Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Best Fish & Chips in Pattaya

onlyonetwo

The "world famous" Retox is now selling a giant 700g of cod + chips + peas for B599.  Even I'm not enough of a pig to eat that though.  

Their regular haddock + chips + peas looks like B299.

Retox.jpg.e56cb269ea691a589447ef230234d169.jpg

16 hours ago, petermik said:

Gents....I,ve been living here nearly 5 years and I know soi Buk well,seen many businesses open and close in my time and in the main its all down to pricing,I,m not here to discuss the merits of cod/haddock or dory fish I,m simply taking about pricing in this area.......there will always be guys happy to pay a premium for any commodity,unfortunately not enough to keep many businesses going here.Just a few metres away from this new  place is a well established air conditioned restaurant where you can sit down in comfort and enjoy "fish and chips" for 169 baht (159 on fridays) also just 3 minute walk away in LK Metro there is a take away doing a very good trade selling fish and chips for 130 baht....both these establishments will still be trading when Yorkshire fish and chips has gone due to lack of customers prepared to pay premium prices.....I hope I,m wrong and the owner finds a niche market but I,m not holding my breath :Blur:

Yes i think that's the one i go to, Panini. Fish and chips on a Friday 159 baht. Very acceptable and you sit in an a/c restaurant to eat it with free wifi.

3 hours ago, chris2004 said:

Yes i think that's the one i go to, Panini. Fish and chips on a Friday 159 baht. Very acceptable and you sit in an a/c restaurant to eat it with free wifi.

09408309-1D7D-4F40-82EE-7881F540EB64.thumb.jpeg.db9867e3948cf01750ca5af98de89a48.jpeg

Pangasius. Farmed. Fed all sorts of drugs/chemicals.

#KnowWhatYoureEating

:rolleyes:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

No such thing as "good fish and chips" in Thailand. Can only be made with fresh North Atlantic cod or haddock. Only available frozen here. Would you buy a Birds Eye frozen cod steak and expect to produce decent fish and chips with it?

Same for chips, Thai varieties of potato just don't make great chips. 90% of chips in Pattaya are frozen.

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 02:10, Peeping Tom said:

Does Tropical on Soi Khao Noi still exist?

They moved across the road with a big car park in front.

13 hours ago, davidge said:

09408309-1D7D-4F40-82EE-7881F540EB64.thumb.jpeg.db9867e3948cf01750ca5af98de89a48.jpeg

#KnowWhatYoureEating

Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like fish and chips is off the menu in Pattaya for me.

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 20:56, davidge said:

F19BC159-E682-492F-8943-6A591C8E37CC.thumb.jpeg.9cd5cf9fb4294df9c79b1f7a7dab23d7.jpeg

£7.75

At The Sportsman on Soi 13 the fish portion is much larger.

Price about 300 baht though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, davidge said:

#KnowWhatYoureEating

Yes you are right but it's a bit of a trek to go to Whitby every Friday for my fish and chips.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, b0b said:

Maybe doesn’t show in pic but it’s a big fish - too much for me to eat in one sitting. Doesn’t actually fit on one of my dinner plates.

I can’t compare with Retox as I never go there, nor will I.

5 hours ago, chris2004 said:

Yes you are right but it's a bit of a trek to go to Whitby every Friday for my fish and chips.

Yes, but you can go to one of the places that serve cod or haddock rather than just generic ‘fish’. :P

Edited by davidge

special price 229 baht for take away :Laugh1:.......blaady good luck I say......and they will need it sorry :Blur:

Here we go again - another one that “won’t bloody pay more than 90 baht for the entire meal, and that better include 6 refills of heinies...”

Slightly off topic but by far the best fish I had last trip was the haddock fillet at Patrick’s.

Perfectly cooked, the lemon sauce was just right and it comes with your choice of potatoes or veg. I had baked potato but you can have fries to make it ‘fish & chips’ if you want :)

It was quite stunningly good. 450 baht.B4A4588D-A100-40EC-BFB1-3EF112071A6D.thumb.jpeg.cc8973020e373770a2f1e4888eefda2d.jpeg

• Like 3

On 24/08/2018 at 21:31, petermik said:

special price 229 baht for take away :Laugh1:.......blaady good luck I say......and they will need it sorry :Blur:

On 25/08/2018 at 21:13, petermik said:

Gents....I,ve been living here nearly 5 years and I know soi Buk well,seen many businesses open and close in my time and in the main its all down to pricing,I,m not here to discuss the merits of cod/haddock or dory fish I,m simply taking about pricing in this area.......there will always be guys happy to pay a premium for any commodity,unfortunately not enough to keep many businesses going here.Just a few metres away from this new  place is a well established air conditioned restaurant where you can sit down in comfort and enjoy "fish and chips" for 169 baht (159 on fridays) also just 3 minute walk away in LK Metro there is a take away doing a very good trade selling fish and chips for 130 baht....both these establishments will still be trading when Yorkshire fish and chips has gone due to lack of customers prepared to pay premium prices.....I hope I,m wrong and the owner finds a niche market but I,m not holding my breath :Blur:

On 27/08/2018 at 18:29, DaffyDuck said:

Here we go again - another one that “won’t bloody pay more than 90 baht for the entire meal, and that better include 6 refills of heinies...”

If you had cared to read both my posts and not just the one maybe you would have not jumped to such a ridiculous comment in reply......but then again  :ThumbDown1:

2 hours ago, davidge said:

Slightly off topic but by far the best fish I had last trip was the haddock fillet at Patrick’s.

Perfectly cooked, the lemon sauce was just right and it comes with your choice of potatoes or veg. I had baked potato but you can have fries to make it ‘fish & chips’ if you want :)

It was quite stunningly good. 450 baht.B4A4588D-A100-40EC-BFB1-3EF112071A6D.thumb.jpeg.cc8973020e373770a2f1e4888eefda2d.jpeg

Looks proper

On 26/08/2018 at 05:01, chris2004 said:

Think you mean Pitini restaurant Soi Baukaow Have Fish & Chips special on Tuesdays & Fridays at B159 but can asure you it's NOT cod nothing like it.

Quote: Is it cod?   Answer above.

On 27/08/2018 at 03:48, chris2004 said:

It's £13 for cod n chips at the Magpie cafe in Whitby. This is the place where tv chefs, actors, rock stars and politicians book tables whilst the rest of us queue for 2 hours to get in at this time of year.

Staggered past the queues quite a few times over the years lol.

7 minutes ago, Farmer1 said:

It's £13 for cod n chips at the Magpie cafe in Whitby. This is the place where tv chefs, actors, rock stars and politicians book tables whilst the rest of us queue for 2 hours to get in at this time of year.

Your getting the eyes sucked out the back of your head.

There is only so much you can do with fresh cod, fresh chips, batter and beef dripping.

I pay £6 for a haddock or cod supper in NI and i guarantee its as good as the magpie cafe.

I would avoid anywhere tv chefs went. 

On 8/25/2018 at 09:38, stubby said:

The cheapest i have seen cod n chips is fryday at new plaza 180b which has great chunky chips but looking at the photo they seem to be the thin style there,i will try out on sunday 229b is ok for cod.

Yorkshire fish and chips.   Now charge 190 baht for cod and chips.  The cod was really nice and well

cooked, the chips were home made and the best chips I have had anywhere in Thailand.   They really do deserve more custom, have walked by several times and not seen customers there all week.    

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

On 8/29/2018 at 00:17, Farmer1 said:

Used to go to the Magpie several times a year in the past but never had to queue too long for what I rate as the best fish meals anywhere in UK.   Used to go and queue for a while before they opened, get in on the first sitting or we went about an hour after they had opened and usually loads of people finished eating, queue went down very quick.   Magpie is one of the things that I miss most living in Thailand.

58 minutes ago, udontony said:

Yorkshire fish and chips.   Now charge 190 baht for cod and chips.  The cod was really nice and well

cooked, the chips were home made and the best chips I have had anywhere in Thailand.   They really do deserve more custom, have walked by several times and not seen customers there all week.    

will try love good chips but the location is a bit obscure if they move to road frontage for walk by traffic their chances increase.

2 hours ago, udontony said:

Sounds good. But, what, no peas mushy or otherwise? 

Edited by Kreggerz

21 hours ago, Kreggerz said:

Sounds good. But, what, no peas mushy or otherwise? 

They have a selection of extras on the menu, I was not so hungry, only had the fish and chips.   Think there was about five add ons you could order and mushy peas was on of them. 

23 minutes ago, udontony said:

They have a selection of extras on the menu, I was not so hungry, only had the fish and chips.   Think there was about five add ons you could order and mushy peas was on of them. 

Thanks. I walked by the other day looking for it and didn't find it until after I ate somewhere else. It was empty and looked kind of sad. They might benefit from more signage closer to the road. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 20:56, davidge said:

F19BC159-E682-492F-8943-6A591C8E37CC.thumb.jpeg.9cd5cf9fb4294df9c79b1f7a7dab23d7.jpeg

£7.75

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 04:51, b0b said:

Exactly 295 baht with a choice of garden peas or mushy peas and a smile of the waitresses.