IGNORED

Formula 1

Kim Jong Il

13 minutes ago, Pepe Le Pew said:

Yep, seems like a good deal for all but Mclaren who now get a 2nd rate engine. If Honda ups their game and RB grabs their engine where would that leave Porsche. I think that the fact no one knows what the 2021 engines will be like yet means that Porsche (VW) haven't done any more than express an interest in perhaps making one. Of course if they do that then perhaps, one day, maybe, they might buy a team. I think that article is stronging it a bit. It's similar to me saying if I have a couple of good years I might buy a boat and someone else reporting that I'm going to buy a boat, it will be 28ft long, Green, have 2 x 4.2 litre Mercury engines and be called Linda!

Looked to see what the spec will be for 2021 and it will not be a V12/10

But could be 4 ,5 OR 6 cyl V or straight normal aspired or turbo that has really narrowed it down. :D

1 minute ago, mbamber said:

Looked to see what the spec will be for 2021 and it will not be a V12/10

But could be 4 ,5 OR 6 cyl V or straight normal aspired or turbo that has really narrowed it down. :D

They had a meeting back in April, all current suppliers plus lots of others manufacturers attended, inc VW. They decided to keep generally the current configuration in terms of small capacity ICE with an MGU-K but to drop the MGU-H. Turbo'd engines are highly likely, just look at the way road cars are going. They'll also probably drop the fuel limits to some degree though an overall limit is likely, the current flow limit makes little sense. Noise is also a factor they want more of. Why is beyond me, I quite like the 'quieter' engines. Ok for those track side it may make a difference but most of us watch on TV so it's irrelevant plus I enjoy being able to hear other stuff such as tyre noise/screech etc. Anyway the main intent is to make it a hell of a lot cheaper to develop so that not just large car companys can afford but also people like Ilmor, Meccachrome and Cosworth. Idea's and input were noted and the 21 format is being worked on.

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/formula-1/f1-plans-cheaper-noisier-2021-engine-switch_sto6113864/story.shtml

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

24 minutes ago, Pepe Le Pew said:

They had a meeting back in April, all current suppliers plus lots of others manufacturers attended, inc VW. They decided to keep generally the current configuration in terms of small capacity ICE with an MGU-K but to drop the MGU-H. Turbo'd engines are highly likely, just look at the way road cars are going. They'll also probably drop the fuel limits to some degree though an overall limit is likely, the current flow limit makes little sense. Noise is also a factor they want more of. Why is beyond me, I quite like the 'quieter' engines. Ok for those track side it may make a difference but most of us watch on TV so it's irrelevant plus I enjoy being able to hear other stuff such as tyre noise/screech etc. Anyway the main intent is to make it a hell of a lot cheaper to develop so that not just large car companys can afford but also people like Ilmor, Meccachrome and Cosworth. Idea's and input were noted and the 21 format is being worked on.

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/formula-1/f1-plans-cheaper-noisier-2021-engine-switch_sto6113864/story.shtml

Fuel limit I can understand it encourages better efficiency. Cost of engines I would increase engine size & put in a rev limit about 10000 rpm less internal stress never going to be cheap because you are only making a handful of engines a year.

Fuel limit is fine but flow limit makes no sense.

It's not the cost of a unit, it's the development cost, plus it needs to be somewhat road relevant to attract manufacturers. Smaller capacity with turbo's, lean burn tech and hybrid systems is what we'll get. I suspect they'll make the hybrid tech stock though it would make sense to allow open development. Pushing limits in that area would interest car makers a lot.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Enaam Ahmed - Lots of people talking about this lad recently. Only 17, just dominated the BRDC GP3 season and looking at doing the Euro GP3 next year. Reminds me a lot of Hamilton, not just in his dominant aggressive style but in the way he comports himself. Also the fact that he doesn't come from money. 1 big difference is he has no backers at the moment and his parents are selling their house to finance his next season, Mansell style :) , so no pressure there then! You heard it here first, unless you already heard it elsewhere.

That said the last time I backed a youngster on PA it was Alexander Albon who, whilst still racing has not really shown any 'special' talent and therefore not had any F1 interest (I backed him to have an F1 test at some point) . He finished runner up to LeClerc in 2016 F3 but only managed 10th in F2 this year so a career in WEC or perhaps one of those American circle series beckons :)

RULES

1NQq.gif

I just heard an interesting rumour. The Sainz move means Kubica has been released by Renault and is talking to Williams. I don't know if he has budget but it's a much better bet than Jogon Palmer imo. Great comeback story if it happens, win win for all.

RULES

1NQq.gif

Re Timing of events, for those in Thailand, one handy source is the Udon News.

You can d/l the Pdf for the whole year.

http://udon-news.com/en/events/formula-1-calendar-2017-with-thai-start-times

For MotoGP some sites give a choice Local or Your Time for the full schedule.....where is that for F1 please?

Edited by Edge

51 minutes ago, Edge said:

Re Timing of events, for those in Thailand, one handy source is the Udon News.

You can d/l the Pdf for the whole year.

http://udon-news.com/en/events/formula-1-calendar-2017-with-thai-start-times

For MotoGP some sites give a choice Local or Your Time for the full schedule.....where is that for F1 please?

Cheers in Bangkok for the Brazilian GP this year was in Pattaya last year, hope it is shorter than last year's :D

6 hours ago, Kim Jong Il said:

So, no more Renault at Red Bull.......

And a few other snippets.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/41265779

Yep, no surprise that Renault gave them the boot considering the history. They are now forced to take Honda lumps from 2019. It's all a nice tie in with the MotoGP team though and who knows, the Honda could be the class of the grid by then!

RULES

1NQq.gif

Red Bulls Riciardo at the top of FP1 and 2 earlier today. Interestingly Vettels fast time (10th) in FP2 was done on the soft tyre, he didn't bother with the ultra. Working on race pace and perhaps planning a 1 stop race?

RULES

1NQq.gif

Seems like a lot of the changes are now 'official'.

BBC sport has an article this morning         http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/41248320

Now what if Honda a storming development year with Torro Rosso next year and the following season Red Bull Honda walk away with the title......with Alonso at the wheel.......

3 hours ago, Kim Jong Il said:

Seems like a lot of the changes are now 'official'.

BBC sport has an article this morning         http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/41248320

Now what if Honda a storming development year with Torro Rosso next year and the following season Red Bull Honda walk away with the title......with Alonso at the wheel.......

On 13/09/2017 at 14:47, Pepe Le Pew said:

Of course Honda isn't out of the game yet. A lot of people who know their onions think Honda have done all the difficult stuff and could well be on the upward slope from now. It would be very funny if Torro Rosso beat Mclaren next year. I wouldn't bet against it because if 1 thing is ever clear in F1 it's that whatever move Alonso makes it's generally the wrong one :)

Alonso has burnt his bridges with Honda (and a few other people in F1, remember there was a Merc seat going for next year and Alonso, one of the best pedallers,  was contract free!) in the same way RB have with Renault so whilst Honda could end up the best engine on the grid one day I think it's highly unlikely they'll ever employ him again.

That said never say never in F1. Who have thought Mclaren would ever employ him again!

• Like 1

RULES

1NQq.gif

Blistering lap from Vettel sees him on pole followed by the two Red Bulls.

Mercedes seemingly not at the show today.

Two Mclarens in the top ten.....

Could be an interesting run to the first corner tomorrow.

42 minutes ago, Kim Jong Il said:

Blistering lap from Vettel sees him on pole followed by the two Red Bulls.

Mercedes seemingly not at the show today.

Two Mclarens in the top ten.....

Could be an interesting run to the first corner tomorrow.

Can't see how Hamilton can get to the front in this race unless we have incidents .

Hoping the Red Bulls push Vettel all the way . 

Mikeyboy

Just now, mikeyboy said:

Can't see how Hamilton can get to the front in this race unless we have incidents .

Hoping the Red Bulls push Vettel all the way . 

Mikeyboy

I'm thinking interesting run to the first corner could be between Vettel and Verstappen.

Max is often quite sharp off the line and Vettel has a lot to lose whereas Max hasn't.

Agree, can't see Mercs getting to the front unless there are incidents.......see interesting run to the first corner.

It was never going to be a Merc track and it's not an easy track to overtake on. Hamilton was .6 off of Vettels time which is a sizeable gap plus Ferrari have been working hard on race pace and strategy. It's really just a weekend of damage limitation for the Mercs and one of opportunity for the RBs. It's Vettels to lose and luckily for us fans the see-saw season continues.,

• Like 1

RULES

1NQq.gif

Mclaren Honda should get an honourable mention for 8th and 9th and roughly 1.5 secs off the pace but only a tenth behind the Renault :)

RULES

1NQq.gif

Hmmmm.....I thought the start might be interesting!

Omg. What's this Raikkonen doing?

Takes out the complete top in the first corner. 

And again a DNF for verstappen 

Well done Ferrari certainly squeezed the fuck out of Verstappen

Edited by mbamber

5 minutes ago, eXplosief said:

Omg. What's this Raikkonen doing?

Trying to avoid Verstappen who is on his turn trying to avoid that clown Vettel ... 

4 minutes ago, jerry said:

Trying to avoid Verstappen who is on his turn trying to avoid that clown Vettel ... 

I agree Vettal cut across too fast Raikkonen some fault as well and Verstappen completely innocent and bad luck to Alonso was just typing I would be amazed if he finishes but they called him in.

• Like 2