IGNORED

Smokin' Joe's BBQ in Soi Lengkee

China Garden

But the description of the Memphis rub is misleading. 

The dry rub on that style has been the same as on all the other flavors.

Memphis style is supposed to have a more substantial crusty rub where the flavor is. 

The owner had openly acknowledged that and had said the restaurant was working on an actual Memphis style dry rub.

But as far as I know, this either hasn't been done or the owner doesn't read this thread anymore to provide an update.

Maybe he has decided to not bother with this improvement. Info about that would be appreciated as well.

What's the point of an owner's thread when the owner doesn't respond to questions? 

can you mix and match from steak and co next door...particularly with regard to food and the wine selection?.Had a particularly good chateau neuf de pape in steak and co 

17 minutes ago, SirL said:

Thanks Howie!

Cut out and keep on phone.  Now I know which day to come:

SmokinJoesBBQFlavs.JPG

If by "which day to come" you mean what day of the week has the flavor of ribs you prefer on special, don't stress. The waitress told us the last few times we visited that we could have any flavor ribs on any day as our special. 

Being Australian I know next to nothing about ribs, and how they should look or taste traditionally. What I do know however is the ribs at Smokin Joes are fantastic, beautifully tender and all the ones I've had were all a lovely taste. Plus a half rack is a really big feed once the two included sides are added, fantastic value for money in my opinion.

I certainly recommend giving the restaurant a try.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gnorman said:

If by "which day to come" you mean what day of the week has the flavor of ribs you prefer on special, don't stress. The waitress told us the last few times we visited that we could have any flavor ribs on any day as our special. 

Being Australian I know next to nothing about ribs, and how they should look or taste traditionally. What I do know however is the ribs at Smokin Joes are fantastic, beautifully tender and all the ones I've had were all a lovely taste. Plus a half rack is a really big feed once the two included sides are added, fantastic value for money in my opinion.

I certainly recommend giving the restaurant a try.

If that's really true, and it sounds like a good policy, they really should consider changing the advertising for the promotion. As is, they might be losing a lot of people that don't prefer the special of the day flavor. 

The flavor thing isn't rocket science. What the flavor is they do a last minute light soak in it and heat and serve that sauce in a side cup.

For their Memphis, no soak in any sauce, because it's supposed to have a special visible dry rub, but it's the same thin dry rub as the base for all the other flavors. 

Edited by Kreggerz

Just now, Kreggerz said:

If that's really true, and it sounds like a good policy, they really should consider changing the advertising for the promotion. As is, they might be losing a lot of people that don't prefer the special of the day flavor. 

Yes it's certainly true.

I agree they would surely get more business if it was advertised that way rather than just one particular flavor per day.

13 minutes ago, Kreggerz said:

The flavor thing isn't rocket science. What the flavor is they do a last minute light soak in it and heat and serve that sauce in a side cup.

For their Memphis, no soak in any sauce, because it's supposed to have a special visible dry rub, but it's the same thin dry rub as the base for all the other flavors. 

Have you ever thought of opening your own restaurant?as you are so the expert of every culinary experience known to mankind.sure would be a great success I can not wait and then I can send you countless emails about every minor detail of your menu.

4 minutes ago, Pepe Le Pew said:

The owner used to come here daily to update us, answer questions and respond to comments. Sadly I think the nit picking and general negativity from a small number of posters gradually, and understandably wore him down. Pages and pages of 'it's the wrong salt' or it should be 37 mins at 84 degree, not 35 mins at 86 to be a 'real' whatever whatever'. A few posters with nonsensical questions ruined it for the majority.

Yep the owner used to be a great sport but I can see why he stopped.Loads of absolute dribble about the salt,butter,now the rub.S&C and SJ are 2 of the best quality and well run restaurants in Patts with a cracking price point for the quality of the meals served .

11 minutes ago, Pepe Le Pew said:

The owner used to come here daily to update us, answer questions and respond to comments. Sadly I think the nit picking and general negativity from a small number of posters gradually, and understandably wore him down. Pages and pages of 'it's the wrong salt' or it should be 37 mins at 84 degree, not 35 mins at 86 to be a 'real' whatever whatever'. A few posters with nonsensical questions ruined it for the majority.

Gladly one of them is banned now,and I know that a few of us did our best to keep the owner posting as we enjoyed the food and love his entrepreneurial spirit.

Everyone is an expert it seems,but very few of them have ever had the nuts to put it on the line and do it for themselves as China Garden has done.

I still pop in and eat at Steak and Co everytrip,more often than not twice a trip,and have always found it enjoyable experience.

Will continue too.

6 minutes ago, Pheat said:

Yep the owner used to be a great sport but I can see why he stopped.Loads of absolute dribble about the salt,butter,now the rub.S&C and SJ are 2 of the best quality and well run restaurants in Patts with a cracking price point for the quality of the meals served .

Couldn't agree more.

Yes, by "which day to come", I did mean which day of the week had the flavour of ribs I prefer on special.  If all the flavours are actually served every day on special, that certainly opens things out a bit and makes going to Smokin' Joes easier.  I agree the advertising would be quite a bit more effective if it was simply "1/2 rack ribs any flavour" every day (as it used to be on ?Tuesday?), and I'd like it if one day a week there could be the 1/2 rack ribs + brisket for B495 that there used to be on Sundays.

I'm surprised asking about all this raises the tension around here as it seems to.  Not everyone in the target market for this restaurant knows about ribs in the way some Americans here seem to do - I've never eaten ribs anywhere but Pattaya and I openly admit I know very little about them as we don't eat anything like that here in France.  I know nothing at all about 37 minutes at 84 degrees or what a Memphis soak or rub is supposed to be.  However, I'm certainly in Pattaya for long enough (two months each year) to work my way around the selection of flavours I like the look of.

It is just about possible that the owner has already fixed the Memphis rub so new and improved Memphis thingys are already happening, but he doesn't fancy getting into the squabbling on this topic?  He's perfectly entitled to do Memphis rubs in whatever way works for him, and us guys just have to take it or leave it.

2 hours ago, Pepe Le Pew said:

Damn right !

Reading through this topic I wouldn't be surprised if the owner never posted again, If I was him I sure as hell wouldn't !

I would write off Pattaya Addicts as not worth my time and effort to make posts because of some of the persistent posters on here.

I guess some guys just cant understand what an irritating Mr Know-All repetitive pain in the ass they really are

If they can learn that shutting the fuck up really works for everyone's benefit and I'm certain that includes the owner, this topic would be interesting and help the guys business.

As it stands now its turned to crap although nearly all agree his food certainly isnt.

I had the rib special on Tuesday and they said only one side dish now instead of two as before. Still a good deal.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My girl is "different". A different one everyday.

6 minutes ago, Syd Tybil said:

I had the rib special on Tuesday and they said only one side dish now instead of two as before. Still a good deal.

Now THAT was worth posting !

Thanks for the info man and I'm sure its still worth visiting :D

Anybody know if the one side is only included during the Specials time or is it now all the time ?

Edited by CuppaTea
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kreggerz said:

My posts here are the message. 

Why are others insisting on how others should communicate?

This is an owner's thread. He started it. That invites public comments and questions. 

OK, enough already. 

No more posts from me here unless or until the owner provides an update on the Memphis ribs and then I'll thank him for the information whatever it is. 

I would echo the suggestion that you open your own business but not for the previously mentioned reasons. So you can see what a ball ache it must be when you start a thread to promote it and end up mired in the irrelevant minutiae and ceaseless criticism, the fixations or suggestions that 2 spears of asparagus is too much, not enough or overkill, whether the dressing should be put on the left or the right etc etc etc ad nauseum.....

You asked already. He may or may not answer but keep on asking and the odds of being ignored shoot up. The vast majority of reviews are positive. If you are in the area and feeling hungry go check it out for yourself. What do you have to lose. Or alternatively don't, just in case the ribs are wrong.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

4 hours ago, Syd Tybil said:

Thanks for the update.

can you mix and match from steak and co next door...particularly with regard to food and the wine selection?.Had a particularly good chateau neuf de pape in steak and co 

Not sure if it's their official policy to do so but I have indeed been able to order items from steak and co menu while at smokin joes.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

I've been a little critical about Smokin' Joes but when it all boils down to it....it's a great restaurant.  I recommend anyone to go. 

3 hours ago, Cardinal said:

Not sure if it's their official policy to do so but I have indeed been able to order items from steak and co menu while at smokin joes.

thanks for that

I ate in Steak and Co yesterday being Wednesday and had the daily early bird special,excellent however wine expensive but my choice to purchase.

today being Thursday ate in smoking Joe's and again excellent with great margaritas at 99 baht...

i commend the food and layout of the 2 places however very quiet in an afternoon but its low season...

Sorry I not been on for a while, I was in the UK for a while then focusing on some changes at Steak & Co. After trying "Early Bird Specials" in various formats we have decided to opt for "All Day Specials" with different choices each day. We have had to look at some prices over-all in the menu and taken off the 99 baht Margarita as we couldn't afford to do it all day , we try our best to price fairly based on all the factors. 

Good news also is "All Day Specials" will come to Steak & Co for low season possibly beyond! I will look back over the thread and try to address any issues. 

External Sign Smokin' Joe's BBQ 100x200cm.jpg

• Like 2

The sign should be changed tomorrow (Saturday) to avoid confusion if the sign's not changed then its not live

About the rib's fall off the bone vs some bite, we tried with some bite when we first opened and overwhelmingly people preferred fall off the bone which was kinda sad for me personally but we have to give the customers what they want.  

On 2017-5-18 at 14:46, Cardinal said:

Yes it's our policy to serve customers anything they want from either restaurant, I recently removed Fajitas, Rib's and any cross-over products from Steak & Co in order to reduce the menu size but we are happy for customers to order from either or both restaurants and sit where ever they feel most comfortable. 

On 2017-5-18 at 01:52, CuppaTea said:

Now THAT was worth posting !

Thanks for the info man and I'm sure its still worth visiting :D

Anybody know if the one side is only included during the Specials time or is it now all the time ?

This may upset some people, the Specials were the same as the normal menu which came with 2 side dishes. However, so much food was coming back to the kitchen untouched or was taken away we have decided to reduce it to one side dish per order (both menu or special) BUT we do now automatically give a small coleslaw with the dish. We have reduced food waste significantly, we have reduced the amount of take-away containers and we are actually now selling a few sides as extras which is kinda good for us as a business.