IGNORED

Everton Thread

blue1878

Two games played and we have won both of them. And we have played very very well. Played some very good football and scored some good goals. Hopefully if we can steer clear of injuries we can have a good season in the league

• 4 weeks later...

Great result at Swansea. Won 3 nil and we had lots more chances. The only problem was that the defense looked a bit dodgy.

Anyway we are in 3rd place in the league which is great

I'd love to see Everton mix it up this season - it would be great to see a team with a limited budget achieve success.

Just imagine what Moyes could do with $100m.........

Great result at Swansea. Won 3 nil and we had lots more chances. The only problem was that the defense looked a bit dodgy.

Anyway we are in 3rd place in the league which is great

Great start to the season, Moyes is a magician!

Saw this today, put a smile on my face!

jlia.jpg

On Saturday I watched Everton beat Southampton 3 - 1. We had a slow start and went behind after only 5 minutes but once we got going we played some great football and deserved to go in at half time 3 - 1 up. if anything half time went against us because in the 2nd half we seemed to go off the boil. Anyway we are now in 2nd place which I'm going to enjoy whilst it lasts

• 3 weeks later...

Well it is now late October and Everton are in 4th place in the premiership. This season we have played some very good football and deserve to be in 4th spot but it will be very hard to stay there because the premiership is a very hard league and we do not have a big squad of players.. So I am enjoying being in 4th spot and look forward to seeing how the rest of the season will pan out

• 2 weeks later...

I've just watched the highlights of yesterdays game at Fulham. And Everton played some great football.

Everton should have won but because they didnt take there chances could only draw 2 - 2

If Everton can keep this form going I think we will have a good season

My main concern is that we are leaking to many goals

• 2 months later...

Last Saturday I watched my first Everton game since returning from my Christmas/New year trip to Pattaya.  It was the first time Everton have been involved in a 0 - 0 draw for a long time.  Everton were a bit below par but I think still thought that they created enough chances particually in the fist half to have won the game.  At the same time I thought Swansea played well and made if difficult for Everton.  

Saturday's draw was Everton's 10th league draw of the season.  And all these draws could cost Everton dearly this season.  In many of these draws Everton have played very well and created many chances but they have not been able to convert the chances into goals.  Hopefully in the 2nd haly of the season they can convert these chances into goals

• 3 weeks later...

On Wednesday night Everton got a good result against West Bromwich Albion.  It was a good performance after a bit of a dodgy spell.  And it was good to see Kevin Mirallas start the game.  He is a very good player and has been injured recently.  And it was also good to see Darren Gibson come on as a sub in the 2nd half.  Gibson has also been injured.  Both Mirrallas and Gibson will be important players to Everton if we are to have a chance of qualifing for Europe next season.  So I hope they can steer clear of injuries between now and the end of the season

Last Saturday I went to Goodison Park to watch Everton play Aston Villa.  It's a game they needed to win if they are to have any chance to ending the season in the top four.  Unfortunatly Everton could only draw the game 3 - 3.  And at one stage they were 3 - 1 down.  Luckily Fallaini scored two late goals to earn Everton a draw

_65666974_fellaini_ap.jpg

It was a game that Everton mainly dominated but because of defensive errors they ended up throwing away 2 points.  Everton are still in 5th but are now 3 points behind 4th place Spurs and only 1 point ahead of 6th placed Arsenal.  And at the weekend they have a tough game away to Manchester United

On Sunday Everton play away to Manchester United at Old Trafford.  Here are some facts leading up to the game

0 Defeats for the Blues from four games against the two Manchester clubs in 2012. Of those matches, David Moyes’ team played United twice, drawing 4-4 at Old Trafford last April and winning 1-0 at Goodison in August.

4 Goals for Leighton Baines in seven matches during 2013, making the full-back Everton’s leading scorer this year. The England international notched against Newcastle United and Cheltenham Town, before hitting a brace in last week’s home win over West Bromwich Albion.

7 Everton’s current unbeaten run on the road in all competitions. The Toffees have not lost away from home since Reading last November when, on the same day, United were beaten at Norwich City – their last Premier League defeat.

16 Times the Toffees have struck the woodwork in the Premier League this season – three more than any other side. 

43 Years since the Toffees last completed a home and away league double over Manchester United. This occurred in the title-winning season of 1969/70 – the Blues won 2-0 Old Trafford and 3-0 at Goodison.  

50 Years since an Everton player last scored against Manchester United in three successive league matches. Roy Vernon achieved this feat between 1962/63 and 1963/64. Marouane Fellaini will match the Welsh legend should the Belgian score at Old Trafford on Sunday. Curiously, in 2012 the midfielder became the first Everton player to score in away league matches at both Manchester clubs in the same calendar year.

250 Premier League appearances in Everton colours for Tim Howard, should the American goalkeeper appear against his former club. 

300 Phil Neville requires one more appearance to reach this total for the Blues.

400 Premier League matches for Sylvain Distin, if the defender appears on Sunday. In a notable achievement, the Frenchman will become the first overseas outfield player to reach that landmark.   

599 Away league wins for the Toffees. Fifteen have been at Old Trafford with the most recent a 3-0 victory in August 1992. Robert Warzycha was a scorer that night and the winger still remains the only Polish player to score a Premier League goal.

• 1 month later...

Last Saturdays match between Everton and Man City reminded me off a very famous footballer who came from my home town off Ellesmere Port.  He was a playing legend with Everton and Arsenal.  And a managerial legend with Man City.  His name was Joe Mercer

joe mercer.jpg

Joe Mercer, a left-half, first played for Ellesmere Port Town. He was a powerful tackler and good at anticipating an opponent's moves. He joined Everton in September 1932 at the age of 18 and claimed a regular first team place in the 1935–36 season. Mercer made 186 appearances for Everton, scoring two goals and a winning a League Championship medal in the 1938–39 season. While playing for Everton he gained five England caps between 1938 and 1939.

Joe Mercer cartoon.jpg

Mercer moved in late 1946 for £9,000 (2010: £277,000) to Arsenal, commuting from Liverpool; Theo Kelly brought Mercer's boots to the transfer negotiations to prevent Mercer having a reason to go back to say goodbye to the other players at Everton. He made his Arsenal debut against Bolton Wanderers on 30 November 1946 and soon after joining Arsenal, Mercer became club captain. As captain, he led Arsenal through their period of success in the late 1940s and early 1950s, helping to haul his side from the lower end of the table to win a League Championship title in 1947–48.

Mercer went on to win an FA Cup winner's medal in 1950 and was voted FWA Footballer of the Year the same year. He led Arsenal to Cup final in 1952, which they lost 1–0 to Newcastle United, but the following year bounced back to win his third League title with Arsenal winning the 1952–53 League Championship on goal average. Mercer initially decided to retire in May 1953, but soon recanted and returned to Arsenal for the 1953–54 season. However, he broke his leg in two places after a collision with team-mate Joe Wade in a match against Liverpool on 10 April 1954, and finally called time on his footballing career the year after. Mercer played 275 times for Arsenal in all, scoring two goalsjoe mercer cartoon 2.jpg

Joe Mercerjoe mercer and dixie dean.jpg

Joe with the great Dixie Dean

In 1974 he also became care taker manager of England for 7 games losing only one

Leighton Baines was fantastic at tonight match, With Ashley Young as his partner at the left side, should continue the same on Tuesday, Seamus Coleman was also a star for Ireland in a draw against Sweden away. 

Leighton Baines was fantastic at tonight match, With Ashley Young as his partner at the left side, should continue the same on Tuesday, Seamus Coleman was also a star for Ireland in a draw against Sweden away. 

Everton are very lucky in that they have two very good attacking full backs. It will be interesting to see who will be Englands left back next Tuesday.  The most important thing about next Tuesday is the result.

Everton are very lucky in that they have two very good attacking full backs. It will be interesting to see who will be Englands left back next Tuesday.  The most important thing about next Tuesday is the result.

I noted at Everton website that Seamus Coleman was  into a Midfielders bracket in Team list, but he played at full back for Everton and Ireland ever since, Full back is his perfect position from now on, he is very good , very similar to Baines.

• 1 month later...

For We Were Born Evertonians.png

Hey Blue1878, How do you feel now with Moyes departing for United on 1st July. Gutted i reckon, I really hope Everton will find a better manager, I think it will be Roberto Martinez if Wigan goes down.Sorry mate. Like myself i was gutted with Sir Alex retiremment. How ironically that he was the man who cost United the title last year in May or April, with a 4-4  draw. 

Hey Blue1878, How do you feel now with Moyes departing for United on 1st July. Gutted i reckon, I really hope Everton will find a better manager, I think it will be Roberto Martinez if Wigan goes down.Sorry mate. Like myself i was gutted with Sir Alex retiremment. How ironically that he was the man who cost United the title last year in May or April, with a 4-4  draw. 

Hi Jocky I am a bit gutted about David Moyes leaving but it's something that has been talked about for years.  I think some United fans are worried that they wont have the same success under Moyes that they had with Alex.  Even though David Moyes will want to do is own thing Alex wont be far away if David needs any advice.

It will be interesting to see who Everton will get to replace him.  I wouldnt like to say at the moment who I would want to be the new manager.

It would be funny if the new manager brought Everton some silverware next season.  Something that David couldnt do in 11 years of being a manager of Everton

Hi Jocky I am a bit gutted about David Moyes leaving but it's something that has been talked about for years.  I think some United fans are worried that they wont have the same success under Moyes that they had with Alex.  Even though David Moyes will want to do is own thing Alex wont be far away if David needs any advice.

It will be interesting to see who Everton will get to replace him.  I wouldnt like to say at the moment who I would want to be the new manager.

It would be funny if the new manager brought Everton some silverware next season.  Something that David couldnt do in 11 years of being a manager of Everton

Good Point Blue, and if United win nothing next season would be funny too. He had 6 years contract, So he wont be worried about his job, 

Do you agree with him being able to take charge of the last couple of games? I think its ridiculous personally

Do you agree with him being able to take charge of the last couple of games? I think its ridiculous personally

A friend of mine boycotted today's game because he felt the same as yourself.  And he was also unhappy that he didnt sign a new contract months ago.  If he had signed a new contract a few months ago we would have got compensation from Man Utd.

I just thought that I would bring a little bit of humour into todays precedings

My head hurts.jpg

It's been a long time since we have finished above Liverpool for 2 season's running

A friend of mine boycotted today's game because he felt the same as yourself.  And he was also unhappy that he didnt sign a new contract months ago.  If he had signed a new contract a few months ago we would have got compensation from Man Utd.

The fact that Sir Alex decided he was leaving in December further proves to me Moyes has known about this a while and has treated the club poorly. I have a season ticket and went yesterday, I walked out at full time to get away from the circus surrounding his departure. Thanks for giving us our pride back, but the way he has done this leaves a massively sour taste in my mouth

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering what your thoughts were on the new club crest? Although I can probably guess the mood! 

I was wondering what your thoughts were on the new club crest? Although I can probably guess the mood! 

I think its an absolute abomination. It was leaked around the end of April and I swear I thought it was a joke... For the club to release it shows how small time some members of our board actually are (Robert Elstone). THankfully the club have issued an apology and promised to have it changed after 1 season