Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Best Fish & Chips in Pattaya

onlyonetwo

On 16/12/2017 at 06:38, Edge said:

What you wound up with on your plate next day could vary a lot from the bullets we got with school dinners through to a sort of soup I think they called Pease Pudding oop North, depending on how long thepeas were soaked and how long they sat simmering on the Rayburn.

I'm from South London, and pease-pudding was regularly served at our house as a kid, I think my Dad had got the taste for it when in the Navy at the very end of WW2 ?  You can still buy a reasonable tinned pease-pudding down-South, even today.

When I lived in Stockholm, they regularly served a thick pea-&-ham soup on a Friday, I believe because many people had fond memories of it, from their National-Service days?  Very warming, when the temperature is down below -20*C !

But better than mushy-peas was chip-shop curry-sauce, over a bag of chips ! :rolleyes:

I had the cod & chips from Robins Nest yesterday.I thought the Cod/ chips was on a special Fri/Sat for 249Baht.but not this Sat because of the Approaching NY.

I was politely imformed sorry sir not on special so I ordered any way as I had my mind set on F/C and a SM stupidity not asking how mutt..

i had a quick look at my tab F/C 325 Baht for a moment I thought I was sitting in my local Chippy in the UK. I quickly snapped out of this moment of day dreaming when the meal arrived.

Quick review 

Cod below average size portion extremely soggy uneatable batter

Chips not actual chips but French fries served cold about 25 in total

Peas over cooked uneatable solid as air gun pellets.

Tartare sauce was ok the best part of the meal about from the SM

Edited by Pheat

43 minutes ago, Pheat said:

I had the cod & chips from Robins Nest yesterday.I thought the Cod/ chips was on a special Fri/Sat for 249Baht.but not this Sat because of the Approaching NY.

I was politely imformed sorry sir not on special so I ordered any way as I had my mind set on F/C and a SM stupidity not asking how mutt..

i had a quick look at my tab F/C 325 Baht for a moment I thought I was sitting in my only Chippy in the UK. I quickly snapped out of this moment of day dreaming when the meal arrived.

Quick review 

Cod below average size portion extremely soggy uneatable batter

Chips not actual chips but French fries served cold about 25 in total

Peas over cooked uneatable solid as air gun pellets.

Tartare sauce was ok the best part of the meal about from the SM

Never rated that place for food, so many better alternatives

39 minutes ago, splitpin said:

Never rated that place for food, so many better alternatives

Yep totally agree but not many when you are after Cod/ chips.

• Like 2

Yeah always thought robin's nest was average for the price paid. 

Friendly waitresses though, but so are agogo girls when you buy them a LD :)

I always liked it @Robins Nest. Have to find out in a couple of weeks if it really has gone downhill, would be a shame. 

01.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

coming to tree town/buakaow about opposite soi 21 and where the elephant bar/fire and ice used to be..................

5b705b453381c_12august004(Custom).JPG.9b54211ba6678e86a7a2b8bcb234472d.JPG

On 8/12/2018 at 23:07, striderman said:

coming to tree town/buakaow about opposite soi 21 and where the elephant bar/fire and ice used to be..................

5b705b453381c_12august004(Custom).JPG.9b54211ba6678e86a7a2b8bcb234472d.JPG

Definitely on my list to try in the very near future, if they are anywhere near as good as the ones I am used to then they will have a very regular customer.   Thanks for posting this.

• Like 1

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 04:56, udontony said:

Definitely on my list to try in the very near future, if they are anywhere near as good as the ones I am used to then they will have a very regular customer.   Thanks for posting this.

So I take it this place is not operating yet as a friend of mine was today looking for it at Tree Town, is the location right as he has an apartment in Soi 21. think the photo above is a little miss leading.

1 hour ago, Rainsberger said:

So I take it this place is not operating yet as a friend of mine was today looking for it at Tree Town, is the location right as he has an apartment in Soi 21. think the photo above is a little miss leading.

nope, the photo is spot on

it is almost opposite soi 21..........and .about 40 ft into tree  town inc crossing buakaow from the TT exchange on the corner

there was a sign up on sunday saying opening 20th although it did not look like it would achieve that target

Edited by striderman

13 hours ago, Rainsberger said:

deffo open today. no menu i could spot to take a pic of

if he can't find this place from soi 21 then he should have gone to spec savers

5b7bd7a0ec34a_21august017(Custom).JPG.0a0c7cd7360afb87d628ea7cbe473f2d.JPG

and now spin round..............

5b7bd7c0435d2_21august018(Custom).JPG.486b27d3e4fac8554038de6a675cd481.JPG

soi 21

5b7bd7d9d97f5_21august021(Custom).JPG.3d8abf60509cf4ec920162eec3501d7f.JPG

the view from the back with soi 21 dead ahead

special price 229 baht for take away :Laugh1:.......blaady good luck I say......and they will need it sorry :Blur:

5 hours ago, petermik said:

special price 229 baht for take away :Laugh1:.......blaady good luck I say......and they will need it sorry :Blur:

You will never get cod for 100B here.

• Like 2

Normal price for cod loin in supermarkets here in the UK is about £15 a kg. That makes it about £3, or 130 baht, just for the piece of raw fish.

229 baht for cod & chips in Pattaya is a good price, if it’s good. Can’t compare with the local farmed crap served up in many places to people who know no better.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Agree with Davidge 229 Baht  (£5.73) is not expensive considering in the UK it is around £5.00 now and that is only for a small cod.

The cheapest i have seen cod n chips is fryday at new plaza 180b which has great chunky chips but looking at the photo they seem to be the thin style there,i will try out on sunday 229b is ok for cod.

On 8/24/2018 at 11:31, petermik said:

On 8/24/2018 at 17:00, davidge said:

229 baht for cod & chips in Pattaya is a good price, if it’s good. Can’t compare with the local farmed crap served up in many places to people who know no better.

On 8/24/2018 at 17:29, overseas516 said:

Agree with Davidge 229 Baht  (£5.73) is not expensive considering in the UK it is around £5.00 now and that is only for a small cod.

Gents....I,ve been living here nearly 5 years and I know soi Buk well,seen many businesses open and close in my time and in the main its all down to pricing,I,m not here to discuss the merits of cod/haddock or dory fish I,m simply taking about pricing in this area.......there will always be guys happy to pay a premium for any commodity,unfortunately not enough to keep many businesses going here.Just a few metres away from this new  place is a well established air conditioned restaurant where you can sit down in comfort and enjoy "fish and chips" for 169 baht (159 on fridays) also just 3 minute walk away in LK Metro there is a take away doing a very good trade selling fish and chips for 130 baht....both these establishments will still be trading when Yorkshire fish and chips has gone due to lack of customers prepared to pay premium prices.....I hope I,m wrong and the owner finds a niche market but I,m not holding my breath :Blur:

My local Glasgow west end fish and chip shop sold perfect fish and chips for £3.50 including a can of drink. Falang restaurants in pattaya often take the piss with pricing

Several chippies within a couple of miles or so of me. Cheapest one, which isn’t very good, is now £5.25 for a small cod & chips.

The decent ones are £6.50-£7 now - though it’s a very large cod in most of them.

It’s far from an affluent or expensive area here. Cod & haddock have become much more expensive with the restrictions on fishing.

• Like 2

F19BC159-E682-492F-8943-6A591C8E37CC.thumb.jpeg.9cd5cf9fb4294df9c79b1f7a7dab23d7.jpeg

£7.75

You haven't a snowballs chance of getting that in Pattaya.

Proper fresh fish and chips cooked in beef lard.

3 hours ago, Scuba+ said:
21 hours ago, overseas516 said:

My local Glasgow west end fish and chip shop sold perfect fish and chips for £3.50 including a can of drink. Falang restaurants in pattaya often take the piss with pricing

Maybe £3.50 in 1998. Its now nearer £10 

Maybe £3.50 in 1998. Its now nearer £10 
July 2018, lunchtime supper £3.50, £4.00 after 3pm
  • Like 1