Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Smokin' Joe's BBQ in Soi Lengkee

China Garden

Good luck with the beans and other sides.

Looks like you're going with soupy beans. Oh well. I was hoping you'd modify to a dense beans dish which would be more typical with American BBQ. 

Some more feedback ... sorry.

Take it or leave it of course.

Tried the carne asada fajitas. Of course fajitas are much more of an American dish than a Mexican dish but there are still certain flavor expectations with the dish.

The sides were nice, especially the guacamole.

4 large flour tortillas, I thought too many considering the portion of the meat/veg. sizzle. You could easily cut to 3 and I doubt anyone would complain, or even 2 if it wasn't a share dish.

The actual dish. Well the beef didn't really have the distinctive Mexican carne asada flavor experience going on. The portion of meat and veg. on the small side considering all those tortillas especially. The flavoring in the sizzle reminded me of Worcestershire steak sauce which is of course totally wrong. Not saying it had that sauce literally, but that's the flavor I got, and that isn't Mexican.  

Perhaps when the Mexican amigo chef is in town he can help tweak those flavors. 

It wasn't bad for Thailand but not as good as I had hoped.

Another person commented the carnitas didn't really taste like carnitas. That doesn't surprise me after tasting the carne asada.

I would be a huge plus to offer an actually spicy cooked side (probably red tomato and chili) salsa other than your mild and decent salsa fresca (that comes gratis w/ tortilla chips on all order) with the actual Mexican dishes. 

Up to you whether to care, of course, it's more of an American BBQ place than Mexican anyway and I reckon you could get away with keeping the Mexican stuff at your current level from a business pov.

Ribs. 

Ordered the Memphis expecting a dry rub and no sauce as the menu says.

I reckon I got Tennessee bourbon instead with sauce.

I didn't bother complaining as I wanted to try the bourbon BBQ sauce anyway. I liked it better than the Kansas City with the chicken.

If I'm wrong and those were Memphis ribs with dry rub, well then something would be very wrong, as there was no spice flavor on the naked ribs except for the smoke flavor. But the base ribs are indeed quite nicely done. That's the star feature of your BBQ joint, so congrats again on that.

So what's up with the Memphis dry rub? Are you really doing that at all or was there a kitchen mistake? 

Another person mentioned the portion of BBQ sauce (in a cup) was on the small side.

Yes, it really was. 

Look, I know I mentioned bread a number of times, but if your policy is going to be such a small portion of BBQ sauce, I think I'll backtrack on the bread suggestion. The bread is mostly for sopping up BBQ sauce. If there's very little sauce, really no need for bread.

I personally don't have a big personal issue with the sauce portion size, it's just barely enough, but not enough to need bread.

Tried the standard coleslaw you've got. Good!

Also, I did try the Firehouse chili as a special. I'm not an expert on that dish, but the flavors were really very good. That said, considering the ingredients and small portion size (simply served with white rice) I think the regular menu price on it is wildly overpriced. OK on special though.  Chili is generally a cheap dish. Just saying. 

Cheers and best wishes with your already buzzing BBQ operation. 

Edited by Kreggerz

Good luck with the beans and other sides.

Looks like you're going with soupy beans. Oh well. I was hoping you'd modify to a dense beans dish which would be more typical with American BBQ. 

Some more feedback ... sorry.

Take it or leave it of course.

Tried the carne asada fajitas. Of course fajitas are much more of an American dish than a Mexican dish but there are still certain flavor expectations with the dish.

The sides were nice, especially the guacamole.

4 large flour tortillas, I thought too many considering the portion of the meat/veg. sizzle. You could easily cut to 3 and I doubt anyone would complain, or even 2 if it wasn't a share dish.

The actual dish. Well the beef didn't really have the distinctive Mexican carne asada flavor experience going on. The portion of meat and veg. on the small side considering all those tortillas especially. The flavoring in the sizzle reminded me of Worcestershire steak sauce which is of course totally wrong. Not saying it had that sauce literally, but that's the flavor I got, and that isn't Mexican.  

Perhaps when the Mexican amigo chef is in town he can help tweak those flavors. 

It wasn't bad for Thailand but not as good as I had hoped.

Another person commented the carnitas didn't really taste like carnitas. That doesn't surprise me after tasting the carne asada.

I would be a huge plus to offer an actually spicy cooked side (probably red tomato and chili) salsa other than your mild and decent salsa fresca (that comes gratis w/ tortilla chips on all order) with the actual Mexican dishes. 

Up to you whether to care, of course, it's more of an American BBQ place than Mexican anyway and I reckon you could get away with keeping the Mexican stuff at your current level from a business pov.

Ribs. 

Ordered the Memphis expecting a dry rub and no sauce as the menu says.

I reckon I got Tennessee bourbon instead with sauce.

I didn't bother complaining as I wanted to try the bourbon BBQ sauce anyway. I liked it better than the Kansas City with the chicken.

If I'm wrong and those were Memphis ribs with dry rub, well then something would be very wrong, as there was no spice flavor on the naked ribs except for the smoke flavor. But the base ribs are indeed quite nicely done. That's the star feature of your BBQ joint, so congrats again on that.

So what's up with the Memphis dry rub? Are you really doing that at all or was there a kitchen mistake? 

Another person mentioned the portion of BBQ sauce (in a cup) was on the small side.

Yes, it really was. 

Look, I know I mentioned bread a number of times, but if your policy is going to be such a small portion of BBQ sauce, I think I'll backtrack on the bread suggestion. The bread is mostly for sopping up BBQ sauce. If there's very little sauce, really no need for bread.

I personally don't have a big personal issue with the sauce portion size, it's just barely enough, but not enough to need bread.

Tried the standard coleslaw you've got. Good!

Also, I did try the Firehouse chili as a special. I'm not an expert on that dish, but the flavors were really very good. That said, considering the ingredients and small portion size (simply served with white rice) I think the regular menu price on it is wildly overpriced. OK on special though.  Chili is generally a cheap dish. Just saying. 

Cheers and best wishes with your already buzzing BBQ operation. 

The pictures of the beans was before it hit the smoker :-) I did say that but its my bad for not posting the before and after.... problem was the after went in the bin as I wasn't happy. Basically we start with a excess of Liquid and cook it down to intensify the flavour, they will be dense once we cracked the receipt.  

We marinate our ribs over night with our dry rub which has a ton of ingredients in, paprika, onion power, garlic power, cayenne etc etc ... It's then smoked, the Memphis Ribs is basically how we pull'em from the smoker, no sauce just plain old Smoked Rib's with the BBQ Rub. All the others styles like Tennessee or Kansas are basted with that particular sauce and put in to the oven to re-heat, we then serve extra sauce on the side which matches which style you ordered, I will look at the size of the sauce give as I do have some larger silver cups available. 

For now I want to focus on the Southern BBQ food and our Rib's & Brisket is what I'd like to be known for, I will revisit the Carnitas and Asada and make sure they are following the recipe Chef Gus left us. 

Thanks,

Ian

• Like 2

Thank you for the information on your BBQ process for ribs.

Still confused about what I got by ordering Memphis as your menu says no sauce at all on that.

I still guess the side sauce I got was the Tennessee.

Since you don't seem to be doing a special dry rub for the Memphis in addition to your default rib prep, I  do think you're doing the right thing serving a side sauce with it. Otherwise, really not enough flavor. 

I really thought the dry Memphis style was supposed to be spicier by a dry rub with flavors that would normally be in a wet sauce. Something that you could easily see on the plate.

Something like this picture where you could actually see the dry rub:

dryribs.jpg

Live and learn. 

Im sitting in smokin joes after my meal not knowing what to think

Ordered the 1/2 ribs and smoked chicken 1/4 with mash and col slaw .... 495b .... when I get my meal I think they have forgotten the chicken but it was under the ribs .. the chicken locked really small . Sorry the chicken didn't have any real smoky taste ... ribs were ok but they give you this little thing of bbq sauce im sure I could have asked for more. .. mash was just that potatoes just mashed up nothing in it no sailt pepper or butter col slaw very dry maybe thats the way it should be I don't know im from Australia the only bbq I see is on tv ...

Service was very good everyone helpful placed looked fantastic and clean ... maybe it was a bad day for the kitchen I dont know but I want to go back and try something different or will I go next door to lone star

Edited by frankiet035

Im sitting in smokin joes after my meal not knowing what to think

Ordered the 1/2 ribs and smoked chicken 1/4 with mash and col slaw .... 495b .... when I get my meal I think they have forgotten the chicken but it was under the ribs .. the chicken locked really small . Sorry the chicken didn't have any real smoky taste ... ribs were ok but they give you this little thing of bbq sauce im sure I could have asked for more. .. mash was just that potatoes just mashed up nothing in it no sailt pepper or butter col slaw very dry maybe thats the way it should be I don't know im from Australia the only bbq I see is on tv ...

Service was very good everyone helpful placed looked fantastic and clean ... maybe it was a bad day for the kitchen I dont know but I want to go back and try something different or will I go next door to lone star

They kitchen has been informed to give a larger pot of sauce, I will check today they are doing it every time. We do smoke the chicken but I agree it's not a particularly heavy smoke taste, we do brine the chicken so they stay moist but somehow it seems to reduce the smokiness, i'll check to make sure they are adding the additional smoke tube when cooking, whilst I'm at it I will check the  mash, its usually mixed with unsalted butter and a little pepper. The slaw is kinda like the way American's like it, not too much mayo with a tang of vinegar to help cut through the BBQ sauce.. but again the sides are something we are working on this week 

More BBQ beans went in today .... I'll post pictures later

• Like 3

Thank you for the information on your BBQ process for ribs.

Still confused about what I got by ordering Memphis as your menu says no sauce at all on that.

I still guess the side sauce I got was the Tennessee.

Since you don't seem to be doing a special dry rub for the Memphis in addition to your default rib prep, I  do think you're doing the right thing serving a side sauce with it. Otherwise, really not enough flavor. 

I really thought the dry Memphis style was supposed to be spicier by a dry rub with flavors that would normally be in a wet sauce. Something that you could easily see on the plate.

Something like this picture where you could actually see the dry rub:

attachicon.gifdryribs.jpg

Live and learn. 

Another slight issue is the re-heating, once cooked and cooled we Vac Pack the rib's into portions, for re-heating during service we drop the sealed vac pack bag  in to hot water for 10 minutes, the take out the bag, coat with the required BBQ sauce and in to the oven for 5 minutes (remember they are cooked this is just reheating) .. This process ensures the rib's dont try out in the oven whilst the BBQ sauce caramelises. The ideal scenario for Memphis Rib's is the come straight out the smoke, rested for 10-15 min and severed thus maintaining the integrity of the bark formed on the outside.   

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

We kinda follow this Memphis Dust receipt

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup paprika

1/4 cup garlic powder

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 tablespoons ground ginger powder

2 tablespoons onion powder

2 teaspoons rosemary powder

We leave out the Rosemary and add Garlic Powder and some Cayenne 

But there is all kinda of receipts out there.. not too many are that spicy, the Louisiana are spicer  

http://barbecuebible.com/recipe/memphis-style-ribs/

• 1/4 cups sweet paprika
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoons salt
  • 1 teaspoons celery salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
Edited by China Garden

Those are the larger metal cups for the BBQ Sauce, 11 5ml now up from 70 ml 

These are our new BBQ bean's, 4 types of beans, bacon, onion and lots of other things.... We might of reduced them a tough to far but when we re-heat we can let'em down a tough. 

IMG_2044.JPG

IMG_2045.JPG

IMG_2048.JPG

IMG_2049.JPG

• Like 2

Guess I now know where I'll be eating come my birthday in March. Smoked BBQ n craft beer= awesome!!

• Like 1

Room's look good. Arriving 02/03/17 for 25 nights. Do you think they will be ready?

I tried to PM you but it wouldn't send?

Room's look good. Arriving 02/03/17 for 25 nights. Do you think they will be ready?

I tried to PM you but it wouldn't send?

Yes I would have a 1st floor balcony room ready by then, my personal email is [email protected] 

finally my proper curly fry machine arrive .... that horrible domestic one is going in the bin !

IMG_1902.PNG

IMG_2060.JPG

ok....i,m here in Patts now and drulllllllling on my keyboard.

i know a few streets ...eg...beach rd , 2nd road , 3rd rd , patt south , central , north..soi 6...

we went out other night looking for it , and asked around...no one knows of it etc...

Lots of great pics and good reviews...

BUT ...

where the fuk is it?

ok....i,m here in Patts now and drulllllllling on my keyboard.

i know a few streets ...eg...beach rd , 2nd road , 3rd rd , patt south , central , north..soi 6...

we went out other night looking for it , and asked around...no one knows of it etc...

Lots of great pics and good reviews...

BUT ...

where the fuk is it?

We are in the 2017  Door to Door Book which is out now, they haven't updated their website yet but I guess it wont be long.  We are now also on Trip Advisor if anyone was thinking about leaving a review.  :GoldenSmile1:

cheers,

ian

any info on when you expect Door 2 Door to update their website...as of 13 January, your restaurant is still not listed

Ok I know I maybe being a little demanding here.....................but do you guys make corn bread too?

Cause beef ribs, beef brisket, smokey sweet bbq sauce, coleslaw and cornbread combined is enough to keep me away from the girly bars the whole trip!

(What can I say i am a big boy that loves food)

Ok I know I maybe being a little demanding here.....................but do you guys make corn bread too?

Cause beef ribs, beef brisket, smokey sweet bbq sauce, coleslaw and cornbread combined is enough to keep me away from the girly bars the whole trip!

They definitely don't, but I wish you hadn't mentioned it, because now I want some! I don't think anyplace in town has it. 

Thought I'd snap a couple of pics while ordering tonight. Can use this for door 2 door while waiting for their site to update.

84a009d363fe4722274f00152517f93b.jpg

de10d1b761e922858f6afb10e454a70b.jpg

3de7482d8a3cf8d48f8c381833c400b1.jpg

any info on when you expect Door 2 Door to update their website...as of 13 January, your restaurant is still not listed

We are live on Door to Door from last night !! They mi-spelt the name but that will get fixed

https://www.door2doorpattaya.com/restaurant/t9ia/14-smoking-joe-s-pattaya

We are live on Door to Door from last night !! They mi-spelt the name but that will get fixed

https://www.door2doorpattaya.com/restaurant/t9ia/14-smoking-joe-s-pattaya

Please notice and inform to change that the included side dishes with items are not listed for choice of selections.

There is a listing of all side dishes, does this mean that any can be selected from these as to be included when the menu choice permits inclusion ?

Example:

14016. Kansas City Classic BBQ Pork Ribs

Hickory smoked BBQ pork ribs in a rich sweet BBQ sauce with choice of 2 sides, half 445.00 baht

Could 2 side dishes included in this offer be

14044. Chilli Cheese Fries 180.00 baht
14054. Guacamole  190.00 baht

For no extra charge ?

Funny you ask, we don't currently but I will in the future ! The are also adding Creamed Corn shortly... 

Please notice and inform to change that the included side dishes with items are not listed for choice of selections.

There is a listing of all side dishes, does this mean that any can be selected from these as to be included when the menu choice permits inclusion ?

Example:

14016. Kansas City Classic BBQ Pork Ribs

Hickory smoked BBQ pork ribs in a rich sweet BBQ sauce with choice of 2 sides, half 445.00 baht

Could 2 side dishes included in this offer be

14044. Chilli Cheese Fries 180.00 baht
14054. Guacamole  190.00 baht

For no extra charge ?

I'm revamping the entire menu to include more options .. it should be ready before Friday. It will be a little clearer and more options... 

Here are a couple of pages as example.... It's not available yet but will be shortly.... the loaded french fries etc are on another page, some Appetisers have come down in price too

At the moment we use a Blue Cheese Dip but I know a lot of American's prefer Ranch Dressing which will be added later, takes a time to train the Chef's etc and we are working on new Coleslaw's etc

I will also fix the spelling mistakes haha

I will look at the side dish option / upgrade route on sides. The aim is to give the customer more choice..

Appetizers Page 1.jpg

Appetizers Page 2.jpg

Edited by China Garden

Just had a couple of things through door2door, and for fun I tried to order the exact things as I did in the restaurant when you opened.

The jalapeño poppers were ok, but not that much taste of jalapeños. But still the only place I know what makes them with actual whole jalapeños so I still enjoyed them

I also had Quesadillsa with pulled pork which was very tasty, especially the pork was very juicy and good! I would say they are the best I`ve had in Thailand.

I figured it would be good to let you know as well that it seems like door2door has a technical problem connected to ordering from your restaurant. I put in my order at 14.09 and after 1 1/2 hour I called them as I had recieved no food. They told me they had a technical problem which did that they didn`t get the orders from Smokin Joes through. They then confirmed the order and I recieved it about 50 minutes later lukewarm. 2 1/2 hour wait for some food is pretty long, and I hope you don`t miss out on other orders because they don`t go through properly. Obviously not a problem on your side, but figured it was good for you to know.