IGNORED

Best Fish & Chips in Pattaya

onlyonetwo

28 minutes ago, Pheat said:

How much is a large cod now from JF?

Sorry but I didn't even look at the menu.

I usually order the Medium and everything you see in the photo used to be 304 Baht.
I looked last time and saw that the Large was only 80 Baht more, so I was expecting the bill to be 384 Baht.
It was 484 Baht and the portion size was IMO Medium not Large.

I saw that the Water and the Mushy Peas had each gone up 10 Baht, but I don't know the other prices.
I'm not at all happy and if I go again I'll order the basic Medium Cod & Chips (or Mash) only.

1 hour ago, Edge said:

It was 484 Baht and the portion size was IMO Medium not Large.

Ouch a lot of JF customers are expats this major price increase will lose JF a lot of their customers without a doubt.

484 baht for what was in the photo?

Bloody hell!

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

2 hours ago, davidge said:

484 baht for what was in the photo?

Bloody hell!

Eggsackly.

I shall go back once more if only to confirm the new prices.

Might not be til Friday though.  :rolleyes:

OK, I know I am a complete Philistine but my favourite F&C  is when I stagger back to my guesthouse even with "company" or without, the F&C stand at the top of LKM nearest soi Baukhoa although this may be because more often it is a  LLT. 

18 hours ago, Cheetos said:

ok i may get blasted for this but here goes!  What is the consensus on Sizzler lunch special fish and french fries?  Does that qualify?  I think it is processed fish?  Pretty cheap though and comes with salad bar.

I have lunch at Sizzler at least once a week. It is far and away the best salad bar that I have ever seen in Pattaya at the price. Indeed it's one of the few good salad bars I've seen in Thailand at all.

When I go at lunchtime I always order the fish and chips, not because I like the fish but because I like the chips. The chips are mass-produced but very good: crisp and light, and not those soggy droopy greasy things one generally finds here (and which are visible in many photos in this topic).

The fish is panga, coated and fried. I find the coating a bit over the top so I remove most of it and just eat the fish fillet inside. The fish tastes like panga as one would expect: so fairly bland but not unpleasant. The seafood sauce provided with it improves the taste. The serving is very small but no one in his right mind would go there for the fish: you go for the salad. If you dont fancy fish then for an extra 30B you can have a fairly decent hamburger steak with a rather sweet teriyaki/mushroom sauce. Or you can pay 10B less and have just the salad bar, which is plenty anyway. I am happy to pay 10B extra for the chips.

A particular favourite of mine in the salad bar is the spicy mushroom soup. They also have pasta which I never touch. Apart from that there is a wide selection of salad ingredients, sauces, condiments, extras, and also mixed salads. These vary every few weeks.

They have also recently improved the range of desserts which now includes a quite nice creamy thing with an acidic fruit sauce topping. Casa Pascal does a very similar dessert in its buffet. The other desserts at Sizzler are not so nice, but they do have fresh fruit.

This (fairly) healthy and varied lunchtime meal at Sizzler is better quality and better value than any non-promotional meal I have ever had for the same price or less anywhere in Pattaya. No exceptions. I remember eating in Sizzler in the Royal Garden 25 or more years ago. It was good value then and it still is. Well done Bill Heinecke.

6 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I have lunch at Sizzler at least once a week. It is far and away the best salad bar that I have ever seen in Pattaya at the price. Indeed it's one of the few good salad bars I've seen in Thailand at all.

When I go at lunchtime I always order the fish and chips, not because I like the fish but because I like the chips. The chips are mass-produced but very good: crisp and light, and not those soggy droopy greasy things one generally finds here (and which are visible in many photos in this topic).

The fish is panga, coated and fried. I find the coating a bit over the top so I remove most of it and just eat the fish fillet inside. The fish tastes like panga as one would expect: so fairly bland but not unpleasant. The seafood sauce provided with it improves the taste. The serving is very small but no one in his right mind would go there for the fish: you go for the salad. If you dont fancy fish then for an extra 30B you can have a fairly decent hamburger steak with a rather sweet teriyaki/mushroom sauce. Or you can pay 10B less and have just the salad bar, which is plenty anyway. I am happy to pay 10B extra for the chips.

A particular favourite of mine in the salad bar is the spicy mushroom soup. They also have pasta which I never touch. Apart from that there is a wide selection of salad ingredients, sauces, condiments, extras, and also mixed salads. These vary every few weeks.

They have also recently improved the range of desserts which now includes a quite nice creamy thing with an acidic fruit sauce topping. Casa Pascal does a very similar dessert in its buffet. The other desserts at Sizzler are not so nice, but they do have fresh fruit.

This (fairly) healthy and varied lunchtime meal at Sizzler is better quality and better value than any non-promotional meal I have ever had for the same price or less anywhere in Pattaya. No exceptions. I remember eating in Sizzler in the Royal Garden 25 or more years ago. It was good value then and it still is. Well done Bill Heinecke.

Sorry I have not trawled the whole post but how much is the meal? Where is sizzler?

1 minute ago, geezerrb said:

Sorry I have not trawled the whole post but how much is the meal? Where is sizzler?

Fish, chips, salad bar, water is 207B weekday lunchtimes. There's one in Central and one in Royal Garden.

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Fish, chips, salad bar, water is 207B weekday lunchtimes. There's one in Central and one in Royal Garden.

Lunchtimes for me are more likely to be tin cup or other places I am now finding are as cheap and providing what I class as lunch food "cooked", I am not savvy enough to link in other posts I have responded to but I avoid "salad" always for me a dangerous choice for my constitution.

Here endeth the Best Fish & Chip thread.

R.I.P.

12 hours ago, Edge said:

Here endeth the Best Fish & Chip thread.

R.I.P.

I`ve got the distinct impression you like fish and chips!:laugh:

36 minutes ago, vimto66 said:

I`ve got the distinct impression you like fish and chips!:laugh:

Not just any old fish though...from the Ocean not the Mekong is a good start.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to P&W last night and ordered Fish and chips.  I was served up a pitiful little piece of fish buried somewhere in the overcooked ballon of greasy batter, and at 250 baht, I would have also liked more than 7 thin chips. I will never go back there.

Edited by filmitchell

Pangasius/'Dory' is what it is (mush) and apparently P&W are still double battering it...I suspect it's pre-cooked then rebattered/refried.
At 250 try Fryday's Cod......but no A/C unfortunately.

I went back to JF for the Medium Cod.....with Mushy Peas and a Water it was 304 and now it's 380 so a 25% hike.
Still the best IMO.

Edited by Edge

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2017 at 12:45, Edge said:

Pangasius/'Dory' is what it is (mush) and apparently P&W are still double battering it...I suspect it's pre-cooked then rebattered/refried.
At 250 try Fryday's Cod......but no A/C unfortunately.

I went back to JF for the Medium Cod.....with Mushy Peas and a Water it was 304 and now it's 380 so a 25% hike.
Still the best IMO.

Was at Frydays today...

Cod / chips is 190 Baht.....

Its Haddock / chips that's 250 Baht....

Had the cod / chips and pretty darn sensational imho

• Like 2

I'll have to go back to Frydays soon.
Edit - So incl Mushy Peas the Haddock is about the same as Retox group...usually nice A/C but Queens Arms hot & sweaty same as Frydays.

I tried Queens Arms today, part of the Retox group with Haddock on Special at 299  hmmm

Everything was OK including the Haddock but it seems that the chewy batter I got at Robin Hood is Retox standard hmmm pity.

20171215_192518.thumb.jpg.4b68b627b6b08656ef73266bc60b1f51.jpg

Edited by Edge
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Edge said:

I tried Queens Arms today, part of the Retox group with Haddock on Special at 299  hmmm

Would you go back for the same again?

11 minutes ago, Pheat said:

Would you go back for the same again?

I might, but no rush and definitely not to the Queen's Arms branch of Retox...at that price I want A/C really.
For about 40 Baht more the Cod at JF is still better value IMO.

I went only because it was Haddock and the fish itself was good, as was everything else except the consistency (tough and chewy) of the batter.
I'd hoped it was just a Robin Hood thing.
If I recommended it and someone came back and said it wasn't all that I'd say yes I know.  :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, striderman said:

i have no truck with mushy peas, never have never will

As more of a dipping sauce than a vegetable portion they can be OK..........

..............as a body rub, no not really.   :rolleyes:

Born of necessity in the days before freezers were invented, I can still remember putting a carton of dried peas to soak overnight in water and the bicarbonate of soda which came in the box.
What you wound up with on your plate next day could vary a lot from the bullets we got with school dinners through to a sort of soup I think they called Pease Pudding oop North, depending on how long thepeas were soaked and how long they sat simmering on the Rayburn.
It used to benefit from the addition of Mint from the garden in our household but never looks too appetising so some add some colouring...remember NeeRoy's overdid that in the puddle of it they used to pour on your plate.
Nowadays I wonder where some of the concoctions originate and mushy peas in a can seems a bit perverse to me, but the Harry Ramsden brand ones do taste quite good.

5 hours ago, Edge said:

I'd hoped it was just a Robin Hood thing.

Making a decent batter and heating the oil to the right temperature before plonking in the fish is a real issue in restaurants attempting F/C in Pattaya .Plenty Of vids on Utube showing how 555

20 minutes ago, Pheat said:

Making a decent batter and heating the oil to the right temperature before plonking in the fish is a real issue in restaurants attempting F/C in Pattaya .Plenty Of vids on Utube showing how 555

Yes, it's perhaps the use of the small fryers they use, yet Frydays copes quite well and I've had some good results with a Wok.

For anyone who doesn't know, or has forgotten, how a large portion of Haddock should really come out of the pan...........

5a3463ab665de_FishnChips.jpg.8d816a61541e04060a4120c1a696ac65.jpg

• Like 4

With a plethora of F & C options on Friday nts now within the ghetto buakow triangle of sois I thought would try the Devonshire, soi Lengkee cod n chips @ 249bt.

Its an open air restaurant and plenty of fans on keeping the heat down with basic English foods.

The 2 lumps of cod when it arrived was obviously frozen before as still wet inside  even though batter was crispy....ok... but with a few burnt chips and peas.

Bit disappointing so won’t be rushing back.

Had tried my old regular JF previously as the standard F & C there is now 220bt using local fish so thought trying the Devonshire it might be better.

The Queens is an option but pushing over 300bt for a F & C Haddock meal is getting exp for here?

Edited by stickyfingers
  • Like 2

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"