IGNORED

Smokin' Joe's BBQ in Soi Lengkee

China Garden

On 2017-5-17 at 21:27, SirL said:

Yes, by "which day to come", I did mean which day of the week had the flavour of ribs I prefer on special.  If all the flavours are actually served every day on special, that certainly opens things out a bit and makes going to Smokin' Joes easier.  I agree the advertising would be quite a bit more effective if it was simply "1/2 rack ribs any flavour" every day (as it used to be on ?Tuesday?), and I'd like it if one day a week there could be the 1/2 rack ribs + brisket for B495 that there used to be on Sundays.

I'm surprised asking about all this raises the tension around here as it seems to.  Not everyone in the target market for this restaurant knows about ribs in the way some Americans here seem to do - I've never eaten ribs anywhere but Pattaya and I openly admit I know very little about them as we don't eat anything like that here in France.  I know nothing at all about 37 minutes at 84 degrees or what a Memphis soak or rub is supposed to be.  However, I'm certainly in Pattaya for long enough (two months each year) to work my way around the selection of flavours I like the look of.

I agree with your commends, we have now changed back our daily specials to different types of food and made it available all day.... try tried something, it didn't work so we changed it :)  

• Like 1

On 2017-5-17 at 19:22, Loom said:

Is take-away possible?

Yes we love doing take-away orders and will soon have a take-away menu available which we hope to get into some bars locally, no home-delivery is planned but we are in Door to Door 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, steak&co said:

This may upset some people, the Specials were the same as the normal menu which came with 2 side dishes. However, so much food was coming back to the kitchen untouched or was taken away we have decided to reduce it to one side dish per order (both menu or special) BUT we do now automatically give a small coleslaw with the dish. We have reduced food waste significantly, we have reduced the amount of take-away containers and we are actually now selling a few sides as extras which is kinda good for us as a business. 

Man its your business but the practical application is you've just hiked the prices for the same 2 side meal

I'm sure its still good value but its not now as good as before.

Me ?, I would have kept the 2 sides but reduced the portions, if wastage really was the overriding concern, not increasing profits, because its nice to have a couple of sides included for variety, but would have listed them as being "Including 2 small sides" and having the "normal" sized sides as additional priced larger options.

Edited by CuppaTea

1 minute ago, CuppaTea said:

Man its your business but the practical application is you've just hiked the prices for the same 2 side meal

On one hand I agree that by reducing 2 side dishes to 1 side dish is a negative, on the other hand you can now get 295 Baht Any Style Ribs "All day" rather then before 18.00 pm previously and we do plate the dish with Coleslaw which is one of the most commonly requested side dishes in addition to the free side dish offered. So much food comes back in to the kitchen as waste it's startling and when I look at my food expense costs the percentage was way too high.  But thank you for your comments they are fair, so far no one has complained in the restaurant and I hope the over-all improvements I will continue to make will keep people coming back for years to come.   

• Like 3

You can't please everyone all the time.

I like some of the specials changes, and dislike others.

Cut off at 6 PM was OK for me but I can see the general appeal of all day. 

I very much like that you've varied the menu on the specials, and not only ribs.

But with that, I don't like that a number of the daily specials are combos, which don't interest me.

Coleslaw is nice. Is there still a choice of the mayo or vinegar style on the included portion?

Of course I very much do not like that you've nixed the included two sides. I liked to mix up the choices and never thought it was too much food (but I don't order combos). Feels like less value now even with specials prices. 

It really is too bad that the customer demand is for falling off the bone but makes sense to please customers even if they're off base.

Your business, your choice. The customers can decide.

Edited by Kreggerz

If these new Specials are for times including the evening they'll be good for evening diners but do less for lunchtime/afternoon because they've gone up in price from the original EBS.  That'll mean a few more bums on seats in the evening but less daytime customers.  I had the impression your evening business was already fuller than your daytime, but you're shaping it how you think best.  I personally would prefer the original EBS with the ribs+brisket at B495 until 5pm, or any ribs any day for B295.  I personally was never going to come to Smokin' Joes in the evening (I'm busy elsewhere then) so I'm only interested in daytime dining being at lower prices.

If the original point of the EBSs was to fill up empty seats during the day, this new structure does much less to achieve that.  If things get a bit quiet during the day, please reconsider the EBS in order to incentivise daytime bums on seats.

Edited by SirL

6 hours ago, steak&co said:

The sign should be changed tomorrow (Saturday) to avoid confusion if the sign's not changed then its not live

About the rib's fall off the bone vs some bite, we tried with some bite when we first opened and overwhelmingly people preferred fall off the bone which was kinda sad for me personally but we have to give the customers what they want.  

Thanks for replying about this. 

9 hours ago, Kreggerz said:

You can't please everyone all the time.

I like some of the specials changes, and dislike others.

Cut off at 6 PM was OK for me but I can see the general appeal of all day. 

I very much like that you've varied the menu on the specials, and not only ribs.

But with that, I don't like that a number of the daily specials are combos, which don't interest me.

Coleslaw is nice. Is there still a choice of the mayo or vinegar style on the included portion?

Of course I very much do not like that you've nixed the included two sides. I liked to mix up the choices and never thought it was too much food (but I don't order combos). Feels like less value now even with specials prices. 

It really is too bad that the customer demand is for falling off the bone but makes sense to please customers even if they're off base.

Your business, your choice. The customers can decide.

That's true, I'm sure over-all we will attract more customers will an All Day Special. I have been sat in the restaurant and seen people get up and walk about because the special had ended at 18.00 pm and it was for example 21.00 pm (we used to give 30 minutes latitude on the order time). The coleslaw by default comes as mayo but we would happily change is to the vinegar based one upon request, hopefully it's not too painful explaining it to the girls but I will brief Jason the manager. Again I agree about the ribs but .........

9 hours ago, SirL said:

If these new Specials are for times including the evening they'll be good for evening diners but do less for lunchtime/afternoon because they've gone up in price from the original EBS.  That'll mean a few more bums on seats in the evening but less daytime customers.  I had the impression your evening business was already fuller than your daytime, but you're shaping it how you think best.  I personally would prefer the original EBS with the ribs+brisket at B495 until 5pm, or any ribs any day for B295.  I personally was never going to come to Smokin' Joes in the evening (I'm busy elsewhere then) so I'm only interested in daytime dining being at lower prices.

If the original point of the EBSs was to fill up empty seats during the day, this new structure does much less to achieve that.  If things get a bit quiet during the day, please reconsider the EBS in order to incentivise daytime bums on seats.

Yes in High Season we was full in the evening's and I wanted to entice more customers to eat during our quieter afternoon periods so our Early Bird Specials were pretty close to cost prices by the time you take everything in to account (especially Spices for the dry rub and for the home-made BBQ sauces). As we enter low-season there are less and less people here so we have to fight for every customer and other local BBQ establishments offer All Day Specials so we need to give people more of an option based on both price point and  time of availability. We believe our Smoked Ribs & Home-made BBQ sauces make us the best locally but I guess it's down the the customer to choose at the end of the day but we will continue to improve things as we have and always will.  

I like the concept of the combo specials. It gives customers a chance to try a new item along with enjoying a personal favorite. Many people will never order pulled pork or beef brisket by itself, but getting it in combination with their favorite ribs, that same customer may find a new favorite. [emoji3] of course the reverse is also true. One can order for the pork or brisket, and try. "Different" type of rib at the same time. (Think Carolina BBQ Ribs)

In regards to the sides that come with the specials, since a small coleslaw comes as part of every order, along with the side of your choice, each order is still coming with two side dishes.

StrikeEagle
"When you care enough to send the Best in the World"

Pussy Prices IMO, Beach Road (Coconut Bar) ST 500 - 800; LT 1000-1500, May be similar in Bamboo and PBG or slightly dearer: Bars and some massage places, bar fine 300-400; ST 800 - 1000; LT 1000-2000, may be cheaper later in the evening: Agogos, bar fine ST 700 - 1000 bar fine  LT 1500 ST 1500-2000, LT 2000-3500: IBar, Insomnia, other Discos, early  expensive getting cheaper as sunrise approaches but 1000-3000 depending: Feel free to PM me with updates

I have not forgotten about the Memphis style BBQ Ribs, we had a few problems with the Smoker's being in the kitchen and our extraction system. Next month I'm going to move the smokers to the roof of the building and build a prep kitchen up there with refrigeration etc etc etc. I will then be able to get more smoker's and offer more variations on the current style of BBQ ribs we offer, I'd like to offer a non fall off the bone rib with a thick heavy bark ....  who know's, long-term we could build one of these 

the-saltlick-pit.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SirL said:

I am going to pop into S&C for my lunch TODAY.Do you care to join me?

11 hours ago, CuppaTea said:

Me ?, I would have kept the 2 sides but reduced the portions, if wastage really was the overriding concern, not increasing profits, because its nice to have a couple of sides included for variety, but would have listed them as being "Including 2 small sides" and having the "normal" sized sides as additional priced larger options.

number one mistake to do in a restaurant is reduce the portions. Knocking off a side if making it known is up to the customer but if you wind up with less meat on your plated that is a huge problem.   When I was not making enough on a dish, I would charge more [which he is basically doing without making it more expensive] but never make the dish smaller. 

hard to make money in the restaurant business, you make 20% on food and 80% on drinks

1 hour ago, steak&co said:

I have not forgotten about the Memphis style BBQ Ribs, we had a few problems with the Smoker's being in the kitchen and our extraction system. Next month I'm going to move the smokers to the roof of the building and build a prep kitchen up there with refrigeration etc etc etc. I will then be able to get more smoker's and offer more variations on the current style of BBQ ribs we offer, I'd like to offer a non fall off the bone rib with a thick heavy bark ....  who know's, long-term we could build one of these 

the-saltlick-pit.jpg

Thanks for all that.

So there is still hope that your version of actual dry rub Memphis style ribs may still happen.

Can't wait. 

That's true, I'm sure over-all we will attract more customers will an All Day Special. I have been sat in the restaurant and seen people get up and walk about because the special had ended at 18.00 pm and it was for example 21.00 pm (we used to give 30 minutes latitude on the order time). The coleslaw by default comes as mayo but we would happily change is to the vinegar based one upon request, hopefully it's not too painful explaining it to the girls but I will brief Jason the manager. Again I agree about the ribs but .........

Honestly that sounds like it's likely that it would cause confusion, and mistakes with extra side dishes. 

Couldn't you just ask the staff to ask everyone which they'd like since everyone gets coleslaw anyone?

Maybe it's a way of softening the cut from two side orders, giving everyone a style choice for the included small coleslaw portion? 

Edited by Kreggerz

8 minutes ago, Kreggerz said:

Thanks for all that.

So there is still hope that your version of actual dry rub Memphis style ribs may still happen.

Can't wait. 

the-saltlick-pit.jpg

smart move on the roof.   the best bbq in the western part of the states is    Dr. Hogly Wogly's Tyler Texas BBQ       they have a separate building with this sort of bbq, only a lot bigger.   the roof will work great

• Like 2

I will say it again, with the addition of serving coleslaw with every special, there is not a net reduction in the number of side dishes being served on each plate.

In regards to the repeated request for "real Memphis style " ribs, I would respectfully point out that the difference between a Memphis style rub and a Kansas City Style rub is primarily the amount, and style, of sugar content. Prior to the application of sauce, when cooking KC style, the look and texture of the two style of ribs is strikingly similar. Having sampled and tasted ribs from across the US, I'm pretty comfortable stating that the cooking method currently on offer by Smokin' Joe's can not truly be criticized as non-Memphis Style.

As a KCBS certified BBQ judge, I can honestly say that there is truly no formal differentiation between the base styles of rib or rub. Feel free to browse the hundreds of pictures and videos of award winning ribs from across the US. nowhere will you find a described difference beyond the application of sauce in the preparation and cooking.

I applaud Smokin' Joe's for offering such a wide verity of regional BBQ options. Unless your name is Tuffy Stone, Chris Lily, Paul Kirk, or someone with equivalent credentials, arguing over regional authenticity is likely out of your League.

As for the installation of a salt lick grill to Smokin' Joe's, if it ever comes to that, I will be the first in line to hire on to run that portion of the operation for this rising star of the Pattaya restaurant scene. [emoji1595]

StrikeEagle
"When you care enough to send the Best in the World"

Pussy Prices IMO, Beach Road (Coconut Bar) ST 500 - 800; LT 1000-1500, May be similar in Bamboo and PBG or slightly dearer: Bars and some massage places, bar fine 300-400; ST 800 - 1000; LT 1000-2000, may be cheaper later in the evening: Agogos, bar fine ST 700 - 1000 bar fine  LT 1500 ST 1500-2000, LT 2000-3500: IBar, Insomnia, other Discos, early  expensive getting cheaper as sunrise approaches but 1000-3000 depending: Feel free to PM me with updates

18 minutes ago, StrikeEagle said:

I will say it again, with the addition of serving coleslaw with every special, there is not a net reduction in the number of side dishes being served on each plate.

In regards to the repeated request for "real Memphis style " ribs, I would respectfully point out that the difference between a Memphis style rub and a Kansas City Style rub is primarily the amount, and style, of sugar content. Prior to the application of sauce, when cooking KC style, the look and texture of the two style of ribs is strikingly similar. Having sampled and tasted ribs from across the US, I'm pretty comfortable stating that the cooking method currently on offer by Smokin' Joe's can not truly be criticized as non-Memphis Style.

As a KCBS certified BBQ judge, I can honestly say that there is truly no formal differentiation between the base styles of rib or rub. Feel free to browse the hundreds of pictures and videos of award winning ribs from across the US. nowhere will you find a described difference beyond the application of sauce in the preparation and cooking.

I applaud Smokin' Joe's for offering such a wide verity of regional BBQ options. Unless your name is Tuffy Stone, Chris Lily, Paul Kirk, or someone with equivalent credentials, arguing over regional authenticity is likely out of your League.

As for the installation of a salt lick grill to Smokin' Joe's, if it ever comes to that, I will be the first in line to hire on to run that portion of the operation for this rising star of the Pattaya restaurant scene. emoji1595.png

This is Thailand and getting good bbq is a god send.  Between Rich Man Poor Man and Smoken Joes, we can have it both sides of town.    Thanks to both of them and so silly to keep on about this.   They have great BBQ, be happy with that

13 hours ago, steak&co said:

Yes it's our policy to serve customers anything they want from either restaurant, I recently removed Fajitas, Rib's and any cross-over products from Steak & Co in order to reduce the menu size but we are happy for customers to order from either or both restaurants and sit where ever they feel most comfortable. 

great news i love steak and co restaurant and am eager to try smoky joes --ty

9 hours ago, just hanging said:

number one mistake to do in a restaurant is reduce the portions. Knocking off a side if making it known is up to the customer but if you wind up with less meat on your plated that is a huge problem.   When I was not making enough on a dish, I would charge more [which he is basically doing without making it more expensive] but never make the dish smaller. 

hard to make money in the restaurant business, you make 20% on food and 80% on drinks

I didn't say reduce the meat portion or number of ribs, I did say to reduce the sizes of the two sides.

True we are still getting two sides but only one of them is our choice now, if someone doesn't want the slaw then its the same is only having one.

Can someone say I don't want the slaw but want onion rings instead ?, no I wouldn't  think so because if they could it would be back to the two optional sides being included.

S&C said the removal of the two sides option was to reduce wastage so reducing the portion sizes of those two optional but price included sides would eliminate this.

Now when you look at the price of the ribs to purchase an extra side is a price increase for the same meal of over 30% on the Special prices, but sure you now get the slaw wanted or not.

Its still a great deal but now less so, that's all I'm saying and unlike some in no way am I telling the guy how to run his business, what to serve or how to cook it.

My point is about the price increase for the very same meal but as I say, its still a really good deal and virtually every review on the web says how good the food is there.

Prices rise over time and we all accept that.

Edited by CuppaTea

13 hours ago, CuppaTea said:

I didn't say reduce the meat portion or number of ribs, I did say to reduce the sizes of the two sides.

True we are still getting two sides but only one of them is our choice now, if someone doesn't want the slaw then its the same is only having one.

Can someone say I don't want the slaw but want onion rings instead ?, no I wouldn't  think so because if they could it would be back to the two optional sides being included.

S&C said the removal of the two sides option was to reduce wastage so reducing the portion sizes of those two optional but price included sides would eliminate this.

Now when you look at the price of the ribs to purchase an extra side is a price increase for the same meal of over 30% on the Special prices, but sure you now get the slaw wanted or not.

Its still a great deal but now less so, that's all I'm saying and unlike some in no way am I telling the guy how to run his business, what to serve or how to cook it.

My point is about the price increase for the very same meal but as I say, its still a really good deal and virtually every review on the web says how good the food is there.

Prices rise over time and we all accept that.

have you ever run a business or just tell others how to do it.    try opening one and then get back to us, you will see that the restaurant prices the lowest price they can and still make a profit

had plenty of people come into my places.....wow, looking at the menu, I can get a pizza at pizza hut for half the price.    I say then go there, but ........I want yours cause it is the top rated one......duh

you also told someone they are paying too much for their girls and they shouldnt think about prices in their own country on another thread.   You should come here every two years instead of one and then you dont have to worry about the prices..........other people pay

Edited by just hanging

We are still waiting for the outside signs to be changed in order to start our new promotion, I'll post once they finally turn up.

• Like 2

gotta get my ass over there, food looks great

As posted on the other thread, here are the EBSs from a few months ago, which were quite a bit cheaper in some cases.  For example, the ribs + brisket has gone up by B100.

SmokinJoesEBS1.jpg

Edited by SirL