch. We still have to play all of them home or away starting next month. Still to play against Atalanta in the UCL group.

Maybe, post the UEL final against Villareal was the best time to say 'thanks, but no thanks' to Ole. He is a Utd icon & a very decent bloke & trier, but strategic coach he isn't.

Patterns of play & speed of play is so tepid, always counting on the main stars to do something magical. 

Antonio Conte is still out there, he ruffles feathers & is abrasive, but his acumen & drive is needed to compete with the likes of Tuchel, Klopp & Pep.

Long read but IMHO we won't go for Conte even though he would make us more competitive.

A club can only be as ambitious as it's owners, I believe we will become like Aresnal in Wenger's last few seasons.

The Glaziers brought Manchester United to make a profit, they are happy with 4th & CL qualification (& the £'s it generates) every year.

Out of the profits Utd make the Glaziers list of priorities I believe are: 

1st to service the debt they took out to buy Utd originally.

2nd pour money into the Tampa bay buccaneers (I'm guessing Tom Brady is on a decent wage) & whatever other business they have.

3rd make a signing or 2 to keep us competitive.

We are currently 4th & almost certainly likely to finish 4th this season.

Conte wouldn't settle for 4th & would demand a much bigger transfer budget than i believe the Glaziers would be prepared to give him.

Ole won't rock the boat, he'll tow the company line & being a club legend won't be turned on in the way Moyes or Jose were.

Look at Newcastle, Ashley lost interest & only cares about surviving so he can make a profit, offer Ashley 4th bottom for the next 10 years so he can continue to milk the PL cash cow & he'd take it.

I don't think CR7 quite realised this when he re-signed & I think his petulance at the end of the  Everton game is only the beginning of his frustration. 

This is not the United of the SAF era & until we get owners who actually care about making us the country's top team again, a top 4 finish & maybe a decent cup run is all we should realistically expect.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Baxidar ba said:

Long read but IMHO we won't go for Conte even though he would make us more competitive.

A club can only be as ambitious as it's owners, I believe we will become like Aresnal in Wenger's last few seasons.

The Glaziers brought Manchester United to make a profit, they are happy with 4th & CL qualification (& the £'s it generates) every year.

Out of the profits Utd make the Glaziers list of priorities I believe are: 

1st to service the debt they took out to buy Utd originally.

2nd pour money into the Tampa bay buccaneers (I'm guessing Tom Brady is on a decent wage) & whatever other business they have.

3rd make a signing or 2 to keep us competitive.

We are currently 4th & almost certainly likely to finish 4th this season.

Conte wouldn't settle for 4th & would demand a much bigger transfer budget than i believe the Glaziers would be prepared to give him.

Ole won't rock the boat, he'll tow the company line & being a club legend won't be turned on in the way Moyes or Jose were.

Look at Newcastle, Ashley lost interest & only cares about surviving so he can make a profit, offer Ashley 4th bottom for the next 10 years so he can continue to milk the PL cash cow & he'd take it.

I don't think CR7 quite realised this when he re-signed & I think his petulance at the end of the  Everton game is only the beginning of his frustration. 

This is not the United of the SAF era & until we get owners who actually care about making us the country's top team again, a top 4 finish & maybe a decent cup run is all we should realistically expect.

You hit the nail on the head about Cristiano. I had the same reckoning but didn't include it in my post as I want to see a few more results being played out.

However, it is absolutely true that even aged 36 he remains ultra-competitive & won't accept mediocrity or a 'let's be comfortable approach'. Specially, if he sees Messi/Neymar etc earning plaudits for their UCL exploits & Man U somehow making a mess of their UCL campaign like last time. 

................................................................................................................

Ole finished 3rd two years ago and 2nd last year. Improvement each year and within a penalty kick of winning the Europa League last year.

Klopp won NOTHING until his 3rd full season.

This is Ole's 3rd full season.

And he has yet to start this line-up together:

Rashford - CR7 - Greenwood

Pogba - Fernandes - McTominey

Shaw - Maguire - Varane - AWB

DeGea

Yes, they've had an easier schedule so far, but... are the Spurs good? They've got 3 losses already including a 3-1 loss to Arsenal who has 3 losses themselves - they beat City 1-0 in the first game.

City also has a draw vs Southampton, and wins vs Norwich and a 3-loss Arsenal team.

Liverpool has wins vs Norwich, Leeds, Crystal Palace and a draw vs Brentford. 

Chelsea has beaten Southampton, a Spurs team with 3 losses already, Crystal Palace and a 3-loss Arsenal team (ok, maybe we can see why Arsenal has 3 losses early...).

This is Ole's year to show us what he can really do. Once he gets that team above, let's see what happens. 

We still have the excuse of 'McTominey', but with those players around him, that should be a competitive team regardless.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have backed Ole since he was appointed and as above for me this season is make or break for him...hopefully he will deliver...time will tell.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Chuck in Bangkok said:

Ole finished 3rd two years ago and 2nd last year. Improvement each year and within a penalty kick of winning the Europa League last year.

Klopp won NOTHING until his 3rd full season.

This is Ole's 3rd full season.

And he has yet to start this line-up together:

Rashford - CR7 - Greenwood

Pogba - Fernandes - McTominey

Shaw - Maguire - Varane - AWB

DeGea

Yes, they've had an easier schedule so far, but... are the Spurs good? They've got 3 losses already including a 3-1 loss to Arsenal who has 3 losses themselves - they beat City 1-0 in the first game.

City also has a draw vs Southampton, and wins vs Norwich and a 3-loss Arsenal team.

Liverpool has wins vs Norwich, Leeds, Crystal Palace and a draw vs Brentford. 

Chelsea has beaten Southampton, a Spurs team with 3 losses already, Crystal Palace and a 3-loss Arsenal team (ok, maybe we can see why Arsenal has 3 losses early...).

This is Ole's year to show us what he can really do. Once he gets that team above, let's see what happens. 

We still have the excuse of 'McTominey', but with those players around him, that should be a competitive team regardless.

Are we playing well though, the team you outlined more or less plays every week (Rash out for a while) with Sancho in & Maguire's recent injury.

All our wingers have a tendency to cut infield, no one is going past opposing full backs to the by-line to create an angle for crossing. With Rolando's aerial ability that's a shame & needs to be rectified.

We've got rancid owners, a way out of his depth manager and clueless coaching staff. We aint winning any of the big 2 trophies anytime soon.

Almost every game is the same turgid shite, can't break teams down, no plan B, (not much of a plan A to be honest).

Can't see Ronaldo, Cavani and Fernandes putting up with this shitshow much longer.

I could be totally wrong of course and maybe we are on track for another treble.

9 hours ago, Mick Pattaya said:

Are we playing well though, the team you outlined more or less plays every week (Rash out for a while) with Sancho in & Maguire's recent injury.

All our wingers have a tendency to cut infield, no one is going past opposing full backs to the by-line to create an angle for crossing. With Rolando's aerial ability that's a shame & needs to be rectified.

That front three has yet to play together.

Sancho hasn't even gotten to play as much as he needs to.

The back three have only played 3 full PL games together.

We basically have 3 new starters (CR7, Sancho, and Varane) who barely have had a chance to really get to know who they're playing with.

And yet we've lost only 1 of our first 7 games.

We started out 2-1-3 last year and still managed to finish 2nd in the league...

Not sure why everyone seems to be giving up hope already... geez...

15 hours ago, Chuck in Bangkok said:

We basically have 3 new starters (CR7, Sancho, and Varane) who barely have had a chance to really get to know who they're playing with.

Definitely not giving up hope. However, this season just can't be compared to the last one.

Last season was an anomaly, fixture congestion with 'project restart', with Man Utd clearly suffering the hangover from the Europa SF defeat to Sevilla. The failed Sancho chase didn't help either. Thus the opening few rounds loss to CP, Spurs etc.

Liverpool & Chelsea stuttered too with injuries & the Lampard mid-season sacking.

The lead time to this season has been better with all major signings except CR7 already on-board. The scheduling also favored us as we played a piss-poor Southampton, Newcastle & depleted Everton. We should be better off with 3-4 points more. 

I worry the cost of inaction weighs more than the cost of action.

16 hours ago, Chuck in Bangkok said:

Old whiskey nose stuck his oar in yesterday, or a couple of days before.

Basically saying "fuck tactical changes, you start your best 11 players". A very clear dig at Ole, who he has been pretty supportive of thus far.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

16 hours ago, whitespider said:

Old whiskey nose stuck his oar in yesterday, or a couple of days before.

Basically saying "fuck tactical changes, you start your best 11 players". A very clear dig at Ole, who he has been pretty supportive of thus far.

Reportedly said by some hack trying to conjure up some mischief....

6 hours ago, petermik said:

Reportedly said by some hack trying to conjure up some mischief....

Correct, almost certainly taken out of context. Just an off the cuff remark blown up to suit the media narrative.

We've had some dire times & football under Moyes, LVG & Jose, to my knowledge SAF has always stayed in the background & never tried to undermine, Can't see him starting now.

• 2 weeks later...

Crucial time coming up for Ole now, the next 8 games will probably shape the rest of the season.

Leicester   a

Liverpool   h

Spurs         a

Man City    h 

Watford      a

Chelsea      a

Arsenal       h

Not the easiest of runs, especially with our 1st choice CD pairing injured. 

But cometh the hour cometh the man, in Jones we trust.

downloadfile-11.jpg

Edited by Baxidar ba

1 hour ago, Baxidar ba said:

Crucial time coming up for Ole now, the next 8 games will probably shape the rest of the season.

Leicester   a

Liverpool   h

Spurs         a

Man City    h 

Watford      a

Chelsea      a

Arsenal       h

Not the easiest of runs, especially with our 1st choice CD pairing injured. 

But cometh the hour cometh the man, in Jones we trust.

downloadfile-11.jpg

Phil the Drill. Should be a guaranteed starter 🤣🤣

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Mid week must win UCL games too. Can't afford another Young Boys.

Defence all over the place today, Varane missing but it's still the 1st choice back 4 from last season.

Could have been worse, De Gea made a couple of very good saves, we could easily have been hit for 6.

De Gea & Greenwood (again) the only positives from what was  a pretty inept performance.