IGNORED

Formula 1

Kim Jong Il

Finally....underway....but wets, intermediates......

Well that was fun Lance Stroll 0n front row after Red Bulls take penalties !

Not the usual grid we've come to expect!

Congrats to Hamilton with the new record.

Shame for the Red Bulls having to start at the back. They could have made things difficult for Ferrari.

Well Ocon & Stoll both will run their own race so Vettal is Technically 3rd might hold him up for a few laps should be fun. Kimi will be ordered to give way.

Edited by mbamber

Well every now and then it pays to watch it on catch up.

Very enjoyable qually. Stroll did v well, as did Ocon. I bet Perez is spitting bullets :)

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

4 hours ago, mbamber said:

Well Ocon & Stoll both will run their own race so Vettal is Technically 3rd might hold him up for a few laps should be fun. Kim will be ordered to give way.

Kimi looked awful out there, not sure why Vettel ended up behind him in Q3. Tomorrow is another day and supposedly a dry one.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

On 22/08/2017 at 22:27, mbamber said:

It is very soon getting to the point of engine penalty points for some of the major teams but Mercedes still are only on the 2nd of the 4 allowed. 

Vettal is on his 4th and last Turbo Raikkonen  is on his 3rd as far as I know. Also Red Bull both cars on their last MGU-H.

McClaren-Honda well they have used everything so whatever they change will get a penalty.

Well when I posted that I did not expect today's race 9 drivers with Engine penalties.

Max be mad again.

Hamilton

Bottas

Vettel

Very comfortable for the Merc's and Hamilton leads the title chase for the first time this season.

Excellent drive by Ricciardo....where would he have finished without the penalties!

Another double retirement for Mclaren. Expect the end of the Honda deal to be announced this week. In will come Renault.......

Singapore next. Not a power circuit so could be interesting.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Edge said:

Max be mad again.

Rightly so

If he didn't have bad luck , he'd have no luck at all .

Mikeyboy

The Honda saga should be revealed within days. I'm going against the smart money here. Everyone says they'll part with Mclaren and either got to TR or simply become a supplier for 2019. I think they'll stay with Mclaren.

So where does that put Alonso. Again the smart money says Maccas will have Renaults and he'll stay. My theory is he'll stay even with Hondas. It's not like he's got a lot of competitive options despite his comments to the contrary. Yes he could walk into a competitive WEC or FE drive but it doesn't compare.

The rest of the season is shaping up to be interesting. Mercs were less dominant than expected in Spa so Ferraris Monza hopes were high. Merc then smashed them to little pieces. They turned their engines down after 20 laps and won with a 30 sec gap, crazy! Will the see saw of performance swing again in the next few races, I can't wait!

RULES

1NQq.gif

49 minutes ago, Pepe Le Pew said:

The Honda saga should be revealed within days. I'm going against the smart money here. Everyone says they'll part with Mclaren and either got to TR or simply become a supplier for 2019. I think they'll stay with Mclaren.

So where does that put Alonso. Again the smart money says Maccas will have Renaults and he'll stay. My theory is he'll stay even with Hondas. It's not like he's got a lot of competitive options despite his comments to the contrary. Yes he could walk into a competitive WEC or FE drive but it doesn't compare.

The rest of the season is shaping up to be interesting. Mercs were less dominant than expected in Spa so Ferraris Monza hopes were high. Merc then smashed them to little pieces. They turned their engines down after 20 laps and won with a 30 sec gap, crazy! Will the see saw of performance swing again in the next few races, I can't wait!

Alonso might be pissed off but he is paid a lot of money rumoured to be the highest paid & McClaren gets a lot of it's budget from Honda so I await the news:D

On the other hand Christian Horner is going to try and get the rules changed for next year which is supposed to reduce the number of engines used from 4 to 3. He wants it held at 4 or increased to 5 I think 3 might be going to far so hope he succeeds.

Though it can't be discounted I'm not sure $ is much of a motivator for Alonso anymore. Senna once offered to drive the Williams FW15 for free. Alonso could be a bargain buy for Merc if they wanted him (I don't think they do)

Yes 3 engines next year. Personally I hate the engine limit for 2 reasons. 1, it's partly to blame for the massive rise in reliability. Not that long ago it was virtually unknown for a driver to finish a season without a single engine failure. they were pushed to the limit technologically and thrown away after each race. They even had special engines just for qualifying. I remember being on the edge of my seat even when a car was in the lead wondering if it would make it to the end. That's virtually gone now. 2, the silly engine penaltys, I think 65 grid places is the record leading to the well worn joke that a particular driver (often Alonso) will be starting the race from (insert last grand prix here).

RULES

1NQq.gif

Sainz's move to Renault confirmed (jog on Jolyon :) ). Looks like the huge jigsaw swap around has started. Expect Honda Renault Torro Rosso Mclaren news any minute

RULES

1NQq.gif

On 9/6/2017 at 19:25, Pepe Le Pew said:

The rest of the season is shaping up to be interesting

Personally, I think the rest of the season is going to be a snooze ... Mercedes will run away with it now ... Ferrari will start getting engine penalties.  Hamilton doesn't have a challenging teammate, so no drama there.  Hamilton turns his engine up for 5 min to take poll, then cruises to victory.

If you want racing, watch the F2 ... there was more good racing in the first 4 laps of the Monza F2 race than the whole year of F1.

Hoping the new owners are going to fix F1.  It's been stupid for too long.

Yes F2 is great if you want to watch hungry kids going for it in a stock series. There is also RallyCross if you want great racing and overtaking. I enjoy many series but F1 is watching the worlds best drivers (generally) pilot a technological battleship. The pendulum has swung a lot this year and although I'm not a fan of the current aero regs it has produced an interesting chpshp. You could be right, Merc may run with the ball but the smart money thinks it may not be so simple as the rest of the tracks are neither Spa nor Monza. That said if you think Lewis is the record PP holder because of a button on his steering wheel I think you've missed the point in a bigger way than talking sense can help.

• Like 2

RULES

1NQq.gif

The Ferrari has a shorter wheelbase & the car should have an advantage in Singapore we will have to see if Mecedes  Engine can overcome it British engines V Italian ones.

McClaren have a good car and could do well in Singapore as the Engine is not as important and if the self destruct fails the could well be in the top 10.

McClaren have signed 3 year deal with Renault from 2018 and Toro Rosso will take Honda engines it musical engines.:D

Edited by mbamber

And the latest Rumours Are that Porsche  are going to buy Red Bull and fit their designed engines in them from 2021 the next big spec change.

And Bottas signs another 1 yr deal with Merc. Toto keeping options open and the driver market interesting :)

RULES

1NQq.gif

So can we expect a new Alonso/Mclaren 1 year deal announcement soon.

17 hours ago, mbamber said:

And the latest Rumours Are that Porsche  are going to buy Red Bull and fit their designed engines in them from 2021 the next big spec change.

Rumours rumours

I haven't heard that, I heard Aston Martin have considered buying RedBull. Porsche have indeed half expressed an interest in building an engine but dependent on what engines F1 wants from 2021. Red Bull did talk to VW when they tried to ditch Renault so it's possible but there is a also the rumour that Porsche will tie up with Mclaren in 21, renewing their 1980s success although I'm sure Macca are very wary of trying to emulate previous successful tie ups now, you'd hope so anyway. I also heard the rumour that Honda may 'buy' Torro Rosso. I say 'buy' because the rumour is they don't want to 'own' a team as such so will finance someone else to make the purchase and run/name it etc. I know! Don't ask me, Honda are weird! 1 thing is clear though, the Dietrich Mater-shit is selling up rumours are getting stronger and stronger.

Either way you would expect both RedBull and Macca to be looking to get a manufacturer supply asap. Whilst it's a brave move of Renault to supply 2 of the best teams on the grid, both of whom you'd assume will be taking points off them next year, it's not an arrangement that sits comfortably with any of them.

Of course Honda isn't out of the game yet. A lot of people who know their onions think Honda have done all the difficult stuff and could well be on the upward slope from now. It would be very funny if Torro Rosso beat Mclaren next year. I wouldn't bet against it because if 1 thing is ever clear in F1 it's that whatever move Alonso makes it's generally the wrong one :)

RULES

1NQq.gif

11 minutes ago, Pepe Le Pew said:

So can we expect a new Alonso/Mclaren 1 year deal announcement soon.

Rumours rumours

I haven't heard that, I heard Aston Martin have considered buying RedBull. Porsche have indeed half expressed an interest in building an engine but dependent on what engines F1 wants from 2021. Red Bull did talk to VW when they tried to ditch Renault so it's possible but there is a also the rumour that Porsche will tie up with Mclaren in 21, renewing their 1980s success although I'm sure Macca are very wary of trying to emulate previous successful tie ups now, you'd hope so anyway. I also heard the rumour that Honda may 'buy' Torro Rosso. I say 'buy' because the rumour is they don't want to 'own' a team as such so will finance someone else to make the purchase and run/name it etc. I know! Don't ask me, Honda are weird! 1 thing is clear though, the Dietrich Mater-shit is selling up rumours are getting stronger and stronger.

Either way you would expect both RedBull and Macca to be looking to get a manufacturer supply asap. Whilst it's a brave move of Renault to supply 2 of the best teams on the grid, both of whom you'd assume will be taking points off them next year, it's not an arrangement that sits comfortably with any of them.

Of course Honda isn't out of the game yet. A lot of people who know their onions think Honda have done all the difficult stuff and could well be on the upward slope from now. It would be very funny if Torro Rosso beat Mclaren next year. I wouldn't bet against it because if 1 thing is ever clear in F1 it's that whatever move Alonso makes it's generally the wrong one :)

That is why they are saying it is a good deal for Red Bull if Honda sorts out the Engine & it is better than Renault then they will switch. The drivers keep saying the McClaren is a great car & handles well just a crap engine.

Porsche Rumours

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/porsche-poised-red-bull-buyout

I've just heard a horrible rumour. Palmer to Williams! They were looking at replacing Massa (Brazil $ has dried up plus he's old and slow) with Perez (lots of Mexican $ and quick) but for him Williams is sideways at best so he's staying at Force India. Wehrlein is out of a drive as Leclerc (Tis I, LeClerc! :) ) will be at Sauber but he's too young, Martini require at least 1 +25yr old driver.

I was never happy with Massa but please don't take Palmer. It shows a huge lack of ambition so no wonder their car is not improving!

RULES

1NQq.gif

4 minutes ago, mbamber said:

That is why they are saying it is a good deal for Red Bull if Honda sorts out the Engine & it is better than Renault then they will switch. The drivers keep saying the McClaren is a great car & handles well just a crap engine.

Porsche Rumours

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/porsche-poised-red-bull-buyout

Yep, seems like a good deal for all but Mclaren who now get a 2nd rate engine. If Honda ups their game and RB grabs their engine where would that leave Porsche. I think that the fact no one knows what the 2021 engines will be like yet means that Porsche (VW) haven't done any more than express an interest in perhaps making one. Of course if they do that then perhaps, one day, maybe, they might buy a team. I think that article is stronging it a bit. It's similar to me saying if I have a couple of good years I might buy a boat and someone else reporting that I'm going to buy a boat, it will be 28ft long, Green, have 2 x 4.2 litre Mercury engines and be called Linda!

RULES

1NQq.gif