Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Smokin' Joe's BBQ in Soi Lengkee

China Garden

Could do both as doesn't Smokin' Joes have a Mexican chef? Why not exploit that talent to the max?

Yes! But can the Mexican chef cook, tex-mex and Socali mex?

On a side note, was not the original chef at S&C Mexican?

Yes! But can the Mexican chef cook, tex-mex and Socali mex?

On a side note, was not the original chef at S&C Mexican?

Any style of Mex, decently done, is very welcome and rare in these parts. 

The dishes I mentioned are both standard Mexican foods with the rancheros being more common. 

But it's a meat restaurant so use of shredded beef in machaca sounds like a good fit. 

Edited by Kreggerz

I am staying at china garden now and the construction noise is pretty annoying every day . It would be fait to warn guests about this beforehand i think... Hope it will be not to much for the next few days

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D6503 met Tapatalk

Hey, 

I'm a little bit worried since I booked a room (starting from January 17th) and quietness is one of my top priorities. Do you know if this construction will last a long time ? 

Some great pictures here. I wish you best of luck with your new business. Always liked Steak & Co. (yeah it's not cheap, but the quality...!) and will of course give Smokin' Joe a try next month. 

I love ribs and brisket. My fav rib style in most cases is babyback which i see you dont have on the menu BUT the best ribs I've ever eaten were actually not babyback ribs they were standard spare ribs, that you ate with no sauce because the smoke was amazing. I had those in Lockhart, Texas which is a famed BBQ city. In general i like bbq sauce on my ribs though. 

I always thought Pattaya needed a good american bbq place. I wish i knew about you guys when i was in town early Dec. Lucky for me I'll be in town for 9 days 2nd week of Jan and im 100% coming in. I'm not expecting ribs as good as Lockhart of course im just looking for solid bbq as i know its tough to get the same style of ingredients here.  The pictures look good to me thats for sure! 

Not sure of the drama on this post, uti will agree with kerggerz about the white wonderbread. Type bread..

I have no idea what country this guy is from or what could try the owner of this restaurant is from but I've heard his accent on TV and he's not American and neither is skalliwag.. I think he's Australian if not mistaken. ..

If you've spent the anytime at all down south or a great typically black owned BBQ joint then you know and if you haven't then you think a grill a so e BBQ sauce is great bbq... as I see on here people want it to fall off the bone etc. Good proper bbq pulls away from the bone with each bit and is tender but it never falls off as this means it's been steamed and grilled..

It never hurts to get some in put if asked as this owner has and at that point take it or leave it.. nobody knows everything and nobody opens a restaurant for themselves they open it becomes they have passion and want to serve the people.. if it's for yourself then just have friends over and party at home...

Skalliwag I agree some with you and I don't live far from you but the bbq in Seattle or the Pacific Northwest where we are isn't the carolinas, Kansas City or Tennessee, Mississippi etc.. even Texas which is beef mostly..

Go to big c buy a couple loaf for 20 baht and toss a piece or 2on the plate... there wanting to be authentic and charging a premium price so it's no harm..

Tony romas isn't bbq

I agree, falling off the bone is over cook .. the meat should pull off the bone cleanly but not wet mush.

Could do both as doesn't Smokin' Joes have a Mexican chef? Why not exploit that talent to the max? 

My Mexican Chef friend who works in a hotel in Bangkok came to Pattaya to train us, some thing's we simply can't buy in Thailand (certain peppers & masa de maiz) .. but we do the best with what we have. 

Fookin hell.

The chickens are too small, no free bread, no free pickles, the water to bean ratio is too high.

Well fuck me, didn't get those in Steak & Co either and somehow the steaks were delicious. Go figure.

Look forward to testing out the menu in February.

Best of luck - sure it will be another success for you.

Thank you. 

Im actually writing this review as i am sitting in the restaurant having polished off a half rack of Tennessee ribs. First off the restaurant has a nice feel,is well laid out and the seats are comfy. The staff are friendly pointing out the special and also the wifi password. Now onto the main event the food. Having a large appetite I was dubious about ordering a half rack but it was plenty! Now im no Gordon Ramsey or a restaurant critic but I am fairly well travelled and have dined at some well known establishments. The ribs were well presented on their own plate with a salad garnish and a small ramekin of sauce. They were perfectly cooked and the sauce was well balanced and not too sweet.They were succullent and tender and i could have easily finished a whole rack. The coleslaw was crispy and fresh and not smothered in mayonaise; the french fries were hot and crispy and again i could easily have eaten more. I forgot to mention the complimentary tortilla chips and tomato and onion salad while browsing the menu which was a nice touch.

The service was friendly and attentive without ever being intrusive. I have to say first impressions are really good and someone has clearly put a lot of thought into this restaurant. Really nice food and i will be back.

Thank you very much, I'm really pleased you enjoyed the meal & the service. 

Some great pictures here. I wish you best of luck with your new business. Always liked Steak & Co. (yeah it's not cheap, but the quality...!) and will of course give Smokin' Joe a try next month. 

Cheers

Ian

Here is the first look of our new rooms, I guess they will be completed in February. Love' em or hate' em I guess will the two reactions, try to picture it with the industrial style light wood furniture, the bed will be a nice pine colour too. We have just ordered brown blackout curtains. We also have a one bedroom available, all rooms will have large Smart TV's, fridges, safes etc and sofa's in 3 out of the 6 rooms 

I'd like to rent them monthly for around 18,000 Baht inc electric and water 

You can see the two building (steak & co + Smokin Joe's) are now connected and customers from either building can use the new entrance / exit with the secure key tag system

furniture.jpg

Rooms.jpg

Edited by China Garden
  • Like 2

I tried smoking joes for the first time two nights ago. I ordered delivery from door 2 door. Not working yet on website but we got the new book in our building. I had to try the ribs as I am a big rib fan and hard to find good ones in this town. Everything about it was a good experience. Chips were hot and crunchy, same style as steak and co. Coleslaw was proper coleslaw, not mayo with a few vegies floating in it like most places do. And the ribs...perfect. Not fall off the bone but easy pull off the bone. Great smoky flavour. Huge serving for a half rack. I probably could have finished it if I was determined but left some to eat later instead. If I had to come up with something to complain about I guess I would like a slightly larger amount of sauce than what came with the delivery service. Overall the best delivery I have had from door 2 door.

Can't wait to try the dine in as lots of things I like on the menu but it will be hard to make the gf move next door as she likes steak too much.

I tried smoking joes for the first time two nights ago. I ordered delivery from door 2 door. Not working yet on website but we got the new book in our building. I had to try the ribs as I am a big rib fan and hard to find good ones in this town. Everything about it was a good experience. Chips were hot and crunchy, same style as steak and co. Coleslaw was proper coleslaw, not mayo with a few vegies floating in it like most places do. And the ribs...perfect. Not fall off the bone but easy pull off the bone. Great smoky flavour. Huge serving for a half rack. I probably could have finished it if I was determined but left some to eat later instead. If I had to come up with something to complain about I guess I would like a slightly larger amount of sauce than what came with the delivery service. Overall the best delivery I have had from door 2 door.

Can't wait to try the dine in as lots of things I like on the menu but it will be hard to make the gf move next door as she likes steak too much.

Thank you very much for the feedback, you was our very first Door to Door order !! Hopefully we will be on the website in the next couple of days as they did say by New Year haha Thai time... The sauce thing is easy to fix, I will check at Makro for something better. 

Today I'm smokin a fuller Packer Brisket.... but it's Thai Wagyu Cattle !! I will post some pictures later showing how it comes out, but there was some decent marbling in the meat so I'm expecting it do be really moist. (we did trim off the hard fat on the underside shown in the bottom picture) 

There's a lot of improvements coming mostly our side-dishes, our current curly fry maker is pretty rubbish, so we ordered this Nemco from the States and will be here in the next week or so, we can then do thicker less greasy curly fries. We are going to make our own BBQ Beans and Creamed Corn this week too, we gonna sort our the bread and pickles on the plate.  

We are now on Trip Advisor  :GoldenSmile1:

IMG_1902.PNG

IMG_1943.JPG

IMG_1945.JPG

Edited by China Garden
  • Like 2

Today we smoked some Thai Wagyu Brisket ! Yes a farm has imported Australian Wagyu crossbred cattle and are rearing them in Thailand. 

The top images on the red board is the Thai Wagyu and the silver bowl in local Beef .... The Thai Waygu is very moist and flavourful but the is 60% wastage and shrinkage, 4.7 kilo went down to 1.6 kilo in slices ! The local beef has shrinkage and wastage but far less, sadly due to cost I'll probably have to stick to the local option, we might need to inject the local brisket to add moisture... both taken to 195 internal temp, wrapped at 165. 

Brisket.jpg

Edited by China Garden

Just been through and swept up most of 4 pages of irrelevant commentary from this thread.

This is 'China's' thread which he's started to keep folks abreast of his new business. If you've eaten there then I'm sure honest reviews are welcomed.  It is not for petty squabbles amongst BM's to be carried on page after page.

Pepe has already asked everyone to toe the line here.  Show some respect please. 

Perthie

• Like 2

Perthie's PA Bash and Bikini/Glow Party 19th May 2017.  Bikini clad girls in body paint, great food including pig roast, free shots, games and prizes for the lads and lasses.

6pm onwards at Sexy In The City (Soi 6) under the hosting expertise of the magnificent Xylanic.

May I suggest a take out menu is always included in any take out bag. That way I can phone ahead and you won't have me occupying your table whilst waiting.

Had a take out and wanted to eat in. Went yesterday but you were packed. Tried again tonight and the food was great again. I like the nachos you get whilst deciding what to order. Plus the wet towels. Nice touch. Not bothered about the bread (snigger!). Love the green sauce you serve with the tacos. What is it called? Do you serve it along with sour cream as a side dish? Ummm...sour cream.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." Jack Handey

May I suggest a take out menu is always included in any take out bag. That way I can phone ahead and you won't have me occupying your table whilst waiting.

Had a take out and wanted to eat in. Went yesterday but you were packed. Tried again tonight and the food was great again. I like the nachos you get whilst deciding what to order. Plus the wet towels. Nice touch. Not bothered about the bread (snigger!). Love the green sauce you serve with the tacos. What is it called? Do you serve it along with sour cream as a side dish? Ummm...sour cream.

The appreciated free starter is just tortilla chips, not nachos.

I agree that's a really nice touch. The chips are served with salsa fresca.

Not sure what green sauce they serve with tacos as I haven't tried them there yet, but a common green sauce with Mexican food is called salsa verde.

You might like their fajitas, served with sour cream, cheese, guacamole, and salsa fresca (but not green salsa verde).

Great idea, I will get on that re the menu. The green sauce "cilantro sauce", I call it Salsa Verde but I'm sure someone will correct me :-)

cheers

Edited by China Garden

China, did you find the start up of SJ much easier than S&C?  If so what where the major hurdles you had with S&C that you avoided or tackled in a different way at SJ?

Cheers

Hi there,

Please let us know when you have new rollouts of new versions of your dishes.

For example, you said you're improving the beans.

I'd like to try that but want to know when that happens.

Two other ideas.

Offer a small portion of guacamole for the quesadillas or burrito order as an add on charge. I saw that a small portion was included with the fajitas. Many people may just want to purchase a small portion that size instead of a full portion as it goes so well with quesadillas and burritos. 

For people that order a large size of Memphis ribs, offer the option of getting one part dry and one part wet as is done in Tennessee.

Wild idea in case you get very bored someday or business ever gets slow and you want to add some excitement. 

Add Jamaican jerk chicken (their form of BBQ) to your menu served with a typical Caribbean rice dish.

Edited by Kreggerz

Here is the first look of our new rooms, I guess they will be completed in February. Love' em or hate' em I guess will the two reactions, try to picture it with the industrial style light wood furniture, the bed will be a nice pine colour too. We have just ordered brown blackout curtains. We also have a one bedroom available, all rooms will have large Smart TV's, fridges, safes etc and sofa's in 3 out of the 6 rooms 

I'd like to rent them monthly for around 18,000 Baht inc electric and water 

You can see the two building (steak & co + Smokin Joe's) are now connected and customers from either building can use the new entrance / exit with the secure key tag system

Rooms look good, I might pop in when I am there in late Feb if I can have a look ? I should be back later in 2017

Internet ?????

Hi there,

Please let us know when you have new rollouts of new versions of your dishes.

For example, you said you're improving the beans.

I'd like to try that but want to know when that happens.

Two other ideas.

Offer a small portion of guacamole for the quesadillas or burrito order as an add on charge. I saw that a small portion was included with the fajitas. Many people may just want to purchase a small portion that size instead of a full portion as it goes so well with quesadillas and burritos. 

For people that order a large size of Memphis ribs, offer the option of getting one part dry and one part wet as is done in Tennessee.

Wild idea in case you get very bored someday or business ever gets slow and you want to add some excitement. 

Add Jamaican jerk chicken (their form of BBQ) to your menu served with a typical Caribbean rice dish.

We tried 2 different types of BBQ receipts today, can't say i liked either, one used Mustard the other mostly tomato based  (picture is before smoked). Back to the drawing board , I'm gonna try multiple beans to give different textures, kidney, naval, pinto, i'll get the receipt right  then add bacon or pulled pork etc. 

Yes we once looked at Jerk Chicken, kinda thought it went off our Southern BBQ style ... I might try an Alabama White Sauce for Chicken

Once I fixed the bean it Creamed Corn's turn, then Vinegar Slaw

IMG_2007.JPG

IMG_2008.JPG

Edited by China Garden

Rooms look good, I might pop in when I am there in late Feb if I can have a look ? I should be back later in 2017

Internet ?????

Sure can look anytime.