IGNORED

Leeds United Thread

gazO

11 hours ago, gazO said:

QUESTION, why are Leeds still so hated !!!!!

The amount of negative posts on various sites from fans from all over the leagues, just read one from Coventry City fan that Leeds should not be promoted just because he hates them.

I know it all started in the 1960's from the southern press, yes we were a strong team fighting to get of the 2nd division.

But 50 plus years on fuck me whats wrong with people. They are the best football playing side by a mile in the championship and deserve to go up on merit. Or should they be playing like Cardiff style huff it long Borrrrrrrrrring.

MOT

9 hours ago, Captain Dave said:

They are jealous - pure and simple.

We are a great Club with a proud legacy and a legion of true supporters - who really cares about Coventry City enough to hate them?

Quite.

I wear the hatred of such numpties as a badge of pride - if Leeds United are still generating such hate, we must be doing something right.

PS: The football we were playing just before the Chinese flu hit was sublime, the best they've played for nearly 20 years, IMHO.

First of all i dont hate Leeds,far from it, in fact if theres a debate in the pub and someone says something about them which is unfair or just plain wrong i`ll try to put them right, we all like banter and piss taking with mates who support other teams, but if somethings plainly wrong i`ll chime up.

I reckon one of the the reasons today why many people dislike Leeds (i wont say hate, thats one of the most wrongly used words in the english language) is because even though they havent played in the top flight for 16 seasons and have spent more than half of the last 30 years out of the top flight  (even spending three seasons in the 3rd tier), there are still plenty of Leeds fans who think they`re still a top club with a divine right to top class football,their arrogance is astounding sometimes, in the championship they may well be a big club but in reality they`ve slipped down the standings somewhat in recent years, status has to be earned, and they were on their way to doing that until recent events.

If they get the season up and running again things might yet turn out well for Leeds, being a bit more humble would go a long way, i know quite a few Leeds fans and some of the more sensible ones are realistic about things, and realise that if they do get  up thats when the hard work starts, try and get established and then progress, they`ve had their dreams shattered in recent seasons so nervousness/pessimism comes with the territory.

Edited by vimto66

20 hours ago, vimto66 said:

First of all i dont hate Leeds,far from it, in fact if theres a debate in the pub and someone says something about them which is unfair or just plain wrong i`ll try to put them right, we all like banter and piss taking with mates who support other teams, but if somethings plainly wrong i`ll chime up.

I reckon one of the the reasons today why many people dislike Leeds (i wont say hate, thats one of the most wrongly used words in the english language) is because even though they havent played in the top flight for 16 seasons and have spent more than half of the last 30 years out of the top flight  (even spending three seasons in the 3rd tier), there are still plenty of Leeds fans who think they`re still a top club with a divine right to top class football,their arrogance is astounding sometimes, in the championship they may well be a big club but in reality they`ve slipped down the standings somewhat in recent years, status has to be earned, and they were on their way to doing that until recent events.

If they get the season up and running again things might yet turn out well for Leeds, being a bit more humble would go a long way, i know quite a few Leeds fans and some of the more sensible ones are realistic about things, and realise that if they do get  up thats when the hard work starts, try and get established and then progress, they`ve had their dreams shattered in recent seasons so nervousness/pessimism comes with the territory.

I take your points but the reasons Leeds United are a top club - regardless of their present league position - is because

of their huge fan base, which is truly global as well as a rich  history and heritage and their role in the ethos and morale of the City.

I might add that the 'hatred' they inspire among many reinforces this point.

It's the number of people that care - both for and against - that defines a top club.

Brighton and Hove Albion and Bournemouth AFC (with all due respect) may be in a higher league just now, but they have never been top clubs. 

Incidentally, I consider Sunderland a top club despite their position too.

Even Manure remained a top club when they were relegated - I can't believe I just wrote that, I'll go and have a stiff drink!

Edited by Captain Dave
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Dave said:

I take your points but the reasons Leeds United are a top club - regardless of their present league position - is because

of their huge fan base, which is truly global as well as a rich  history and heritage and their role in the ethos and morale of the City.

I might add that the 'hatred' they inspire among many reinforces this point.

It's the number of people that care - both for and against - that defines a top club.

Brighton and Hove Albion and Bournemouth AFC (with all due respect) may be in a higher league just now, but they have never been top clubs. 

Incidentally, I consider Sunderland a top club despite their position too.

Even Manure remained a top club when they were relegated - I can't believe I just wrote that, I'll go and have a stiff drink!

Yes i take you`re points too, what i will mention though and although you wouldnt say it yourself, some supporters of biggish clubs often make disparaging remarks about the Bournemouth`s Brighton`s and even Burnley`s.... stuff like `we should be where shitty little Bournemouth are they dont deserve a premiership place etc` while thier own club flounders because..well..... they aren`t very good, status and respect has to be earned.I agree just because you`re not in the top flight it dosnt mean you`re not a big club ie Sunderland and even man city were third tier for a season, but a place at the top table has to be earned.

15 hours ago, vimto66 said:

Yes i take you`re points too, what i will mention though and although you wouldnt say it yourself, some supporters of biggish clubs often make disparaging remarks about the Bournemouth`s Brighton`s and even Burnley`s.... stuff like `we should be where shitty little Bournemouth are they dont deserve a premiership place etc` while thier own club flounders because..well..... they aren`t very good, status and respect has to be earned.I agree just because you`re not in the top flight it dosnt mean you`re not a big club ie Sunderland and even man city were third tier for a season, but a place at the top table has to be earned.

I would never say someone didn't deserve a Premier League spot, they clearly earned it and as someone who lived in Bournemouth

for a couple of years I delight in the romantic rise in their fortunes.

I just feel - and this is widely felt - that some clubs are bigger than others regardless of current league position.

Wolverhampton Wanderers spent many years out of the top ranks, but they always remained a big club to most footy fans. 

The clubs I make disparaging remarks about are big enough to take care of themselves - you know of whom I refer - Chelski and Salford Rovers.

I make no attempt or pretense of neutrality when referring to those agents of The Devil!

Edited by Captain Dave

Ex-England international defender Trevor Cherry has died "suddenly and unexpectedly" aged 72, his former club Leeds United have confirmed.

The defender joined Leeds from Huddersfield in 1972 and won a league championship in 1974 and making 486 appearances for the club.

He played 27 games for England, captained the side once and was part of the 1980 European Championship squad.

Cherry, was also player-manager at Bradford, where he played 92 matches.

He managed at Valley Parade from 1982 to 1985, with former Leeds team-mate Terry Yorath as his assistant.

Cherry guided the club to the Third Division title in 1985, a promotion overshadowed by the tragedy of the Bradford fire disaster on the final day of the season, in which 56 supporters died when the main stand burned down.

Cherry was heavily involved in the club's support for those bereaved and attended funeral services of those who died.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Trevor's wife Sue, sons Darren and Ian, daughter Danielle and his five grandchildren at this difficult time," Leeds said in their statement.

Having progressed through the ranks at Huddersfield at the start of his playing career, making 185 appearances and winning the Second Division title, Cherry impressed Leeds boss Don Revie enough to seek him as a potential replacement for Jack Charlton.

The versatile defender became a dependable figure at Leeds in a 10-year spell, covering for the injured Terry Cooper at full-back and then forging a partnership at the heart of the defence with Norman Hunter - who died on 17 April.

He was part of a successful group of Leeds players to be given the freedom of the city in 2019, for their achievements on the field.

Under Revie he played in the 1973 European Cup Winners' Cup final and also in the FA Cup final defeat by Sunderland that same year.

The 1-0 defeat against the Second Division side was famous for a remarkable double save from goalkeeper Jimmy Montgomery, the first of which denied Cherry's header.

• Like 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

^^  He`d also battled back from cancer too about a year or so ago, sad news! 

• Like 1

Terribly sad news tonight with Trevor Cherry. 

Met both Norman Hunter and Trevor Cherry at a sports bar opening in Leeds October 1996 I was with my 7yo (at the time) boy. It was the same day Newcastle beat Man Utd 5-0 and there was lots of smiles and laughs from the pair throughout the Sunday afternoon as Newcastle piled in the goals. 

Could not have met a more friendly, engaging, caring, down to earth bloke as Trevor Cherry. He went out of his way to make sure my son and myself were looked after. Sad that within 12 days these two good friends, legends and greats have both passed. RIP 

• Like 1

Very sad news Trevor  Cherry passing away at not such an old age. The line up from the Glory Days is depleating. RIP.

MOT 

• Like 1

Sad news about Trevor Cherry - not always considered one of the Revie greats, but was an excellent left full-back

who replaced Terry Cooper in the early seventies.

Marked Johan Cruyff out of both games in the European Cup semi finals of 1975, but wasn't picked for the final.

Only Leeds player to be England Captain while on the Club's books.

RIP  

Edited by Captain Dave

4 hours ago, Rambuttri village said:

Terribly sad news tonight with Trevor Cherry. 

Met both Norman Hunter and Trevor Cherry at a sports bar opening in Leeds October 1996 I was with my 7yo (at the time) boy. It was the same day Newcastle beat Man Utd 5-0 and there was lots of smiles and laughs from the pair throughout the Sunday afternoon as Newcastle piled in the goals. 

Could not have met a more friendly, engaging, caring, down to earth bloke as Trevor Cherry. He went out of his way to make sure my son and myself were looked after. Sad that within 12 days these two good friends, legends and greats have both passed. RIP 

Thanks for sharing your memory, I never had the pleasure of meeting him.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2020 at 12:17, vimto66 said:

I'm not sure if i'm repeating myself (I've had a few rums) but the Netflix series 'Sunderland till I die' is well worth a watch.

Even my Thai wife realised the series was about a lot more than football.

Personally I've never had much time for them (73 is still a raw wound) but the series brilliantly brings out why football

is in no way 'just a game' - as some ignoramuses suggest. 

On 26/04/2020 at 07:27, kansuwan said:

Coventry has a football club??? :rolleyes:

Jimmy Hill was their manager for a time, they designed their main stand on his chin.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Dave said:

I'm not sure if i'm repeating myself (I've had a few rums) but the Netflix series 'Sunderland till I die' is well worth a watch.

Even my Thai wife realised the series was about a lot more than football.

Personally I've never had much time for them (73 is still a raw wound) but the series brilliantly brings out why football

is in no way 'just a game' - as some ignoramuses suggest. 

Not seen it myself but im certainly aware of it, i`ll probably get round to watching it sometime!

11 hours ago, gazO said:

Thanks for sharing mate - much appreciated.

MOT

2 minutes ago, vimto66 said:

Not seen it myself but im certainly aware of it, i`ll probably get round to watching it sometime!

Really good documentary, follows them from relegation from the Premier league and down to league one.

Excellent at showing the behind-the-scenes mayhem (financial as well as football) and particularly what it meant to the town,

who have - to say the least -  had a hard few decades.

It gets my 5* recommendation for anyone interested in the beautiful game, and as I mentioned, it has such drama that even my

Thai wife - whose interest in football begins and ends with David Beckham's ass - enjoyed it..

Some great goals from Trevor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On this day....

......to stay up ...... unfortunately help another team. 

When Leeds fans say Bournemouth Brighton etc are small clubs in comparison to Leeds I chuckle. Leeds haven't got a pot to piss in, in comparison to the money and wealth those clubs have despite their aparent world wide status/identity and global shirt sales they make out they have lol. I also see Leeds fans saying we will be top 6 with the majority of our squad with just a few tweaks it's absolutely hilarious, that squad won't get off the bottom all season. It's totally different up there to the premier they were in 15 years ago. 

1 hour ago, tez4life said:

When Leeds fans say Bournemouth Brighton etc are small clubs in comparison to Leeds I chuckle. Leeds haven't got a pot to piss in, in comparison to the money and wealth those clubs have despite their aparent world wide status/identity and global shirt sales they make out they have lol. I also see Leeds fans saying we will be top 6 with the majority of our squad with just a few tweaks it's absolutely hilarious, that squad won't get off the bottom all season. It's totally different up there to the premier they were in 15 years ago. 

You are entitled to your opinion, even when a hopelessly inept and inaccurate one.

Firstly as discussed at length, being a big club has little to do with current bank balance and anyway neither Brighton or Bournemouth

are exactly rolling in clover - their wage bills eat up most of the revenue.

As Sunderland has shown, as soon as the TV money dries up there is little or nothing left over, that is why the likes of those clubs

are terrified of relegation.

I accept that the really big clubs such as Tottenham, Arsenal, Man City etc are more solidly financed.

As for how we will do if/when promoted, well with Marcelo Bielsa working his magic and the cash boost of Premiership

membership allowing squad strengthening, I suspect Leeds will do quite well.

Even the current squad is fairly decent and can play good football - as Arsenal found out in the Cup. 

Wolves have done reasonably well in their move up, as have Sheffield Utd which kind of disproves your theory about 

Championship outfits being unable to compete and recent history does not show the same clubs always going up and down.

I forgive you for not knowing that our owner has also lined up a massive several hundred million quid cash injection from Qatar.

Lastly there is history and precedent - we came second in our first season after promotion under Revie and in the 90's won the League

on our second year up. Not saying we will do the same this time, but you read it here first.

Not sure who you support - be brave and let us know and we'll be able to compare notes after we play you.

Edited by Captain Dave
  • Like 1

30 years ago on this day since Leeds won the then Division two title at Bournemouth with a 1-0 win. Bournemouth were relegated along with Bradford City and Stoke. Seems like only yesterday the hot weather and all our fans celebrating on Bournemouth beaches :Party3:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rambuttri village said:

30 years ago on this day since Leeds won the then Division two title at Bournemouth with a 1-0 win. Bournemouth were relegated along with Bradford City and Stoke. Seems like only yesterday the hot weather and all our fans celebrating on Bournemouth beaches :Party3:

......and getting arrested for smashing up the town and terrorizing locals!:P

• Haha 1

I read a twitter thread this week where an American guy had just watched "Take Us Home" and was completely intrigued. I think he was just a sport(s) fan and had channel-hopped onto the documentary, looking for something.

He then asked the LUFC twitter world  - if I decide to become a Leeds fan, what should I expect ?

The response was overwhelmingly a combination of "Welcome." Followed by  "joy and heartache" "heartache and joy".

On 06/05/2020 at 15:00, vimto66 said:

......and getting arrested for smashing up the town and terrorizing locals!:P

I lived in Bournemouth for two years and saw more damage caused by hen parties.

Still, the media love to invent mayhem and debauchery for their readers.