IGNORED

Bite Me Bistro--Best New Place in Town

expatdude

Just had the black coq au vin for lunch; it was delicious.  The Internet cafe where I'm sitting now won't let me insert my SD card, so I'll post pics later.  

post-9139-0-71111700-1460104607.jpg 

Not your grandma's KFC chicken.

I had silkie chicken before in China.  As said, it has a bit more gamey taste than Western industrial chicken, as silkies are genetically different and generally free-range. Of course, the slow cooking and wine and cherry marinade has done away with any gamey taste in the Bite Me version. The meat isn't jet black but more of a greyish color. The couscous, which also contained quinoa, was outstanding.  

So if you've ever been curious about a bit of black cock- I mean rooster- Bite Me's coq au vin would be a good place to start.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if you've ever been curious about a bit of black cock- Bite Me's coq au vin would be a good place to start.

Evil

haha black cock!

Ding Ding ...... Please remember to like and subscribe.

Here's the pics from my lunch at Bite Me.

post-9139-0-92018900-1460123934.jpg

It was quiet around 2 pm, only four other guests.

This was the day's special, black coq au vin with Mediterranean couscous. It cost 250 baht and a bottle of SML was 75 baht.

post-9139-0-94733100-1460123939.jpg

post-9139-0-03285600-1460124048.jpg

post-9139-0-54508400-1460124053.jpg

post-9139-0-78213300-1460124056.jpg

The color of the chicken is unusual, but the taste is great. Coq au vin is a French dish that goes back to the Gauls and Romans.  It's traditionally been a way to prepare the meat of older, tougher birds like roosters by braising them in wine, with lardons and mushrooms for added flavor. It's come down through the years as a rustic dish that became popular in the 20th century.

post-9139-0-97746000-1460124050.jpg

post-9139-0-56615400-1460124061.jpg

However, it can be difficult these days to find roosters and other 'tougher" poultry that has a lot of connective tissue and stand up well to hours of slow cooking.  That's why silkie chicken is a good substitute.  It has a bit more gamey taste than agribusiness chicken which adds to the overall taste of the dish.

post-9139-0-12904100-1460123937.jpg

As said, the cherry and wine marinade, as well as the slow cooking, tamed the gamey-ness but  still left the meat with a lot of flavor.

post-9139-0-77709200-1460124063.jpg

The bones were only thing left on my plate.

post-9139-0-30874800-1460124068.jpg

Bite Me has distinguished itself by giving traditional dishes a new twist through creative use of non-traditional ingredients.  The presentation of its dishes has also been striking.  It terms of both taste and value for money, it's one of the best places to eat in Pattaya.

Evil

Thanks Evil. Though black cock won't feature regularly at the Bistro, some Addicts might be happy to know :)

This Monday's special our signature dish... Sesame Seared Rare Tuna served with a Seaweed and Pickled Vegetable Salad and Ponzu Dressing - main course at only 290 baht instead of 390!

A hint for tomorrow's special, a 'different' pizza. Chef Ewan likes to add his own slant on things :)

image.jpeg

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

I've always wanted a black cock.  Or at least a little bigger (sigh).

:GrinNod1:

I've always wanted a black cock.  Or at least a little bigger (sigh).

:GrinNod1:

You sure you got the right thread there old man?

You sure you got the right thread there old man?

I might have worded that wrong.   :Oops3:

A smoked salmon pizza is one of the very few things that could lure me out of my nice dry condo and into the water-throwing madness of Songkran in Pattaya. Sure enough, I got soaked and even worse, smeared with that goddamned white paste, both on the way to Bite Me and on the way back, but the special of the day was worth dripping wet clothes and the 240 baht it cost.

post-6485-0-71924700-1460559299.jpg

If you only think of pizza in terms of the Italian-American variation with a tomato sauce and melted mozzarella, the Bit Me version might take you by surprise.  It could just as easily (and accurately) be called Smoked Salmon on Round Flatbread, but that wouldn't be as much fun.

post-6485-0-46116800-1460559303.jpg

Basically, the flatbread base was cooked separately and a generous portion of smoked salmon was placed on it after the base had cooled a bit.  The capers and creme fraiche added the right touch; they complement the delicate flavor of the salmon but don't overwhelm it.  Please excuse the poor quality of the pics.  I don't dare take my DSLR camera with me during Songkran and used a waterproof compact camera instead. It's not very good for close-ups.

post-6485-0-25749700-1460559306.jpg

post-6485-0-91439900-1460559310.jpg

Supposedly smoked salmon pizza was first made by celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck at his flagship restaurant Spago in Beverly Hills, CA. Modern food legend has it that Puck ran out of bagels one day and used pizza dough as a substitute.  His smoked salmon pizza, topped with caviar, was big hit.

post-6485-0-73193100-1460559308.jpg

post-6485-0-29660600-1460559313.jpg

Not much more to say, other than if you get a chance, don't hesitate to try smoked salmon pizza at Bite Me.

Evil

devil.gif

^^^^^^^^.I'm gonna make one of those fuckers.That looks superb.

Fuck me good food is fun.I love it.

^^^^^^^^.I'm gonna make one of those fuckers.That looks superb.

Fuck me good food is fun.I love it.

In fact, it's a rather easy (and healthy) dish to make at home.

Evil

In fact, it's a rather easy (and healthy) dish to make at home.

Evil

Yes,but I'm gonna deep fry my capers so they are crunchy and open.

I love deep fried capers.

Back to normal after drown a farang week, some carbs after a few days starvation diet lol

image.jpeg

Today's special from 1pm til 10 - Pasta Quattro Formaggi 195 baht - Four Cheese Pasta

And a quick mention for the special on offer up @23 Pattaya Hill -

image.jpeg

Chicken Breast wrapped in Prosciutto, Roast Mediterranean Vegetables, Pea Purée, Capers, Butter Sauce - 180B Thursday Special

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

Something a bit different for tomorrow's special over at 23@PattayaHill...

Friday's Special @23 - from 3pm til 11pm. House-made Salmon Sushi with Chuka Wakame (seasoned seaweed), Pickled Mackerel Sushi, Grilled Barramundi with Green Noodles Nam Pla Wan and Wasabi Ball - 190B

image.jpeg

OMB, I should have known better than to open this thread while I'm trying to drop some weight. It's off to the kitchen for me...

Have a great Monday and come and enjoy today's special at Bite Me, served from 1pm - Baked Coriander Chicken with Mediterranean Veg, Gnocchi - 250 baht

image.jpeg

While up on the hill - Monday's 160 baht Special!

Chicken Chorizo and Borlotti Bean Lasagne with Beetroot, Cabbage and Tomato Salad

image.jpeg

Woke up a few time around 11am famished, but could not wait till 1pm opening time. By dinner time , other 'plans' took over.

Ever thought of opening at noon?

Had the garlic skin pork(?) and my friend had the lamb.....and it was terrible! We finished our plates and sent it back hoping for a freebie next time!

Seriously ..... the long cooked lamb was so soft and tender , it melted our mouths. Same sames for my garlic skin pork with the seasoned mash potato.... were an excellebt compliment to each other

Had the garlic skin pork(?) and my friend had the lamb.....and it was terrible! We finished our plates and sent it back hoping for a freebie next time!

Seriously ..... the long cooked lamb was so soft and tender , it melted our mouths. Same sames for my garlic skin pork with the seasoned mash potato.... were an excellebt compliment to each other

Lol glad you enjoyed it, hope many more to come!

For today Thursday it's Baked Salmon with a Balsamic Rocket and Parmesan Salad...

image.jpeg

Lol glad you enjoyed it, hope many more to come!

For today Thursday it's Baked Salmon with a Balsamic Rocket and Parmesan Salad...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Would have made it more if you opened at noon! ;)

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Confit of Duck on Prize-Winning Scottish Black Pudding with Poached Egg, Blackcurrant Sauce - 250 baht Tuesday Special

Man, you come up with the coolest combinations. Confit de canard is a huge favourite of mine.

To combine that with black pudding? Gutsy.

Archived