IGNORED

Best Fish & Chips in Pattaya

onlyonetwo

Anyone that recommends somewhere for fish & chips that serves the local crap farmed fish and not cod or haddock needs to be utterly ignored.

Serving frozen chips and not ones made from actual, real, unprocessed potatoes is almost as bad.

Mushy peas is a MUST as is good tartare sauce. Most places in Pattaya seem to serve a cheap, creamy version.

The best fish & chips I've had in recent visits is at Simon's in Jomtien. On the right just after you turn towards the arch & beach. Don't order the special, order the cod. Regular size always enough for me.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

28 minutes ago, davidge said:

Anyone that recommends somewhere for fish & chips that serves the local crap farmed fish and not cod or haddock needs to be utterly ignored.

Serving frozen chips and not ones made from actual, real, unprocessed potatoes is almost as bad.

Mushy peas is a MUST as is good tartare sauce. Most places in Pattaya seem to serve a cheap, creamy version.

The best fish & chips I've had in recent visits is at Simon's in Jomtien. On the right just after you turn towards the arch & beach. Don't order the special, order the cod. Regular size always enough for me.

Agree first part.....Batter & Chips is just cheap gut filler.
Simon's was OK when Simon owned it, even while he was trying to sell it....well if he was there anyway.

The guy he sold it to (Norwegian?) didn't seem interested, but TBH I only tried it once or maybe twice and not for ages.
Now it's up for sale again maybe the current owner is trying harder?

Thing is, it's not exactly Pattaya anyway (has Golden Friar given up?) and if I travel there nowadays I'm more likely to go for Pie & Mash in Tinnie's...sorry.

30 minutes ago, Edge said:

Agree first part.....Batter & Chips is just cheap gut filler.
Simon's was OK when Simon owned it, even while he was trying to sell it....well if he was there anyway.

The guy he sold it to (Norwegian?) didn't seem interested, but TBH I only tried it once or maybe twice and not for ages.
Now it's up for sale again maybe the current owner is trying harder?

Thing is, it's not exactly Pattaya anyway (has Golden Friar given up?) and if I travel there nowadays I'm more likely to go for Pie & Mash in Tinnie's...sorry.

I spoke to the owner during my last trip. Norwegian sounds right. Didn't know it was for sale again. It's been the same katoey in charge of the daily running for ages. If you mean Golden Friar in Jomtien, it closed over 2 years ago.

Went twice (to Simons I mean) during my last trip and it was pretty good. Room for improvement, but pretty good nonetheless. 

I haven't tried the places on New Plaza & Lengkee so can't compare with them.

Heads & shoulders above what is served at P&W, Rosie's etc etc though.

Edited by davidge

3 minutes ago, davidge said:

I spoke to the owner during my last trip. Norwegian sounds right. Didn't know it was for sale again. It's been the same katoey in charge of the daily running for ages. If you mean Golden Friar in Jomtien, it closed over 2 years ago.

Went twice during my last trip and it was pretty good. Room for improvement, but pretty good nonetheless. 

I haven't tried the places on New Plaza & Lengkee so can't compare with them.

Heads & shoulders above what is served at P&W, Rosie's etc etc though.

Yes Golden Friar was twin to Jolly Friar set up by the same guy (Ian) who later set up Steak & Co.
It was a straight copy except that it was obviously pitched at the Russian market....who mostly left.

P&W Special (don't know if they do Cod off the Menu) is just gut filler (you could see the plates of concrete batter going back) and they use the Pangassius farmed Catfish from the Viet Mekong Delta which some call Dory.....it is undeniably and understandably very cheap.   :Puke2:

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Yes Golden Friar was twin to Jolly Friar set up by the same guy (Ian) who later set up Steak & Co.
It was a straight copy except that it was obviously pitched at the Russian market....who mostly left.

P&W Special (don't know if they do Cod off the Menu) is just gut filler (you could see the plates of concrete batter going back) and they use the Pangassius farmed Catfish from the Viet Mekong Delta which some call Dory.....it is undeniably and understandably very cheap.   :Puke2:

That photo of the Jolly Friar next to Juice took me back a few years :-)   I heard good things about the F&C at Jolly Friar recently, I'm glad to hear it's still doing well 9 ish  years later 

3 minutes ago, steak&co said:

That photo of the Jolly Friar next to Juice took me back a few years :-)   I heard good things about the F&C at Jolly Friar recently, I'm glad to hear it's still doing well 9 ish  years later 

Yes JF nose dived for a bit back there mainly due to fish supply probs I think but for the past year or so it's been back at the top of the game.....would hardly know you're not still there.  :P

48 minutes ago, Edge said:

Yes JF nose dived for a bit back there mainly due to fish supply probs I think but for the past year or so it's been back at the top of the game.....would hardly know you're not still there.  :P

Yes it had a few owners, some Thai and I suffered as a result. I hear the new owner is a nice Ozzy bloke. Good on him for fixing it. 

Just recently tried Robin Hood Friday fish and chip special. Genuine cod, decentvportion with thick cut home made style chunky chips and mushy peas. 

Superb value in good clean air con sports style bar with super friendly staff, free parking at 259 baht is highly recommended. 

19 minutes ago, Jay Wobble said:

Just recently tried Robin Hood Friday fish and chip special. Genuine cod, decentvportion with thick cut home made style chunky chips and mushy peas. 

Superb value in good clean air con sports style bar with super friendly staff, free parking at 259 baht is highly recommended. 

I had it once and it was quite good but very small portions, esp that tiny little egg cup the peas come in.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2017 at 17:49, Edge said:

Thanks Edge. Just to be sure, you order the Atlantic Cod? Not the local farmed crap? Cheers mate.

Edited by Jebb

image.png

6 minutes ago, Jebb said:

Thanks Edge. Just to be sure, you order the Atlantic Cod? Not the local farmed crap? Cheers mate.

I never eat that cheap charley farmed Pangassius no.....

.....you are what you eat they say. :rolleyes:

The medium is plenty for me.

4 minutes ago, Edge said:

Cheers, thanks mate.

image.png

Treated myself to a fish supper in The Jolly Friar a couple of weeks ago.

Its decent - plenty of flesh in the fish which is well fried and the chips were surprisingly good - home made presumably.

Cod doesn't have that much in the way of flavour - as mentioned above I was more used to Haddock from good old fashioned Scottish chippies which is more tasty IMHO - but this still does the job.

unnamed (22).jpg

• Like 2

I used to love Huss and chips as a kid also called rock salmon or dogfish, big chunks of meat no small bones and just a thick long spine up the center i believe its nearly all fished out havent seen it in years and dory which is mainly sold here is no where as good as cod. been jolly friar many times never had a complaint   

Edited by Blinddodger

10 hours ago, Edge said:

"you are what you eat"?

I guess that would make "most" of us on the board, just a bunch of "pussies".

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 00:45, Blinddodger said:

I used to love Huss and chips as a kid also called rock salmon or dogfish, big chunks of meat no small bones and just a thick long spine up the center i believe its nearly all fished out havent seen it in years and dory which is mainly sold here is no where as good as cod. been jolly friar many times never had a complaint   

“Dory” or “Pacific Dory” is pangasius, a farmed freshwater fish, never been in the Pacific.

About 'Dory', yes a catfish Pangassius which can cope with brackish waters, mainly farmed by Viets in the Mekong delta.....cheaper than chips and polluting the F&C world.

Google the 'Dory Scam'......or look here  -  http://www.dietmindspirit.org/2008/01/30/why-you-shouldnt-eat-this-fish-pangas-pangasius-vietnamese-river-cobbler-white-catfish-gray-sole/

1 hour ago, Houten Kop said:

So, which pub/restaurant still serves cod or haddock in Pattaya ?

Not many Cod and I haven't seen Haddock for years.

As posted above, the Retox bars do a Cod special on Fridays.

2 minutes ago, Edge said:

Not many Cod and I haven't seen Haddock for years.

As posted above, the Retox bars do a Cod special on Fridays.

Simon's in Jomtien has Haddock on the menu but says 'if available'. I haven't actually asked for it but guess it's probably not available??

7 minutes ago, davidge said:

Simon's in Jomtien has Haddock on the menu but says 'if available'. I haven't actually asked for it but guess it's probably not available??

Last time I saw it in a wholesaler's was in the one behind BigCExtra...I should look...Goose's used to be 400 +.

Anyway this is about Pattaya, Jomtien is about 90 day reporting and Tinnies Pies.  :P

19 minutes ago, Edge said:

Last time I saw it in a wholesaler's was in the one behind BigCExtra...I should look...Goose's used to be 400 +.

Anyway this is about Pattaya, Jomtien is about 90 day reporting and Tinnies Pies.  :P

And a higher class of resident.

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Isn't everyone gay in Jomtien?

A lot fewer katoeys though.

27 minutes ago, davidge said:

And a higher class of resident.

Are you back, thought you'd fcuked off ?:P

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Isn't everyone gay in Jomtien?

Only the farang who go there for the boyz....the boyz have TGF work Pattaya.