IGNORED

Formula 1

Kim Jong Il

So this weekend see's the start of the new Formula 1 season with the season kicking off in Australia with the sport having new owners and no Bernie Eccelstone.

New cars. some new rules, all suppose to make it more exciting, more interesting and more competitive.......but will it?

Pre season testing in Spain it seemed the Ferrari's had the edge but first practice in Oz saw Mercedes in front so how will it pan over a long season? Will it be the same order as previous seasons or will Ferrari or Red Bull spring some surprises. 

Are we going to see a new Hamilton / Bottas rivalry taking over the Hamilton / Rosberg rivalry? Will Verstappen manage to outdo Riciardo? Will Vettal manage a win this season? Will Mclaren get within 5 seconds a lap of Mercedes and will they use less than 165 engines this season.

Hopefully a good season ahead.

Looking forward to it . 

The team with the best car will probably win,although there are drivers who are better than others,the car is definitely the star.Put the best driver in the world in a below average or average car, and he wouldnt have a cat in hells chance of becoming world champion.Put an average driver in the best car and he`d have a good chance of winning it!

If every team had the same resources and technology at their disposal,and the same car/engine specifications,it really would be a test of who the best driver is,alas the lesser teams just dont have a chance,yes the car is the star!

Edited by vimto66

So first qualifying of the season is over.

No real surprise's today, Hamilton, Vettel, Bottas and Raikonnen making up the top 4 places covered by 0.845 seconds. Times were quicker than last year with a pole of 1 min 22.188 compared to last years 1 min 23.837, so not the 4 or 5 seconds a lap quicker that we were hoping for.

Riciardo looks to be the unfortunate one having spun into the barriers on his home GP meaning he will start 10th or possibly 15th if they need to change the gearbox.

Don't know if its just me or maybe the camera angles but these cars look a lot wider than last year. I'm not sure the overall width but the front wing is 1.8 meters so probably around 2.2 meters....pretty wide.

The new Force India pink...hmmm, not sure about that but certainly different!

Anyway, hopefully a good race coming up tomorrow.

Here is a link I use for watching for those who may need it.

http://www.crichd.sc/sky-sports-1-live-stream

Select the link then click on Sky Sports F HD to watch the race.

You can use this link for all the other Sky Sports channels as well as BT and a host of others to get Premier league, Champions League etc. Just select the relative channel from the list of icons on the left.

Of course, the best driver at the moment - Daniel - will win....oh..he crashed out in Q3. Damn.  Fortunately there are all of 3 passing opps at Melbourne per lap

....now from 10th.

I can't imagine why Alonso is continuing to drive for McLaren ... the Honda engine sucks so bad and those dudes have no clue how to improve it.

5 minutes ago, cbmgolfer said:

I can't imagine why Alonso is continuing to drive for McLaren ... the Honda engine sucks so bad and those dudes have no clue how to improve it.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So first race of the season over.

Vettel

Hamilton

Bottas

Kimi

Verstappen

Bad day for Riciardo and about what was expected from Verstappen.

Lewis had a lot of complaints about tyres and grip but in the end he was well beaten by Vettel who seemed to have plenty in hand. Not a bad debut race for Bottas with his new team.

Fastest lap by Vettel which was about 2.3 seconds faster than last year.

Not a lot of overtaking but we will see what the next race brings.

Look forward to this season. First race was quite boring tbh. Race won by pit stop strategy. No overtaking. Doesn't bode well for exciting racing that Hamilton couldn't even attempt to pass verstappen after the first stop.

• Like 3

The petrol heads will always watch F1  and as a spectacle its great .

With no proper racing and overtaking it quickly becomes a bore .  Highlights package from Melbourne could have been crammed into a 2 minute slot .

Mikeyboy

Praise be for MotoGP......even from Qatar.

That F1 was hopefully as boring as it gets.

Qatar paid a fortune to stage the opening MotoGP......hope Melbourne didn't pay too much for that.

6 hours ago, Edge said:

Praise be for MotoGP......even from Qatar.

That F1 was hopefully as boring as it gets.

Qatar paid a fortune to stage the opening MotoGP......hope Melbourne didn't pay too much for that.

Yes although im not a big motorsport fan i`d rather watch the bikes,F1 becomes more of a procession each year,but its popular so who am i to say!

Do you guys think Verstappen will race for Red Bull in the next couple seasons? Will not be surprised if he signs with Ferrari when Raikkonen retires.
If Red Bull could build a car as fast as Mercedes/Ferrari he would win almost every race.

Edited by Magic040

I think Verstappen is a stick on for Ferrari once his contract is up.

Red Bull usually has the best aero. The fact they are no longer a works team isn't going to help them get back to the top.

Verstappen is great, love his don't give a shit style and has bags of potential but he's not F1's best driver. He doesn't currently make the top 3.

1 hour ago, Richie said:

I think Verstappen is a stick on for Ferrari once his contract is up.

Red Bull usually has the best aero. The fact they are no longer a works team isn't going to help them get back to the top.

Verstappen is great, love his don't give a shit style and has bags of potential but he's not F1's best driver. He doesn't currently make the top 3.

You mean he doesn't make YOUR top three.   :P

If you're only basing it on results so far, then of course you're right, but gtiven the dearth of entertainment value in F1 these days, for some of us he is potentially number one.

3 hours ago, Richie said:

Verstappen is great, love his don't give a shit style and has bags of potential but he's not F1's best driver. He doesn't currently make the top 3.

Who do you rank above him besides Hamilton and Vettel?
Keep in mind this guy is only 19 and still has 15-20 years in him, in a good car i could see him breaking Schumachers record of 7 championships.

Round 2 at the Shanghai circuit in China this weekend.

Friday free practise was almost a complete write off due to the weather. Half of session 1 and all of session 2 were cancelled due to the weather being so bad that the safety helicopter could not fly.

Verstappen posted the fastest time in session 1 but don't read too much into it as the other front runners did not manage any meaningful laps.

Could be an interesting qualifying session tomorrow as the weather forecast is good but the teams won't be able to rely on historical data for setting up the cars as its the first run for these cars here.

Bad weather is forecast for the main event on Sunday so that could mean we see a few 'incidents' during the race.

15 minutes ago, Kim Jong Il said:

Round 2 at the Shanghai circuit in China this weekend.

Friday free practise was almost a complete write off due to the weather. Half of session 1 and all of session 2 were cancelled due to the weather being so bad that the safety helicopter could not fly.

Verstappen posted the fastest time in session 1 but don't read too much into it as the other front runners did not manage any meaningful laps.

Could be an interesting qualifying session tomorrow as the weather forecast is good but the teams won't be able to rely on historical data for setting up the cars as its the first run for these cars here.

Bad weather is forecast for the main event on Sunday so that could mean we see a few 'incidents' during the race.

You have posted a question how to edit on a thread I was going to reply but it will not allow me to reply on that thread ?   The answer is you can edit for about 48 hrs it is next to the quote bottom left had corner but I suspect you might have a problem If so post on the thread for problems since upgrade. 

Thanks mbamber

So qualifying is over.

Same order of the top 4 as in Australia.....but pretty tight between the top three......5.9 cm or 1 one thousandth of a second between Vettal and Bottas!!!

Congratulations to Lance Stroll from me at least, top ten at only his second attempt.

And finally, what happened to Verstappen and will we see a Max charge though the field tomorrow....maybe, if Red Bull get things sorted, but having said that Red Bull seem to be quite a bit of the pace of the Mercs and Ferraris. Red Bull say Verstappens car had two cylinders down are now 'fixing' the engine.

Look forward to tomorrow, rain forecast for the race.

32 minutes ago, Kim Jong Il said:

So qualifying is over.

Same order of the top 4 as in Australia.....but pretty tight between the top three......5.9 cm or 1 one thousandth of a second between Vettal and Bottas!!!

Congratulations to Lance Stroll from me at least, top ten at only his second attempt.

And finally, what happened to Verstappen and will we see a Max charge though the field tomorrow....maybe, if Red Bull get things sorted, but having said that Red Bull seem to be quite a bit of the pace of the Mercs and Ferraris. Red Bull say Verstappens car had two cylinders down are now 'fixing' the engine.

Look forward to tomorrow, rain forecast for the race.

Should be fun tomorrow !

Much more entertaining race...........

...................Mad Max must be up for Driver of the Day?

Just now, Edge said:

Much more entertaining race...........

...................Mad Max must be up for Driver of the Day?

Yes indeed.

So Lewis and Seb as 1 and 2 which means joint leaders after 2 rounds.

Much better race than Australia but of course a much better track for racing.

A few noticeable points..... fastest lap somewhere around 5 seconds quicker than last year, DRS seems to not have as much effect as previous seasons and the 'dirty' side of the track seems to get a lot less marbles from these tyres so maybe gives a few more overtaking options?

Pretty close between the two Red Bulls in the end and of course Kimi will be cursing Ferrari for not bringing him in earlier.

Overall it looks like this season could be closer than the last few with a bit more racing possible and a bit less of the processions.

Next up Bahrain.

Verstappen will be the youngest champion in Formula 1 history before 2020.

5 minutes ago, Magic040 said:

Verstappen will be the youngest champion in Formula 1 history before 2020.

In a lot of ways I think that would be good to see from the point of view that other young and upcoming drivers will see that all things are possible if you've got it and use it correctly and maybe encourage the top teams to take a few more chances with younger drivers.